Devin Booker scores 70 points vs the Celtics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

That truely blow my mind. His confidence is gonna be through the roof. It could end up hurting him or making him take off.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject:

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/25/15057986/devin-booker-cooked-jae-crowder-one-more-time-with-an-instagram-comment
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/25/15057986/devin-booker-cooked-jae-crowder-one-more-time-with-an-instagram-comment

They lost the game...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Congrats on the 70, but screw the stat padding bush league tactics. Yeah it's hard to even hit 70 even under these circumstances, so I give him props for that. But gunning for stats is straight up loser ish. Other players have gotten skewered for this type of crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Towards the end when Booker's teammates were fouling the Celtics on purpose just so that he could get more possessions kinda left a sour taste though, still pretty impressive

Didn't see the game but from this ESPN report looks like what you are reporting.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18997459/devin-booker-phoenix-suns-scores-70-points-loss-boston-celtics

Quote:
Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas looked visibly unamused on the court.

"It was weird what they were doing," Thomas said. "I've never seen nothing like that, chasing those numbers. But it is what it is.

"I don't think anybody's ever seen that. To continue to call timeouts, continue to foul when we're up 15. But it was obvious what they were trying to do. They were trying to get him the most points possible. And hats off to him, though. He played a hell of a game."

so... they are up 15, did they expect the other team to just stop playing, rollover and die?
totally stupid comment from Thomas...

Pretty sure they expected the other team to rollover when they shut down Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight, and Tyson Chandler for the year.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Apparently Crowder wasn't even guarding Booker
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Just watched the highlight reel on the 70.

Most empty 70 pt. performance ever.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Drifts wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Towards the end when Booker's teammates were fouling the Celtics on purpose just so that he could get more possessions kinda left a sour taste though, still pretty impressive

Didn't see the game but from this ESPN report looks like what you are reporting.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18997459/devin-booker-phoenix-suns-scores-70-points-loss-boston-celtics

Quote:

"It was weird what they were doing," Thomas said. "I've never seen nothing like that, chasing those numbers. But it is what it is.

"I don't think anybody's ever seen that. To continue to call timeouts, continue to foul when we're up 15. But it was obvious what they were trying to do. They were trying to get him the most points possible. And hats off to him, though. He played a hell of a game."

so... they are up 15, did they expect the other team to just stop playing, rollover and die?

Come on, dude.

Seriously. They were intentionally fouling to stop the clock and get possessions, while giving the celts free points.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

After the game the team took a ridiculously derivative photo with Booker holding a handmade sign with 70 on it. I photoshopped out the 70 and replaced it with losers.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
danzag wrote:
Drifts wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Quote:

Come on, dude.

Seriously. They were intentionally fouling to stop the clock and get possessions, while giving the celts free points.

I am sure that's the main reason Booker scored 70. lol
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:

Great individual performance but they were literally down by 20 pretty much the entire game until the 4th quarter. Think it says a lot more about the people around Booker (look at who they put out on the floor), but still think it's partially on him as well.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

Great individual performance but they were literally down by 20 pretty much the entire game until the 4th quarter. Think it says a lot more about the people around Booker (look at who they put out on the floor), but still think it's partially on him as well.

My favorite part is the complaining at the 5 min mark about the foul call.

I wouldn't call the whole thing garbage time, they sliced it to 11 at multiple points. But it does rub me the wrong way that they'd do the whole fouling thing just to stat pad his number. It's the same thing that rubs me the wrong way about Wilt's 100 game.

Still incredible for a 20 year old though.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject:

Either Booker is the outlier on this list or he projects as a surefire HOFer. Willing to go with the latter if he remains healthy his whole career. No way someone should be dropping 70 at 20 years of age.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject:

Yes, he is a good NBA player, which in itself is an amazing acomplishment, and he had a crazy night, but let´s not get carried away by his performance.
I can´t see anything really remarkable in this guy. Actually some of his moves are a bit amateurish.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject:

I was rooting for and totally behind this whole thing until I read about the timeouts and intentional fouls. Ironic because they aped the photo where Wilt scored 100 and they actually took similar tactics to get him to 70. That was an argument why Kobes 81 was actually more impressive than Wilts 100 because his came within the flow of the game and were actually required for the Lakers to win a game.

Bookers team lost (by a fairly large margin), took exceptional tactics to keep getting him shots and as most people have pointed out he was a minus 6. It takes talent to score 70, no lie, but this is an empty as (bleep) performance and the celebrating like a madman after it, when you lost, leaves an even worse taste in my mouth about it. His whole "you can't guard me though" thing is juvenile as hell.

Sometimes its about more than numbers and stats.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
I was rooting for and totally behind this whole thing until I read about the timeouts and intentional fouls. Ironic because they aped the photo where Wilt scored 100 and they actually took similar tactics to get him to 70. That was an argument why Kobes 81 was actually more impressive than Wilts 100 because his came within the flow of the game and were actually required for the Lakers to win a game.

Bookers team lost (by a fairly large margin), took exceptional tactics to keep getting him shots and as most people have pointed out he was a minus 6. It takes talent to score 70, no lie, but this is an empty as (bleep) performance and the celebrating like a madman after it, when you lost, leaves an even worse taste in my mouth about it. His whole "you can't guard me though" thing is juvenile as hell.

Sometimes its about more than numbers and stats.

Preach.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject:

70 is 70, impressive

no different than David Robinson getting 70 robbing Shaq of the scoring title
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
danzag wrote:
Drifts wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Quote:

Come on, dude.

Nobody said that. It's a big reason he scored 70 and not just 55 or 60 though, that's the point.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

Moises wrote:
Congrats on the 70, but screw the stat padding bush league tactics. Yeah it's hard to even hit 70 even under these circumstances, so I give him props for that. But gunning for stats is straight up loser ish. Other players have gotten skewered for this type of crap.

they were good players though, booker is riding on an underdog ticket
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
danzag wrote:
Drifts wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Quote:

Come on, dude.

Nobody said that. It's a big reason he scored 70 and not just 55 or 60 though, that's the point.

fouling and stopping the clock, to get more possessions and scoring opportunities, is not a new trick for a team trying to catch up in a game...

it's not like the Suns were winning and trying to foul and get more possessions just to get Booker to score more points
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Most points scored in a losing effort in the NBA?

No I'm sure Wilt was up there

But most vs Celtics in NBA history

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
danzag wrote:
Drifts wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Quote:

Come on, dude.

fouling and stopping the clock, to get more possessions and scoring opportunities, is not a new trick for a team trying to catch up in a game...

it's not like the Suns were winning and trying to foul and get more possessions just to get Booker to score more points

Not down 15 with 5 minutes to go. It's transparent the Suns were not trying to catch-up last night. Just a ridiculous argument to try to make....
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

They were down 20 during the FIRST QUARTER
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Drifts wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
danzag wrote:
Drifts wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Quote:

Come on, dude.

Not down 15 with 5 minutes to go.
It's transparent the Suns were not trying to catch-up last night. Just a ridiculous argument to try to make....

are you serious? lol

you better watch MORE games.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Drifts wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
danzag wrote:
Drifts wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Quote:

Come on, dude.

Not down 15 with 5 minutes to go.
It's transparent the Suns were not trying to catch-up last night. Just a ridiculous argument to try to make....

are you serious? lol

you better watch MORE games.

And you should try watching the game you are discussing - since you clearly have no clue that there was nothing competitive or strategic about that fouling, beyond getting Devin as many chances to pad his scoring.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: