Before you post a "How bout this for Garnett" thread...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dag32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Before you post a "How bout this for Garnett" thread...

Since I have way too much time on my hands, I decided to post 5 fairly reasonable offers which work under the salary cap, other teams could make for Garnett that are better than anything we could offer short of Kobe.

Minny sends Garnett, Hudson, Jaric, and Griffin to Chi for Gordon, Thomas, Chandler, Piatkowski, Harrington and Deng

Minny not only gets cap relief from Hudson and Jaric's horrible contracts but rebuilds with Chandler, Gordon and Deng.

or

Minny sends Garnett, Hudson, Jaric, and Hassell to NY for Hardaway, Mo Taylor, Frye, Nate Robinson, David Lee, and Trevor Ariza.

Minny gets out from their 3 worst contracts (except for Blount) and rebuilds with NY's 3 first rounders from last draft plus Ariza. KG is reunited with buddy Marbury.

or

Minny sends the above to Dallas for Van Horn, Nowitzki, and Josh Howard.

Again Minny loses their worst contracts and has a bonified All Star in Nowitzki and budding star Howard. Dallas still has enough firepower to compete.

or

Minny sends out the same as to NY or Dallas to Ind and gets back Croshere, Bender, Oneil, and Granger.

only problem here is if Indy owner wants to spend this much

or

Minny again sends KG with Jaric and Hudson or Hassel to Phoenix for Marion, Diaw, Barbosa, Kurt Thomas, Brian Grant, and Jim Jackson

Minny does get of as much cap relief but gets back some serious young talent in Marion, Diaw, and Barbosa while Phoenix has Nash and Amare to go with Garnett

Note that none of these deals even include draft picks. For example Chi can trade NY's draft pick this year which should be a high lottery pick.

BOTTOM LINE: Before posting of ways that the Lakers can get Garnett, ask yourself, can we beat any of these deals?
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject:

There were plenty of better deals for Shaq, too, but it comes down to: Where does the superstar demand to be traded, and do you do so? I think given what KG has done for Minni, including taking less dough to make the team better, if he says trade me to LA, and only LA, it will be done.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
There were plenty of better deals for Shaq, too, but it comes down to: Where does the superstar demand to be traded, and do you do so? I think given what KG has done for Minni, including taking less dough to make the team better, if he says trade me to LA, and only LA, it will be done.

Agree 100%
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Before you post a "How bout this for Garnett" thread...

dag32 wrote:
Since I have way too much time on my hands, I decided to post 5 fairly reasonable offers which work under the salary cap, other teams could make for Garnett that are better than anything we could offer short of Kobe.

Minny sends Garnett, Hudson, Jaric, and Griffin to Chi for Gordon, Thomas, Chandler, Piatkowski, Harrington and Deng

Minny not only gets cap relief from Hudson and Jaric's horrible contracts but rebuilds with Chandler, Gordon and Deng.

or

Minny sends Garnett, Hudson, Jaric, and Hassell to NY for Hardaway, Mo Taylor, Frye, Nate Robinson, David Lee, and Trevor Ariza.

Minny gets out from their 3 worst contracts (except for Blount) and rebuilds with NY's 3 first rounders from last draft plus Ariza. KG is reunited with buddy Marbury.

or

Minny sends the above to Dallas for Van Horn, Nowitzki, and Josh Howard.

Again Minny loses their worst contracts and has a bonified All Star in Nowitzki and budding star Howard. Dallas still has enough firepower to compete.

or

Minny sends out the same as to NY or Dallas to Ind and gets back Croshere, Bender, Oneil, and Granger.

only problem here is if Indy owner wants to spend this much

or

Minny again sends KG with Jaric and Hudson or Hassel to Phoenix for Marion, Diaw, Barbosa, Kurt Thomas, Brian Grant, and Jim Jackson

Minny does get of as much cap relief but gets back some serious young talent in Marion, Diaw, and Barbosa while Phoenix has Nash and Amare to go with Garnett

Note that none of these deals even include draft picks. For example Chi can trade NY's draft pick this year which should be a high lottery pick.

BOTTOM LINE: Before posting of ways that the Lakers can get Garnett, ask yourself, can we beat any of these deals?

These deals will never be offered to Minnesota for a player who is very good but not young anymore and not so dominant...
dag32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:

Agreed there were better deals for Shaq. However, Shaq was an impending free agent, not to mention Buss knew if he didn't trade Shaq, Kobe would have likely left.

KG will not be a free agent for another couple of years. If Minny decided to trade him now he wouldn't have much say. Also, KG hasn't shown the same personality as Shaq. I don't think he'd be as vocal or disruptive. Also, KG likes Chicago, he probably wouldn't mind being traded there. He's a good friend of Marbury, probably wouldn't mind be reunited with him.

Yeah, he may want to come to the Lakers but he also could be happy going to a number of different places.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read .
dag32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Before you post a "How bout this for Garnett" thread...

Quote:
These deals will never be offered to Minnesota for a player who is very good but not young anymore and not so dominant...

Some might be a stretch. However, you think a team like Minny who has been craving a superstar since MJ and Pippen left and who has been shopping Gordon for a big man wouldn't want KG filling seats and arguably giving them a chance at a title which they don't have now.

Or how about NY who needs to satisfy their fickle fans. Larry Brown doesn't like anybody on his team and would be willing to get rid of all of them for someone like Garnett.

I think Phoenix would do it in a heartbeat. They may never win a title with what they have but adding Garnett to Nash and Stoudamire would make them instant contenders.

The point not whether these exact offers would be made, rather, that other teams have way more pieces than we do to trade for KG, both in young talent and in contracts to take on all of Minny's bad contracts.

KG is pipe for now. In another year or so when he gets closer to free agency, it may change.
ningtong88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Before you post a "How bout this for Garnett" thread...

dag32 wrote:

Some might be a stretch. However, you think a team like Minny who has been craving a superstar since MJ and Pippen left and who has been shopping Gordon for a big man wouldn't want KG filling seats and arguably giving them a chance at a title which they don't have now.

Who said Bulls are shopping Gordon, did you mean Duhon?
dag32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Before you post a "How bout this for Garnett" thread...

Quote:
Who said Bulls are shopping Gordon, did you mean Duhon?

I probably should have said rumor. I think there was some speculation that he was disgruntled with his playing time but that's changed recently.
dag32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:

jminges wrote:

Thanks for the insight Feel free to contribute more.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

jminges wrote:

Not even close. KG to LA threads are dumber
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: