Four wins in a row for the first time since the 2014 season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Nice wins but it does not mean anything to me.

Next season is totally separate and different from this season.

These last few games only will give our young players more experience but does not mean anything because the competition is simply not good.

I dont know about you...but I actually enjoy it when the lakers win games. I like the smiles on the players faces.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Look at the player's demeanor during and after games since they began winning. Lots more smiles, much more laughter. And I haven't questioned their effort once during the streak. What we were seeing was the toll that tanking was taking on them. It isn't good for player development.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
Establishing a winning culture ? I understand that change is a process, that four games in a row is tasty, and that 6-4 in the L10 is sweeter than finishing 2-8.

But it remains a legitimate question as to whether the Lakers are sniffing their way towards a winning culture or not. Resist myopia.

Going 26-55 ? We were here three years ago and that remains my perspective. Medically, the Laker patient isn't dead but he's still on the OR table.

I watch for longer term changes. I'm patient, optimistic, but my eyes are open.

The one positive is that they're 26-55 with young players who will probably get better rather than an aging roster waiting to hit rock bottom.

Well, the "probably" part of that view is shaky.

The number of clubs who haven't turned around their cellar-dweller status over the past five years - with a handful of top draft picks - stands as fair warning to those who own much surety for a real turnaround.

That's garbage if you think the young core isn't going to get better. Our three lottery picks are 19, 21, and 22. How on Earth do you think they aren't going to get better?

Well, let's see.

Milwaukee, Minnesota and Philly are the centerpiece clubs for support of my view. They are loaded with top draft picks, each of whom may be getting better individually, and yet for any number of team-specific reasons still comprise the core of some pretty humdrum teams and for several years. From that, I resist saying any club will probably get better with a heap of young players; we just don't see that happening enough to support it. It's possible to get better sure, but it may be just as likely to see the team flounder for years, continuously.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
tox wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

The one positive is that they're 26-55 with young players who will probably get better rather than an aging roster waiting to hit rock bottom.

The number of clubs who haven't turned around their cellar-dweller status over the past five years - with a handful of top draft picks - stands as fair warning to those who own much surety for a real turnaround.

That's garbage if you think the young core isn't going to get better. Our three lottery picks are 19, 21, and 22. How on Earth do you think they aren't going to get better?

Well, let's see.

Milwaukee, Minnesota and Philly are the centerpiece clubs for support of my view. They are loaded with top draft picks, each of whom may be getting better individually, and yet for any number of team-specific reasons still comprise the core of some pretty humdrum teams and for several years. From that, I resist saying any club will probably get better with a heap of young players; we just don't see that happening enough to support it. It's possible to get better sure, but it may be just as likely to see the team flounder for years, continuously.

Yeah, that's very reasonable. I don't think I understood your first post correctly. Sorry if I came across as harsh. I would argue that's a slightly reductive take*, but I see what you're saying.

*To be more precise, I'd argue the Sixers, despite Embiid's injury, are trending up and that the Bucks only look like they plateaued because of Middleton's injury. But the Wolves are a good example of the point you're making.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
tox wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
Establishing a winning culture ? I understand that change is a process, that four games in a row is tasty, and that 6-4 in the L10 is sweeter than finishing 2-8.

But it remains a legitimate question as to whether the Lakers are sniffing their way towards a winning culture or not. Resist myopia.

Going 26-55 ? We were here three years ago and that remains my perspective. Medically, the Laker patient isn't dead but he's still on the OR table.

I watch for longer term changes. I'm patient, optimistic, but my eyes are open.

Well, let's see.

Milwaukee had to deal with Parker's injury x 2.

Sixers have a boatload of injuries.

T-Wolves didn't improve much, Wiggins and Thibs are both overrated tbh.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Look at the player's demeanor during and after games since they began winning. Lots more smiles, much more laughter. And I haven't questioned their effort once during the streak. What we were seeing was the toll that tanking was taking on them. It isn't good for player development.

If we didn't tank and lose so many games in March our record would be more better then it is now.. I agree with you it looks the team got the green light to start trying instead of worrying about the fan and media blacklash.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

People are underestimating those wins. The fact that we didn't have a 5-game winning streak for almost FIVE YEARS says a lot about it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
that's not what we were seeing. they never tried to tank.

they were losing because they got injured after the solid start. mwp said exactly what i've said here regarding why the winning at the end of the season was not a fluke. it was legit. just like the early winning was legit. it takes time to get that chemistry. the younger you are the less mistakes you can make and get away with it. because you dont know what else to do that could erase those previous errors. The margin for error is super slim for a team as young as the lakers. well then the margin just went out the door the moment guys start getting hurt back to back to back. where you had too many mixed lineups, to little chemistry.

Then you get rid of your best scorer in lou will. of course you will lose games now. the only reason you were in some of those games was because lou was putting the numbers up. now you have to find out how are you guys going to produce lou's numbers without lou being their. The answer was two fold, #1 let Dlo be a SG, #2 hope ingram gets super aggressive. both of those things happened towards the end of the season and it worked.

Putting JC at PG even though Dlo is a better PG than JC...It forces JC to pass more often. WHich means he can't be one dimensional like he was coming off the bench.

Putting DLo at the SG spot makes dlo more aggressive with his scoring but you dont lose his passing. The beauty of that line up over a Lou will lineup is that those guys pass to each other and the other guys more often than a Lou will, Nick young lineup.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
tox wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Well, let's see.

Yeah, that's very reasonable. I don't think I understood your first post correctly. Sorry if I came across as harsh. I would argue that's a slightly reductive take*, but I see what you're saying.

*To be more precise, I'd argue the Sixers, despite Embiid's injury, are trending up and that the Bucks only look like they plateaued because of Middleton's injury. But the Wolves are a good example of the point you're making.

Yes, health, coaching turnover and front office problems were significant factors for those clubs, big enough issues perhaps to have offset possible growth in player skills, chemistry.

The Lakers have been feeling some of those same effects. I hope that we're about to see the franchise crawling out of the woods in terms of finding something worthy in coaching chairs, management image, and ownership vision. Can lead to stability, but I don't feel confident about Laker fortunes right now. I am optimistic for the team's chances to improve, though it's an unaccustomed pair of rather contradictory feelings. Uneasiness kinda but hopeful, fingers crossed.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: