Rob Pelinka: Lakers can be a top FA destination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
He's right. The Lakers are still in LA and they will always have their heritage. Problem is the previous administration was clueless in knowing how to sell these qualities.

One of the problem is it's difficult to know how to sell these qualities anymore. In an era of cable TV and social media, a player's recognition and personal interest don't hinge much on the team they play for. It would be hard to make a case that say LeBron or Durant would have had more success from a business or personal standpoint playing in Los Angeles compared to Cleveland or Oklahoma City. That's the biggest challenge in trying to leverage the Lakers brand. Perhaps it might matter more to a second-tier superstar, but not a big fish

Activeverb makes good points, but I am with The Grind on this one.

It is true that the current era of superstars doesn't seem interested in the Lakers or their brand, however the organization and the city still have way more to offer than any other team in the league.

The Lakers are the Yankees of Basketball, Manchester United, the Dallas Cowboys, the Montreal Canadians....they are the bomb and the other teams in a lot of peoples minds are barely relevant.

You think anyone outside of Dallas remembers their fluke title? No one cares. You come to LA and bring the Lakers back to glory? You are a legend.

So even though LeBron and Durant aren't into it, that doesn't mean that maybe an Anthony Davis or some other potential superstar wouldn't be if sold on it correctly.

I think we need a duo to come in, two superstars who want to come in and turn this thing around.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
He's right. The Lakers are still in LA and they will always have their heritage. Problem is the previous administration was clueless in knowing how to sell these qualities.

One of the problem is it's difficult to know how to sell these qualities anymore. In an era of cable TV and social media, a player's recognition and personal interest don't hinge much on the team they play for. It would be hard to make a case that say LeBron or Durant would have had more success from a business or personal standpoint playing in Los Angeles compared to Cleveland or Oklahoma City. That's the biggest challenge in trying to leverage the Lakers brand. Perhaps it might matter more to a second-tier superstar, but not a big fish

It is true that the current era of superstars doesn't seem interested in the Lakers or their brand, however the organization and the city still have way more to offer than any other team in the league.

The Lakers are the Yankees of Basketball, Manchester United, the Dallas Cowboys, the Montreal Canadians....they are the bomb and the other teams in a lot of peoples minds are barely relevant.

You think anyone outside of Dallas remembers their fluke title? No one cares. You come to LA and bring the Lakers back to glory? You are a legend.

So even though LeBron and Durant aren't into it, that doesn't mean that maybe an Anthony Davis or some other potential superstar wouldn't be if sold on it correctly.

I think we need a duo to come in, two superstars who want to come in and turn this thing around.

Because of Deng/Mozgof gonna be tough to get two superstars to team up anytime soon. Lakers need to develop a star get lucky to get one to come and they and the star we developed (Ingram, Russ or this year's pick) will have to recruit the other star to join. But there are some other things the Lakers can do to prove they are a team worth considering despite the (bleep) record.

1. World class facility (staples is still great and the new training center should be impressive along with their ties to UCLA and the world renowned medical research should be a selling point and at least this is almost done.

2. Hire a defensive guru - Lakers wont win without defense and Luke has a great offensive system but i dont see anyone on this staff the equivalent of what the dubs have with ron adams

3. Hire a Spurs level shooting coach. the work he has done with Leonard Green and Parker none who were great shooters when they arrived. Invest in the best to develop the young talent we have. Not sure Murray is good enough.

4. get a young analytics guru heck steal the best from someone else. Lakers have more ancillary income ... use that on infrastructure.

5. Build back the scouting department to pre- strike levels and expand on that. Hire a international scout that can find international talent. start drafting and stashing like the Spurs.

6. Hire the best strength and conditioning staff. Fitness can help mitigate some of the gap in talent.

There is no quick fix but by building the support structures around the team and coaching staff can help point us towards a run of sustained success down the line.

Also we need:

1. to keep the pick and make a smart choice
2. sign a Harrison barnes caliber FA (No he is not a superstar, but you need a young building block who is at least over 24 years old ...
3. get a breakout next year from russell or Ingram
4. Trade Randle or Nance for shooting and defense
5. buyout/retire Deng or mozgof
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Killakobe81 wrote:

Short term we need:

1. to keep the pick
2. sign a Harrison barnes caliber FA (No he is not a superstar, but you need a young building block who is at least over 24 years old ...
3. get a breakout next year from russell or Ingram
4. Trade Randle or Nance for shooting and defense
5. buyout/retire Deng or mozgof

1. Fingers crossed - out of our control.
2. Not sure I see any free agents in 2017 that really fit with our team and would sign with us.
3. Another fingers crossed.
4. I am not a fan of Randle, so I'd trade him.
5. Not sure a buyout helps -- don't see either of them giving up much money -- and a buyout remains on the cap. Could happen, but it might be better to hang onto them since they'll be more tradeable as their contract length shrinks.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:

I don't think "Save the Lakers and become a legend" is an effective sales pitch.

Basically, you have to build a team where a star sees he's the last piece to a contending team. That's really 90% of it. Stars want to win rings, and they don't really care what jersey they're wearing.

Coordinating two superstar free agents at the same time is hard --other than the Heat, I can't think of a time it's ever been done. And I don't think you can lure a superstar on the notion that another star will join him in the future.

Once you have the 90% in place, the Lakers brand becomes important.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:

I agree with you in principal, but I also think that no one wants to be the guy who didn't get it done. We've seen what being the next kid following Kobe looks like, who wants the pressure of that unless they've got a sure thing. And while Howard did himself in, there's no doubt the scorn of Lakers nation weighs on other guys.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I agree with you in principal, but I also think that no one wants to be the guy who didn't get it done. We've seen what being the next kid following Kobe looks like, who wants the pressure of that unless they've got a sure thing. And while Howard did himself in, there's no doubt the scorn of Lakers nation weighs on other guys.

True, but I think Lanny's last sentence is the key. If we are going to successfully pursue some sort of free agent or blockbuster trade scenario, we need to find a package deal with a couple stars, sort of like what Lebron arranged in Miami and then Cleveland. You are right that it is unlikely that some superstar would come to LA and try to do it himself. But if Pelinka could find a way to make a package deal where we sign two guys, or sign one guy with the understanding that we are trading for another, that could work.

While I think Lanny's got the right idea, the larger problem is that (as AV said) there isn't anyone on the free agent market who looks like they would be worth the trouble.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
While I think Lanny's got the right idea, the larger problem is that (as AV said) there isn't anyone on the free agent market who looks like they would be worth the trouble.

The trouble is over the next few years I think the market will mostly be second tier stars.

I think you're looking at Paul George and Demarcus Cousins in 2018.

That doesn't exactly sound like Lebron/Bosh/Wade though.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

DMC and PG13 in 2018 should have been the goal since last summer.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
DMC and PG13 in 2018 should have been the goal since last summer.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mf54eyz

put the top 3 pick S&T instead of ingram
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The trouble is over the next few years I think the market will mostly be second tier stars.

I think you're looking at Paul George and Demarcus Cousins in 2018.

That doesn't exactly sound like Lebron/Bosh/Wade though.

Yep. That's a formula for becoming one of those teams that is permanently rebuilding. A team built around George and Cousins would be good for 35-45 wins, depending on the strength of the remaining players.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

FYI if Pelinka and Magic..end up signing Griffin .. there will be many theories rather Mitch and Jim could have done the same thing.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

Possible hint for what is to come this summer.

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/846431550552006656

Quote:
The Lakers are the Lakers when there's a star in the building.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

With the dethroning of Jim/Mitch for Magic/Jeannie/Rob, I'm surprised people are surprised when I say that this new regime will look to make a big FA/trade splash this summer.

Drafting is great and all, and necessary under this new CBA, but we will look for a more ready-to-contribute star soon.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

With the dethroning of Jim/Mitch for Magic/Jeannie/Rob, I'm surprised people are surprised when I say that this new regime will look to make a big FA/trade splash this summer.

Drafting is great and all, and necessary under this new CBA, but we will look for a more ready-to-contribute star soon.

I think the new regime getting the itchy trigger finger makes a lot of sense. My concern/issue would be that there is no player out there who moves the needle.

We know FO will do what FO wants, but even a George/Butler and griffin combo at the expense of two of DLO/Ingram/top 3 pick just makes us into the nuggets or blazers.

Completely agree with you that FO is likely to go trade and FA route, I just don't believe that's the smart thing to do given where the lakers are at. Don't get me wrong though, Magic and pelinka probably have their eyes set on PG13/griffin or PG13/cousins combo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

I think the new regime getting the itchy trigger finger makes a lot of sense. My concern/issue would be that there is no player out there who moves the needle.

We know FO will do what FO wants, but even a George/Butler and griffin combo at the expense of two of DLO/Ingram/top 3 pick just makes us into the nuggets or blazers.

Completely agree with you that FO is likely to go trade and FA route, I just don't believe that's the smart thing to do given where the lakers are at. Don't get me wrong though, Magic and pelinka probably have their eyes set on PG13/griffin or PG13/cousins combo.

"Moving the needle" is so subjective. Missing 4 consecutive playoffs is basically the homeless version of the Lakers. In such a scenario, do the downtrodden Lakers consider having a modest but nice home (as compared to a mansion, i.e. championship caliber team) as "moving the needle," or do they continue to live in the alley turning down offers for a home in the hopes of a mansion?

I think we're at that phase, for better or worse, where we are about to accept the next decent house and not be so picky in only settling for a mansion.

So if it takes 1 premium asset + other fillers to get PG13 (we wont trade 2 of DLO/BI/Top 3 for him), I think the new FO will consider that "moving the needle."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

Im more then ready to see some fireworks.. the Lakers are as ready to get back to winning as fans are.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

This seems like an innocuous thing to say and hardly worth dissecting.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Pretty much. As the new GM, the media is expecting him to say something and this about all we can expect at this stage.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

I'm sure they feel pressure to do something very fast, and they're going to run into the issue that fans here have unreasonably high expectations. Lakers fans measure success in terms of dynasties, not in terms of putting together a contending team.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

I was planning on going at this thread hard for months. Thanks for calling it off!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

I'm sure they feel pressure to do something very fast, and they're going to run into the issue that fans here have unreasonably high expectations. Lakers fans measure success in terms of dynasties, not in terms of putting together a contending team.

Both guys have very public egos as well.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

Both guys have very public egos as well.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Magic is a world-class the-other-guy-did-it-not-me it finger pointer, almost on par with Trump, and he'll have a period where he'll be able to blame all problems on Jim buss. The question will be how he handles things if it remains Rocky after his grace period runs out
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

totally agree. FA's just need that assurance that the Lakers are on the way up again. Whether it be from the young guns making the playoffs next year or the Lakers acquiring a star FA or a star by trade - that's when other FA's will start getting real interested again.

the Lakers are still the marquee team in the NBA. they're just in a bit of a prolonged slumber; star and second tier FA's are waiting for them to open just one eye so to speak.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
the Lakers are still the marquee team in the NBA. they're just in a bit of a prolonged slumber; star and second tier FA's are waiting for them to open just one eye so to speak.

I don't know whether this is really true in the modern era of the NBA, but we're going to find out over the next two years.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:

the Lakers are still the marquee team in the NBA.

No they are not. We have to stop thinking like this. We don't have the most wins in history anymore nor do we don't have the most titles. We dont have the best training staff or the best coaching staff, or the best analytics department or the best scouting department or the best player development team.

What we do have is a massively inflated ego and a spinal injury from patting ourselves on the back every 5 seconds over our history and "exceptionalism." We don't even get courtesy FA meetings anymore. The past championships were great, but those and $5 gets you a latte in today's NBA. Greatness will not come find us. Our future successes will be a result of the work we put in to acquiring and developing players and building a new world class organization from the ground up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: