The Lakers have torpedoed their daft pick, and the worst part is.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
farzadkavari wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
We may loose our draft pick, but now we know that the 22 year old Ennis can actually play well in Luke's system. He and Nwaba are like extra draft picks.

Some comments here make me laugh, We found out Ennis can be a 3rd string backup pg and that is worth losing on a franchise player for years to come. Nice!

There are no franchise players to lose out on.

I understand the desire for a pick cause it can give us trade flexibility.

The pick can help in many ways, that is why the FO has worked so hard to give the franchise an opportunity to get it back from Philly.

The results from the Nash trade are interesting, basically the first round pick that has conveyed resulted in the Suns getting Ennis, who is now a Laker. And the pick that hasn't conveyed resulted in Kendall Marshall and Brandon Knight. Those here who are so impressed with Suns management need to let that sink in.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lakers have torpedoed their daft pick, and the worst part is.....

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
...... I don't know what they could have done differently to stop it!

They traded their leading scorer
Sat all of the vets for the season
Played only the young guys, which is usually a recipe for losing and the
Rested the young guys if they had something as small as hang nail.

They did everything that you could do to lose games. You can't expect the players to tank. Jobs are on the line and players play. Now we just have to hope the basketball gods are gonna look out for us and we get some luck in the lottery. Losing our pick this year and 2019 is gonna really sting!

I agree. Fair statement, all of it.

Agree except for the part about losing our pick. This has not happened. We lost approx 8 percentage points. Not the end of the world, we still may very well keep our pick.

I was saying that if we lose the pick
This year, we also lose 2019 and that will be tough to swallow. I should have worded my statement differently.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
farzadkavari wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
We may loose our draft pick, but now we know that the 22 year old Ennis can actually play well in Luke's system. He and Nwaba are like extra draft picks.

Some comments here make me laugh, We found out Ennis can be a 3rd string backup pg and that is worth losing on a franchise player for years to come. Nice!

The pick can help in many ways, that is why the FO has worked so hard to give the franchise an opportunity to get it back from Philly.

The results from the Nash trade are interesting, basically the first round pick that has conveyed resulted in the Suns getting Ennis, who is now a Laker. And the pick that hasn't conveyed resulted in Kendall Marshall and Brandon Knight. Those here who are so impressed with Suns management need to let that sink in.

Count me as supremely un-impressed with the Suns mgmt. Way to go guys, 13 game losing streak and counting.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lakers have torpedoed their daft pick, and the worst part is.....

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

They did everything that you could do to lose games. You can't expect the players to tank. Jobs are on the line and players play. Now we just have to hope the basketball gods are gonna look out for us and we get some luck in the lottery. Losing our pick this year and 2019 is gonna really sting!

I agree. Fair statement, all of it.

Agree except for the part about losing our pick. This has not happened. We lost approx 8 percentage points. Not the end of the world, we still may very well keep our pick.

I was saying that if we lose the pick
This year, we also lose 2019 and that will be tough to swallow. I should have worded my statement differently.

No worries! Keep the faith man, we will get keep the pick!
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lakers have torpedoed their daft pick, and the worst part is.....

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

hoop heaven was always going to need to show the lakers a lot of favor to get that #1 pick anyway. we need that #1 pick so we have a choice of ball or fultz. not #2 or #3. so it was always going to be super luck. since no one is catching the nets.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
farzadkavari wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

thank you
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
lakerboy wrote:
the worst part ist that we are not playing the young guys..

#freeBI
#freeDLO

Ennis, Nwaba, Randle, Nance and Clarkson are getting run. They are actually playing good D. The future is bright.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Other than Fultz, I don't see anyone in the draft that will greatly improve the Lakers next season!

I don't think Ball is any upgrade over Russel or Clarkson, getting a good SF would be a big help, is that JJ or who?

That is why losing this year's pick is not a deal breaker in my book, as the Lakers will be just as bad next year (thanks Jimbo) and perhaps next year will have a super-star SG...
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Actually I think the Spurs were taking it easy on us and wanted to spoil our draft. In an important game the Spurs would have trampled them easily.

IDK, the Lakers held the Spur's starters to their season low for points at 14 in the first quarter.

These young guys are actually playing D. Ennis is part of it and had a role in our win against the Grizz who were really trying to win.

If it was a game 7 situation, you think we would have won against the Spurs?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Other than Fultz, I don't see anyone in the draft that will greatly improve the Lakers next season!

I don't think Ball is any upgrade over Russel or Clarkson, getting a good SF would be a big help, is that JJ or who?

That is why losing this year's pick is not a deal breaker in my book, as the Lakers will be just as bad next year (thanks Jimbo) and perhaps next year will have a super-star SG...

the prayer of getting someone who is a better player/fit in 2018 in now way begins to counter impact of losing our pick this year.
-it pushes our rebuild process back another year
-we lose our 2019 1st rounder
-who says we are even in bottom 3 contention next year? yes we will still be bad but we can be good enough to not have a good shot at picking up the top pick
-who says the top 3 of next years draft would be better than this year draft? no way to bank on that at this point
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

Similar to beginning of year. Teams don't take us serious. Which they shouldn't and we bite them. This is all about opponents
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

The ramifications of winning this year's draft lottery goes beyond just the draft picks involved. If they lose this year's pick, they keep all of next year's picks, but since they'll probably be tanking again, they'll end up losing on premier free agent talents like Paul George since I don't see him wasting his prime on one of the worst teams in the league. And then that snowball will spiral down the hill to 2019 when they suck again and still lose their first rounder from the Dwight Howard trade. So losing this year's first rounder could potentially set the franchise back at least 2 years in their rebuild plan. At that point, it's already too much of a losing culture.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
The ramifications of winning this year's draft lottery goes beyond just the draft picks involved. If they lose this year's pick, they keep all of next year's picks, but since they'll probably be tanking again, they'll end up losing on premier free agent talents like Paul George since I don't see him wasting his prime on one of the worst teams in the league. And then that snowball will spiral down the hill to 2019 when they suck again and still lose their first rounder from the Dwight Howard trade. So losing this year's first rounder could potentially set the franchise back at least 2 years in their rebuild plan. At that point, it's already too much of a losing culture.

This ^ 100000000000000000

Its not about 2018 pick vs 2017 pick. But also losing a very high 2019 pick and being a less attractive destination to FA
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Its not about 2018 pick vs 2017 pick. But also losing a very high 2019 pick and being a less attractive destination to FA

What makes you think that the 2019 pick will be very high? Or that getting this year's pick will entice Paul George while losing it would mean he won't sign here?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

the prayer of getting someone who is a better player/fit in 2018 in now way begins to counter impact of losing our pick this year.
-who says we are even in bottom 3 contention next year? yes we will still be bad but we can be good enough to not have a good shot at picking up the top pick
-who says the top 3 of next years draft would be better than this year draft? no way to bank on that at this point

If we get the #1 pick we keep it IMO, and if it's 2nd we might trade it but 3rd pick is when we might see a trade happening, cause the FO is in desire need of vet star talent and Jeannie has already spoken about the need of having a all star player next year.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

If we get the #1 pick we keep it IMO, and if it's 2nd we might trade it but 3rd pick is when we might see a trade happening, cause the FO is in desire need of vet star talent and Jeannie has already spoken about the need of having a all star player next year.

Jeanie needs to stop running her mouth because it anit helping.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Do you guys realize we traded away 3 first round draft picks for Nash and Howard and have so far only lost out on one of them?

The rebuild plan never accounted for a 2017 pick because it was traded. There's just a chance that we get to have it back in exchange for the 2018 pick.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
They aren't losing the pick.

Care to make a gentleman's wager on that?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
everyone wants to whine now because we are paying for the mistakes of our past, I hope they win out how many cry baby threads like this are there now ?

After the last 2 wins, it's moot anyway. That was it. Now it doesn't matter what they do in the last 4. PHX ain't winning 2 of 3 or all 3.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yong wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

What makes you think that the 2019 pick will be very high? Or that getting this year's pick will entice Paul George while losing it would mean he won't sign here?

Any first rounder in 2019 is potentially helpful. What makes him think it'll be very high is obviously because he doesn't see them being worldbeaters even by that point. That may be the case. I guess you expect the FO bumbling to be over now and thus, LA will be much improved. Either way, I don't want them to hand over a top 10 pick or a top 20 pick. It's a waste caused by sins of the fathers years ago.

We'll see what's what in about 6 weeks. We get bumped and it's going to break Jeanie's heart (hocks loogie and spits).
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

The lack of faith in the progress of the core guys and added paranoia isn't going to help come draft time, we are not going to fall out of a top 3 pick and the odds are still in our favor that we get our No. 1 prospect, sure it is a lot better feeling to get a guarantee but the sweat is actually the entertaining part not added doubt and paranoia that doesn't help anyone
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lakers have torpedoed their daft pick, and the worst part is.....

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

That's actually the best part. If it was meant to be, it would be.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Note to Laker Fans, No one will remember this...

You can tell me in five years from now when we are in contention that a few critical losses lead to us returning back to greatness and I will tell you that is really B.S., a few wins or losses doesn't make a great team, years and years of practice, sacrifice, teamwork and talented chemistry is what builds a champion, when were we in the cellar with 100 yr old wine with no reason to open the bottle?, I wont remember and neither will you, there is one constant to being a Laker fan, winning, and when we were winning we were winning in lavish style as only a darling sports franchise is used to, sure this is probably going to be a little hazy and misty, but so is a mystery and besides isn't it exciting knowing that we will win and not knowing exactly when and how? If you look around you can see the seeds being sown and it builds trust that those assigned to steering the ship are leading us in the right direction, when we get there, no one will remember what happened to get here, they'll just show up at ease that we are right where we are used to being...great
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1977 wrote:
The lack of faith in the progress of the core guys and added paranoia isn't going to help come draft time, we are not going to fall out of a top 3 pick and the odds are still in our favor that we get our No. 1 prospect, sure it is a lot better feeling to get a guarantee but the sweat is actually the entertaining part not added doubt and paranoia that doesn't help anyone

Lakers young core is garbage. Sacto has as much young talent. If you think this core is elite, I have an ocean to sell you in Kansas. This team just won a few games against teams mailing it in or banged up.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:

Lakers young core is garbage. Sacto has as much young talent. If you think this core is elite, I have an ocean to sell you in Kansas. This team just won a few games against teams mailing it in or banged up.

garbage? I know I'm biased but even simple bball IQ shows me that with the right player or two this group as built can contend in about 4-5 seasons, the real question is will the front office build on the current young roster or a some point in the near future rip it up, I think they will stay the course, the last team a unstable team needs is more unstability
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: