Is anyone else getting non-stop calls from solar scammers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Is anyone else getting non-stop calls from solar scammers?

For the past few months, I've been getting several calls a day from spoofed numbers from my area code. It's always the same company asking if my electricity bill is more than $75 a month and trying to set up an appointment. I told them numerous times to take me off their list, but they keep replying that they are a federal program and one of them even told me to shut up.

Eventually, I got fed up and decided to just send them to a fake address every time they call. I sent one to a local Costco and another to a Compton fast food restaurant. I tried sending a third squad to a BDSM sex shop but the lady transferred me to her supervisor, who looked up the address and called me out on what I was doing.

This was on Friday and so far I haven't received any more calls, so maybe it worked. Anyone have better advice on how to get rid of them?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Supposedly you can add the number to the do not call list, but I think companies have ignored it.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject:

They call so often that I end up not answering calls from numbers I am not familiar with. I will google the number to see if there have been previous reports and that usually leads to me blocking the telemarketing scammer.

Have no faith in the do not call list, most of my friends are on there and they receive far more marketing calls than I do.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Supposedly you can add the number to the do not call list, but I think companies have ignored it.

I'm on it. It doesn't do anything.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
They call so often that I end up not answering calls from numbers I am not familiar with. I will google the number to see if there have been previous reports and that usually leads to me blocking the telemarketing scammer.

Have no faith in the do not call list, most of my friends are on there and they receive far more marketing calls than I do.

Most companies ignored it after a couple of years and also people don't report them so they don't get fined. Good idea but I think the lack of enforcement has doomed it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

I get calls from cruise companies. I don't vacation! Durrr. Haha.

One thing that really bugs me about the solar guys are the onea at Home Depot. They pretend to be helpful, like, "need any help today?" and no matter what you need they half heartedly try to help then ask you about solar.

Their shady tactics are delaying my purchase of solar power.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Read about this just now...
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/fcc-warns-consumers-yes-phone-scam-233916329--abc-news-topstories.html
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
I end up not answering calls from numbers I am not familiar with. I will google the number to see if there have been previous reports and that usually leads to me blocking the telemarketing scammer.

Exactly what I do. The number of times my phone rings from such people has dwindled to almost nothing (I mean from a few time a day to a couple of times a month).

Another thing I do is that we have a landline we use a general number. We pay a basic fee a month to have the number, and that's the number we use whenever we need a number that is just a basic contact number for something that should never be calling us in the first place. That number always go right to voicemail, and thus in the few instances where someone we need to speak to leaves a message we can respond. Meanwhile the spammers get frustrated with another voicemail greeting that will go nowhere.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

The IRS keeps calling me from India. They say if I don't go buy Target gift cards the cops will be here in 20 minutes.....
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

There's an app for that. Though I have not personally used it there's an app called Should I answer which blocks and notifies you of previously identified scam callers. Has great reviews on the Android Play Store.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: