Four wins in a row for the first time since the 2014 season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
The kids playing hard on both ends, having longer spells of ball sharing and off-ball movement while learning to close has been the best part of this season since there surprising start. DLo's game winner to cap one of the more tragic days of his life was rewarding in a way that means more than just a routine W. That kid has been through a lot. This team has been through a lot. Perhaps they are turning the corner in some of the less spectacular but still game changing ways. I'll take that in exchange for a 9% drop in lottery chances.

This is where my mind is at too. Seeing Randle set an occasional pick where he wasn't before, or finding a cutting Russell under the basket for a certain score in a half-court set where I expected him to show tunnel vision, seeing Clarkson sharing the ball and still remain dangerous if he has a lane to the hoop, watching Ingram's confidence grow along with his shooting percentage, seeing DLO communicate a little better with the bigs on whether or not to ice the ball handler on defense, seeing Nance and Randle start taking, and making, outside shots, seeing guys who are labeled scrubs and fillers like Ennis, Butler, Nwaba showing they have every intention of pounding it out on the bb floor, seeing the whole squad starting to get better at dealing with roster changes without letting their own fundamentals slip.

If we're ever going to attract quality free agents, the Lakers need lots of less spectacular yet game changing improvements like these, and start making a habit out of winning games, no matter who's playing or injured, or who the coach decides to play or sit. I agree, I'll take that over the 9% shift in odds.
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Easy to get carried away by a winning streak when opponents have nothing to play for. Even if we assume opponents are still playing hard in April and the Lakers really won fair and square, the question then is why didn't these Lakers win earlier? Did players suck until April, and then suddenly become better? What's worse, did the team just started playing harder in April?

This is the worse time to be happy with a Lakers winning streak.

I agree. It's silly for players and fans to be puffing their chests out because of these late season meaningless victories against teams that aren't even trying to win. These wins are a loss for lottery odds. This is like a receiver celebrating a late touchdown catch against a lax defense when his team is being beaten 48-7. Or NFL coaches trying to save their jobs with meaningless wins at season's end after they've long ago been eliminated from the playoffs. It's bush league and idiotic.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

lakersgirl wrote:
ocho wrote:
Winning is so much more fun than losing.

KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Easy to get carried away by a winning streak when opponents have nothing to play for. Even if we assume opponents are still playing hard in April and the Lakers really won fair and square, the question then is why didn't these Lakers win earlier? Did players suck until April, and then suddenly become better? What's worse, did the team just started playing harder in April?

Because injuries played a role in our nose dive after the 10-10 start. We were already a young team with little margin for error, so injuries ruined us. Especially since Luke basically ran our lineups as two distinct units early on, so injuries throws that all out of whack. But teams, especially young teams, sometimes improve as the season goes on. And we've seen some improvement from guys individually and it's even beginning to translate on the defensive end.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

I agree. It's silly for players and fans to be puffing their chests out because of these late season meaningless victories against teams that aren't even trying to win. These wins are a loss for lottery odds. This is like a receiver celebrating a late touchdown catch against a lax defense when his team is being beaten 48-7. Or coaches trying to save their jobs with meaningless wins at season's end after they've long ago been eliminated from the playoffs. It's bush league and idiotic.

Bush league and idiotic is getting mad at Laker wins when the odds shift a measly 9%. And yeah, Towns and Wiggins weren't trying to win last night. SMH.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

I agree. It's silly for players and fans to be puffing their chests out because of these late season meaningless victories against teams that aren't even trying to win. These wins are a loss for lottery odds. This is like a receiver celebrating a late touchdown catch against a lax defense when his team is being beaten 48-7. Or NFL coaches trying to save their jobs with meaningless wins at season's end after they've long ago been eliminated from the playoffs. It's bush league and idiotic.

There's nothing "bush league" about playing hard til the whistle blows. Bush league is setting your team up to lose, which is what you seem to be advocating.

And to the poster you quoted, I'm not sure what's so shocking about a young team getting better later in the season. It's not that they sucked before, it's that they're so freakin' young that it takes time to figure things out and learn how to win. This is a GOOD thing. And judging by KAT's reaction to DLo's buzzer-beater last night, it sure looked like he was playing hard and wanted to win...
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Big Game James wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
Winning attitude and culture is important. Hope we end with 6 straight. Never understood a fan wishing his team to lose... maybe I'm old school in this regard.

More than likely it's because you don't understand the NBA lottery.

Yay lets get a few more ping pong balls as opposed to you know actually watching the team win.

because that is absolutely the most important thing
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

I agree. It's silly for players and fans to be puffing their chests out because of these late season meaningless victories against teams that aren't even trying to win. These wins are a loss for lottery odds. This is like a receiver celebrating a late touchdown catch against a lax defense when his team is being beaten 48-7. Or coaches trying to save their jobs with meaningless wins at season's end after they've long ago been eliminated from the playoffs. It's bush league and idiotic.

Bush league and idiotic is getting mad at Laker wins when the odds shift a measly 9%. And yeah, Towns and Wiggins weren't trying to win last night. SMH.

You beat me to it - bush league move by you
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

I think it's silly for people to act like these wins swing our chances from an 80% chance of keeping the pick to 20%. In the third spot, we have a 47% chance of keeping the pick. If we tied Phoenix, we'd have a 52% and if we finished second outright, it's 55%. So, the histrionics are over the top. And lastly, no one's chests are puffed out. But, you know, it's OK for people to be happy for their players to succeed. It's called being a fan. They're playing well and competing and showing improvement. And your idea that winning is "bush league" makes no sense.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

How much would you attribute our recent success to Larry starting ? I feel like he sets a great tone.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

You beat me to it - bush league move by you

KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
How much would you attribute our recent success to Larry starting ? I feel like he sets a great tone.

I'm surprised by how well Larry and Ju are playing together. Particularly on D. They were a disaster earlier this year.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:
ocho wrote:
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:

Indeed, that's why im not of the tought of some people that say that what's important is who finishes. That's bs cause if you finish when behind 20 as has been the case with us too often, it doesnt really matter.

Larry sets the tone and he's our intangibles guy, our draymond if you will
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
zePokar wrote:

I'm surprised by how well Larry and Ju are playing together. Particularly on D. They were a disaster earlier this year.

Seems communication is getting better, I hope that's something they're emphasizing. My understanding is Nance is pretty vocal. If Randle's improving that would be a big plus. In addition, on the other end of the floor, they're both actually making an attempt to stretch the floor lately with some outside shooting, and starting to hit shots now and then from mid range out. Earlier this season Nance repeatedly passed up open looks, and Randle was reluctant to shoot from outside as well. This makes a big difference in how much ground the defense has to cover and recover from, which is going to help all 5 players as they start diving deeper into the play book. I'm glad to see the willingness to keep the defense honest emerge for both of them. Incremental improvements add up.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Would you rather be winning 6 meaningless games now or have 6 straight winning seasons?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Would you rather be winning 6 meaningless games now or have 6 straight winning seasons?

Irrelevant question tbh.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:

i don't think it's a coincidence that we're starting to win more games when our best lineups get more minutes together. playing dlo and clarkson together and playing nance and randle together is something a lot of us have been dying to see for a long time and it's finally happening.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

i was really pissed about all the winning at first, but i've come to accept it.
they've gone through a lot of losing, so i don't blame them for trying to win. now, i am rooting for the guys to win
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

tanking this year isn't going to get you 6 straight winning seasons.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Would you rather have a false premise or a million dollars?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Lmao.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Lmao.

I swear that most of these pro-tank guys have become so zoned in on the idea of keeping the pick and just that alone, that they haven't stopped to think about what it actually entails, as far as improving the team's on-court play both in the short term and long term. 6 straight winning seasons, LMAO.

If you think that the current core sucks and we badly need another young prospect to bolster it, then we'll be fine either way since at worst, we're back in the lottery again next year with good odds and an unencumbered pick.

If you think that the current core is good and can win some more games next year, then at worst, we're entering 2018 free agency with a more attractive team, a potentially homesick PG13 up for grabs, and we still have that darn unencumbered pick which will still be at a solid position.

If you think Lonzo Ball is the savior of this franchise, then at worst, you're (bleep) out of luck, I suppose?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
The kids playing hard on both ends, having longer spells of ball sharing and off-ball movement while learning to close has been the best part of this season since there surprising start. DLo's game winner to cap one of the more tragic days of his life was rewarding in a way that means more than just a routine W. That kid has been through a lot. This team has been through a lot. Perhaps they are turning the corner in some of the less spectacular but still game changing ways. I'll take that in exchange for a 9% drop in lottery chances.

This is where my mind is at too. Seeing Randle set an occasional pick where he wasn't before, or finding a cutting Russell under the basket for a certain score in a half-court set where I expected him to show tunnel vision, seeing Clarkson sharing the ball and still remain dangerous if he has a lane to the hoop, watching Ingram's confidence grow along with his shooting percentage, seeing DLO communicate a little better with the bigs on whether or not to ice the ball handler on defense, seeing Nance and Randle start taking, and making, outside shots, seeing guys who are labeled scrubs and fillers like Ennis, Butler, Nwaba showing they have every intention of pounding it out on the bb floor, seeing the whole squad starting to get better at dealing with roster changes without letting their own fundamentals slip.

If we're ever going to attract quality free agents, the Lakers need lots of less spectacular yet game changing improvements like these, and start making a habit out of winning games, no matter who's playing or injured, or who the coach decides to play or sit. I agree, I'll take that over the 9% shift in odds.

As someone already stated, the best of both worlds is for the Lakers to win out and still keep their pick (which I honestly believe they will). And if they don't, well, there was never any guarantee they were going to be able to keep the previous two either but it luckily worked out for them. What you've pointed out is the stuff that has to happen in order for an attractive FA to even consider joining this young roster. Always great to add more young talent to develop or to trade but that is still a possibility. What was looking grim was the consistent effort by the team to improve in some very much needed areas as we are now seeing.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Do these six games guarantee that we won't have a pick or that we will have a winning season next season?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: