Jeanie Buss: Lakers Not Having An All-Star Next Year Would ‘Break My Heart'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss: Lakers Not Having An All-Star Next Year Would ‘Break My Heart

Godbe wrote:
We have idiots running the Lakers.

you know a lot of people blamed the Lakers' woes on Jim Buss, and he definitely deserved some blame as he is a moron, but Jeannie doesn't inspire much confidence either. Jeannie has had the security blanket of Jim to cover up for her incompetence, but that blanket is gone now and the buck is going to stop with her. Her public appearances do very little to instill any sort of confidence IMO, she is stuck in the showtime era and needs to come to face the reality that the SHowtime era is gone and that the way you build a team now is much different than before. We need to be patient with this rebuilding process and not blow our wad getting antsy for superficial and cosmetic gains.
We have a foundation in place and we need to ride the process out and rebuild this thing organically from within. Hopefully we get a pick this year and Ingram, Russell, and that pick should be our foundation, guys like Randle and Clarkson are definitely movable but I don't know about others unless it is a smart and sensible move.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
She really doesn't have much of a poker face does she?

Yep. The cat is out of the bag: the Lakers would like an All Star player.

Of course they would. Establishing it as a top down priority does tend to hurt your transactional leverage, just like saying you're going to trade a player today does.

How many teams around the league do you think were unaware until today that getting an All Star is a priority for us? It would be one thing if she said all our players are available but that isn't what she said. Unless there's a franchise out there living in a cave, I'm pretty sure verbalizing our intentions to improve the roster did not blow any transactional leverage, not to mention they could have an all star next year without making a transaction at all.

Again, everyone knows the team wants to improve, but if there's a deal facto deadline on acquiring one, yes, that hurts your leverage. Even teams thinking that Jeanie and magic feel pressure to make a big immediate splash is a difficulty that has to be surmounted, and going out and basically confirming it tells every gm out there to hold out for more, because the new team is desperate.

She didn't say there was a deadline though. She was talking about other talent droughts in the franchise history and mentioned that hosting the All Star game without an All Star would break her heart. I dont blame her. That's a little embarrassing. She didn't say she was determined to have one by then or having one by then is an imperative.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

We're going to learn a lot about Pelinka this summer.

Hoping that the Lakers can somehow pull off a miracle signing so they don't set themselves up for a desperation trade.

I'm okay with a trade for the right price though.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
55 wrote:
Can't we sign an All Star FA this summer? So much nitpicking over every word.

Here's a thought, learn from your dad and stop running your mouth, and no one will parse the words you don't say.

Yes, she wears her Laker heart on her sleeve, but there are vultures waiting to attack without thinking it all the way through.

It's quite simple. Can we sign an All Star caliber player this summer or not?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
55 wrote:
Can't we sign an All Star FA this summer? So much nitpicking over every word.

Here's a thought, learn from your dad and stop running your mouth, and no one will parse the words you don't say.

Yes, she wears her Laker heart on her sleeve, but there are vultures waiting to attack without thinking it all the way through.

Hey, the way she transparently sought and acquired power, she's not getting any mercy on the vulture front.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

[expletive] off Jeanie.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

keep that emotional (bleep) out of business decisions, please.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Every NBA owner with a borderline All-Star to trade just got super excited to make a deal with the Lakers

Welcome to the LA Lakers, Carmelo Anthony

I'd laugh, but I don't wanna jinx it.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

I hope I'm wrong but Lakers are going to make some bad moves this summer if they decide to trade their core. I don't think they can get anyone that would make us contenders.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
We're going to learn a lot about Pelinka this summer.

Hoping that the Lakers can somehow pull off a miracle signing so they don't set themselves up for a desperation trade.

I'm okay with a trade for the right price though.
I feel like people are either going to love him or hate him for some reason.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to give Jeanie the benefit of the doubt, and hope that what she means is that it would break her heart if one of our young guys don't have a break out year, next season, to garner all star honors.....

If, on the other hand, this is her hoping aloud for some sort of reckless star FA acquisition, at the cost of a young budding nucleus, then.....damn. Just.....damn.

ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Of course they would. Establishing it as a top down priority does tend to hurt your transactional leverage, just like saying you're going to trade a player today does.

How many teams around the league do you think were unaware until today that getting an All Star is a priority for us? It would be one thing if she said all our players are available but that isn't what she said. Unless there's a franchise out there living in a cave, I'm pretty sure verbalizing our intentions to improve the roster did not blow any transactional leverage, not to mention they could have an all star next year without making a transaction at all.

Again, everyone knows the team wants to improve, but if there's a deal facto deadline on acquiring one, yes, that hurts your leverage. Even teams thinking that Jeanie and magic feel pressure to make a big immediate splash is a difficulty that has to be surmounted, and going out and basically confirming it tells every gm out there to hold out for more, because the new team is desperate.

She didn't say there was a deadline though. She was talking about other talent droughts in the franchise history and mentioned that hosting the All Star game without an All Star would break her heart. I dont blame her. That's a little embarrassing. She didn't say she was determined to have one by then or having one by then is an imperative.

I appreciate your measured take, but "it would break my heart" is not some detached analysis, especially when you know anything about her. She wants one bad, and is letting everyone know.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss: Lakers Not Having An All-Star Next Year Would ‘Break My Heart'

saetarubia wrote:
Quote:
“Next season, Los Angeles is hosting the NBA All Star Game at Staples Center and I’m concerned that we won’t have an All Star on the team. And that would break my heart.

http://www.lakersnation.com/jeanie-buss-lakers-not-having-an-all-star-next-year-would/2017/03/30/

PG 13 trade could be a priority if we can't land Hayward or Blake.
i hope jeanie is including my boy hayward in her all star comment. sure he finally made it this season. i was proud of him for that. BUttttt. he's not a game changer alone. He's that 3rd fiddle guy with 2 other stars on the team if you're winning rings.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ocho wrote:

My heart will be broken without two All Star players on the roster next year.

But my heart has been broken many times, it is cold....

I don't care what they say about you Lanny, you're alright in my book.
WeDidItReddit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Difference between Jim and Jeannie was that Jim was quietly stupid while Jeannie lets everyone know that she's stupid
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss: Lakers Not Having An All-Star Next Year Would ‘Break My Heart'

splashmtn wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Quote:
“Next season, Los Angeles is hosting the NBA All Star Game at Staples Center and I’m concerned that we won’t have an All Star on the team. And that would break my heart.

http://www.lakersnation.com/jeanie-buss-lakers-not-having-an-all-star-next-year-would/2017/03/30/

PG 13 trade could be a priority if we can't land Hayward or Blake.
i hope jeanie is including my boy hayward in her all star comment. sure he finally made it this season. i was proud of him for that. BUttttt. he's not a game changer alone. He's that 3rd fiddle guy with 2 other stars on the team if you're winning rings.

I seriously doubt that Hayward would come here, if he actually leaves Utah then he will leave to join his old coach Brad Stevens in Boston. Still he has a pretty good situation in Utah so I doubt he leaves, but if he does leave he will likely only leave to go to Boston.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I appreciate your measured take, but "it would break my heart" is not some detached analysis, especially when you know anything about her. She wants one bad, and is letting everyone know.

As you know, I have been an honorary conductor of the "Please Jeanie Stop Giving Interviews" train. I'm still on it. She has said a lot of harmful stuff publicly before, I just don't think this qualifies and I don't want to start becoming hysterical (not accusing you of this) over every innocuous comment. I shrug and file this comment under "no duh.".
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:
Difference between Jim and Jeannie was that Jim was quietly stupid while Jeannie lets everyone know that she's stupid

I think that you are onto something here and this will become more clear to everybody the further we move away from the Jim Buss era.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

And there you have it. That lottery isn't just for a 2017 pick, it's for a 2017, a 2019, Brandon Ingram and D'Angelo Russell. We lose, and they're all gone.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:

I doubt there will be any all-star caliber free agents on the market this year. I think the only scenario where we get one is trading for George or Butler.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Jahlil Okafor can be an all star in LA

^this guy is a smart man
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

As you know, I have been an honorary conductor of the "Please Jeanie Stop Giving Interviews" train. I'm still on it. She has said a lot of harmful stuff publicly before, I just don't think this qualifies and I don't want to start becoming hysterical (not accusing you of this) over every innocuous comment. I shrug and file this comment under "no duh.".

Yeah, that's fair. I do enjoy a little goose and gander, I admit.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

DLO cmon! I think 22/7/4 by all star break would do the trick. CP3 would be out.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Shouldn't have traded Lou then!!
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to speak and to remove all doubt.

-- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19
Jump to: