Odom Isn't the Problem.... Need a better point guard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Let me get this straight. Lo's supposed strength is his ability to handle the ball. A true PG would take some of that away. So then we will be putting LO in a position to work w/out the ball. He has proven to have a less than AVG. offensive game YES EVEN in the post. Too slow to take 3's off the dribble, To weak to handle the 4's. We see every game now especially last night that when LO isnt near the ball he is knowhere to be found.
XxBaDGuYxX
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

if lamar had any kind of consisten shot he would be an instant all star... imagine 20 7-5... or 18-10-6... man... i hope he works on his shot this summer...

- Kobe Bryant
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

The bottom line with LO is this. With him as a key component we are a 500 club (so far). his supposed best year in Miami they were a 500 club (a couple games over). Thats what we get with him. Its his career. He hasnt improved over the past few years. this year he has gotten worse and PJ is asking him to do less and less
Mr. Mojo Risin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
The bottom line with LO is this. With him as a key component we are a 500 club (so far). his supposed best year in Miami they were a 500 club (a couple games over). Thats what we get with him. Its his career. He hasnt improved over the past few years. this year he has gotten worse and PJ is asking him to do less and less

We are a sub .500 club without him. Have fun trying to get a better player via a trade with what we got.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
bounty wrote:

We are a sub .500 club without him. Have fun trying to get a better player via a trade with what we got.

everyone keeps saying LO has value. theres our bait
Mr. Mojo Risin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
bounty wrote:

everyone keeps saying LO has value. theres our bait

If you can get a forward that can score and rebound more, consistently, I'm all for it.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I like LO, he's a team player, just not a star. But he's getting paid like a star. Mihm is more important to the team but he gets paid for less. But its not about the money, and its not really about the bench of a team. Its the starting lineup:

Parker (worst starting PG in the league)-F
Kobe (best starting SG in the league, kinda strange right?)-A
Odom (an above average tweener who can create shots and rebound)-B
Kwame (a often uninspired PF, but maybe Phil's chat will clear that up-C
Mihm (an above average legit C)-B

Lets see I havent been in school for some years....thats about a 2.4 grade average....

I think Kwame will play better, I think Phil can reach him, and if he can't we got Odom, Cook or Turiaf-suprisingly deep at that position.

But Parker lost the game with us, F-in CHUCKY, please help me I hate him so much, wasn't going to do anything but drive to the basket and throw a prayer towards the basket, and Smush reached and fouled him

Parker lost us that game. Parker loses alot of games for us. Parker sucks, but he's got a good personality and he's an athlete.

Mckie was a bust, and we are a .500 team bc we don't have a quality...well you can read my signature...below...
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Thank God a topic which agrees with the reality that Lamar Odom is not the problem. We could all agree that the Lakers need Lamar Odom . Imean we all know how great Kobe is but he needs Lamar Odom in order to be sucessful for this season.
flashakadrano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:

lamar may get numbers but he has very little impact. and mostly negative impact when we lose, turnovers, bad defense.

with that said lamar is the second best player on this team, and being the second best player on the team, he should be doing more. he should be more aggressive, make a higher percentage of his layups, drive and dish more, and try to improve his defense.

NO ONE expected us to have a good pg. most people thought that would be the weakest part of this team, and it is.

smush has been a pleasant surprise.

i thought we would have less production out of the point, especially if you told me aaron mckie wouldnt be playing.

odom has trade value and i think ron artest wouldve helped our team much more. i wouldnt mind trading odom for a good 3 or 4 who can be a good 2nd option and play good defense.

i would love to get rashard lewis.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Watching the Clipper game tonight watching Kirk Hinrich control the clock and seeing how smart he is makes me realize how stupid Lamar and Smush are. Any coincidence that Smush, Lamar, and Artest are all from the same area? Something in the water that makes them boys kinda slow?
baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Pg is the biggest problem, we need a pg that cuts down on the penetration because the constant gambling on steals is killing us. Yeah smush may be 2 steals in a game, but he'll gamble for the steal 20 times. That breaks down the defense and gets our bigs into foul trouble. Scoring is not our problem, we can score. When you give over a 100 points something is wrong defensively. When Odom is in the game the second chance points on defense disapear because he gets a ton of boards. His versatility helps us a ton too on defense because he can move to pf when we go small and we don't loose our rebounding ability. People are too obsessed with offense on this board. Yes odom can be more agressive on offense, and could go to the post more, but those changes will not benefit us as greatly as getting a pg that can make stops defensively and help limit the penetration. Most games come down to 2 or 3 defensive stops, I'd much rather have a pg that can force them to take a bad shot then gamble for the steal so they get into the paint.
flashakadrano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject:

i thought everyone was crowning sasha as the great defensive pg for us.

i think the coaching staff really needs to get on smush, as well as the other guards, even kobe, and make them play better man defense without gambling. he has long arms, and hes pretty quick. i really think pj needs to get on smush and kobe to stop allowing guys to drive past them.

i've seen that when kobe and smush feel the competition and really put their minds to shutting down opposing players, they can do it. smush was doing it in the beginning of the year, but i think hes gotten to comfortable and doesnt feel like he needs to exert as much effort on both ends.

kobe, many times, relaxes on defense and allows his man to go by him.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Odom Isn't the Problem.... Need a better point guard

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
He averages nearly a double double and we've seen how bad the team is when he doesn't play. I'd like to see him score a little more consistently, but he's a good player nevertheless. I see a bright future in LA with Kobe, Odom, Bynum and Cook. I like George too. I think our guards suck(except Kobe of course) though. Smush isn't consistent enough scoring and his D sucks. Vujacic totally sucks except for steals. Mihm is pretty good, especially lately, but mainly inconsistent. So, I think we need a better all around point guard. I don't think Kwame is worth keeping. I would try to trade Kwame and Smush and maybe something else for a good all around point guard.

I agree. I personally like Sasha's hustle, and still think that shot will go down...jus dont know how much longer its gonna take. I heard that Tierre Brown is available, tearing up the NBDL. I try not to remember too much of last year, but I thought he was a pretty good defender. Quick and good agains the pick and roll, something Smush doesn't do well. Tierre just can't make a layup. I think its more realistic for the Lakers to try to get a Tierre type player than a new starting pointguard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject:

Smush has the tools - but not the effort
Sasha has the effort - but not the tools

We still don't have a doberman PG defender.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject:

flashakadrano wrote:
i thought everyone was crowning sasha as the great defensive pg for us.

i think the coaching staff really needs to get on smush, as well as the other guards, even kobe, and make them play better man defense without gambling. he has long arms, and hes pretty quick. i really think pj needs to get on smush and kobe to stop allowing guys to drive past them.

i've seen that when kobe and smush feel the competition and really put their minds to shutting down opposing players, they can do it. smush was doing it in the beginning of the year, but i think hes gotten to comfortable and doesnt feel like he needs to exert as much effort on both ends.

kobe, many times, relaxes on defense and allows his man to go by him.

I agree with everything you said. Especially with Smush, I think the ticky tack calls he's been receiving has affected his aggressiveness on defense. I noticed this with Chris Mihm too. Last year we saw Mihm go after a lot of blocked shots. Not so much this year. I think Phil is telling them to play aggressive but don't foul... which they translate to mean let your man by you if they beat you...
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject:

Charles wrote:

so true
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
G1 Hydrogenic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject:

finally someone sees the truth
flashakadrano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject:

Charles wrote:

i agree with that.

but with that being said, is pg the biggest need?
or is a second scorer the biggest need?
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject:

flashakadrano wrote:
Charles wrote:

i agree with that.

Scoring on the team isn't a problem.
Stopping the opposing team from scoring is the major concern here.
G1 Hydrogenic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
flashakadrano wrote:
Charles wrote:

i agree with that.

There will be nights (as we have seen) where Kobe can't go off like he does. Then we have to depend on the defense to make up for that...and we can't depend on it in the state that it is in.
G1 Hydrogenic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject:

Charles wrote:

IMO, there really are no "tools" to being a good defender...all you can do is give consistent effort and the defense will show.
G1 Hydrogenic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject:

Quite frankly, even during our title years, it was our defense that carried us.

Hell, you can point to a team like the 01 Sixers, who with their talent on the roster had NO business being in the Finals, yet they still got there because of defensive intensity.

It doesn't take skill to play D like it does to make a shot, so I can't understand why there are so many problems with defensive consistency.
flashakadrano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
flashakadrano wrote:
Charles wrote:

i agree with that.

and i think it, stopping the opposing team, can be done with the players we have.

kobe cant get 40 every game. he's gonna need some help putting the ball in the bucket. b cook wont be getting 20 a game either.

imo we need a second scorer more than we need a defender. i just believe we have the players who can do the job defensively. but thats just my belief.
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject:

Charles wrote:

I'd pick effort over tools any single day

Smush attitude is so annoying, he's the Lakers i would prefer to see gone in a trade package ASAP
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: