Jim Buss has resigned as co-trustee for family trusts that own 66% of Lakers.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

What happened to "Venturalakerfan"? Has not been around for about two weeks. Is he Buss JR?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
What happened to "Venturalakerfan"? Has not been around for about two weeks. Is he Buss JR?

He is/was tight with someone high up - not sure if it was Jerry Buss, Jim Buss, Jerry West or just Joe McDonnell, but VLF has knowledge.

I almost NEVER agree with him - like 0.001% - but I hope he's OK. A third of my posts came from arguing with him from 2004-2010.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

He is/was tight with someone high up - not sure if it was Jerry Buss, Jim Buss, Jerry West or just Joe McDonnell, but VLF has knowledge.

I almost NEVER agree with him - like 0.001% - but I hope he's OK. A third of my posts came from arguing with him from 2004-2010.

He's fine, and I won't discuss it beyond that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
999 wrote:
is there any way Jeanie and AEG can get that soon soon guy off the executive list. hes a real (bleep) stain on the laker fabric

OK stepping over the racial overtones of doing his name like that, Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong is the minority owner and I've never heard a peep from him. So how is he a "stain on the Lakers fabric"?

this has nothing to do with race.... he benefits off of health care. not sure how much of it is actual research or money he got from pharmaceutical companies. the guy is not the squeakiest of clean businessmen. He is also getting sued for a securities violation.

also. You dont have to hear a peep from other than the fact that since he took over Magic's share the lakers started to have the worst luck. hes just a bad omen to have around. I would rather AEG or the Buss family to buy that portion back or possibly Jerry West to buy it.

He's an incredibly controversial guy in medical circles with some people thinking him a genius and some thinking him a carnival huckster. As a Laker owner, he's pretty much a nonentity.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
pmacla wrote:
so in essence what does all this mean for the Lakers ?

Basketball decisions will be made by basketball minds. I wish Mitch were still here.

If only I felt this was true.

I continue to have the sinking feeling that Magic and Jeanie are just clearing the way for the impatient "blockbuster move" they have in mind for the Lakers this summer. No matter the cost.

Hope they prove me wrong and I am concerned for no reason. I just see a business/ marketing move of bringing in an All-Star to build around will be the highest priority.

Its funny you said that because I had that feeling with Mitch/Jim, considering they even tried to trade Ingram and DLO for Cousins.

But exact opposite feeling with Magic/Jeanie.

I guess we all have our own interpretations and concerns.

Whether we agree with the strategy or not Kupchak and Buss have acquired assets with the bottom dwelling. Now the Lakers are at that fork in the road of decision making. Continue on that path and develop the young core or start making trades with those players for marquee names to market. One is a basketball decision, the other a business decision if done impatiently. Not sure I trust Magic and Jeanie to be patient.

I have seen the rumored trade scenario too. But it was unsubstantiated. If true, why wouldn't the Kings take that over the Heild package? I have my doubts that was the package. Maybe one and fillers, but both?

All I know is I am so thrilled the Lakers did not make that trade. I want nothing to do with Cousins.

wait wait wait. did you just say trade the kids for marquee players? how so? which ones?
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

Will he be back here or is it temporary?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

not sure if anyone cares but i believe he is a she.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

Ventura is a she? wow i had no idea
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

The farther Jimbo gets away from the Lakers..

The happier I am...!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
999 wrote:
is there any way Jeanie and AEG can get that soon soon guy off the executive list. hes a real (bleep) stain on the laker fabric

OK stepping over the racial overtones of doing his name like that, Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong is the minority owner and I've never heard a peep from him. So how is he a "stain on the Lakers fabric"?

this has nothing to do with race.... he benefits off of health care. not sure how much of it is actual research or money he got from pharmaceutical companies. the guy is not the squeakiest of clean businessmen. He is also getting sued for a securities violation.

also. You dont have to hear a peep from other than the fact that since he took over Magic's share the lakers started to have the worst luck. hes just a bad omen to have around. I would rather AEG or the Buss family to buy that portion back or possibly Jerry West to buy it.

People in the industry of medicine aren't in it because they like to give away their money. Look around the pharmaceutical industry, it is all about creating patents from certain treatments and making a killing off of it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
danzag wrote:
So he still owns 11% of the Lakers but doesn't have any control over it?

None of the Buss kids actually own even 1% of the Lakers.

The Trust, which is a seperate legal entity, owns 66% of the Lakers.
Income from Lakers Inc operations is paid into the Trust.
The Trust then distributes that to each of the kids on a 1/6th basis.

in other words, Jim (and Jeanie, Johnny, Joey, etc) owns exactly 0% of the Lakers. They get 11% of the profits each after it's been distributed to the Trust.

So Jimbo still gets a cut of the profits right? Just no control or voting rights anymore?
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Is the story true about Jim Buss hiring his bartender friend as a scout or just urban myth?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
999 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
999 wrote:

I hate to break it to you but most guys with the kind of money of Anschutz or Shiong didn't acquire it doing missionary work.

Lol. That's true

I just don't believe in a for profit health care.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Agreement puts Jeanie Buss in control of Los Angeles Lakers for life

Quote:
A battle over control of the Los Angeles Lakers is over after an agreement was reached to have Jeanie Buss serve as controlling owner of the storied NBA franchise for the rest of her life.

The agreement was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday and states that Jim and Johnny Buss have agreed that their sister will serve as the controlling owner. The filing ends weeks of uncertainty about control of the Lakers as the franchise tries to put several losing seasons behind it.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/27/jeanie-buss-agreement-los-angeles-lakers
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

For anyone that thinks Jeanie isn't fit to run the organization really doesn't know her history. Where Jimbo routinely quit on things, Jeanie was actually successful. Of course her Dad set her up, but she ran with it. Even was executive of the year when she ran the blades. She also has a business degree from USC. She has always been invested in the Lakers. Jim on the other hand gets bored and moves on. I trust Jeannie, never trusted Jim. As for Mitch? I think it was just time. He was always too methodical for his own good. Whomever brought in Carmelo & Aldridge really didn't have a vision in mind. Both would have been horrendous signings and neither wanted to come here anyways.

Have we forgotten Rudy T? Mike Brown? The Phil is coming back, not he isn't fiasco? The bartender turned talent scout? Kobe having to nearly force a trade to get some sense of talent as they were wasting Kobe's prime with Smush, Kwame & Luke as starters alongside Kobe & Lamar?

What did they do right? Draft. Yes not all perfect, but has any team found more late round and second round talent? Bynum was the right guy after all. Dlo will have a better career than Okafor. Ingram will need time but he is legit. Randle was a good pick for the draft and position. Seems this is pointed to the young Buss & West kids and they are still here.

Now about Magic? Yes he sucked as a coach. But as a business man he has been pure gold. He knows how to run an organization, which is surround yourself with talent. More importantly there is direction again in the FO and no FO bickering. Jeanie has cleaned house.

Will it work? Time will tell, but in Jeanie I trust.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
999 wrote:

Ok thanks for responding. I'm not into our current medical system at all so I feel you on that, but count me among those who find his ownership in the Lakers pretty much inconsequential.

SuperboyReformed wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

Oh really? Interesting. Well I like VLF. He/she is an interesting poster.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
... The bartender turned talent scout? ...

So that is actually true? I'm shocked. I'm actually glad he is gone then. I always use to laugh at that story when my friends brought that up. Can't believe that's true.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Basketball decisions will be made by basketball minds. I wish Mitch were still here.

This is going to bear close watching to see how the dynamics change. According to Mitch and Jim, and with no substantive evidence from anyone to the contrary, Jim had veto power but never used it, and that meant that Mitch ultimately made the calls either on his own or with Jim's agreement. How much of a collaborative team they were is unknown.

This is going to matter at the draft, since it was mitch and Mitch alone who sifted through the staff analysis and made the picks. There was possibly a lot of consensus on picks, but you gotta think the farther down the draft, the more divergence, and so they are going to have to replace mitch's mastery there. Neither Magic nor Pelinka strikes me as that guy, yet one or both are going to ultimately have to decide, no matter how collaborative they make the process.

Spoken perfectly...

While I have/had no qualms with hiring Magic/Pelinka and chartering a new direction (which was clearly needed from top-down), I did have issue with completely ousting Mitch. He proved to be excellent at drafting and navigating the trade market (although he was gun shy at times). I have no doubts Pelinka can do equally well in cap management, trade opportunities, and will far excel Mitch in free agency and re-establishing the brand, but Mitch knows baketball and if nothing else, I'd want him making this years pick (should we get it).

I think that another thing that made firing Mitch possible for Jeannie was the Ryan West turned out to be a great judge of talent. He was the one bringing the attention of all these draft picks to Mitch. We are doing our best to keep him and hopefully he stays with us for years to come.

I figure West is probably gone as soon as someone offers him a GM position. He was apparently in line for a job or 2 , that he turned down, because he thought he would be Mitch's heir apparent. Now he's got to wait behind a guy with zero experience building and NBA roster in the hope he gets the Lakers job. Nope he's gone the first time someone offers him a decent position. IMO
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
P.K. wrote:
danzag wrote:
So he still owns 11% of the Lakers but doesn't have any control over it?

None of the Buss kids actually own even 1% of the Lakers.

The Trust, which is a seperate legal entity, owns 66% of the Lakers.
Income from Lakers Inc operations is paid into the Trust.
The Trust then distributes that to each of the kids on a 1/6th basis.

in other words, Jim (and Jeanie, Johnny, Joey, etc) owns exactly 0% of the Lakers. They get 11% of the profits each after it's been distributed to the Trust.

So Jimbo still gets a cut of the profits right? Just no control or voting rights anymore?

So, we don't really know what's going on behind the scenes - but, based on what we've seen so far about this recent change & previous info about the Trust

Jimbo, Johnny, and Jeanie were previously the 3 managing Trustee's for the Trust.
Janie, Joey, Jesse were non-managing Trustee's.

Janie now replaces Jimbo as a managing Trustee, and Jimbo becomes a non-managing trustee

As far as we know each of the kids still get's the same share of the profits. Jimbo just isn't one of the 3 managing Trustees of the Trust, nor does he have any position with Lakers Inc.

we don't really know if something like a buyout is in the works - so this could change in an instant
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

As usual, superboy is completely wrong
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
pmacla wrote:

This is going to bear close watching to see how the dynamics change. According to Mitch and Jim, and with no substantive evidence from anyone to the contrary, Jim had veto power but never used it, and that meant that Mitch ultimately made the calls either on his own or with Jim's agreement. How much of a collaborative team they were is unknown.

This is going to matter at the draft, since it was mitch and Mitch alone who sifted through the staff analysis and made the picks. There was possibly a lot of consensus on picks, but you gotta think the farther down the draft, the more divergence, and so they are going to have to replace mitch's mastery there. Neither Magic nor Pelinka strikes me as that guy, yet one or both are going to ultimately have to decide, no matter how collaborative they make the process.

Spoken perfectly...

While I have/had no qualms with hiring Magic/Pelinka and chartering a new direction (which was clearly needed from top-down), I did have issue with completely ousting Mitch. He proved to be excellent at drafting and navigating the trade market (although he was gun shy at times). I have no doubts Pelinka can do equally well in cap management, trade opportunities, and will far excel Mitch in free agency and re-establishing the brand, but Mitch knows baketball and if nothing else, I'd want him making this years pick (should we get it).

I think that another thing that made firing Mitch possible for Jeannie was the Ryan West turned out to be a great judge of talent. He was the one bringing the attention of all these draft picks to Mitch. We are doing our best to keep him and hopefully he stays with us for years to come.

It is possible that's true, but the idea of it is mostly an artifact of fans creating it based on his surname, along with a prospect or two being linked to him and Jesse (who is conveniently dropped)
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

my bad

Last edited by Chase.button07 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
The farther Jimbo gets away from the Lakers..

The happier I am...!

agreed, we are in unchartered waters with the new FO, but as far as Jim buss is concerned, his record speaks for itself
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

picking on somebody cause they like to post about the lakers & you have the power to ban them? is v classy

Thanks for the superboy compliment tough

Huh? I merely said that vlf isn't a she, and that superboy is wrong (because as usual, his beliefs are based in nothing.

Btw, if you get banned and then stalk the mod who did it lIke a 4chan nimrod, you might not want to poke the mod who stuck up for you and kept you from getting banned for a long time when he's ignoring that you're back, Jim.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: