Lakers going forward
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Lakers going forward

This post covers several different topics, I didn't know which one specifically to put it in....so I'll start a new thread!

I have mixed feelings about our Lakers and several random thoughts:

1. Yeah, I would have liked to increased the odds by losing every game (and staying ahead of Phoenix). It seems the FO really tried...short of telling players to fumble around and kick the ball out of bounds....oh wait..lol

2. The Younguns are definitely showing growth. DLO is showing he should be a shooting guard, Brandon is showing he will be a force, Nance is shooting (and making) more shots from outside, Randle is making more threes, Zubac continued to score well. Even Clarkson looks like he is starting to pass more too.

3. The Lakers picked up some nice pieces: Nwaba's D, Ennis' all around play and nice shooting and even Brewer with his chicken with its head cut off energy.

4. Maybe the Lakers have the pieces they need already. BI and DLO are showing that they are legit Options 1a and 1b. Zubac can be option 2. Clarkson is always ready to score whenever he gets the ball. Maybe too many top draft picks makes for a bad mix? Take Minn for example. After all, there's only one ball.

5. I'm trying to stay positive with this Lottery Tanking business. Maybe that low first round pick is the key. Maybe they can get a really good role player to fill the voids...The Lakers need a really great outside shooter....either a guard, sF or stretch 4.....or a solid 2 way point guard.

6. I still get pretty frustrated watching Randle pass up a lot of good shots and drive into the heart of the defense. If he isn't smart enough to learn quicker I'm ok with trying to upgrade. But he is pretty much a double double machine and does offer some unique options. He is growing, just so slowly. I would like to see a breakout game where he makes like 3 or 4 three pointers. (Same with Nance)

7. I hope Clarkson can learn to shoot....how did he become such an awful outside shooter this season? His percentages seem ok because most of his makes are layups. I wouldn't mind an upgrade here....need a shooter...but maybe if Clarkson sticks with just mid range shots he can become an X factor with his drives to the basket.

8. I still would like keeping Nick Young. He's been the best shooter the Lakers have had for quite a while. I don't buy this Contract year stuff in his case. The years the coach has treated him respectfully, he has shot well.

9. Gotta get rid of these useless old guys taking up roster spaces. Moz, Deng, MWP. I might be ok with keeping Moz as he can teach Zu some things and give him help in practices. Metta should just be a coach. Deng, I'm so upset at....seems like he should have prepared himself in the offseason better so at least he could hit his outside shots.

10. Either Randle or Nance needs to distance themselves from the pack. If Randle can't play defense, maybe he should come off the bench. But Nance has to stop passing up easy shots.

11. So if the Lakers can get something good with the Houston pick and the youngsters take a big step forward this summer, I think they should be much better next year.

12. I'm wondering if Ball is kind of overrated. Wasn't Kendall Marshall supposed to be really great in college? Kind of like Evan Turner, Derrick Williams, Adam Morrison, etc...

13. The Lakers need a kick butt shooter...like a Klay Thompson. That guy on the Spurs Bertans (sp?) looked pretty great. Why do the Lakers never draft or sign great shooters? You'll say they don't play defense...but our current cast of brick layers don't all play such great defense either.

Sorry, I know, nothing said here that hasn't been said a hundred times before. But I think the youngsters are growing and the Lakers are making progress. I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Have a nice day everyone!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

I'm okay with getting Jayson Tatum or Josh Jackson with the 3rd pick... they are arguably as talented as the others in the draft.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I'm okay with getting Jayson Tatum or Josh Jackson with the 3rd pick... they are arguably as talented as the others in the draft.

I guess I'm preparing myself for losing the pick. The Lakers have been so lucky already. They didn't seem to value the pick enough so they probably don't deserve to keep it.

Phoenix wants the pick and they are willing to sacrifice for the extra ping pong balls.

And the way the Nets are winning lately the Lakers and Phoenix had a chance to be 1-2.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I guess I'm preparing myself for losing the pick. The Lakers have been so lucky already. They didn't seem to value the pick enough so they probably don't deserve to keep it.

Phoenix wants the pick and they are willing to sacrifice for the extra ping pong balls.

And the way the Nets are winning lately the Lakers and Phoenix had a chance to be 1-2.

46% is as significant as having a 56% chance.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram is going to turn into a superstar, DLO is going to turn into a top 20-25 player in this league and everything else is going to be gravy.

Don't worry guys, B-Sleepy is going to lead us to the promise land
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
Brandon Ingram is going to turn into a superstar, DLO is going to turn into a top 20-25 player in this league and everything else is going to be gravy.

Don't worry guys, B-Sleepy is going to lead us to the promise land

Agreed. It is Brandon's emergence that has given me a little peace about the Lakers future. They better not do anything stupid like trade him for PG or Cousins.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The Lakers value the pick but they have a more ethical approach to it. Hopefully karma helps us out. Phoenix, Phili etc just went about it dirty. It is the current system that rewards incompetence that is wrong and needs to be changed.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers going forward

Lakerpark wrote:
This post covers several different topics, I didn't know which one specifically to put it in....so I'll start a new thread!

I have mixed feelings about our Lakers and several random thoughts:

1. Yeah, I would have liked to increased the odds by losing every game (and staying ahead of Phoenix). It seems the FO really tried...short of telling players to fumble around and kick the ball out of bounds....oh wait..lol

2. The Younguns are definitely showing growth. DLO is showing he should be a shooting guard, Brandon is showing he will be a force, Nance is shooting (and making) more shots from outside, Randle is making more threes, Zubac continued to score well. Even Clarkson looks like he is starting to pass more too.

3. The Lakers picked up some nice pieces: Nwaba's D, Ennis' all around play and nice shooting and even Brewer with his chicken with its head cut off energy.

4. Maybe the Lakers have the pieces they need already. BI and DLO are showing that they are legit Options 1a and 1b. Zubac can be option 2. Clarkson is always ready to score whenever he gets the ball. Maybe too many top draft picks makes for a bad mix? Take Minn for example. After all, there's only one ball.

5. I'm trying to stay positive with this Lottery Tanking business. Maybe that low first round pick is the key. Maybe they can get a really good role player to fill the voids...The Lakers need a really great outside shooter....either a guard, sF or stretch 4.....or a solid 2 way point guard.

6. I still get pretty frustrated watching Randle pass up a lot of good shots and drive into the heart of the defense. If he isn't smart enough to learn quicker I'm ok with trying to upgrade. But he is pretty much a double double machine and does offer some unique options. He is growing, just so slowly. I would like to see a breakout game where he makes like 3 or 4 three pointers. (Same with Nance)

7. I hope Clarkson can learn to shoot....how did he become such an awful outside shooter this season? His percentages seem ok because most of his makes are layups. I wouldn't mind an upgrade here....need a shooter...but maybe if Clarkson sticks with just mid range shots he can become an X factor with his drives to the basket.

8. I still would like keeping Nick Young. He's been the best shooter the Lakers have had for quite a while. I don't buy this Contract year stuff in his case. The years the coach has treated him respectfully, he has shot well.

9. Gotta get rid of these useless old guys taking up roster spaces. Moz, Deng, MWP. I might be ok with keeping Moz as he can teach Zu some things and give him help in practices. Metta should just be a coach. Deng, I'm so upset at....seems like he should have prepared himself in the offseason better so at least he could hit his outside shots.

10. Either Randle or Nance needs to distance themselves from the pack. If Randle can't play defense, maybe he should come off the bench. But Nance has to stop passing up easy shots.

11. So if the Lakers can get something good with the Houston pick and the youngsters take a big step forward this summer, I think they should be much better next year.

12. I'm wondering if Ball is kind of overrated. Wasn't Kendall Marshall supposed to be really great in college? Kind of like Evan Turner, Derrick Williams, Adam Morrison, etc...

13. The Lakers need a kick butt shooter...like a Klay Thompson. That guy on the Spurs Bertans (sp?) looked pretty great. Why do the Lakers never draft or sign great shooters? You'll say they don't play defense...but our current cast of brick layers don't all play such great defense either.

Sorry, I know, nothing said here that hasn't been said a hundred times before. But I think the youngsters are growing and the Lakers are making progress. I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Have a nice day everyone!

Thanks OP! I agree with most, if not all of everything you've said. Thanks for taking the time to write that and have a nice day yourself!
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The Lakers value the pick but they have a more ethical approach to it. Hopefully karma helps us out. Phoenix, Phili etc just went about it dirty. It is the current system that rewards incompetence that is wrong and needs to be changed.

I consider the Spurs to be an honorable organization and even they tanked hard to get Tim Duncan. Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The Lakers playing to win games, might bring the league in helping them during... lottery draft... I can see Adam Silver helping the Lakers out.. it seems like he respects Magic and Pelinka.., they actually took a picture together when Magic and Pelinka were in New York.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The Lakers playing to win games, might bring the league in helping them during... lottery draft... I can see Adam Silver helping the Lakers out.. it seems like he respects Magic and Pelinka.., they actually took a picture together when Magic and Pelinka were in New York.

I know we all love a good conspiracy theory, but seriously, what could anyone, especially Silver do to make the ping pong balls bounce the Lakers way?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I know we all love a good conspiracy theory, but seriously, what could anyone, especially Silver do to make the ping pong balls bounce the Lakers way?

That is what makes it interesting to discuss, you think the NBA isn't paying attention to the teams who are tanking? The Lakers playing to win despite being in a position to get a pick should gain respect by the NBA peers.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

The most frustrating thing about this year's Lottery is the "All or Nothing" situation the Lakers are in. At least other teams will come out with something. The Lakers not only lose this years pick but that pick to Orlando also.

Man, Mitch and Jim Buss kind of do deserve to get fired for some of these stupid deals they did. Downright gambling.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

And 36% is as significant as having a 46% chance.

Yes, that makes no sense.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

It does make sense, because people think it's apparentive, that we finish with the 2nd worse record at all costs...
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

It does make sense, because people think it's apparentive, that we finish with the 2nd worse record at all costs...

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying, but I think I would rather have a 56% chance of surviving an apocalypse than a 46% chance of surviving.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying, but I think I would rather have a 56% chance of surviving an apocalypse than a 46% chance of surviving.

Or maybe the positive people see things in all angles and would take any percentage considering that even teams with the worse records in NBA history didn't end up being top 2..
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
The most frustrating thing about this year's Lottery is the "All or Nothing" situation the Lakers are in. At least other teams will come out with something. The Lakers not only lose this years pick but that pick to Orlando also.

Man, Mitch and Jim Buss kind of do deserve to get fired for some of these stupid deals they did. Downright gambling.

Putting protections on picks is gambling?
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Putting protections on picks is gambling?

All I see is "All or nothing" coming around the corner. Would have been nice if the Steve Nash deal didn't bomb. Yeah, still seems like gambling to me. But I don't understand the details like you guys...

Last edited by Lakerpark on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

I'm excited about this team going into next season regardless of the outcome of the lottery/draft.
We have a lot of young talent that should take another step forward and that in itself is reason for optimism.
We have a new FO. Everything is setup for a fresh new start. Good times are ahead.

GO LAKERS!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
I'm excited about this team going into next season regardless of the outcome of the lottery/draft.
We have a lot of young talent that should take another step forward and that in itself is reason for optimism.
We have a new FO. Everything is setup for a fresh new start. Good times are ahead.

GO LAKERS!

Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

I also thing Lakers may have already had sufficient talents. I see Ingram and Russell to become 20 pig next season while Clarkson, Randle and Zubac are legit scorers for 15 ppg. Off the bench, Black and Nance are solid bigs while Brewer and Nwaba are athletic wings and Ennis looks like a very good floor general and could take 3s. Another top 3 pick is nice to have but may not have significant impact directly anytime soon.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think what he's trying to say is that some people seem to think that we automatically keep the pic if we come in second and automatically lose it if we come in third. The reality is the difference only changes are odds, and it doesn't change them as significantly as a lot of people might think it does. Whether we keep or lose the pic we'll have absolutely no idea if coming in third rather than second had any effect at all, so why worry about it.?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think what he's trying to say is that some people seem to think that we automatically keep the pic if we come in second and automatically lose it if we come in third. The reality is the difference only changes are odds, and it doesn't change them as significantly as a lot of people might think it does. Whether we keep or lose the pic we'll have absolutely no idea if coming in third rather than second had any effect at all, so why worry about it.?

Yep.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

IMO Ennis and Nwaba are like extra draft picks. Ennis is only 22, he has a lot of upside an potential in him and he seems to fit Luke's system very well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: