Work Horror Stories
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

orange collar workers consider any other job as white collar. Ain't that right Conky baby
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
I wish I had white-collar jobs like you guys have. Guess you guys never work a real job before.

I have a white collar job lined up for you, Conker! Just one question before we can fill out your payroll sheet and get you a parking sticker...

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY OR A FIRST DEGREE MISDEMEANOR?

YES NO
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
I wish I had white-collar jobs like you guys have. Guess you guys never work a real job before.

Two things.

First of all, I'm sure I'm not alone here in saying that many of us in "white collar jobs" spent a lot of time working "real jobs" in our earlier years. I didn't have a McDonald's job in high school. I spent my summers working as a commercial painter. After high school, I spent a couple of years supporting my Ski-Bum phase by being a bus-boy/lift operator at a ski resort. As I worked my way through Jr. College and College, I had plenty of "real jobs" where you deal with some BS and don't really make enough to make it worth it. But I, and many others did it anyway.

Secondly, as someone who has worked in differing "white collar" positions for over half my life now, I can see via the comparison there's a great deal of pressure and BS involved that leaves you more wrung out at the end of the day than swinging a hammer. That's not to be dismissive of other people's work (the way you are). I just understand there is plenty of BS to deal in the "office" world that involves impossible deadlines that have to be met along with unreasonable expectations in getting them done. In my particular industry, there are weeks at a time when you literally do nothing but work, work, work and only go home so you can sleep before you go back to repeat the work, work, work part. I just finished one of those cycles. I didn't have any family (or me) time for a month. As a result, there have certainly been times when I looked back on the "hard-working" 9-5 jobs I had with a great deal of fondness for their simplicity and lack of stress.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
csf80
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

I have worked in the water damage restoration industry for over 10 years now. I started out as a helper, moved up to technician, done sale and marketing, and now I was promoted to assistant operations manager. Believe me, being in the field as a supervisor and being on call was a lot less stressful than being in the office. I love my job but dealing with customers, field workers, management, insurance adjusters, property managers and trying to please everyone (impossible) leaves me mentally drained. My buddy, who is the operations manager, and I are the usually the first ones at the shop and the last ones to leave. It's a salary job so no overtime or double time. I do get bonuses that are bigger than when I was in the field and some other good perks, but it comes at a price. When Cali had those rains in January and Feb, it was my first week in operations. We were so busy I was at the office, and my buddy was out of town, I had to handle everything myself. It was a trial by fire.At that point I had wondered what I got myself into. I pretty much lived at the shop. So, in my opinion, being in the office is more stressful than being out and swing the hammer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: