Lakers going forward
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
I'm excited about this team going into next season regardless of the outcome of the lottery/draft.
We have a lot of young talent that should take another step forward and that in itself is reason for optimism.
We have a new FO. Everything is setup for a fresh new start. Good times are ahead.

GO LAKERS!

GO LAKERS!!!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

Keeping a top 3 draft pick would be nice, but sometimes having too many high draft pick players doesn't work for a team. Look at the 90's Clippers, and more recently Minni and Philly. We have to pay the piper for our trades, either this year or next, so if we miss out this time, so be it.

Tanking is such a mixed bag anyway, some teams never do really recover from the culture of losing. Playing better our last 10 games gives the rookies a chance to feel better about the team and themselves. The key is going to be if Magic and Perlinka can take the raw ingredients and make the necessary changes to get us out of the bottom five. I wonder if we are going to need a season next year of tough love, getting rid of the poison pill contracts, damn the cost, and maybe willing to let a unproductive young player go if he can't shape up.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I'm okay with getting Jayson Tatum or Josh Jackson with the 3rd pick... they are arguably as talented as the others in the draft.

I guess I'm preparing myself for losing the pick. The Lakers have been so lucky already. They didn't seem to value the pick enough so they probably don't deserve to keep it.

Phoenix wants the pick and they are willing to sacrifice for the extra ping pong balls.

And the way the Nets are winning lately the Lakers and Phoenix had a chance to be 1-2.

46% is as significant as having a 56% chance.

Math isn't your favorite subject is it?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

I guess I have a different perspective on all of this which is why I don't feel the same sense of panic that others do.

I don't consider the 2017 pick and the 2019 pick ours to lose, rather, I consider them gone which they actually are. The 2017 pick is actually the 2015 pick we traded to Phoenix and the 2019 pick is actually the 2017 pick we traded to Orlando. They are gone and in the possession of their new rightful owners. Therefore, we cannot "lose" either draft pick since we gave them away already in exchange for players we have already utilized.

Now, there is a 100% chance we will not get the 2015 pick back. It's just a matter of when we officially hand the pick we agreed to give. It's a 47% chance that they will be allowed to spend the pick they have now, and if not, 100% chance they get to spend it next year.

There is a 47% chance Orlando will have to give the pick we already gave them back to us in 2019 in exchange for 2 second rounders.

So I look at it like buying a car. Imagine you agree to lease a car for $500/month, you get the car, and in 5 years, there is a 47% chance you will get a $15K check back. You're not losing the $15K if you dont get lucky, it's just a really nice bonus if you do.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

It's not the pick this year that bothers me. It's losing the orlandn pick also.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
It's not the pick this year that bothers me. It's losing the orlandn pick also.

Again, we csn't lose the Orlando pick. It was lost 5 years ago when we gave it to Orlando.

EDIT: Let me try to explain using the car buying analogy because I think there is a huge difference in the perception of what's going on.

You walk in to a car dealership. You say, I want that car. Dealer says ok, $30K for the car. You say, ok, but, you can't cash my check until 2 years after I buy this other thing I need from someone else, and, if I don't end up buying that thing I need from someone else within 4 years, the $30K check I gave you will turn in to $20K. Cool? And dealer agrees.

The fact we even have a chance to reduce what we agreed to pay for something we purchased 5 years ago by a significant margin is a BONUS, not a PENALTY.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

2 words. Dlo. Slim.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

Ingram improvement really made the end less sad. I think we survive even if we don't keep the pick. If we do lose the pick, I would try to add a starting young SG to the roster and dump mozgov (deng can still have value as a strech 4 if we trade away randle or nance)

I would like one of these trades go down:
1. Randle for G. Harris and M. Plumlee (can you combine a sign and trade deal with another player? probably not, but we can make them 2 separate trades..)

Russel / T. Ennis
G. Harris / Clarkson
Ingram / Brewer / Nwaba
Nance / Deng
Plumlee / Zubac / Black

2. Nance for Standley johnson

I think he can still grow, just that did not get enough playing time. Looks like he can grow in a good 2 way player.

3. Dump Mozgov and the 33 pick for an expiring. We could wait another year to see if we really have a playoff squad, or if a star player really wants to sign here, but his value will decrease even further (if that is even possible)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: