Lakers Assistant GM Glenn Carraro Resigns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/01/31/sachin-gupta-trades-sam-hinkie/

Sachin Gupta would fill a lot of gaps in this FO.

Gupta is probably more attainable as an Assistant GM. I'd be all aboard that.

Not to mention less baggage and he was characterized as the "driving force" behind the Sixers' pillaging of the Kings.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We are still waiting for the first team to tank for several years to reach the Finals. It isn't a proven strategy at all.

When the then sonics traded ray Allen that was the start of a tank process that ended up getting the thunder darn close to the title.

Spurs and Tim Duncan.

Not quite the same predicament as the Sixers. The Spurs had injured veterans in Robinson, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson.. all ready to support the once in a life time player in Duncan.

There was no 3 to 5 years "process." They landed the real deal right away. So there is timing and luck to be part of a draft where a "once in a generation" player is available.

Agree with your points about the length of the tank, but they did tank and did win a title because of it.

I think that's only half true. It was not a culture of tanking. They already had a really good team, and were lucky to get an all-time great in Duncan. That's very different from starting from the basement

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Too bad he doesn't seem to be the Lakers type.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

A Slow Cooker philosophy for a franchise in Microwave mode? Yeah, don't think so.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

A Slow Cooker philosophy for a franchise in Microwave mode? Yeah, don't think so.

You are right, I am very worried. I don't want to be the Knicks west.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Magic did say he wanted to hire an assistant GM a while back. Will be interesting to see who. I'm still laughing at Pelinka talking about jersey sales an analytic
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Magic did say he wanted to hire an assistant GM a while back. Will be interesting to see who. I'm still laughing at Pelinka talking about jersey sales an analytic

Entirely speculating, but Jerry West has been spotted at Staples center
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We are still waiting for the first team to tank for several years to reach the Finals. It isn't a proven strategy at all.

When the then sonics traded ray Allen that was the start of a tank process that ended up getting the thunder darn close to the title.

Spurs and Tim Duncan.

Not quite the same predicament as the Sixers. The Spurs had injured veterans in Robinson, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson.. all ready to support the once in a life time player in Duncan.

There was no 3 to 5 years "process." They landed the real deal right away. So there is timing and luck to be part of a draft where a "once in a generation" player is available.

Agree with your points about the length of the tank, but they did tank and did win a title because of it.

I think that's only half true. It was not a culture of tanking. They already had a really good team, and were lucky to get an all-time great in Duncan. That's very different from starting from the basement

No they straight up tanked for Tim Duncan, I remember reading an article on Pop that talked about the story.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Spurs and Tim Duncan.

No they straight up tanked for Tim Duncan, I remember reading an article on Pop that talked about the story.

They don't do it year after year for the sake of collecting assets. They had a convenient injury to David Robinson and decided to milk his injury that season. The Celtics still had more lottery balls. So, you're not tanking for Tim Duncan, you're tanking for better odds. Celtics had the best odds, Spurs kidnapped their leprechaun.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: