Jeanie Buss: Lakers Not Having An All-Star Next Year Would ‘Break My Heart'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Sign Blake Griffin & Jrue Holliday.

Trade Randle & Clarkson.

Holliday
DLO
Nance
Blake
Zubac
Lottery #1
Houston #1

We don't have the space to sign both Blake & Holiday.

I also think a lot of people are underestimating how far away Zubac is. Luke even said today that he isn't ready to be a starter in the NBA, although the summer can change things.

Trading Clarkson and Randle frees up $16 million. Lakers would have about $48 million for FAs.

The cap holds for the two first round picks need to be deducted from your projected $48 million. Even with Holiday signing a discount contract, it is impossible to make everything fit within a $102 million salary cap.

I have an early alarm and only have time for an abbreviated version of the pro forma. At least $6 million (probably higher) for the cap holds on the first round picks. Out of time and have to go with this.

$30,000,000......Blake Griffin
$15,000,000......Jrue Holiday

$17,190,000......Luol Deng
$15,280,000......Timofey Mozgov

$7,600,000.......Corey Brewer
$5,562,360.......D'Angelo Russell
$5,519,400.......Brandon Ingram

$1,259,640.......Larry Nance Jr.
$1,081,529....... Ivica Zubac
$1,312,611....... David Nwaba

$0.....................2017 Lottery Pick
$0.....................2017 Pick #27/#28

Hmm. I think what they need to is package the crap players with the prospects

Maybe Memphis is willing to bite after this season

Trade moz and randle with Houston pick to Memphis for Marc gasol

Sign Blake Griffin and draft fultz

Griffin
Gasol
Ingram
Dlo
clarkson

Bench. Fultz or ball
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
nash wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
This thread has gone full New York Knicks since I last checked it.
Qft. From the usual suspects.

I became a Lakers fan the year we had a rookie PG called Magic that took over the last game of the finals playing the C spot in place of Kareem the starting center and arguably the GOAT. Winning 20 is the Clippers way, I'm never going to enjoy a 20 win season. Tanking is tolerable just when you find the next Magic, Kobe, Duncan or Bron, it makes no sense to keep collecting young talent forever, if you want to win in this league you need superstars and one is not enough. If you believe Russell is going to be a franchise player so keep him and move someone else, but if you have the chance at an all star you should go for it.

You use the terms franchise player and all-star interchangeably here, and they are not the same thing. The distinction between the two means everything in this conversation. A couple of all-star (reserve) caliber players on max deals w/next to nothing around them virtually guarantees that we won't win a championship in the next 8-10 years.

You are perfectly right about that. Let's make it clearer.

I'd trade Russell or Ingram for an all star like PG13, but I'd never trade both for him, the same goes with Butler another all star that I don't think is a franchise player. I would not trade Ingram or Russell for those guys if I believed they have a strong chance to turn themselves into franchise players, but at this point it would be crazy talk, we can project Russell as a possible (not probable) all star while we can't tell the same about Ingram with his numbers even if I like him as a prospect so that means trading potential all stars for all stars.

Let's talk about franchise players. I'd call Westbrook a franchise player, if you let Dlo lead OKC roster I don't know if they win 30 games, but he is 28 and his franchise status is too dependent of his freak athleticism, so I'd apply the formula above, it is Ingram or Dlo for him not both. Of course we would have to send more prospects than trading for an all star, but not 2 second tier prospects like Dlo and Ingram (1st tier prospect is Towns).

I know Anthony Davis can't lead his team to playoffs by himself because like most bigs he is dependent of others to initiate the offense and provide good shooting, but he is what I call a young franchise player. I'd move both Dlo and Ingram for him in a heartbeat.

The concept for me is trading a 2nd tier prospect for an all star, two for two all stars getting hid of a veteran in the process. With money available and an all star in place we are also players in free agency.

Don't get me wrong, most of us are really high on at least one prospect we have, but stand path developing all of them may be the recipe for lots of 20 to 40 win seasons. There is no clear sign that we have a franchise player in the making.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
Simple.

Dlo, Julius, JC, Deng for Butler (and mirotic but not a deal breaker)
Ingram, top 3, Moz for PG-13
Sign Blake
With Moz and Deng and JC gone might have room for jrue

But at this point I would take any one of those scenarios. All 4 super pipe but possible

You traded the whole thing and you still won't sniff the finals.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject:

Paul George can't lead the Pacers to be a winning franchise, nor can they buil around him, which is why they are trying to trade him, so why would he lead the Lakers to being one?

maybe he's just not the guy you hand the reigns of a franchise to and is at best a 2nd option on a championship roster. So when's the number 1 option gonna be on this team?

To me, you ONLY sell the barn for George if you've already landed a #1 option on a championship team and need a 2nd.

But you don't sell the barn for George to be your #1 option, that would just be stupid of this team imo. And you sure as [expletive] don't do it JUST so you can finally say "hey! We got a name finally!!!"

That would be such a New York Knicks stupid level thing to do, that I'm sure Jeanie is pushing it.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Paul George can't lead the Pacers to be a winning franchise, nor can they buil around him, which is why they are trying to trade him, so why would he lead the Lakers to being one?

maybe he's just not the guy you hand the reigns of a franchise to and is at best a 2nd option on a championship roster. So when's the number 1 option gonna be on this team?

To me, you ONLY sell the barn for George if you've already landed a #1 option on a championship team and need a 2nd.

But you don't sell the barn for George to be your #1 option, that would just be stupid of this team imo. And you sure as [expletive] don't do it JUST so you can finally say "hey! We got a name finally!!!"

That would be such a New York Knicks stupid level thing to do, that I'm sure Jeanie is pushing it.

Jeanie sounds ready to make a mistake.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject:

All-stars don't become available in trades very often. Looking at it objectively, the last few young teams to trade assets during a rebuild for an established all-star have been

Knicks trade for Carmelo
Clippers trade for CP3
Heat trade for Shaq

I don't think any of those rebuilding teams would have regretted those trades. Miami got a title, their young guys got to develop to their full potential (Wade, Blake, DeAndre), and even the Knicks who traded the entire farm for Carmelo at least got a few fun 50 win seasons out of it.

Now PG isn't the same caliber of all-star as the 3 guys above. But you have to consider PG and our core is also far younger, so the window for us to develop is a lot longer. Imagine in 3 years time when MozDeng finally go off the books and we have a 30 yo PG, 23 yo Ingram and 23 yo Fultz all beasting with 50m in cap room to throw around. Instant title contender if all goes right.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Simple.

Dlo, Julius, JC, Deng for Butler (and mirotic but not a deal breaker)
Ingram, top 3, Moz for PG-13
Sign Blake
With Moz and Deng and JC gone might have room for jrue

But at this point I would take any one of those scenarios. All 4 super pipe but possible

You traded the whole thing and you still won't sniff the finals.

We are a laughing stock franchise today and these moves, as improbable as they may seem will make us a legit contender with our only hole at center.

Jrue
Butler
X
Blake
PG

We'd go WCF or 2nd round next year which would be a miracle from where we are today. Then next year have about 20m free to sign role players.

Much rather be proactive and make a dollar outta fifteen cents (a dime and a nickel) then stay where we are which is pay a dollar and get fifteen cents outta it
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
nash wrote:

Dlo, Julius, Deng and Houston pick for Butler
Ingram, JC, Moz and a 2nd round pick for PG-13
Sign Blake
draft Fultz

Play Fultz, Butler, Pg13, Blake, Zubac

be happy

no broken hearts next all star game

not bad, not bad at all. However, if we get the first pick, I'd much rather keep the youth. A Fultz/Russell/Ingram/Zubac core will likely be enough to lure George in FA next offseason.

The roster you posted is strong, no doubt. But they wouldn't be true contenders imo. By the time Fultz is a legitimate star, Griffin will be washed up, And Butler will probably be on the decline as well. Butler will 28 next year, and Griffin will be 29. I don't think Fultz matches their timeline.

That's why u keep DLO and trade the pick instead. Also 1 of PG/butler is enough. That way we keep most of the young core intact
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Bottom feeder team for the last 4 year doesnt want a list 2nd option on championship team

Also people are Saying 1of DLO/Ingram/top 3(mostly 3) so what's the farm you are talking about?

Also hating on Jeanie for your assumption is just
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
dao wrote:
nash wrote:

Sign Blake
draft Fultz

be happy

not bad, not bad at all. However, if we get the first pick, I'd much rather keep the youth. A Fultz/Russell/Ingram/Zubac core will likely be enough to lure George in FA next offseason.

The roster you posted is strong, no doubt. But they wouldn't be true contenders imo. By the time Fultz is a legitimate star, Griffin will be washed up, And Butler will probably be on the decline as well. Butler will 28 next year, and Griffin will be 29. I don't think Fultz matches their timeline.

That's why u keep DLO and trade the pick instead. Also 1 of PG/butler is enough. That way we keep most of the young core intact

I agree about the timeline, but I believe Fultz has a chance to be an incredible player. People may think I dislike Dlo, but I really like the way he can change gears and directions using his body to get sepparation from defenders finding ways to get enough space to shoot without a great deal of athleticism. I like his skillset a lot. Fultz has it all and despite playing a paced game like Dlo he is way more active and is not afraid to operate in the heart of defense. I look at Fultz as a better version of Dlo, a skilled player without the lackadaisical baggage and a tad more athleticism. I love watching Ball just like a love Nance when he is active, but I think there is a risk Ball can become just a role player at NBA level.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Trade Randle & Clarkson.

Holliday
DLO
Nance
Blake
Zubac
Lottery #1
Houston #1

I also think a lot of people are underestimating how far away Zubac is. Luke even said today that he isn't ready to be a starter in the NBA, although the summer can change things.

Trading Clarkson and Randle frees up $16 million. Lakers would have about $48 million for FAs.

We're just trading Randle and Clarkson for cap space?
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

Tad more athletism?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

I only hope that Jeanie and Magic are not as impatient as some of the posters adding some of these trade scenarios. My biggest fear is they won't be! Jeanie has shown some questionable judgement in her wish to land a marketable player. Whether it be the infamous "Stay" banner or this latest undermining of potential negotiations. I am not overly confident they can help themselves.

Although I think it is likely the Lakers are involved in at least one "blockbuster" move this summer. I continue to hope they don't. I understand the reasoning if they do, just not confident they can negotiate without it being too one sided. Hope they prove me wrong.

Most of the win now scenarios are questionable IMO. First that they are even realistic trades. Secondly on any expectation they will significantly improve the Lakers overall.

I acknowledge I am too invested in seeing the young guys develop. Of adding a couple draft picks and maybe a mid level vet to the roster. Of seeing how Walton improves as a HC, how the players improve with another off-season of training. And most importantly how well they are able to develop some team chemistry as players.

Every so often we see a glimmer of what "might " be. I'm willing to have another bad season to see what happens. Just doubt the Lakers FO share my patience. I know quite a few contributors here do not.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I only hope that Jeanie and Magic are not as impatient as some of the posters adding some of these trade scenarios. My biggest fear is they won't be! Jeanie has shown some questionable judgement in her wish to land a marketable player. Whether it be the infamous "Stay" banner or this latest undermining of potential negotiations. I am not overly confident they can help themselves.

Although I think it is likely the Lakers are involved in at least one "blockbuster" move this summer. I continue to hope they don't. I understand the reasoning if they do, just not confident they can negotiate without it being too one sided. Hope they prove me wrong.

Most of the win now scenarios are questionable IMO. First that they are even realistic trades. Secondly on any expectation they will significantly improve the Lakers overall.

I acknowledge I am too invested in seeing the young guys develop. Of adding a couple draft picks and maybe a mid level vet to the roster. Of seeing how Walton improves as a HC, how the players improve with another off-season of training. And most importantly how well they are able to develop some team chemistry as players.

Every so often we see a glimmer of what "might " be. I'm willing to have another bad season to see what happens. Just doubt the Lakers FO share my patience. I know quite a few contributors here do not.

what have they done yet to show they are impatient?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
All-stars don't become available in trades very often. Looking at it objectively, the last few young teams to trade assets during a rebuild for an established all-star have been

Knicks trade for Carmelo
Clippers trade for CP3
Heat trade for Shaq

I don't think any of those rebuilding teams would have regretted those trades. Miami got a title, their young guys got to develop to their full potential (Wade, Blake, DeAndre), and even the Knicks who traded the entire farm for Carmelo at least got a few fun 50 win seasons out of it.

Now PG isn't the same caliber of all-star as the 3 guys above. But you have to consider PG and our core is also far younger, so the window for us to develop is a lot longer. Imagine in 3 years time when MozDeng finally go off the books and we have a 30 yo PG, 23 yo Ingram and 23 yo Fultz all beasting with 50m in cap room to throw around. Instant title contender if all goes right.

I'd rather have 24 year old Russell than a 30 year old PG
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

what have they done yet to show they are impatient?

Obviously you and I have different opinions of Jeanie's comments.

But other then that I agree I may be overreacting on my own opinions of what I think the FO "might " do in attempting to make a flashy move to make the Lakers relevant again with an All-Star player.

IMO more of a business move then a basketball move. I know many disagree. I hope that Magic and Pelinka can be shrewd in negotiations. Perhaps they will. Just my opinion that they are setting a tone that will make it very hard to walk away from the negotiation table w/o their desired player. That gives the advantage to the other GM and costs the Lakers assets. Even if considered marginal or insignificant by some.

Look at some of the suggested trade scenarios being presented over these forums. What is considered "acceptable". As I stated, I hope the Lakers management can resist the temptation of going too far to avoid being "heartbroken if a Laker All-star is not at Staples for the ASG".

Just for a moment consider the hype and fan reactions if Magic and Pelinka go into trade talks for George, Butler. or other fan favorite. What do you think the pressure will be to get a deal done?

Then consider a report a couple days later how no trade is coming because the price is too high. What do you think the reaction will be from Laker fans and media talk shows when they have to "settle" for going forward with the youth development plan. A PR nightmare for a very media savvy Magic.

Going to be interesting how this plays out this summer.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
dao wrote:
nash wrote:

Sign Blake
draft Fultz

be happy

I agree about the timeline, but I believe Fultz has a chance to be an incredible player. People may think I dislike Dlo, but I really like the way he can change gears and directions using his body to get sepparation from defenders finding ways to get enough space to shoot without a great deal of athleticism. I like his skillset a lot. Fultz has it all and despite playing a paced game like Dlo he is way more active and is not afraid to operate in the heart of defense. I look at Fultz as a better version of Dlo, a skilled player without the lackadaisical baggage and a tad more athleticism. I love watching Ball just like a love Nance when he is active, but I think there is a risk Ball can become just a role player at NBA level.

There is always a risk that fultz and Ball may not be the stars some think they will be. PGs in the past 4-5 drafts have all struggled.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
dao wrote:
nash wrote:

Sign Blake
draft Fultz

be happy

There is always a risk that fultz and Ball may not be the stars some think they will be. PGs in the past 4-5 drafts have all struggled.

Or that either require a similar amount of patience that our past 3 picks have necessitated, a patience that is strained at best with this fanbase.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
nash wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
This thread has gone full New York Knicks since I last checked it.
Qft. From the usual suspects.

I became a Lakers fan the year we had a rookie PG called Magic that took over the last game of the finals playing the C spot in place of Kareem the starting center and arguably the GOAT. Winning 20 is the Clippers way, I'm never going to enjoy a 20 win season. Tanking is tolerable just when you find the next Magic, Kobe, Duncan or Bron, it makes no sense to keep collecting young talent forever, if you want to win in this league you need superstars and one is not enough. If you believe Russell is going to be a franchise player so keep him and move someone else, but if you have the chance at an all star you should go for it.

This!! If we knew these guys would be good we would be patient.. But we have no idea if they are...

So reacting from a position of ignorance is the solution? You shop everyone on the team and every future pick, then decide which path would yield the most success. You don't overreact because you have missed the playoffs the past 4 seasons or because spoiled fans get impatient.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
dao wrote:
nash wrote:

Sign Blake
draft Fultz

be happy

I think I would trade Fultz for Butler if the Bulls took Deng or Mozgov. Then sign George in 2018. 2018 roster:

Russell
Butler
Ingram
George
Zubac

To sign George, you lie to him and say he will start at SF, with Ingram either coming off the bench or playing PF. Then after you sign him, move him to PF for a year or two until Ingram gains enough weight to play the 4.

Butler isn't worth the first pick. But Getting rid of a terrible contract would be nice. Acquiring Butler might give us a legit shot at signing Hayward this summer. Then sign George in 2018.

Also trade Ingram and Zubac for Anthony Davis in 2018.

Russell
Butler
Hayward
George
Davis

that's some good pipe

Last edited by dao on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

I will pretty much guarantee that this Lakers Team will have an All Star on the roster next season. I can't see how we can't.
Jim & Mitch are now out of the picture and anyone who wants to be a part of an historic franchise would want to come to the Lakers.

There are some big name free agents and the lure of big endorsements in Hollywood could be enough to give up some of their Max dollars. Hollywood has to sell the Free Agents to the Lakers, if not we won't have a chance. The new management is unproven and so is our young core!

Someone will want to come here to this franchise and you can bank on it!
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
I will pretty much guarantee that this Lakers Team will have an All Star on the roster next season. I can't see how we can't.
Jim & Mitch are now out of the picture and anyone who wants to be a part of an historic franchise would want to come to the Lakers.

There are some big name free agents and the lure of big endorsements in Hollywood could be enough to give up some of their Max dollars. Hollywood has to sell the Free Agents to the Lakers, if not we won't have a chance. The new management is unproven and so is our young core!

any names???
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

The Hollywood/endorsements angle is what we've been trying to sell to Free Agents for years now. Our pitch better be a lot better than that. It's antiquated thinking. Guys can be mega-stars anywhere these days.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Trade Randle & Clarkson.

Holliday
DLO
Nance
Blake
Zubac
Lottery #1
Houston #1

The cap holds for the two first round picks need to be deducted from your projected $48 million. Even with Holiday signing a discount contract, it is impossible to make everything fit within a $102 million salary cap.

I have an early alarm and only have time for an abbreviated version of the pro forma. At least $6 million (probably higher) for the cap holds on the first round picks. Out of time and have to go with this.

$30,000,000......Blake Griffin
$15,000,000......Jrue Holiday

$17,190,000......Luol Deng
$15,280,000......Timofey Mozgov

$7,600,000.......Corey Brewer
$5,562,360.......D'Angelo Russell
$5,519,400.......Brandon Ingram

$1,259,640.......Larry Nance Jr.
$1,081,529....... Ivica Zubac
$1,312,611....... David Nwaba

$0.....................2017 Lottery Pick
$0.....................2017 Pick #27/#28

Here's my thinking: I don't pay BG 30 million. He misses too much time. If he wants more than 25 mil, I reboot and target Ibaka. If he won't come for 18 mil, I reboot again, put Nance at the 4 and bring in Tyreke on heavy incentivized deal.

pjdiddy wrote:
We're just trading Randle and Clarkson for cap space?

Ideally, you tape Moz and Deng to their backs. If that doesn't work, deal them for picks.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

It would break my heart more if Boston wins another before we do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19
Jump to: