MWP: The Lakers are the next Warriors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: MWP: The Lakers are the next Warriors

One of our favorite sons is high on the lakers future.

https://twitter.com/chris_broussard/status/849626307482664961

-Says Ingram can take over games. Stronger than people think, ask guys who guard him in NBA.

-Said Russell is a very good player, can't make mistakes against him. His body has gotten better. Still turning it over a bit, but not as much as last season. Has high hopes for "4th year Russell."

-Randle is still raw according to MWP, but he talked about his triple double potential like draymond.

-Says if they stay together, they can win. Although he admits he doesn't know what FO will do. He's just a player.

-MWP says LaVar Ball is fun. Might be sitting on billion dollar brand of it translates. Maybe just niche to basketball or BBB might translate to other areas of sports industry.

-MWP grew up a bulls fan. His favorite player...BJ Armstrong.

-story on breaking MJ's ribs.

-his fights in practice. Had very physical battles with Kobe. Said Kobe was fearless. Loves the game so much.

And more. MWP is so much fun to listen to.

Last edited by LakerSD on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:47 am; edited 4 times in total
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

It is an absolute joy to listen to this man talk.

MWP that is. Broussard makes me want to gouge my ear drums out
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

Always like MWP

Do it Rob!!!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

Most people will roll their eyes about Metta's comments, but they also pretend GSW became great overnight. The truth is the first winning record for this GSW team was in 2012-2013. This was Steph's 4th season, Klay's 2nd, and Green and Barnes were rookies. They did not become real contenders for another 2 years. I think we are in a very good position for the future, but it does not happen overnight. GSW put the blueprint in front of everyone, why are we in such a rush that we cannot follow it?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Most people will roll their eyes about Metta's comments, but they also pretend GSW became great overnight. The truth is the first winning record for this GSW team was in 2012-2013. This was Steph's 4th season, Klay's 2nd, and Green and Barnes were rookies. They did not become real contenders for another 2 years. I think we are in a very good position for the future, but it does not happen overnight. GSW put the blueprint in front of everyone, why are we in such a rush that we cannot follow it?

I think the fans are pretty patient. We just aren't sure if the new front office is. The front office is after the big fish. The corporations and celebrities who buy the expensive season seats. Going to Laker games just isn't as sexy as it used to be. You won't be seen on national TV nearly as often.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I talked about why the GSW comp never made sense to me in the defensive rankings thread. Lakers haven't shown close to the same level of progress we saw from GSW in two seasons. We knew GSW was headed on a good defensive trajectory after the additions of Bogut, Green, Ezeli, etc. Them cats jumped just about 13 spots in defensive efficiency the year Bogut, Green were on the roster. The Lakers need similar minded players to get out of the lottery. I think Nwaba is a good start, but it is simply not enough. That's why they need to do everything to keep the pick this year. Maybe Josh Jackson is that guy. Who knows...
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

I'm glad this guy was able to make LA his home towards the end of his career, he's going to be loved in LA forever. If we look at his career positively he will be remembered as a Laker, if someone looks at his career negatively then he will be remembered as a Pacer.

Also, not saying MWP is a psychic but he predicted Curry winning MVP when he was just becoming an all star back in 2013... so he's pretty much a psychic.

I want to believe
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Another thing to consider is the salary allotment on that GS team. Rookie contracts on the emerging stars while "overpaying" for older vets.

Contracts on players like Biedrins, Lee, Bogut and Jefferson were all on the books. All taking up more of a percentage of the 2012-13 cap then the Mozgov and Deng contracts this year.

There are similarities in not just on the court blueprint but also in salary cap too. It takes time to build a competitive team after being in the basement. Trajectory is up IMO.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I think the fans are pretty patient. We just aren't sure if the new front office is. The front office is after the big fish. The corporations and celebrities who buy the expensive season seats. Going to Laker games just isn't as sexy as it used to be. You won't be seen on national TV nearly as often.

That's why I'll never understand the logic of Jeanie saying really dumb (bleep) like "I'd be so sad if we don't have an all-star next season".

Women, most of your fan base is finally patient for the first time in ever and you decide to say stuff like that?? She always has all these power trips in her head that I don't think anyone really understands, not even Magic/Pelinka or Mitch/Jim but if we trade for an all-star in a panic trade, we all know where the push really came from.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

Reason Warriors became what they are is Steph Curry's ankles early in his career and being able to sign him to what is now a steal of a deal. If he wasnt on such a cheap deal they can never put togetehr the team they did
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

Keep in mind that Steph, Klay, and Dray were all juniors/seniors when they were drafted, which sped up GS's trajectory compared to us. I'm not saying we're gonna become them, but it stands to reason that our road to contention is gonna be rougher because we're dealing with kids here that are still growing into their bodies and learning how to play the right way.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Make Metta Magic's Boss.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Shout out to BJ Armstrong.

!...
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

I don't see it but I hope he's right.

Steph year 1 17.5-.4.5-5.9-1.9 .462 and .437
Klay year 1 .414 from 3's

Those guys showed elite skills right out the gate

Last edited by defense on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

I don't want to be the Warriors.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Again, they were all upperclassmen who had the time and coaching to develop at the college level before stepping foot in the NBA. I'm just jealous that GS nailed all these picks and practically got NBA ready All-Stars from the get go - it's not often that the best players in a draft are ones that have stayed in college 3-4 years.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

What ages were those guys when they came into the league?
DaGreatKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That's why I'll never understand the logic of Jeanie saying really dumb (bleep) like "I'd be so sad if we don't have an all-star next season".

Women, most of your fan base is finally patient for the first time in ever and you decide to say stuff like that?? She always has all these power trips in her head that I don't think anyone really understands, not even Magic/Pelinka or Mitch/Jim but if we trade for an all-star in a panic trade, we all know where the push really came from.

What's wrong with her statement? It doesn't mean to say that she doesn't believe that we have an All-star on our roster currently. Or that we can sign one without affecting our core this off-season. Although pickings are slim this summer. Having an all-star makes her job on the business side much easier, and in expanding our fanbase.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
defense wrote:

What ages were those guys when they came into the league?

They were a little older but I'm not denying that. The point I'm trying to make is there were clear signs that they were going to be really good in year one. In the case of our guys everything is based on potential and hope. That is all I'm saying. You can take any of the 18-22 year olds in the league and say "hey they might be really good one day" but how often does that work out? This is why I don't like the Warrior comparisons. Its a completely different situation with completely different types of players.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I talked about why the GSW comp never made sense to me in the defensive rankings thread. Lakers haven't shown close to the same level of progress we saw from GSW in two seasons. We knew GSW was headed on a good defensive trajectory after the additions of Bogut, Green, Ezeli, etc. Them cats jumped just about 13 spots in defensive efficiency the year Bogut, Green were on the roster. The Lakers need similar minded players to get out of the lottery. I think Nwaba is a good start, but it is simply not enough. That's why they need to do everything to keep the pick this year. Maybe Josh Jackson is that guy. Who knows...

Yep, pretty much the case. If our "core" is Russell, Randle, Ingram, Nance Jr, and perhaps Zubac, we'll definitely need more defensive-minded additions. Ideally, the player who could have been the perfect edition to this core is the Luol Deng of about five years ago.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

a lot of good points in both support and against the similarities, but I was looking more from 10,000 feet....we have some young talent from guys like Nance/Clarkson/Black to Randle/Zubac up to DLo and Ingram.....the cupboard is not empty, and all those guys will improve, develop, and learn to compliment each other more than they do today....and of course we will need to add talent and fill in gaps, but saying this young core could be a part of an elite contender in 3, 4, or 5 years is not crazy talk.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

You can't help but love this guy. Metta is an LA treasure.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

They also had Monte who at that time was a 25ppg scorer in a JC-on steroids mold if you will, taking a lot of pressure off Steph and Klay coming into the league.

Monte was one of those net negative guys overall but he drew the attention of the opposition and also the love of their fans, thats why their owner was booed to the moon when they moved him on an analytics decision to acquire Bogut and to free up more time for Steph.

26-56
36-46
23-43

They certainly weren't taylor made from the start...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

It's not a good comparison because it requires a lot of our players to make the kind of exponential improvement that you can't predict or depend on.

You have to pile what if on top of what if on top of what if on top of what if to envision us becoming them.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

I see us being the next OKC or Memphis.. then the Warriors.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: