Firefighter suspended after saying he'd rather save one dog than a million <black slur>
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Firefighter suspended after saying he'd rather save one dog than a million <black slur>

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/firefighters-racist-facebook-post-dog-fire-black-people-claims-tyler-roysdon-a7954176.html

suspended, not fired
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Another face of The Emboldening... There's a new viral of a white lad in Seattle getting knocked out for wearing a swastika in public and spouting the typical good people on both sides fare.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Trump has released the Kraken.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Another face of The Emboldening... There's a new viral of a white lad in Seattle getting knocked out for wearing a swastika in public and spouting the typical good people on both sides fare.

NSFW LINK
Home boy got a mean right hook. Dude did a Pacquiao, went to sleep. Somebody said night, night. He got KDFO.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how those crazies would feel about someone wearing an ISIS flag on their arms because that's almost EXACTLY the same thing, except that about 400,000 more people died fighting WWII than the deaths from ISIS.

Anything that supports the Nazis is basically you saying, it's OK that we lost more than 450,000 civilians and soldiers and that it's right for you to do.

Look at the folks who fought WWII and ask them, is it right to wear put _any_ Nazi or their ideals on any type of pedestal.

Same with the Confederate flag. Yeah for Treason? Yeah for generals who could have fought for the North but decided that slavery was awesome?

So much backwards logic in that pond scum group, that it makes me wonder if those humans can favor comparably to a cat.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

LGers would save a dog than a million people.

And that's true!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:

And that's true!

I was just thinking that... so many people would legitimately save a dog over another human being.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Conker wrote:

And that's true!

I was just thinking that... so many people would legitimately save a dog over another human being.

Yeah. Never understood that mentality. I never get the fascination of dogs among first-world citizens. :/
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
Same with the Confederate flag. Yeah for Treason? Yeah for generals who could have fought for the North but decided that slavery was awesome?

This is destined to get merged into The Political Thread, but I'll give you a response to that is only quasi-political. Has it struck anyone else that our culture seems to be constantly jumping from one bit of minutiae to another, with people getting outraged over some of the oddest things.

Wedding cakes for gay marriages

Transsexuals in the restroom

Kneeling for the national anthem

There are probably a lot more examples. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong to be against Confederate symbolism, but with everything else that is going on in the world, is this really what matters? Are we as a society really so easily distracted?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tlim wrote:

This is destined to get merged into The Political Thread, but I'll give you a response to that is only quasi-political. Has it struck anyone else that our culture seems to be constantly jumping from one bit of minutiae to another, with people getting outraged over some of the oddest things.

There are probably a lot more examples. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong to be against Confederate symbolism, but with everything else that is going on in the world, is this really what matters? Are we as a society really so easily distracted?

this is not related to any of the subjects you mentioned, or any specific subject.....but a lot of people are actively searching for reasons to be offended....on big issues (national) and small issues (personal), some people get addicted to the "negative attention", pity, etc. It is not as good as positive attention, but it is a lot easier to obtain. Like I said, this is not about any single issue, gender, race or political affiliation.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Conker wrote:

And that's true!

we talkin about "a dog" or "my dog"? If we are talking about "my dog", then yes, she is getting on the ark before any of you fools!
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Conker wrote:

And that's true!

we talkin about "a dog" or "my dog"? If we are talking about "my dog", then yes, she is getting on the ark before any of you fools!

This
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tlim wrote:

this is not related to any of the subjects you mentioned, or any specific subject.....but a lot of people are actively searching for reasons to be offended....on big issues (national) and small issues (personal), some people get addicted to the "negative attention", pity, etc. It is not as good as positive attention, but it is a lot easier to obtain. Like I said, this is not about any single issue, gender, race or political affiliation.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for wanting Confederate statues removed, but it seems like we have a never ending series of sideshows. Social media takes hold of it, and the result is division and distraction.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

NSFW LINK
Home boy got a mean right hook. Dude did a Pacquiao, went to sleep. Somebody said night, night. He got KDFO.

Saw that on Desus & Mero. I think dude learned the hard way why Hitler's street level thugs had to cut a more substantial figure than 5'8" and had to show evidence of a robust jaw/chin.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Well, the Confederate symbolism thing has been at a simmer for a number of decades. It's only recently that people finally realize its meaning.

As for the rest of society and the world, it's part of human nature. People will always look through what they see as important no matter what.

Abortion, guns, religion, politics. Always divisive and with how media is, yes, you are constantly exposed. The pettiness has been pushed to the limits with social media and the trolls come out from everywhere. Most people won't express their level of animosity in real life because there are consequences.

The internet has no real consequence unless you post on Facebook or something else where it can be tracked to simply you.

Simple commentary, and no real argument from me. I accept it as the nature of the beast that we live in with little ability to change it as it's not something that is controllable (unless you remove all anonymity from the internet).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Conker wrote:

And that's true!

Two ridiculous posts.

First of all, the original comment in question was not about valuing a dog over one human life. It was a comment literally stating that a million minority lives were worth less than that of a dog.

So, if you want to attach yourself to Conker's asinine hyperbole, go right ahead. But it's not a good look.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tlim wrote:

Have you seen what people in other parts of the world get worked up over?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefighter suspended after saying he'd rather save one dog than a million <black slur>

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/firefighters-racist-facebook-post-dog-fire-black-people-claims-tyler-roysdon-a7954176.html

suspended, not fired

What a hoser.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tlim wrote:

Hear your point, but not sure you want to equate people being against the rights of gays, transsexuals, and protesters; with being against the symbols of the very white supremacists who are actively working to deny rights to others, and who have allies if not outright fellow travelers running most levels of government.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tlim wrote:

Hear your point, but not sure you want to equate people being against the rights of gays, transsexuals, and protesters; with being against the symbols of the very white supremacists who are actively working to deny rights to others, and who have allies if not outright fellow travelers running most levels of government.

Of course. You're righteous, and the other people are evil and misguided. Every culture warrior feels that way. These days, we have an awful lot of culture warriors in politics.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Offhand, I don't know of another society that gets as obsessed with social media driven plotlines as us.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tlim wrote:

Of course. You're righteous, and the other people are evil and misguided. Every culture warrior feels that way. These days, we have an awful lot of culture warriors in politics.

Pretty clearly they're not the same.
Wedding cakes for gay marriages, Transsexuals in the restroom,Kneeling for the national anthem are fights for equality or to live with equal protection.
While Confederate symbolism is the exact opposite, it's the fight to preserve inequality (at least the symbol of it)
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Offhand, I don't know of another society that gets as obsessed with social media driven plotlines as us.

I suspect we've not looked at other modern societies enough to compare. There are some crazy things that happen in Asia and to be honest, lots of fake information gets spread via their media. And many people buy it, hook line and sinker. So focusing on developed countries, I'm pretty sure they are as crazy as us. The only difference is that their country is a bit more monoculture than ours.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Could that be because we're more open with social media plot lines? I think if we investigated the media driven plot line obsessions of other free world countries like Canada we may find a parallel.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I suspect we've not looked at other modern societies enough to compare. There are some crazy things that happen in Asia and to be honest, lots of fake information gets spread via their media. And many people buy it, hook line and sinker. So focusing on developed countries, I'm pretty sure they are as crazy as us. The only difference is that their country is a bit more monoculture than ours.

I'm sure every country has something you could point to. But I know of no country that even comes close to what we are experiencing culturally. For example, we obsess about whether a baker can be compelled to make a cake for a gay wedding. We aren't talking about gay rights or even about the legality of gay marriage. We're talking about a mostly hypothetical situation in which a homophobic baker refuses to make a cake for a gay wedding. I say "mostly" because it must have happened somewhere, or else it wouldn't be in the courts. But really, it sounds more like the subject of one of those daytime TV screamfests than a matter for national debate.

If we had one or two of those (How dare they shoot that gorilla!), it would be one thing. But we seem to have a constant stream of this stuff. Is it any surprise that our politics resembles the daytime TV screamfests?

Anyway, I'll leave it that. I swore off political discussions on this board a few months ago. This was just a brief relapse.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: