Chris Paul Is The New NBPA President

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 13135

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Chris Paul Is The New NBPA President

Quote:
NBPA ‏@TheNBPA 6m

Congratulations to #thenbpa newest elected President @CP3!!! #nbpa2013


https://twitter.com/TheNBPA/status/370335789063733248
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 19436

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Chris Paul finally to take Derek's job after all.
_________________
A banana is killed every time a terrible thread or post is made. Save the bananas. Stop creating terrible posts!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 52357

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Chris Paul finally to take Derek's job after all.



_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 27880
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Fisher got demoted.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 46601
Location: Coming soon and striking at your borders.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Chris Paul finally to take Derek's job after all.


STERRRNNNNN!!!!
_________________
LAVAR 3:16...

Hypebeasts we know aboutchea'
Don't rep the Lakers unless they popular...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 28733

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Are you sure it isn't going to be Cliff Paul?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lalakersfan88
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Jun 2008
Posts: 1307

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Fisher got demoted.



Fisher's term as President of the Players Union was over earlier this year and Chris Paul was voted on for at least one term of several years.

Fisher was in no way demoted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 4364

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Chris Paul finally to take Derek's job after all.


the first post and I feel like it was good enough to /endthread


_________________
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 9147

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Chris Paul finally to take Derek's job after all.


STERRRNNNNN!!!!


First thing that came to my mind!!!


But I guess Chris Paul seems to be a smart guy and isn't a trouble maker. Not a bad choice.
_________________
ˇHala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
30
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Posts: 4954

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I preferred Roger Mason Jr but I'm also happy with Paul.
_________________
Ingram, Ball, George, and Randle are ready to take the torch, with Luke leading the way!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 28786
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject:

CP3's first rule change: no more flop fines.
_________________
also sprach magic johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 30387

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Chris Paul finally to take Derek's job after all.


STERRRNNNNN!!!!


First thing that came to my mind!!!


But I guess Chris Paul seems to be a smart guy and isn't a trouble maker. Not a bad choice.



I hope Chris Paul can galvanize the union. They were adrift and unprepared for the lockout.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Posts: 4175

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Wilt wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Chris Paul finally to take Derek's job after all.


STERRRNNNNN!!!!


First thing that came to my mind!!!


But I guess Chris Paul seems to be a smart guy and isn't a trouble maker. Not a bad choice.



I hope Chris Paul can galvanize the union. They were adrift and unprepared for the lockout.


I don't know how true this is.. but TMZ posted this
Quote:

Paul edged out veteran shooter Roger Mason and others to take the position -- and NBA sources tell us the players went with CP3 because they feel got the cojones and the clout to effectively take on the league.

Sources tell us ... Paul is taking his new role very seriously -- and is already talking to players about his agenda, which includes:

-- Preparing a battle plan to fight any league proposal for HGH testing
-- Eliminating flopping fines
-- Forbidding any dress code additions/changes

FYI -- NBA Commish David Stern is leaving his post in February ... and will be replaced by Adam Silver. Whether or not the move is good for the players is yet to be seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 30387

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Wilt wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Chris Paul finally to take Derek's job after all.


STERRRNNNNN!!!!


First thing that came to my mind!!!


But I guess Chris Paul seems to be a smart guy and isn't a trouble maker. Not a bad choice.



I hope Chris Paul can galvanize the union. They were adrift and unprepared for the lockout.


I don't know how true this is.. but TMZ posted this
Quote:

Paul edged out veteran shooter Roger Mason and others to take the position -- and NBA sources tell us the players went with CP3 because they feel got the cojones and the clout to effectively take on the league.

Sources tell us ... Paul is taking his new role very seriously -- and is already talking to players about his agenda, which includes:

-- Preparing a battle plan to fight any league proposal for HGH testing
-- Eliminating flopping fines
-- Forbidding any dress code additions/changes

FYI -- NBA Commish David Stern is leaving his post in February ... and will be replaced by Adam Silver. Whether or not the move is good for the players is yet to be seen.





Being a good NBPA President (in my humble opinion) means putting aside your personal agenda for the greater good. What you've bolded speaks to Chris Paul's agenda, but I'm not sure the players themselves would rate flopping fines as important as other pressing issues.

I may be overestimating the players though. Preparing for the next CBA negotiation likely beyond their collective planning horizon. If the NBPA elevates dress code beyond compensation and freedom of movement, then they'll have earned the right to be screwed again by the owners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 19371

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I may be overestimating the players though. Preparing for the next CBA negotiation likely beyond their collective planning horizon. If the NBPA elevates dress code beyond compensation and freedom of movement, then they'll have earned the right to be screwed again by the owners.


Actually, you may be reading too much into this.

The most important thing that Chris Paul and the union need to do is to hire a strong, competent executive director. The players aren't going to be in charge of the CBA negotiations. In fact, I suspect that there are a number of people on this board (even aside from Larry) who understand the CBA far better than any player, including Paul. Furthermore, a fair number of the current players will be gone from the league when the next lockout arrives. When we talk about the economic issues, that is the domain of the executive director.

I would expect the players to be more focused on relatively frivolous stuff, like the dress code and the flopping fines. That's the stuff that pisses them off in the short term. The players aren't going to sit around in a room and talk about revenue splitting.

Having said all of that, I think the union just sent a signal that the owners are going to love. Paul seems to be a well liked guy, but he's part of the old guard and doesn't exactly have a reputation as a firebrand. The names that have been kicked around as executive directors fall into the "more of the same" category, as opposed to "outside the box" or "change of approach." Overall, I would say that the election of Paul is a sign of weakness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 16026

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject:

Well it looks like the NBA is going to have a lot more trouble adding flopping violations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
IPK
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 6182

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Are you sure it isn't going to be Cliff Paul?



_________________
Our song to Phil, the man behind LG: "Miss u"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 4423

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject:

first order of business for Paul:

make it mandatory to have teams interview at least 3 African American head coach candidates before making new hire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 4423

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Well it looks like the NBA is going to have a lot more trouble adding flopping violations.


as oppose to what? the newly added rule did not prevent the notorious floppers from flop last season. it's there so they have an excuse, see, ref didn't call flop so it must be legit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 16026

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Well it looks like the NBA is going to have a lot more trouble adding flopping violations.


as oppose to what? the newly added rule did not prevent the notorious floppers from flop last season. it's there so they have an excuse, see, ref didn't call flop so it must be legit.


More warnings, less fines claiming its taking BRI away from the players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 21591

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/24/chris-paul-re-elected-president-of-the-nbpa/

Quote:
Chris Paul re-elected president of the NBPA

NEW YORK (AP) — Chris Paul has been re-elected president of the National Basketball Players Association.

Paul’s new four-year term begins immediately. He will be assisted by the union’s newly elected vice president, Garrett Temple of the Sacramento Kings.

In his first term as president, Paul most notably helped the players and the NBA come together on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement that goes into effect on July 1.

Paul says he’s “humbled that my fellow players have voted to have me continue.”

Temple has a three-year term as vice president, which also begins immediately. He replaces Kyle Korver in that role.

The other members of the NBA’s Executive Committee are First Vice President LeBron James, Secretary-Treasurer James Jones, and Vice Presidents Carmelo Anthony, Stephen Curry, Andre Iguodala, Pau Gasol and Anthony Tolliver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB