I predict 5 years from now the NBA will...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: I predict 5 years from now the NBA will...

be a big back to the basket type of game again. Spoke to a Cavs scout before the game and he seems to think there are some serious big man prospects of the future.

Also you have Joel Embiid.

A more evolved type of big man back to the basket game, that can still step out and shoot the 3.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

That wouldn’t surprise me at all. Sports are always cyclical. I think what happens is people figure out how to exploit a weakness. Then, over time, they figure out how to plug that gap while ignoring the other facet at which time, that weakness gets exploited.

I feel like we are already seeeing this in football. Became a passing game, but I feel we saw a shift to RBs as cornerbacks and defensive strategies figured out how to limit passing.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

You may be right, but I think the pace will still be pretty fast because teams seemed to have learned that open shots in transition are the most efficient shots you can get. Also it's hard to play post up basketball unless you have a good or dominant offensive big.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

One thing I've heard in life is any predictions that are 5 years out or more are meaningless ...
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

...be cowering in fear from the purple and gold terror that will rise from the ashes and reign supreme over all the league once again
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

I disagree that the back to the basket game will come back as a focal point even as the league continues to add mult-skilled big men. It will be a tool in their arsenal, and some bigs like Embiid and Ayton may go to it more often, but I think the next era will be dominated by bigs with guard skills who can score at all three levels and from both the post and facing up.

Talent dictates trends, so there are undoubtedly some creative future head coaches out there already devising new tweaks to exploit or neutralize the talents of this wave of multi-skilled big men. But unless there are rule changes, I can't foresee any style or system replacing pace and space and the lethality of a high PnR three. That's a boring status quo answer, but I think today's basketball is more aesthetically pleasing and more efficient, and I'd like to see it continue rather than return to half-court offenses run primarily through the post.

Anyway, I'll predict that in five years Lonzo and the Lakers will be killing teams in transition, which will create copycats that won't be able to catch up because Lonzo is such a unique foundational talent.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
...be cowering in fear from the purple and gold terror that will rise from the ashes and reign supreme over all the league once again

When the 230lbs Brandon Ingram go up to catch the alley from LaMelo
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

we will be talking about if Durant is the goat all while the Lakers sweep the Warriors in the conference finals
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

The de-emphasis of rare big men in favor of the hoard of small shooting perimeter players was intentional and the result of rule changes / enforcement changes.

It's not coming back in a big way until the rules and how they are enforced change.

Give post players all of the bumps, hand checking and blocking calls that perimeter guys get and their efficiency will increase dramatically. So will scoring. Just like they did with perimeter players.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Biggest backcourts possible with dual PG setup.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: