Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/alien

from that list, it looks like only Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus are the only movies worth watching. Is this correct? Or should i bother watching the other poorly rated ones too?

I plan to watch Covenant probably during memorial day weekend so i have a week to catch up
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject:

Aliens

best story

best sci fi

best effects
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject:

Alien vs. Predator 2
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

15 wrote:

from that list, it looks like only Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus are the only movies worth watching. Is this correct? Or should i bother watching the other poorly rated ones too?

I plan to watch Covenant probably during memorial day weekend so i have a week to catch up

The first two. I'm sure some will disagree, but in my mind, Prometheus was fodder for fanboys or at least those who saw all the rest and wanted some answers to questions posed in 1. It was on tv just last night, watched some of it. It's a different kind of movie than the first two. Then again, the 2nd is a different kind of movie than the 1st, but both are winners. The original is a classic.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Alien vs. Predator 2

How dare you... it's Alien vs. Predator Requiem
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Aliens

best story

best sci fi

best effects

yes, newt, but they counterbalanced her with 3 t-1 actors

the long version with the original edits taken out is a superior version, shows some of the colony, more of smarmy paul reiser with ripley (he was good too), shows a tiny bit more on the automatic guns scene, which was very minimal in the theatric release

this is the one i was able see at the movies when it dropped, so it has a special place for me. i did have the original alien death and destruction figure (not a doll), but i can't for the life of me pin down when i first saw alien 1, maybe early 90s, so to me the action blockbuster sequel was the standard. i appreciated the 79 version when i got around to it. definitely has a 70s "golden age of film" (per meryl streep) feel. i wonder if that movie with so much classically drawn-out suspense and minimal sight of the creature save for the end would have been a blockbuster in the mid 80s on. that last scene was visually beautiful per the standards of the day (espec when ripley awakens the alien and it yawns as lights flicker), but the long shot of sigourney's panty swatch as she lifted her leg into the suit probably wouldn't make the cut today for various reasons. tiny panties to boot. the shot made ripley appear even more vulnerable than if clothed, but i think that would be lost among those who'd find the heroine demeaned by that. point meant to be taken is that she was strong even while vulnerable. duality of woman. jungian

alien spec features are interesting. sw was the heroine of the film, but was an emotional young gurl per her admission and other cast would shake her by talking over her or trying to push her buttons behind the scenes to boost a scene, unbeknownst to her. reminded me a little of kubrick's handling of shelley duvall
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

15 wrote:

It's the sequel to Prometheus and takes place before the events in the original Alien if that helps put the timeline in order.

And yes, Alien, Aliens and Prometheus imho are the only ones worth watching. The rest are crap.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:

It's the sequel to Prometheus and takes place before the events in the original Alien if that helps put the timeline in order.

And yes, Alien, Aliens and Prometheus imho are the only ones worth watching. The rest are crap.

In which order shall I watch everything?
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

15 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:

Prometheus, covenant, Alien, Aliens.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

all, including AvP
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

there has to be one that should be between covenant and Alien 1, remember this is the prequel to the Alien 1 movie, but im sure something will happen to David but i guess that will be in the sequel to covenant (aka Prometheus 3 or covenant 2)

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Bleh, it was alright.

Did anyone catch the Bladerunner reference?
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Just saw it yesterday. Not bad. Better than Promethius I feel
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
there has to be one that should be between covenant and Alien 1, remember this is the prequel to the Alien 1 movie, but im sure something will happen to David but i guess that will be in the sequel to covenant (aka Prometheus 3 or covenant 2)

If it's not a trilogy, anthology or shared multiple universe saga nobody cares anymore lol.

The age of Netflix is upon us!!!
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

It was okay. Nothing too special and I think they tried too hard with the Walter/David scenes. I understand where Scott was going with that, but I don't feel like it really worked.

The first xenomorph breaking out of the guy's back was easily the best scene.

5/10
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:

Hate to do it, Josh, but I gotta disagree on that order, bro. If he watches in sequence, it will be more "wonderous" for him. The pilot and ship were seemingly the whole purpose for doing a prequel decades later. The thing that was explained in Prometheus is better left to imagination until that point, imo. In Alien, the Geigery ship and its curious contents I found to be very interesting and artistic. It was the most what the effy part of the film, the nebulous appearance of the mummified pilot. It's no longer the chestburster or the xenomorphs themselves. They're so engrained in pop culture that most people who haven't even seen them probably already know the gist (what they look like, what they do, etc).

But I've been wrong before a couple times. I actually liked Part 3 n 4. That white offspring of Ripley clone was disturbing as hell, haha.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I would do Alien, Aliens, Prometheus, covenant.

My memory might be hazy but for some reason I also enjoyed Alien 3 while it seems no one else did.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

non-player zealot wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:

Hate to do it, Josh, but I gotta disagree on that order, bro. If he watches in sequence, it will be more "wonderous" for him. The pilot and ship were seemingly the whole purpose for doing a prequel decades later. The thing that was explained in Prometheus is better left to imagination until that point, imo. In Alien, the Geigery ship and its curious contents I found to be very interesting and artistic. It was the most what the effy part of the film, the nebulous appearance of the mummified pilot. It's no longer the chestburster or the xenomorphs themselves. They're so engrained in pop culture that most people who haven't even seen them probably already know the gist (what they look like, what they do, etc).

But I've been wrong before a couple times. I actually liked Part 3 n 4. That white offspring of Ripley clone was disturbing as hell, haha.

Hey it's not me, it's that Ridley Scott dude that wants to go back and make cannan to a b roll sci fi flick. I'm just along for the ride.

And yeah, they tried with Winona Ryder and Forrest Whitaker but it pretty much died there for me. Making a back story imho helps erase everything since Aliens.

That said where are the damn space Marines already???
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Yeah, I would do Alien, Aliens, Prometheus, covenant.

My memory might be hazy but for some reason I also enjoyed Alien 3 while it seems no one else did.

Those are the only films that are in the same "universe" so to speak. Watching them in any order will line up. Any Alien movie outside of that has been disowned by the studio like Spiderman 3 or Ninja Turtles 4,5 and 6 when the sold the costumes to Rodger Corman.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject:

7/10

decent sci-fi

Fassbender is (bleep) top-shelf talent, guy was made for the screen and is versatile.

Another potentially gorgeous movie fallen victim to more over-blue color correction
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:

Here's the only issue with placing Alien(1979) right after Covenant.

its virtually the same movie.

lets take a look at its summary

Quote:
After a space merchant vessel perceives an unknown transmission as a distress call, its landing on the source moon finds one of the crew attacked by a mysterious life-form, and they soon realize that its life cycle has merely begun.

Now granted covenant was not receiving a distress signal. But they were receiving an unknown human's transmission on some new planet. And this is where it starts.

Truth is that makes Alien the same as covenant more or less. which means you then have to go to Aliens. but even that would not be correct. since its summary is:
Quote:
The moon from Alien (1979) has been colonized, but contact is lost. This time, the rescue team has impressive firepower, but will it be enough?

Post Covenant, David is about to go to the new starter planet with all these human hosts/embryos and get his science on and try to create the best alien life form he chooses. Then wait for anyone else from earth thats planning on coming to the same planet assuming everything is safe and is a go for the first colony that supposedly made it unscathed which we know that did not happen.

The only way i see aliens fitting in their is if someone in one of those pods wakes up without david's knowledge. The ship lands on that planet or a nearby moon. and the alien embryos he planted get into the babies or other humans some how and that starts it off. and they die off or maybe someone survives and they send out a distress signal. Because if that doesnt happen. David could easily land on that new planet. and have his way with all those human hosts. And set another trap for the next batch of humans that want to setup shop on that new planet. perhaps that next ship will be military because they havent heard back from the original colony ship. if so. that will be more like aliens. again meaning aliens doesnt need to be watched unless we wont continue this story after covenant.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Aliens movies must I watch to understand latest movie?

splashmtn wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
15 wrote:

Here's the only issue with placing Alien(1979) right after Covenant.

its virtually the same movie.

lets take a look at its summary

Quote:
After a space merchant vessel perceives an unknown transmission as a distress call, its landing on the source moon finds one of the crew attacked by a mysterious life-form, and they soon realize that its life cycle has merely begun.

Now granted covenant was not receiving a distress signal. But they were receiving an unknown human's transmission on some new planet. And this is where it starts.

Truth is that makes Alien the same as covenant more or less. which means you then have to go to Aliens. but even that would not be correct. since its summary is:
Quote:
The moon from Alien (1979) has been colonized, but contact is lost. This time, the rescue team has impressive firepower, but will it be enough?

Post Covenant, David is about to go to the new starter planet with all these human hosts/embryos and get his science on and try to create the best alien life form he chooses. Then wait for anyone else from earth thats planning on coming to the same planet assuming everything is safe and is a go for the first colony that supposedly made it unscathed which we know that did not happen.

The only way i see aliens fitting in their is if someone in one of those pods wakes up without david's knowledge. The ship lands on that planet or a nearby moon. and the alien embryos he planted get into the babies or other humans some how and that starts it off. and they die off or maybe someone survives and they send out a distress signal. Because if that doesnt happen. David could easily land on that new planet. and have his way with all those human hosts. And set another trap for the next batch of humans that want to setup shop on that new planet. perhaps that next ship will be military because they havent heard back from the original colony ship. if so. that will be more like aliens. again meaning aliens doesnt need to be watched unless we wont continue this story after covenant.

I don't write the movies so who knows, and yeah, they will probably make more prequel movies since Prometheus and Covenant seem to be doing well with Alien fans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: