Hollinger's take on Bynum...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Because really, if Bynum was that great and the Laker franchise had full confidence in him being a franchise player, then why on earth would the Lakers try and trade for Channing Frye? Possible other PF/Cs when the Lakers have Kwame/Mihm as it is?

It tells me that even they know it's going take years before he can even play a consistent 30+ minutes a game, let alone be a franchise player. Even Kupchak admitted he was gambling and wasn't fully confident about how Bynum would turn out.

1. I don't see how you can draw a connection between how good the Lakers think a true center like Bynum will be and the Lakers trying to improve themselves at the PF position. Frye is not a center

2. You are absolutely right. Bynum is a gamble, like almost every other draft pick except a handful like Lebron or Shaq. No one knows if he will be very good or not. He's guaranteed to be a good role player already based on what he has shown so far. Will he take that huge step to be an all star? No one knows.

Last edited by ducasse on Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Making unrealistic expectations on a player off of little proof is foolish.

Making any expectations on a player off of little proof is foolish as well.

Truth is it goes both ways. There have been plenty of players who knew all the basics and still failed once they got in the NBA. Many High School studs have been drafted and not lasted. Then again there are several self made guys in the league as well that had the willpower and focus to turn themselves into legit NBA players.

It is a flip of a coin.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

It will take some patience to determine the truth. Much depends on continued development.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Truth is it goes both ways. There have been plenty of players who knew all the basics and still failed once they got in the NBA. Many High School studs have been drafted and not lasted. Then again there are several self made guys in the league as well that had the willpower and focus to turn themselves into legit NBA players.

It is a flip of a coin.

I disagree that it's just a mere flip of the coin. Every player is different and there are certain redeeming qualities that must be shown in varying levels to ensure a successful career.

The players who had the basics and failed in the NBA were unmotivated.

The HS studs that were drafted and haven't lasted? Once again, lack of work ethic, and the number is actually small compared to the success rate of HS players.

I have absolutely and continually admitted that he'd become a solid, legit NBA player. So where's the disagreement in that?

Quote:

I disagree to some extent. Making extraordinarily high expectations on a player with little proof, is very foolish, yet there are fans on this board who continue to do so.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Bynum is a gamble, like almost every other draft pick except a handful like Lebron or Shaq. No one knows if he will be very good or not. He's guaranteed to be a good role player already based on what he has shown so far. Will he take that huge step to be an all star? No one knows.

It depends on how you define All-Star and franchise player. Most have mentioned franchise player. Olajuwon. Mutombo. Shaquille O'Neal.

All of these guys had good to elite athleticism. Mutombo may be clumsy, but his timing and reaction time were off the chart. How else do you explain 3-4bpg Defensive Player of the Year despite being slow? Bird speed.

Bynum has yet to resemble Olajuwon or Shaq's footwork, quickness, or speed, or the timing of Mutombo.... so.. where's this franchise player that everyone thinks of?

Or do fans think that players like Robert Parish were franchise players?

If he keeps at it, he may be an All-Star by default just because the center position is so weak. There's no way players like Brad Miller or Jamaal Magloire deserved it, yet they made it.

Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Maybe we should back off on HOF-caliber comparisons. Try some of these centers on for size, see what you think:

Zydrunas Ilgauskas - similar height but lighter (7'3", 260) not as unathletic as many believe but certainly no athletic prodigy, good fundamentals, good shooting stroke. His production over the last few seasons has hovered around 16ppg, 8rpg, 2 bpg in about 30 minutes.

Bynum's heavier than him and likely a better athlete, so I think he'd have a more positive impact on D than big Z when he matures. On offense if Drew can really soak up the fundamentals of good footwork,shooting,timing and boxing out he should be able to score as much and maybe even grab more rebounds than Z, by virtue of (in his mature body) having a better base to box out and hold position with. He'll likely shoot from closer to the basket and probably a higher FG% will result. A good comparison, IMO.

Erick Dampier - similar build to Bynum but a bit smaller. Decently athletic, but no Amare,Howard and certainly no Olajuwan (who frankly was even beyond Amare or Howard in terms of a total package athleticly - does anyone comparing AB to him actually remember him mid-90s? Jesus!) As someone pointed out upthread, averaging double digit rebbies in the NBA is freakin' HARD - but Dampier did it for a season - 12ppg,12rpg and 2 bpg to boot. Ah the power of desire (for a fat contract). If Bynum really loves the game (and his raw tools are similar) can the same impact be so farfetched in 3 years or so?

Jamaal Magloire (see comments for Dampier). 13ppg,10 rpg and a block and a quarter got this man to the All-Star game. That's what a top-ten center in this league produces and it's PLENTY to hope for. I think he's in there by the time he can buy a drink (unless he buys as many as Vin Baker).

Mutumbo - not so good a comparison as many seem to think. At the height of his powers (DPOY era -years ago) the man was getting 12-13 ppg, 12 boards and FOUR blocks. Four blocks that were mostly garnered by playing his man face-up, waiting for the shot then simply getting up higher and quicker and blocking the frigging shot. Much harder than the weakside shotblocking of a guy like LaFrentz or Mihm - and much more game changing. Mutumbo was a marvel in his day and while Bynum may well match his stats through learning fundamentals and sheer effort he simply has never shown he has the physical tools to do it in the same (game-altering) way Mutumbo did.

Olawakandi- now we've got a good comparison.
7 footer? check.
Big build ? check.
Raw game? check.
Tutored by KAJ? check.
Moderate/decent athleticism? check.
Able to produce consecutive 12/9/2 seasons when motivated? Not unreasonable to expect given similar circumstances. Will Bynum stay motivated - if he does we get what everyone thought they saw in Kandi.

(btw- when Calhoun said Bynum could a top 2 pick after a few UConn seasons don't forget Mr #1 pick out of Pacific - it ain't every year a LeBron or Shaq is available-sometimes its an Olawakandi or Bogut).

Just a little food for thought on some of the above average centers of recent years. I'd be a happy man if we could get a consistant, injury-free version of any of them. As far as Olujawan, Ewing,D-Rob kind of production- do you guys realize how insanely rare that kind of athlete is????? Those guys are closer to Kareem than to whoever backed them up at the All-Star game - it's like saying you realisticly believed a guy like Keith van Horn could match Larry Bird. He wasn't a bad player but damn! that's nuts.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if this is something to be worried about, but.... Most of the great centers came into the NBA, with a well-established reputation, from the college ranks. Andrew is going to have to establish a reputation, in the NBA... It is one big step, for a teenager, just out of high school.[Insert all arguments, about Garnett, LeBron, Kobe,...etc.]

The biggest thing I see, is that Andrew is like a "caged beast", that wants to express his inner aggressiveness... All that college-level game is being amputated from his life... Andrew knows, however, that he has to hold himself back, until he learns... It's almost like Andrew is being deprived of being able to "let out his inner emotions", and make his share of mistakes... Andrew is forced to, immediately, play at a certain level, every time he hits the floor. I sometimes see Andrew going away from his natural instincts... He hesitates, and starts to think too much, instead of instinctively reacting, as per his previous experience... I hope the coaches know enough, not to try and change his good, natural instincts, in trying to refine his game....
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

About Ilgauskas. His injuries hindered his athleticism. Still, like Bynum, immense size but reliant on his skill level. Severely underated in terms of skills.

Same goes for Erick Dampier, who only played well during his contract year. Like Ilgauskas, a series of injuries slowed down his athleticism, but basic skills are still there.

Magloire? Doesn't have the pivot game, just a solid center.

Right now, Bynum is surpassing the Brendan Haywood comparison, though, Haywood has shown his share of flashes as well. Some post game. Some swat ability. Some rebound ability. Haywood hasn't proven mentally tough enough to do it every game, because the talent is there. Bynum? That's what is left to be seen.

Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
About Ilgauskas. His injuries hindered his athleticism. Still, like Bynum, immense size but reliant on his skill level. Severely underated in terms of skills.

Same goes for Erick Dampier, who only played well during his contract year. Like Ilgauskas, a series of injuries slowed down his athleticism, but basic skills are still there.

Magloire? Doesn't have the pivot game, just a solid center.

Right now, Bynum is surpassing the Brendan Haywood comparison, though, Haywood has shown his share of flashes as well. Some post game. Some swat ability. Some rebound ability. Haywood hasn't proven mentally tough enough to do it every game, because the talent is there. Bynum? That's what is left to be seen.

I think we're both talking about reasonable expectations here - and we're still talking about above-average NBA centers. I'd be pretty happy with that at #10.

On fundamentals/skills - don't forget folks, these are learned. AB can learn to shoot better, use better footwork, box out better,pass better, anticipate other players on O and D better. I believe he will b/c he's coachable,intelligent, has excellent teachers and wants to learn. Ilgauskas's skill-set is not out of the question, though he's far from it. Still, he's young and raw- he can be molded.

On athleticism - yes AB is growing. Yes, he'll put on weight and muscle mass - grow much stronger as he matures. Yes, this will greatly improve his game. Still he'll never have the foot-speed,hops and reaction time of Shaq, Olajuwan, Mutumbo or Robinson (or Jabbar, for that matter) - not at 19or 22 or 27 - ever. Still, he can jump (33"vert) has long arms and a big frame to build his strength- as an athlete he'll end up at least about average for his position if not better. He's got plenty of tools, they're just B+/A- tools not A+ level. Nothing to sneeze at.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:

MDMO49 wrote:

I knew after watching him initially that he plays the game slow, and he's just a slow big man, but that's normal for a lot of 7 footers.

Let's just say he's not going to be anywhere near the dominant 7 footer Amare Stoudamire is, nor will have the impact Amare had as a rookie.

But he definitely has some tools. Right now b/c he's young he's still learning the game, that's why he got blocked by pretty much EVERYONE in that Memphis game.

He's adjusting to a game much faster than high school where he can get away from showing the ball early while he's dunking the ball (hence getting blocked). Once he adjusts to how fast the game is played in the NBA while learning from Kareem (not the quickest player in NBA history), it will be a lot of fun watching this kid play. In addition, his length has created problems for anybody trying to score in the paint by making players adjust their shots, which is all one can expect from him.

One suspects that Bynum might have comparable impact as Stoudamire if he was playing with the Suns because the Suns' offensive game with Nash at the controls allowed Amare to receive the ball a couple feet away from the basket to dunk. If one observed Amare's offensive game when Nash was out of the game with Barbosa playing PG, one could see the defficiences in Amare's game.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I disagree.

Why does someone who doesn't even play 30 minutes look like a franchise player to someone's eyes?

Fans are banking on how Bynum is so young, but the special young players of the league, Bryant, McGrady, KG, LeBron, etc., all came out of high school with a certain amount of skill level.

Even Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler had more skill out of HS than Bynum.

All Bynum has shown is a fast learning curve, but what is it about him that spells franchise?

Because whether a player is 17-19 out of HS, the most special players come out with skill levels and basics. Eddy Curry understood how to seal a man and receive a post entry pass. Bynum is still working on that. KG had a very basic set of triple threat skills. Bynum is still working on that. Shaq out of HS knew how to seal, box-out, and really intimidate defensively his frosh/soph years at LSU. Bynum is still learning that.

What we see is court awareness. The kid just turned 18, he's got so much time ahead of him. He looks natural out there, he doesn't get intimidated, and he's got a fire in him. He wants the ball when he's in the post. He's got the tools, and Kareem is personally coaching him. This kid knows how to block, he's shown some nice post moves, and he's really had very limited minutes. He's got atleast 3-4 years tell we can say whether or not he will be great. Foolish?
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
You're not exactly Jerry West, and even someone with his experience and skill wouldn't make such wild claims

Funny, because if he was projected to do so well, he would've been top 3.

There's a reason why he slipped down far in the draft.

I don't have to be Jerry West either.

The rest of the GMs of the NBA said enough in the draft.

Tell me, how much pro basketball experience does RC Buford have?

You're not exactly Jerry West either. I highly doubt you've seen Bynum as much as I have in terms of research.

This isn't a pissing contest mike. Get over yourself.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:

MDMO49 wrote:
LakerJosh wrote:
MDMO49 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Guys.

Did you not hear the Lakers when they said he was very raw and that he had no idea of how an "above the rim" game was supposed to be played ...

The fact that he's getting offensive boards with ease while still not completely sound at positioning under the basket - tells you that he can be a very good rebounder.

I don't think Bynum would ever be a Shaq or Amare. Those guys have too much power and can dunk the ball like no other bigman. But is he not worth the investment just because he's not a power dunker/finsher?

That kind of thinking is why many overlook Tim Duncan ....

BUT, He has the ability to be a combination of a low post finnesse scorer (Like a Mihm) and some power moves (like an Eddy Curry). If he can even become a combo of Mihm and Curry - he would be a top 5 Center in the NBA and an impact player.

That's just the way it is with big's/C's in the NBA

Great post. I agree with most of what you said, but I'd leave Tim Duncan out of the picture. Mr. Fundamentals and Bynum are like polar opposites right now. One went to college for four years to learn the game and perfect his technique and was NBA ready from the getgo, the other did the EXACT opposite.

Oh, and one has one of the greatest and most fundamentally sound centers of all time coaching him personally. How people cannot see this gives him the clear advantage. Playing the NBA game and being coaching by Jabbar since he was 18. In 4 years the kid's gonna be special, book it.

For the love of god please take off the Laker goggles. Kareem worked with Kandi man, what a great center he turned out to be. Bynum will be a solid NBA center, I think he'll be better than Mihm, but he's not going to be a perennial allstar.

You have a crystal ball too?
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Bynum is a gamble, like almost every other draft pick except a handful like Lebron or Shaq. No one knows if he will be very good or not. He's guaranteed to be a good role player already based on what he has shown so far. Will he take that huge step to be an all star? No one knows.

It depends on how you define All-Star and franchise player. Most have mentioned franchise player. Olajuwon. Mutombo. Shaquille O'Neal.

All of these guys had good to elite athleticism. Mutombo may be clumsy, but his timing and reaction time were off the chart. How else do you explain 3-4bpg Defensive Player of the Year despite being slow? Bird speed.

Bynum has yet to resemble Olajuwon or Shaq's footwork, quickness, or speed, or the timing of Mutombo.... so.. where's this franchise player that everyone thinks of?

Or do fans think that players like Robert Parish were franchise players?

If he keeps at it, he may be an All-Star by default just because the center position is so weak. There's no way players like Brad Miller or Jamaal Magloire deserved it, yet they made it.

He barely turned 18. I can garentee Hakeem in his freshman year in college didn't have fantastic footwork. He's already shown good footwork and positioning in many instances. At the VERY least he's gonna be a solid center, but I have a feeling he can be more. He's so long, and he has very soft hands. If he can learn to shoot, and a few go to post moves, he's set because of his size and length.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Olajuwon an Shaq's footwork didn't come overnight. Olajuwon had great coordination in his legs from years of playing soccer. However, footwork is fundamentals, and your comparing a raw kid's footwork to guys who came in at an older age. None of those players you mentioned came into the league out of high school. Bynum tested very well in the pre-draft athletic tests and he is a huge kid with room to grow more. How can you question his shot block timing, he's 11th in the league in blocks per 48. That isn't a result of his knowledge of the game, that's a result of his desire, athleticism and timing. You can't expect him to come in with very limited high school experience and a few games in the SPL and expect him to blow us away with his skills.

Andrew has been used sparingly by Phil, but his numbers while he is out there have been good. For the sake of argument, let's compare him to another high school player who became a franchise player in Kevin Garnett. Keep in mind during his rookie season he as the talk of the league, and his success encouraged Kobe and Jermaine O'neal to follow him the next year.

Garnett's Rookie Year:

10.4 points, 6.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.08 steals, 1.64 blocks, 1.38 turnovers in 28.7 minutes.

Adjusting Bynum's minutes to equal Garnett's minutes and multiplying his stats by that he would be averaging:

7.4 points, 7.76 rebounds, 0.4 assists, 0.27 steals, 1.86 blocks, 1.5 turnovers.

That's compared to a former league MVP. They play differnet positions obviously and their games are very different. Garnett has been one of hte league's elite rebounders and Bynum can be also. His shot blocking capabilities can't be denied. His footwork needs work but I think anyone can see that he has the mentality and ability to become a very good scorer. If you gave Bynum the 35 minutes per game that are considered starter minutes his numbers would be:

9 points, 9.5 rebounds, 0.47 assists, 0.33 steals, 2.3 blocks, 2.13 turnovers

That's not bad for a kid who just turned 18 a few months ago.
G1 Hydrogenic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject:

Um...yeah, I haven't had a reason to take Hollinger seriously.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
You ignored the part where I mentioned Tim Duncan.

Seems that a SF by the name of Jeffries owned him pretty bad too ...

BTW - I never called Bynum an elite athlete. He has great length and hands - but not the explosive leaper or mover on the court that elite athletes ussually are.

No I didn't. I just forgot to add my thoughts on it before I hit the SUBMIT button.

But speaking of "ignoring parts"...

Quote:
Who said anything about Bynum being a "dunker" or not?

I merely have issues with those who continue to insist that he has "surprising" athletic ability. The fact that someone of his size, length, and age gets stuffed by a SF of average athletic ability should go a long ways towards disproving that.

But it goes more to the point of how homers (like Angel) tend to overestimate the abilities or prowess of players who play on teams that they root for.

B Cook puts together two very good back-to-back games = future All-Star.

Bynum fakes Shaq out of his jock and dunks = special player

Bynum fails to box out Shaq, gets bammed on, and crumples to the floor = foul on Shaq

Where's the middle ground here?

Mike AT LG provides an honest in-depth analysis of Bynum after watching several SPL games. He declines to tow the homer party line in terms of expectations and it's all because the Lakers didn't draft Danny Granger?

C'mon.

See any pattern here?

Well Angel may be a little overly optimistic but I prefer that over overly pessimistic.

On Cookie - No he isn't an All-Star talent, and I said that much when Angel brought it up.

Mike did want Granger and so did you - over Bynum. That might not make you guys Bynum haters/doubters but it certainly can hinder the amount of positives you see in him. It's the same thing with Cook vs Barbosa - and how overrated Barbosa was here for a year or two. Now we know, Barbosa is neither all-NBA or All-Defensive material and is more of a "2" than a PG.

Basically it's the age old argument of athleticism. People that are high on leaping ability or explsoive quickness can never be that high on an Andrew Bynum.

While Andrew Bynum isn't athletically challenged - He is not an elite athlete. I have said that from the get go. Not a big leaper or explosive quickness. BUT, is that all that decides upside? According to those that dismiss Bynum's upside - It is.

Tyson Chandler is an elite athlete. Marcus Camby is an elite athlete. Yet neither has a low post game or the skill level of a franchise player. You need the skills too. Andrew Bynum has a low post game to work with. He has length and size to work with. So long as he works hard on understanding how to maxamize his strengths - he can become better. His length and size can allow him to be an anchor. Motumbo? Probably not. His low post game can allow him to be a low post threat. Shaq? Probably not.

He has the clay to get much, much better. Does that mean FP? No. But does that absolutely mean there's a certain limit? NO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:

He needs more strength, playing time, and work with Cap...he had 5 rebs in 10 minutes, guys...
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hollinger's take on Bynum...

LkrsOvrMia wrote:
Andrew Bynum, Los Angeles Lakers: Raw teenage center intrigues with tools but has long, long way to go.

Thoughts? Give me more than just "Hollinger's an arse" or "It's BSPN after all."

Go Lakers!

Yeah. This is the guy who chose Bynum as the one player in the NBA draft whom he had never seen play, but predicted would be a complete and total bust.

Excuse me if I don't care about his opinion.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
hat's not bad for a kid who just turned 18 a few months ago.

Out of HS, Olajwuon, Shaq, and Mutombo knew certain basics as freshmen for their respective schools. The athleticism? There.

Quote:
Mike did want Granger and so did you - over Bynum.

I did, simply because he was a safer pick. The amount of PT, skills, and athleticism that Granger has shown this season has been proof enough.

Judging from SPL play? I wouldn't have been "wrong." Bynum had huge holes in his game.

DidierUniversity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

At worst Bynum will be another DeSagana Diop...which isnt half bad?
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

From Kevin Ding's blog re: Bynum

Quote:
Andrew Bynum is not the answer now. On this one, Jackson and I agree. If you look at his offensive game compared to Brown's, I can see why many people think Bynum is more useful, but that's solely on an individual level after seeing Bynum's lust for scoring. Bynum -- to state it flatly -- has very little clue what's going on from a team perspective, and I mean that at both ends of the court. Frankly, he's lucky he doesn't get called for an offensive foul every time he sets a pick, becuse he moves into the defender so blatantly. He gets away with it because his lower body is so weak that his picks don't offer force even when he does move in like that.

BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

Once upon a time, Alonzo Mourning was a star center who though a meer 6'10", was an absolute 20/10 demon. And he wasn't as strong as Shaq, as skilled as Hakeen, or as quick as the Admiral. What he was, was the most intense player out there. And though he might not have had the best tools out there, he had enough and his mindset took him the rest of the way.

Not every star or superstar has the most dominant ability or skills at their position. Acutally, some don't have as much as you may think, but the have the will and they have the heart, and thats what makes the difference. Look at Elton Brand or even Charles Barkley.

Everyone likes to compare players, I do too, which is why I go for the taller Zo with a hookshot, comparison for AB. But really, it ain't fair. All those centers that keep getting mentioned are one of a kinds. Bynum will find his own groove and make his own legacy.

And since people also like throwing out stats...

I think he'll be the perinial rebound king throughout his career. He'll board around 13-16 at his peek while scoring a decent 16-18 points. He'll be up there in blocks too.

I already see some intensity there. When truly develops that mean streak, he will be a demon.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I did, simply because he was a safer pick. The amount of PT, skills, and athleticism that Granger has shown this season has been proof enough.

Judging from SPL play? I wouldn't have been "wrong." Bynum had huge holes in his game.

Granger type forwards are a dime a dozen. We might even trade or aquire one since George is a FA this summer.

Bynum is a true Center with a low post game. Be it that you saw him at 17 years old and very raw, it's an unfair comparison.

Also, If Bynum wasn't rated high by GM's - Why was he Orlando's pick after Villanueva?

Why would teams want personal workouts with him - that he cancelled - who were higher than the Lakers in the draft?

Granger fell to 17 for a reason. He is a very athletic player who has polished his game in college. But his type of players are very common.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Granger type forwards are a dime a dozen. We might even trade or aquire one since George is a FA this summer.

Bynum is a true Center with a low post game. Be it that you saw him at 17 years old and very raw, it's an unfair comparison.

Also, If Bynum wasn't rated high by GM's - Why was he Orlando's pick after Villanueva?

Why would teams want personal workouts with him - that he cancelled - who were higher than the Lakers in the draft?

Granger fell to 17 for a reason. He is a very athletic player who has polished his game in college. But his type of players are very common.

Anybody who thinks the Lakers made the wrong decision are foolish.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: