Who is your favourite 3rd string?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Who is your favourite 3rd string?

1. Thomas Robinson - athletic specimen who is fighting to justify his 5th pick status. 100% effort every single possession, regardless of the situation. Shows significant offensive upside, but has not demonstrated NBA level defense notwithstanding his athleticism.

2. Tarik Black (if you consider Mozgov 2nd unit) - essentially a C version of TR. Clearly a clear headed wise influence with his off court achievement. Has a higher bball IQ than TR seemingly, and is a much better team defender and rim protector at this point. Flashed out 2 rare mid range Js tonight, one of which was close to 3pt line.

3. David Nwaba - LA boy, LA fan, LA Defender, and now LA Laker. Actually a pretty good NBA level defender, despite his lack of experience at this level. Good off ball slasher, but abysmal on the ball, which may suggest limited offensive upset. However, his effort and athleticism might be able to compensate on that end, as suggested by tonight's performance. Fills a big defensive need (perimeter D).

4. Tyler Ennis - aka worst Rocket player. But has shown some glimpse that suggests he may not be the worst NBA player after all. Decent floor general skills, and is an average 3pt shooter. Basically a worse Farmar, who was actually very athletic.

Who would you guys retain? Why? And for how much?
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't call Tarik a 3rd-string, but he's one of my favorite players in the team period. He always gives his all.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

MWP just because of how crazy fans go when he checks in and bricks shots
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is your favourite 3rd string?

Yong wrote:
1. Thomas Robinson - athletic specimen who is fighting to justify his 5th pick status. 100% effort every single possession, regardless of the situation. Shows significant offensive upside, but has not demonstrated NBA level defense notwithstanding his athleticism.

2. Tarik Black (if you consider Mozgov 2nd unit) - essentially a C version of TR. Clearly a clear headed wise influence with his off court achievement. Has a higher bball IQ than TR seemingly, and is a much better team defender and rim protector at this point. Flashed out 2 rare mid range Js tonight, one of which was close to 3pt line.

3. David Nwaba - LA boy, LA fan, LA Defender, and now LA Laker. Actually a pretty good NBA level defender, despite his lack of experience at this level. Good off ball slasher, but abysmal on the ball, which may suggest limited offensive upset. However, his effort and athleticism might be able to compensate on that end, as suggested by tonight's performance. Fills a big defensive need (perimeter D).

4. Tyler Ennis - aka worst Rocket player. But has shown some glimpse that suggests he may not be the worst NBA player after all. Decent floor general skills, and is an average 3pt shooter. Basically a worse Farmar, who was actually very athletic.

Who would you guys retain? Why? And for how much?

I think there is a good chance Black isn't back next year, his 8M cap can be valuable if we attach it with the Houston pick or use him in a big trade.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Thomas Robinson. Battles every play.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't class Tarik Black as third-string, he played in the second-unit for most of the season until Mozgov wasn't starting and then got shut down for the rest of the season. Black was starting, Zubac moved as the starting centre and then once Black returned from injury he move back to the second-unit. I think you know what you are going to get with Black he plays hard, he's an engery guy off the bench. He's more suited playing in the second-unit rather than starting. I can't believe Byron didn't play him that much last season and said he doesn't played hard enough. Black's contract is non-guaranteed next season I think, so it's not 100% he will be on the Lakers' roster next season. I would keep him if it was up to me.

Nwaba should be kept next season, he brings defense which the Lakers lack, he's an LA kid born and raised in LA. His story from going undrafted in the D-League draft then to signing with the D-Fenders and then getting a call-up to the Lakers and to where he is now is a great story. He hasn't been around the team that long only a month or two, I think he will play in Summer League this year.
His athleticism is one of his biggest strengths over the summer he needs to work on his shot and hopefully to try and improve his three-point shooting even if it's just corner threes.

I can understand why the Lakers traded Huertas for Ennis as his contract is an expiring deal and there isn't any risks for the Lakers. Ennis is still quite young and the Lakers don't have many PGs on the roster. I think Ennis has had some good moments but I'm not convinced by him yet and I don't think he returns next season. I think the Lakers could find a better third PG than Ennis in the off-season.

Thomas Robinson is a bit like Black you know what you are going to get when he plays, he will bring energy and he will play hard for sure. Recently he's played well in the last few games and said he want's to stay with the Lakers next year. He's happy to be the 13/14 player on the roster it seems. If the Lakers can sign him to a cheap contract then it might be worth keeping him next season but his offense game is limited. Could the Lakers find a player similar toT-Rob but a better shooter as a role player in the off season?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
I wouldn't class Tarik Black as third-string, he played in the second-unit for most of the season until Mozgov wasn't starting and then got shut down for the rest of the season. Black was starting, Zubac moved as the starting centre and then once Black returned from injury he move back to the second-unit. I think you know what you are going to get with Black he plays hard, he's an engery guy off the bench. He's more suited playing in the second-unit rather than starting. I can't believe Byron didn't play him that much last season and said he doesn't played hard enough. Black's contract is non-guaranteed next season I think, so it's not 100% he will be on the Lakers' roster next season. I would keep him if it was up to me.

Nwaba should be kept next season, he brings defense which the Lakers lack, he's an LA kid born and raised in LA. His story from going undrafted in the D-League draft then to signing with the D-Fenders and then getting a call-up to the Lakers and to where he is now is a great story. He hasn't been around the team that long only a month or two, I think he will play in Summer League this year.
His athleticism is one of his biggest strengths over the summer he needs to work on his shot and hopefully to try and improve his three-point shooting even if it's just corner threes.

I can understand why the Lakers traded Huertas for Ennis as his contract is an expiring deal and there isn't any risks for the Lakers. Ennis is still quite young and the Lakers don't have many PGs on the roster. I think Ennis has had some good moments but I'm not convinced by him yet and I don't think he returns next season. I think the Lakers could find a better third PG than Ennis in the off-season.

Thomas Robinson is a bit like Black you know what you are going to get when he plays, he will bring energy and he will play hard for sure. Recently he's played well in the last few games and said he want's to stay with the Lakers next year. He's happy to be the 13/14 player on the roster it seems. If the Lakers can sign him to a cheap contract then it might be worth keeping him next season but his offense game is limited. Could the Lakers find a player similar toT-Rob but a better shooter as a role player in the off season?

Regarding your post on finding another big who can score more effectively. that guy is Okafor who probably won't cost much but JC or the Houston pick and filler.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

TRob...I would like him and the Lakers come to an agreement (favorable to the Lakers) early in offseason, and he spends the summer working with a shooting coach instead of in El Segundo scrimmaging trying to prove he is worth a roster slot. Just try to add a 12-15 footer to his game for the upcoming season.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Here I thought 'G' was the fourth string.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

tony wrote:
MWP just because of how crazy fans go when he checks in and bricks shots

I think Magic and Rob will have the guts to not have him on the roster next year, but you never know!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject:

Was just thinking about this over the weekend. I would have no issues with all of them being brought back as the third string. I would include Brewer in the discussion too.

Much will depend on what the Lakers are able to accomplish with pick(s) and free agency. But all five of those players bring a athleticism and energy that can help the bench over the course of the season.

Not sure the Lakers will keep them all though. Black may very well be included in a trade. Robinson is a free agent and might have shown enough to get a good sized contract offer. Ennis is also a free agent but not as likely to get a sizable pay raise. Nwaba and Brewer are easy decisions to being back IMO. Both give much needed defensive energy.

Curious of thoughts on Robinson actually getting a bigger role? Randle is one of the most mentioned being available in trade. Assume the Lakers make that George (or similar) trade. Would a Nance, Robinson, and possibly Deng or a rookie at PF be solid enough to move forward with. Interesting anyways.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: