Lakers Assistant GM Glenn Carraro Resigns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Whoa. Dang. Hinkie time. Just kidding. But not.

i actually would love that. the guy is a geek in data analytics and sports science. would be good.

just make him work numbers and come up with deals like how he screwed kings

100%
Yeah as an assistant GM he'd be great. Not gonna happen but it'd be great.

Hinkie?!?! His record of draft picks is not very great IMO. I think our own draft guys are much better.

Simmons
Embiid
Nerlens
Saric

He traded MCW at peak value for our pick that could very well be #4 this year.

He traded garbage for Sacramento's 1st rounder next year and the right to swap picks with them this year.

He drafted Okafor which sucks, but the word is that ownership forced his hand there. That makes sense because that pick is the least like a Hinkie pick.

That's a pretty nice foundation to build on, plus they could be drafting at #1 AND #4 this year in their best case scenario.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

i actually would love that. the guy is a geek in data analytics and sports science. would be good.

100%

Outside of the bad PR you'd get, I don't understand why a team with a vacancy wouldnt consider Hinkie for the top job. His biggest sin was bring transparent about his intentions, which several other teams also shared. He put Philly in outstanding position.

Yeah, and is Philly's tanking any more blatant than what the Suns or Lakers are doing right now? I think Hinkie deserves some (or a lot of) blame for the way he marginalized players by treating them like assets, and his 20-page manifesto after he got fired was laughably out of touch. But he was a very good GM at the end of the day, and he has an expertise in things where I'm not sure the Lakers do.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

I would love it. He'd be an awesome asst GM if you had him in that capacity- just find opportunities to take advantage of bad FOs across the NBA at every possible turn.

Kings, Pels, Magic, Bulls on speed dial.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Hinkie?!?! His record of draft picks is not very great IMO. I think our own draft guys are much better.

VP, GM makes the draft call, not assistant GM.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Outside of the bad PR you'd get, I don't understand why a team with a vacancy wouldnt consider Hinkie for the top job. His biggest sin was bring transparent about his intentions, which several other teams also shared. He put Philly in outstanding position.

Yeah, and is Philly's tanking any more blatant than what the Suns or Lakers are doing right now? I think Hinkie deserves some (or a lot of) blame for the way he marginalized players by treating them like assets, and his 20-page manifesto after he got fired was laughably out of touch. But he was a very good GM at the end of the day, and he has an expertise in things where I'm not sure the Lakers do.

Yeah the manifesto was silly but it also wasn't meant for public consumption. I also think people unfairly label him as the Tank guy. I dobt think Hinkie sees it as some kind of cure all or the right thing for every team to do. It was certainly the right thing for Philly to do.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Ryan West, he was already being groomed to be the GM after Mitch stepped down.

He's the guy we need to keep here long term in that FO, so assistant GM I'd love for him to get.

nope. other then his last name, please tell something he has achieved
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Simmons
Embiid
Nerlens
Saric

He traded garbage for Sacramento's 1st rounder next year and the right to swap picks with them this year.

He drafted Okafor which sucks, but the word is that ownership forced his hand there. That makes sense because that pick is the least like a Hinkie pick.

That's a pretty nice foundation to build on, plus they could be drafting at #1 AND #4 this year in their best case scenario.

Good points but IMO it is easy to get the top picks in the ballpark. The genius is in getting value out of the late first and second rounds like the Lakers routinely do.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Great. Now they can hire me.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Great. Now they can hire me.

sorry overqualified
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
ocho wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Simmons
Embiid
Nerlens
Saric

Good points but IMO it is easy to get the top picks in the ballpark. The genius is in getting value out of the late first and second rounds like the Lakers routinely do.

I'd say that Saric was a good pick. I agree with you though, the Lakers' drafting has been more impressive. In this hypothetical, Hinkie isn't the one in charge of scouting though so it's moot.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Yeah the manifesto was silly but it also wasn't meant for public consumption. I also think people unfairly label him as the Tank guy. I dobt think Hinkie sees it as some kind of cure all or the right thing for every team to do. It was certainly the right thing for Philly to do.

He was hired to tank. I think he was ruthlessly gifted at exploiting bad front offices, but we'll unfortunately never know how he would have built a post-tank Sixers.

Also, the narrative that he wasn't responsible for the Okafor pick comes across as post-hoc hagiography to me. The Philly owner had been hands off through most of the process (really up until Silver intervened), and it strains credulity that Hinkie was suddenly c-blocked on taking Porzingis after the Lakers surprised a lot of folks around the league by drafting Russell 2nd. The simpler answer is that Hinkie drafted Okafor with a mind to flip him and Josh Harris cut him off at the knees in November 2015 before Hinkie could do so by bringing in Colangelo.*

* btw, I love Silver reportedly having a chat with Harris about the optics of the Sixers process, but doesn't give a crap about a nepotistic management coup.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Simmons
Embiid
Nerlens
Saric

A foundation of bad knees.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Simmons
Embiid
Nerlens
Saric

The MCW deal was inspired as was the Sacramento deal. But continuing to select high risk draft picks (often injured) while intentionally bottoming out for an extended period hasn't been proven to be a prudent strategy. If anything it created the need to fire Hinkie because he alienated players and agents and made a mockery of the owners' system to protect small markets. Running a team like a hedge fund manager, gaming the system, breaks the covenant the NBA joint venture holds as a truth.

Frankly the league should have stepped in far sooner. I doubt that blatant a strategy will be tolerated again.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

We are still waiting for the first team to tank for several years to reach the Finals. It isn't a proven strategy at all.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Simmons
Embiid
Nerlens
Saric

The MCW deal was inspired as was the Sacramento deal. But continuing to select high risk draft picks (often injured) while intentionally bottoming out for an extended period hasn't been proven to be a prudent strategy. If anything it created the need to fire Hinkie because he alienated players and agents and made a mockery of the owners' system to protect small markets. Running a team like a hedge fund manager, gaming the system, breaks the covenant the NBA joint venture holds as a truth.

Frankly the league should have stepped in far sooner. I doubt that blatant a strategy will be tolerated again.

They should have stepped in to stop what, exactly? From not signing the superstar that Philly has a rich history of getting? Philly could continue down the path of middling FAs and low end All Stars that would solidify their mediocrity or they could bottom out and go for a home run. The result has been multiple stud assets including a couple potential franchise guys and more on the way. Were they better off with Jrue Holiday and Thad Young?

If the league wants to stop incentivizing losing they should figure out a way to reconfigure their system. Until then it's just a bunch of faux hand wringing. Did they really think after gifting the best young players to the worst teams every year that some teams werent going to game the system? I'm all for lottery reform, but for now these are the rules. Smart teams who can't get out of the middle are wise to take advantage.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We are still waiting for the first team to tank for several years to reach the Finals. It isn't a proven strategy at all.

When the then sonics traded ray Allen that was the start of a tank process that ended up getting the thunder darn close to the title.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

When the then sonics traded ray Allen that was the start of a tank process that ended up getting the thunder darn close to the title.

Spurs and Tim Duncan.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Hinkie as the 2nd-in-command is fine to me. I don't think he was bad at drafting either, besides the swing-and-a-miss on Okafor. But regardless, the point would be more in a support capacity.

...which he won't want to do, so it's kind of a moot point anyways.

well at the time Okafor was pretty much a consensus top 3 pick and one many thought shoulda been #2 overall. I cant blame him for drafting him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
tox wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Hinkie as the 2nd-in-command is fine to me. I don't think he was bad at drafting either, besides the swing-and-a-miss on Okafor. But regardless, the point would be more in a support capacity.

...which he won't want to do, so it's kind of a moot point anyways.

well at the time Okafor was pretty much a consensus top 3 pick and one many thought shoulda been #2 overall. I cant blame him for drafting him.

I do. The Lakers didn't even have him in their Top-3. They had Towns at #1 and Russell/ Porzingis at 2a/2b. And they were right. So I'll blame Philly for taking him at #3.

Last edited by tox on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

100%

Simmons
Embiid
Nerlens
Saric

The sad thing is that the current system necessitates those things and everyone knows it, but everyone in the league wants to put on this facade and just pretend otherwise. It's only publicly rebuked once it becomes public knowledge. It's almost like the players themselves who cheat on their wives with different women in every city, but still want to believe they're faithful husbands or something. As long as the current system remains in place, this clownish mockery will continue amongst the bottom-dwellers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
MJST wrote:

He's the guy we need to keep here long term in that FO, so assistant GM I'd love for him to get.

Yeah, but you're missing one key element: the people who were grooming him got fired.

That's a good point. Wouldn't surprise me to see Ryan take a job with the Kings.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Spurs and Tim Duncan.

Not quite the same predicament as the Sixers. The Spurs had injured veterans in Robinson, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson.. all ready to support the once in a life time player in Duncan.

There was no 3 to 5 years "process." They landed the real deal right away. So there is timing and luck to be part of a draft where a "once in a generation" player is available.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Spurs and Tim Duncan.

Not quite the same predicament as the Sixers. The Spurs had injured veterans in Robinson, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson.. all ready to support the once in a life time player in Duncan.

There was no 3 to 5 years "process." They landed the real deal right away. So there is timing and luck to be part of a draft where a "once in a generation" player is available.

Agree with your points about the length of the tank, but they did tank and did win a title because of it.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Seattle/OKC tore down the roster by trading away the vets to stockpile draft picks and increase the value of their own picks by putting a bad team on the court. That's mostly what the Sixers did, except they didn't go as far s Hinkie did in selecting injured players who would miss an entire season in back to back years.

You can call it rebuilding or you can call it tanking, but accumulating young talent via the draft can be a viable path to title contention, as it was for OKC.

Or at least you can build a team's foundation up to a point where the roster attracts a superstar. ('90's Lakers, more recently, the Cavs). The Lakers didn't outright tank, but they got better via the draft and a few key trades before they were appealing enough to attract Shaq as a FA.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yeah, but you're missing one key element: the people who were grooming him got fired.

That's a good point. Wouldn't surprise me to see Ryan take a job with the Kings.

Why would he do that? He has a good relationship with Rob Pelinka. I'm sure he'll continue to have a strong presence within the FO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: