Inside the Lakers ownership war
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Inside the Lakers ownership war

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19104767/lakers-owner-jeanie-buss-shares-details-decision-family-franchise

great article by Ramona, glad Jeanie stepped in before these guys broke up our young core for Paul Milsap
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

What a mess that was.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

If true, this was exactly my concern with "the deadline".

'At the same time, Jim was making moves that Jesse interpreted as mortgaging the Lakers' future to save his job. In early January, he heard the Lakers had been discussing trades for veteran players -- like Atlanta's Paul Millsap -- that involved giving up several of the team's young players.'
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

Whoa.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

I am hoping that now the power struggle is over the team can move forward.

The last vestige of the Jim era are the Mozdeng contracts.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

He (Jim) had to take out second mortgages on a couple of the properties he purchased? He must have been doing some very risky or irresponsible moves to put himself in that position. Omg, I'm glad he's gone because that would affect his dealings with the team.

Loved the comment by Jeanie's lawyers "we had him by the gills"....guarantee when he communicated that to Jeanie he said "balls"
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
He (Jim) had to take out second mortgages on a couple of the properties he purchased? He must have been doing some very risky or irresponsible moves to put himself in that position. Omg, I'm glad he's gone because that would affect his dealings with the team.

Loved the comment by Jeanie's lawyers "we had him by the gills"....guarantee when he communicated that to Jeanie he said "balls"

Yup- just like he made short term 'win' now deals with Mozzy and Deng at the expense of our future. Gambling is a disease and an addiction. I makes you not think clearly about the future. All you think about is the next fix.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

The victors write history. Take what Ramona says with a pinch of salt.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

I'm glad it's over, but a few things I don't get.

1) Jeanie states she had no idea what was going on in regards to the basketball side of things. Yet, the narrative now is the final stone was Jim wanting to give away the young players for a quick fix. Isn't this a contradiction?

2) Why did none of these deals go down if they were looking out for themselves? Maybe the other teams declined our packages. Or is Jeanie saying she specifically put her foot down to stop them? But that directly contradicts the idea that she had no idea what was happening on the basketball side of things.

3) The Milsap stuff isn't new. The Lakers came up as one of the multiple teams that contacted the Hawks. That sounds like typical trade deadline buzz. The Lakers always seem to express interest.

4) So is this article implying the Lakers are fully committed to their current young core? I know a lot of people are afraid we'll be looking to deal our young pieces for a more established player. The article implies Jeanie was against that. Or maybe it has to be the right player.

Last edited by akk7 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

As I said, Jesse was the swing. He was Jim's heir apparent, but not kept in the highest loop, and he found a way to fix that, probably with some serious help from sis. Politics was always Jim's weak spot, and unfortunately for him, it is Jeanie's native gift. So now Jesse has a more prominent role (and likely leapfrogged logo junior), and in return, you get some dire warnings about him worried they were trying to dump the core for cousins, and now, Millsap. Propaganda 101.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

Millsap is an expiring contract. There would be no reason for him to re-up with LA. You really think Mitch would pull the trigger on that?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Millsap is an expiring contract. There would be no reason for him to re-up with LA. You really think Mitch would pull the trigger on that?

No, but just like they turned Mitch not being willing to trade Ingram for Cousins into, "but later, Jim was going to offer Ingram AND Russell!". Its beautiful work really, because they frame it that jimchak missed on cousins because they wouldn't step up while simultaneously they were willing to give the store.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
As I said, Jesse was the swing. He was Jim's heir apparent, but not kept in the highest loop, and he found a way to fix that, probably with some serious help from sis. Politics was always Jim's weak spot, and unfortunately for him, it is Jeanie's native gift. So now Jesse has a more prominent role (and likely leapfrogged logo junior), and in return, you get some dire warnings about him worried they were trying to dump the core for cousins, and now, Millsap. Propaganda 101.

Jim was also not a leader and a salesman. his job was to cast a vision and sell that vision. nor was he good in relationship building, not with Media, agents or the players.

he also didn't do any good with the Moz/Deng contracts. he should have said look we have all those young guys, we getting top 3 in next draft and also have cap space for 2 max contracts.

he didn't and is out now
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
Prophet8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:
If true, this was exactly my concern with "the deadline".

'At the same time, Jim was making moves that Jesse interpreted as mortgaging the Lakers' future to save his job. In early January, he heard the Lakers had been discussing trades for veteran players -- like Atlanta's Paul Millsap -- that involved giving up several of the team's young players.'

IDK man, it just seems like trashing the guys after they leave. To me, it doesn't make sense. You have this trade on the table for PM in January. It obviously didn't happen, but then you get that boogie deal and the FO still didn't pull the trigger and in terms of splash, the boogie deal was sexier and that didn't even happen. My gathering of indications and evidence through reports suggests that the Lakers take too long to do deals. In fact, they take forever to make a decision and then those deals are off the table. Either way, I'm glad the direction has changed and we seem to be in capable hands but I'm not down for trashing Jim saying he's doing this when his track record suggests the opposite.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
I'm glad it's over, but a few things I don't get.

1) Jeanie states she had no idea what was going on in regards to the basketball side of things. Yet, the narrative now is the final stone was Jim wanting to give away the young players for a quick fix. Isn't this a contradiction?

2) Why did none of these deals go down if they were looking out for themselves? Maybe the other teams declined our packages. Or is Jeanie saying she specifically put her foot down to stop them? But that directly contradicts the idea that she had no idea what was happening on the basketball side of things.

3) The Milsap stuff isn't new. The Lakers came up as one of the multiple teams that contacted the Hawks. That sounds like typical trade deadline buzz. The Lakers always seem to express interest.

4) So is this article implying the Lakers are fully committed to their current young core? I know a lot of people are afraid we'll be looking to deal our young pieces for a more established player. The article implies Jeanie was against that. Or maybe it has to be the right player.

You have to read all this in context, starting with Jeanie and Phil breaking up and Magic moving right in. Thus began the new plan, the Jeanie and Magic show. My gut says they were lining everything up for year's end, but with some plum guys available, there was some worry about Jim making a splashy move. Thus the need for Magic to step in visibly and find out what's what, put a damper on moves if necessary by giving Jeanie time to see and kill them.

My guess is they were scared of Paul George, but what spooked them was how cheap Cousins went (although, ironically, Jim passed on dumping youth for him), and the fact that magic was unable to get Intel. Add to that magic being magic and running around telling everyone he wanted Jim's job, and they decided to move at the deadline. Jesse got a huge power bump to switch sides, and is now the insider narrative.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

Jeanie getting Presidential about the former regime and their own Red Line.

Last edited by LakersRGolden on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Jim was also not a leader and a salesman. his job was to cast a vision and sell that vision. nor was he good in relationship building, not with Media, agents or the players.

he also didn't do any good with the Moz/Deng contracts. he should have said look we have all those young guys, we getting top 3 in next draft and also have cap space for 2 max contracts.

he didn't and is out now

Actually, you still don't understand what Jim's job was. His job was the strategy and the oversight of the operational side. Selling it was supposed to be Jeanie's job. But she wasn't going to do that because she didn't want him in his job.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:

More like a handful. So much re-writing history and unexplained questions. Jim may very well be the worst basketball executive in NBA history, but its hard to believe he is when the story keeps changing depending on the day.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Jeanie has presided over the worst 4 years ever for this franchise. People make up whatever conditions they want to excuse that, but the success of the Lakers has not been her primary focus. We have all taken a back seat from her.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

he didn't and is out now

Actually, you still don't understand what Jim's job was. His job was the strategy and the oversight of the operational side. Selling it was supposed to be Jeanie's job. But she wasn't going to do that because she didn't want him in his job.

let me rephrase it for you:
Jim's job was to cast a basketball vision and sell that basketball vision to not only his sister but to everybody. he didnt. he preferred to stay in his man cave with Mitch and not tell anybody.

what you are saying as a strategy is the same thing i am saying. I am calling it a vision while you are calling it a strategy.

Selling tickets and marketing is Jeanie's job.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

I am so glad this is over and don't feel the need to relitigate any of it. I will say that the stuff about what a dying Jerry Buss may or may not have said privately as a way of justifying a power grab is something I find extremely distasteful.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jeanie has presided over the worst 4 years ever for this franchise. People make up whatever conditions they want to excuse that, but the success of the Lakers has not been her primary focus. We have all taken a back seat from her.

nobody is buying that
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

he didn't and is out now

let me rephrase it for you:
Jim's job was to cast a basketball vision and sell that basketball vision to not only his sister but to everybody. he didnt. he preferred to stay in his man cave with Mitch and not tell anybody.

what you are saying as a strategy is the same thing i am saying. I am calling it a vision while you are calling it a strategy.

Selling tickets and marketing is Jeanie's job.

Incorrect, running the Lakers is Jeanie's job. She has been the one in charge since Dr Buss died.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: