For those working in Los Angeles: How long is your commute?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long is your commute into (not round trip) Los Angeles?
15 minutes or less
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
16-30 minutes
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
31-45 minutes
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
46-60 minutes
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
61-90 minutes
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
91-120 minutes
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
More than two hours
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: For those working in Los Angeles: How long is your commute?

I'm from Santa Clarita originally. I've asked numerous people why they would want to live in such a place and work in Los Angeles when the traffic reaches up to two hours or more during rush hour-- closer to an hour and fifteen minutes if you leave at a non-peak time.

Their response was that it's basically like this everywhere unless you're rich and, in some cases, even if you are.

So I looked it up. Areas I would consider more desirable like Palos Verdes and Calabasas are nearly as bad. Even Malibu evidently has awful traffic despite being a very expensive area. Thousand Oaks too.

Even Beverly Hills and Bel Air are not immune.

So my question is basically this: Is Santa Clarita in particular an especially horrible place to try to get into Los Angeles from, or is it basically this bad everywhere?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Worse commute I had was Irvine to Century City. Soul crushing 1.5-2+ in traffic. Did it for a year before I broke down.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Worse commute I had was Irvine to Century City. Soul crushing 1.5-2+ in traffic. Did it for a year before I broke down.

I don't understand why people live in Irvine (or any part of Orange County) if they have to commute to Los Angeles... It's just not a reasonable distance.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I don't understand why people live in Irvine (or any part of Orange County) if they have to commute to Los Angeles... It's just not a reasonable distance.

First job out of college and it was in an industry I really wanted to enter. The place I was renting at the time was dirt cheap (knew the owner).
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I have quite a few friends whose parents do that (I grew up in Irvine). Most of them leave/ left early in the morning to avoid traffic. No escaping traffic on the commute home, though. The obvious reason why those parents made the commute is so their children could go to school in IUSD while taking the best possible job to support the family. They're also all Asian, so that sort of sacrifice is kind of a cultural expectation.

I have no idea why anyone would do that except for parents though.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I have quite a few friends whose parents do that (I grew up in Irvine). Most of them leave/ left early in the morning to avoid traffic. No escaping traffic on the commute home, though. The obvious reason why those parents made the commute is so their children could go to school in IUSD while taking the best possible job to support the family. They're also all Asian, so that sort of sacrifice is kind of a cultural expectation.

Do you like Irvine? It's such a creepy, cookie-cutter city to me. Can't really understand why anyone would want to live there.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Do you like Irvine? It's such a creepy, cookie-cutter city to me. Can't really understand why anyone would want to live there.

I think it was a really nice place to grow up. There's something to be said about being able to stay out late with minimal concern for safety. I was 12 and biking to restaurants and boba shops with friends without parent supervision (that'd never fly with my immigrant Indian parents in any other city ). I could walk home at nighttime from football games as a freshman without worrying about my safety -- compare that to some of my (female) friends who actually planned how to get home after a Berkeley football game so that they didn't get mugged (or worse). That's as 21 y/o adults, versus a 14 y/o teen. Just that safety really allows you to grow. I'm still quite close with a host of my high school friends, and I think a lot of that boils down to the fact that we were able to do so many things due to Irvine being a safe place.

Personally, I don't really care that it's cookie cutter. To me, a house is a house. A neighborhood is a neighborhood. The neighborhood I grew up in is about as cookie cutter as it gets, but its construction was awesome to play sports and just do (bleep) with friends (there's a park in the middle of it with big fields that worked as a baseball field, a cricket field, a CTF battleground, a dog park, etc). I don't really care that its design is cookie cutter from an outside perspective, because it facilitated a great childhood.

With that all said, I would absolutely not want to live in Irvine -- not in my 20s for sure. It is so damn sanitized, like a hospital. It's like every little bit of culture is scrubbed out on the basis of not annoying residents. Actually, that's a good way of thinking about it. It's optimized for comfort, not living a rich and varied life. When you're 14 that's fine. When you're 23, it's not fine. I feel bad for everyone who went to UCI (although I went to UCSD and frankly La Jolla is not any better), and I feel bad for people who spend their 20s here.

But when I settle down, have kids, etc., I can see myself coming back to Irvine or a place like it. I suspect I'll prioritize different things at that point in my life.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

If you want to live in the LA metro area, traffic is unavoidable unless you work odd hours. Commuting 1-2 hours one way is not unusual especially during peak rush hour. If people eventually utilize the public transportation system we might be able to get more cars off the road....until then....
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

For my previous job, I spent slightly over two hours a day on the road,

It was putting a ton of miles on my Beemer..

Present job is just under 5 miles each way (no freeway), I make it to work in 10-14 minutes, putting very little miles on my car..

Problem is my $400 battery had to be replaced because I was not driving long enough to recharge my system... sigh...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I think it was a really nice place to grow up. There's something to be said about being able to stay out late with minimal concern for safety. I was 12 and biking to restaurants and boba shops with friends without parent supervision (that'd never fly with my immigrant Indian parents in any other city ). I could walk home at nighttime from football games as a freshman without worrying about my safety -- compare that to some of my (female) friends who actually planned how to get home after a Berkeley football game so that they didn't get mugged (or worse). That's as 21 y/o adults, versus a 14 y/o teen. Just that safety really allows you to grow. I'm still quite close with a host of my high school friends, and I think a lot of that boils down to the fact that we were able to do so many things due to Irvine being a safe place.

Personally, I don't really care that it's cookie cutter. To me, a house is a house. A neighborhood is a neighborhood. The neighborhood I grew up in is about as cookie cutter as it gets, but its construction was awesome to play sports and just do (bleep) with friends (there's a park in the middle of it with big fields that worked as a baseball field, a cricket field, a CTF battleground, a dog park, etc). I don't really care that its design is cookie cutter from an outside perspective, because it facilitated a great childhood.

With that all said, I would absolutely not want to live in Irvine -- not in my 20s for sure. It is so damn sanitized, like a hospital. It's like every little bit of culture is scrubbed out on the basis of not annoying residents. Actually, that's a good way of thinking about it. It's optimized for comfort, not living a rich and varied life. When you're 14 that's fine. When you're 23, it's not fine. I feel bad for everyone who went to UCI (although I went to UCSD and frankly La Jolla is not any better), and I feel bad for people who spend their 20s here.

But when I settle down, have kids, etc., I can see myself coming back to Irvine or a place like it. I suspect I'll prioritize different things at that point in my life.

La Jolla isn't any better? I drove through there one time and it seemed awesome.

What do you think of Newport Beach? (I consider UCI to be right on the border between Irvine and Newport Beach.)

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I used to do Culver City to Irvine and it took 45 minutes 20 years ago. Now my commute from Cheviot Hills to Universal can take almost double that going home on a bad night.

My best commute is when I am working at Fox Studios - 1 traffic light. 3 minutes tops.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

5 minutes
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

Ugh. Arcadia to Marina Del Rey.
1 hour+ in late morning traffic.
At night, it's 1 hour 20 or so.

Last night, during normal rush hour, it was 1:50 to see my daughter's open house at school.

Wish there were more/better software jobs in my area.

Only saving grace is that I have a Leaf and I usually get free electric charging at work. So total energy bills is relatively low.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

Lancaster to West LA. Just over an hour on a good day. Hour and a half on average.

There are no jerbs in the Antelope Valley unless you wanna work at Lockheed or Walmart. Both my brother in law and father in law work at Lockheed. They hate it and they're gonna die at that job. I don't want that. Tons, and I mean TONS of people commute from the AV. Not uncommon to see the same car getting on the 14 only to see them take the same exit I do.

the head of the accounting department here commutes from CHULA VISTA to WEST LA That, makes my drive look like nothing.

Definitely taking it's toll. We're trying to move back down to the SFV.

Last edited by frijolero01 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
5 minutes

screw you.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Lancaster to West LA. Just over an hour on a good day. Hour and a half on average.

There are no jerbs in the Antelope Valley unless you wanna work at Lockheed or Walmart. Both my brother in law and father in law work at Lockheed. They hate it and they're gonna die at that job. I don't want that. Tons, and I mean TONS of people commute from the AV. Not uncommon to see the same car getting on the 14 only to see them take the same exit I do.

the head of the accounting department here commutes from CHULA VISTA to WEST LA That, makes my drive look like nothing.

Definitely taking it's toll. We're trying to move back down to the SFV.

Did you know Stu Lantz has been commuting from his home in San Diego to Laker games....mind you he doesn't do it everyday but he's been doing it for a while I assume.
As far as aerospace jobs go, you really have no choice. They are out in the AV since its near the bases. Unless you are a genius and can somehow get a job at SpaceX and don't mind working 80-100+ hours a week....

Last edited by lakersken80 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I used to do Culver City to Irvine and it took 45 minutes 20 years ago. Now my commute from Cheviot Hills to Universal can take almost double that going home on a bad night.

My best commute is when I am working at Fox Studios - 1 traffic light. 3 minutes tops.

You work at Universal Studios?

Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

This is one of the worst drives you can make.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
tox wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Depends on what stage of life you are at...I can see why families like Irvine, its quiet, crime free and you have space to roam around....sadly like Santa Clarita its a soul sucking suburb where everyones house looks identical to yours. If you like landmarks and historical places neither city is for you.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
tox wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Depends on what stage of life you are at...I can see why families like Irvine, its quiet, crime free and you have space to roam around....sadly like Santa Clarita its a soul sucking suburb where everyones house looks identical to yours. If you like landmarks and historical places neither city is for you.

Oh. So you don't have to literally be insane to live there, it's just a matter of how much you value safety?

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
tox wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Oh. So you don't have to literally be insane to live there, it's just a matter of how much you value safety?

There are some nice historic homes near Santa Ana's civic center. Lots of night time activities too.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

La Jolla isn't any better? I drove through there one time and it seemed awesome.

What do you think of Newport Beach? (I consider UCI to be right on the border between Irvine and Newport Beach.)

Well, as a college town, it's not any better. A large part of my interpretation of La Jolla is colored by UCSD itself, and the campus culture there is TERRIBLE. Compared to Irvine, La Jolla is less corporatized and homogeneous, which is nice, but it's still geared towards families/ more affluent folks. Like I hardly go/ went to Downtown La Jolla (Girard/ Prospect) because it's fairly pricey. We often opted to head to Downtown or Convoy (kind of an Asian center a few miles outside of La Jolla) rather than stay in La Jolla.

I'm a fan of Newport Beach and Costa Mesa both as far as OC cities go... but I haven't spent too much time really exploring either since I haven't spent much time in OC since leaving for college. Costa Mesa always seems to have interesting cultural things going on (cultural festivals, arts, etc.), and Newport has a good bar scene. Both have some decent clubs but that's not really my scene. But beyond that, I haven't really done enough exploration to have a strong sense of what they offer. I can totally imagine someone hating Newport for being a yuppie haven
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

You work at Universal Studios?

You live in Cheviot Hills??
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Yeah, especially for your kids. Education as well. It's not a surprise that there's an Asian plurality now, and I bet an Asian majority is coming. Lots of those immigrants come to Irvine as they couldn't give a rat's ass about culture in the Western sense and love the weather/ location, safety, and schools.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Yeah, especially for your kids. Education as well. It's not a surprise that there's an Asian plurality now, and I bet an Asian majority is coming. Lots of those immigrants come to Irvine as they couldn't give a rat's ass about culture in the Western sense and love the weather/ location, safety, and schools.

So would you say that they know that there's nothing interesting to do there and simply don't mind, or do they actually think things like suburban malls and chain restaurants are interesting? That's my biggest question with these sorts of places.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: