Lakers/Phoenix : Final Five
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
Whatever, I don't see a transcendent talent in this draft (sniffles and wipes eyes).

This! I agree. Could be some, but really it is just a bunch of guards who all have flaws. Fultz is the least flawed.

Next year will have some good impact bigs.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject:

I also don't see a sure fire franchise carrying level talent in this draft....not saying one of them won't be, but out of the gate I don't think anyone sees a player of Bron, KD, TD, Shaq etc....players you knew coming in were going to be marquee franchise talents.

It would be nice to continue to improve our depth but if we lose out on our top pick which means it would be 4th or worse it's not like the player we would have potentially drafted at that position would be a game changer for the Lakers it would just be another nice addition to the roster at this point
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

What team has ever rebuilt into a contender by several years tanking and at the top of the draft? I guess you could argue the Warriors, though there was a lot of luck involved, if Curry hadn't had early injury concerns he would be making a lot more. And those injuries also brought them the draft pick that was Thompson. Tanking is far from a proven and solid method of building a winner.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
What team has ever rebuilt into a contender by several years tanking and at the top of the draft? I guess you could argue the Warriors, though there was a lot of luck involved, if Curry hadn't had early injury concerns he would be making a lot more. And those injuries also brought them the draft pick that was Thompson. Tanking is far from a proven and solid method of building a winner.

I don't even think they truly were tanking in the Monta years, unless you count their last non-playoff season when they had to save their top 8 or something protected 1st rounder and ended up taking Harrison Barnes.

The Dubs rebuilt their team with savvy drafting using mid-lottery picks (Steph - #7, Klay - #11, Barnes - #7) and a brilliant and lucky 2nd round steal with Dray, along with smart trades for established vets like Bogut and Iggy. Like you said, it was a lot more luck than tanking. Literally every move they made in a 2 or 3-year span resulted in the best case scenario, and would be nearly impossible to replicate.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

Didn't the 3rd pick get the 1st pick more often than the 2nd in Draft history?
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Didn't the 3rd pick get the 1st pick more often than the 2nd in Draft history?

No, didn't anyone tell you? The 3rd slot is automatically guaranteed a 0% chance of staying in the top 3, forget about the 1st pick.

#alternatefacts
Billium
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
Suns are playing it correct.

Lakers are not.

The Lakers are trying to develop the young players they have, that is the correct thing to do. The Suns are also, their players are just not as good.

I think the difference is that they didn't sign high priced vets in the off season because they don't have to sell their fans on anything. Benefit of living in a smaller market I guess. Plus the coaching, Watson is their Byron and will be gone.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
We are getting the number one pick just watch and see

Nola got theirs and Cavs got two in a row. They owe us for the Cp3 Heisman that was pulled

Psshh!!! Yea right. The NBA really doesn't give a (bleep) about us anymore. Not until we get a star
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
We are getting the number one pick just watch and see

Nola got theirs and Cavs got two in a row. They owe us for the Cp3 Heisman that was pulled

Psshh!!! Yea right. The NBA really doesn't give a (bleep) about us anymore. Not until we get a star

The team cares about the Knicks and Lakers being good but they cant gift wrap those teams with superstars... im just happy we arent the New York Knicks.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Bogut was out with an injury when the Warriors traded Monta for him.

Bucks trade Andrew Bogut (Mar 14, 2012)

Quote:

Bogut fractured his left ankle Jan. 25 against Houston when he landed awkwardly, and it's not clear if he'll be able to return this season. The original timetable for his recovery was eight to 12 weeks. It's one of several significant injuries that have plagued Bogut throughout his career.

Andrew Bogut

He has no stats with the Warriors for the 2011 - 2012 season.

So I would classify that trade as part of a tanking move by the Warriors.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

The Dubs rebuilt their team with savvy drafting using mid-lottery picks (Steph - #7, Klay - #11, Barnes - #7) and a brilliant and lucky 2nd round steal with Dray, along with smart trades for established vets like Bogut and Iggy.

Sounds like the Lakers drafting Randle, Zu, Clarkson, Nance. Except Mozg is no Bogut and Deng is not Iggy.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: