Losing a top 3 draft pick is worse than losing in the NBA Finals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Can't lose something you never had. So no.

This
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Tanking is hard on the fan base. Turns them inside out.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I agree it is hard....and I even understand how some would be against the philosophy in theory.....but I dont understand how we could have tanked for months, then as a fan wanting to win these last few games when it only reduces our odds @ getting a high draft pick.
SwissLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Only if Lebron James is in the draft that you lose the pick. Otherwise, I'd rather win the NBA Finals. Banners fly forever. A top prospect sometimes works out, and other times flames out.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I agree it is hard....and I even understand how some would be against the philosophy in theory.....but I dont understand how we could have tanked for months, then as a fan wanting to win these last few games when it only reduces our odds @ getting a high draft pick.

Tanking used to be, I think, and the way I like to think of it, is when you play your young guys and you see what you have. You prioritize development and experimentation, over winning.

But to intentionally lose, or just stay home for half a season like some have suggested, goes against the point of sport.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

If that top 3 pick is LeBron, Kobe, Duncan, etc then yeah because you just lost a contender for 10+ years.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Tanking used to be, I think, and the way I like to think of it, is when you play your young guys and you see what you have. You prioritize development and experimentation, over winning.

But to intentionally lose, or just stay home for half a season like some have suggested, goes against the point of sport.

And therein lies the problem. There is always someone to up the ante and take the next step, and eventually you get teams just transparently throwing games.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
If that top 3 pick is LeBron, Kobe, Duncan, etc then yeah because you just lost a contender for 10+ years.

Lucky for us, as good as Fultz/Lonzo are, they still won't ever sniff LeBron,Kobe or Duncan status.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Completely agree with this. If you want to tank, trade your best players and roll out your young guys. If they play well, you shouldn't penalize them for that even if they may have contributed to a win. I realize there's a lot at stake for this pick, but the amount of anger going towards our centerpieces for the future is astonishing to me. Would you want to lower the players' confidence by benching them for performing well? That just creates mistrust within the organization.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And therein lies the problem. There is always someone to up the ante and take the next step, and eventually you get teams just transparently throwing games.

Yeah. I wonder if the league will consider abolishing pick protections. If we didn't have that, there'd be nothing to tank for.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah. I wonder if the league will consider abolishing pick protections. If we didn't have that, there'd be nothing to tank for.

That's not a bad idea, but the trade value of future first rounders would sky rocket.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don't think its people looking for wins. Its being content knowing that the FO has done everything it could to enable the tank, seeing that youth development has been prioritized, and then not throwing a hissy fit when they inadvertently win.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

{{Stu Lantz Voice}} "Uhh, no it isn't"
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject:

HECK NO!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject:

What a weird statement to make OP. Say we get our top 3 pick. There is no guarantees that we'll be getting a player who can make an impact in the NBA. Especially, Lonzo Ball. I like what I see and he has certain aspects to him that makes me think he could great, but he could also completely flop in the NBA. Or maybe draft a player whose career is hampered by injuries. Nothing is a lock.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject:

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject:

Don't you remember how painful 2008, 2004, 1991, 1989?
(Old timers could prob recall painful times from even before that)

There's only 1 goal... ring

You would even mortgage the future for a chance at a ring (legit chance)

We need to have more than boston, simple as that
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:

One more thing - losing a title often immediately precedes winning a title.

After 2008 came 2009 and 2010.

Getting a top draft pick just means your record sucks.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Too many people trust the process. A process that has yet to be proven successful in the NBA.

I assume you think the 76'ers are the first team to be bad, get a some good draft picks, and either develop them or trade them to go on and be good?

Heard Daryl Morey recently speaking about it......out of the 1000's of simulations they have ran....tanking for top picks....or the process is the only method of building a quality team that produced consistent successful results.....but I am sure once or twice those methods for those stuck in the 80's would still work.

So who has it worked for? Maybe 1 title for the Warriors. Not for Cleveland or the Spurs or Heat or the Lakers. And certainly not for Daryl Morehead. He is having success due to trades and FA signings.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I am not sure we are tanking rather than just not being good. We are sitting some vets but I don't think we were better when they were playing.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

if we lose this years pick, we will lose 2019 as well
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I am not sure we are tanking rather than just not being good. We are sitting some vets but I don't think we were better when they were playing.

In proper lineups, absolutely we were better. What's more, by constantly tinkering, we've broken up any continuity. With young players, continuity is really really important.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

And this needed its own thread because...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

It was proclaimed to be the end of the world if the Lakers lost each of their last 3 picks too. They got them, they'll almost surely get this one too, but they're still far from the main prize.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
lol y'all have really fallen in love with the idea of draft picks, huh?

How dare you?
It's so better to toy every year with ping pongs and draft picks than try to compete.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: