Inside the Lakers ownership war
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Let me check the proposed thread rules.
Criticism of The current regime is out of bounds now because of race and gender sensitivities?
Being a mod precludes a person from having an opinion and expressing it?
Posters who for years have called the past regime morons and worse are now sensitive and are entitled to a pause in name calling?

Am I missing some of the new guidelines?

No guidelines from me. Just bemused observations.

I.e. the bolded. Is it a coincidence that anger boiled over with historically low win totals for a winning franchise? The reactions completely make sense if paying fans have to keep watching a losing product.

But I like the reverse victim approach here. This is not a witch hunt or ganging up on people with different opinions. Posters who were expressing opinions were insulted by a mod, point blank.

I'm trying to point out that insulting fellow posters is unacceptable no matter who it is. Again, idc about getting pulled into nonsensical arguments about the FO. Some need to just chill on here.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
tox wrote:

The thing with Jim & Mitch is that I had some doubts about them executing their plan, especially in free agency, but I never had doubts about their plan. For example, the MozDeng contracts are indefensible at their length and price, but the idea was right -- it's evidenced by the fact that our second best lineup had both of them in it. It's slightly ironic that they could have really used a Rob Pelinka type in their decision making, to handle the CBA type details.

The new Magic & Rob duo, on the other hand, is a total wildcard in terms of how disciplined they'll be in decision making. I certainly am hoping for the best, but I'm fearing the worst (mostly due to Magic).

So far, it seems like Magic is at least saying the right things publicly.. I'm nervous, but cautiously optimistic.

I really wish Mitch had been retained in some fashion just because I think he'd be a great level headed voice to have in the building. Though I totally understand that he was in a way tied at the hip to Jim, and given the level of vitriol that was apparently there, I get wanting to purge all things Jim.

Magic might be saying the right things publicly but I don't think that matters much. If only for the sake of negotiating Magic will not state that he's looking to trade the young core.

Agreed on Mitch. It was inevitable he got fired but I wish he hadn't.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Successfully running an NBA franchise. She took over when her father passed away and it has been a cluster ever since. As a Laker fan I hope that changes.

if she was really was running an NBA franchise, i hope jim/mitch kept her in the loop on all the decisions

She wasn't interested in being in the loop, that limits her accountability. Jim was her shield, but now she is in the open and I hope she has great success since I am a Laker fan. But so far she hasn't shown leadership qualities.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Criticism of The current regime is out of bounds now because of race and gender sensitivities?
Posters who for years have called the past regime morons and worse are now sensitive and are entitled to a pause in name calling?

I.e. the bolded. Is it a coincidence that anger boiled over with historically low win totals for a winning franchise? The reactions completely make sense if paying fans have to keep watching a losing product.

But I like the reverse victim approach here. This is not a witch hunt or ganging up on people with different opinions. Posters who were expressing opinions were insulted by a mod, point blank.

I'm trying to point out that insulting fellow posters is unacceptable no matter who it is. Again, idc about getting pulled into nonsensical arguments about the FO. Some need to just chill on here.

There is no reverse victim approach in my post. Pointing out the absurdity of "carefully coded words to hide the racial and misogynistic intentions" does not reverse anything.
I have no problem with anyone having their say in a forum. Even a mod. Do you?
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Successfully running an NBA franchise. She took over when her father passed away and it has been a cluster ever since. As a Laker fan I hope that changes.

if she was really was running an NBA franchise, i hope jim/mitch kept her in the loop on all the decisions

She wasn't interested in being in the loop, that limits her accountability. Jim was her shield, but now she is in the open and I hope she has great success since I am a Laker fan. But so far she hasn't shown leadership qualities.

we shall see
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
tox wrote:

The thing with Jim & Mitch is that I had some doubts about them executing their plan, especially in free agency, but I never had doubts about their plan. For example, the MozDeng contracts are indefensible at their length and price, but the idea was right -- it's evidenced by the fact that our second best lineup had both of them in it. It's slightly ironic that they could have really used a Rob Pelinka type in their decision making, to handle the CBA type details.

The new Magic & Rob duo, on the other hand, is a total wildcard in terms of how disciplined they'll be in decision making. I certainly am hoping for the best, but I'm fearing the worst (mostly due to Magic).

So far, it seems like Magic is at least saying the right things publicly.. I'm nervous, but cautiously optimistic.

I really wish Mitch had been retained in some fashion just because I think he'd be a great level headed voice to have in the building. Though I totally understand that he was in a way tied at the hip to Jim, and given the level of vitriol that was apparently there, I get wanting to purge all things Jim.

Magic might be saying the right things publicly but I don't think that matters much. If only for the sake of negotiating Magic will not state that he's looking to trade the young core.

Agreed on Mitch. It was inevitable he got fired but I wish he hadn't.

it starts with that. Jim Buss for god's sake, said a 30year old Lou Williams was part of the core
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Palin wrote:
Jim is gone fine. So Jeanie made the hirings of Magic/Pelinka right?

ok then what happens if Magic/Pelinka fails and we can't become a contender in 5 years? They are fired and Jeanie brings another people? Jeanie is not accountable? So Jim can get fired because he made wrong choices but Jeanie will be forever safe even she hires people that makes wrong choices?

NO man, Jeannie will be held accountable for this one. She is on the clock officially and she knows it.

People will always make excuses for her. Ding and MooMo will write up piece after piece torturously twisting facts to favor Jeanie
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

There is no reverse victim approach in my post. Pointing out the absurdity of "carefully coded words to hide the racial and misogynistic intentions" does not reverse anything.
I have no problem with anyone having their say in a forum. Even a mod. Do you?

I do when "their say" is constantly dismissing different opinions (which you were apparently championing in your post) and calling others mindless idiots
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

I know one thing for sure, Mitch/Jim would have bet it all going after Kevin Durant in free agency this summer and then turned to whatever scraps were left after Durant decided - several days later he was not coming here.

I don't know what Magic/Rob are going to do but I'm kinda tired of the Mitch/Jim, "swing for the fences and miss so let's punt this upcoming season" show.

Time to give somebody else a shot.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
I know one thing for sure, Mitch/Jim would have bet it all going after Kevin Durant in free agency this summer and then turned to whatever scraps were left after Durant decided - several days later he was not coming here.

I don't know what Magic/Rob are going to do but I'm kinda tired of the Mitch/Jim, "swing for the fences and miss so let's punt this upcoming season" show.

The irony, of course, is that they didn't actually do this at all in 2016, and that we would have been better off doing that. Then Deng and Mozgov would've been signed by other teams
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

D'angelo's name is spelled wrong in the piece.

I gave them a day to fix it, yet it still hasn't been fixed.

Therefore, I had to tell LG today.

The spelling error and the red bull tidbit.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

The irony, of course, is that they didn't actually do this at all in 2016, and that we would have been better off doing that. Then Deng and Mozgov would've been signed by other teams

interesting thing on that, I remember one of the reasons we went after Moz so hard was because of Brian Shaw's input, who I guess? thought Moz's hands were better than they actually are, to the point that we frantically outbid other teams to get him. Deng was also frantically offered an extra year over what anybody else was offering after we whiffed on Bazemore, who we didn't make much of an effort to keep when he was here in the first place.

so long, Mitch/Jim...
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

for posterity's sake

Zach Lowe of ESPN:

The Lakers badly overpaid for Deng; Washington had traction with Deng on a three-year deal worth $20 million less overall than L.A. ended up paying, and was stunned to learn of L.A.’s offer, according to several league sources.

Deng signed a four-year, $72 million contract with the Lakers ($18 million annually). So, that would’ve put the Wizards’ offer at three years, $52 million ($17,333,333 annually).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:

No, that's basically it. You also have misogynists in this thread insinuating other posters are misogynists without evidence.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You also have misogynists in this thread insinuating other posters are misogynists without evidence.

So you're saying we're on the internet.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
Wino wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
Always cracks me up how intense some people are in their views when it comes to Jim and Jeannie. I don't feel strongly either way but 4 lotto seasons in a row speaks for itself.

Comical that mans on here still swear Jimmy boy did no wrong

One of most fascinating things about LG is the depths his minions will go defend his honor. Even Faux News must shake their heads looking at how hard these spin artists work. Esp love the bit about "Jim's heir apparent"... MJ can have a heir apparent not Harold Minor. Jimmy is Paris Hilton with even less accomplishments. Lol. Jimmy must've contributed very handsomely to buy this level of loyalty from the same usual suspects here. Sean Spicer and Kellyanne is out in full force in this thread already. If nothing else they are entertaining.

Btw, not team jeanie here more team 'get the incompetent spoiled brat that failed at everything away from a successful franchise'. Dr Buss was awesome but nepotism blinded him when he handed this fool the keys 10-12 yrs ago. Utter and complete failure. Jimmy was the butt of jokes in agents / player circles and now we got Pelinka.

Good riddance Jimbo! (shout out to Chaz, horses that didnt win, tall jockeys, other bartenders / scouts)

That's cool, go with the easy red meat tossed out for the unthinking masses while calling others minions. It is telling that the folks who spend the most time on LG belkyaching about Jim and his "minions" tend to be the low information knee jerk cohort...

Unthinking masses? Wow. That's low for a mod to resort to name calling posters like this.

67ShelbyGT said what many posters on this site who don't get embroiled in the daily FO opinion battles on here see and think. Not sure his opinion deserved the response you gave here.

Maybe take a step back and breathe?

Agreed

Dont mind him much, guys. 24 has the ultimate license to kill at LG. Most posters get suspended/banned for 1/10th what he gets away with on regular basis. Its a good ol' boys network up there (with few exceptions) so dont waste your time trying to escalate.

What is ironic is how often 24 tosses around the phrase "low information" given how much he exposed himself to me in PMs on world history, POC relations, socioeconomic prejudices, etc. Lets just say all this pro-minority talk is nothing but a calculated facade (referencing The Wire, latest black culture terms, anti-Trump stance)... he makes John Rocker seem highly intelligent in race relations, colonial history... instead of The Wire character he shouldve changed his handle to John Rocker 2.0

You sir are a liar. You wanted to take me to task for not allowing you to use the term "cooning".
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

we shall see

Yes, I was willing to give Jim and Mitch a chance, same with Magic and Pelinka
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

ok then what happens if Magic/Pelinka fails and we can't become a contender in 5 years? They are fired and Jeanie brings another people? Jeanie is not accountable? So Jim can get fired because he made wrong choices but Jeanie will be forever safe even she hires people that makes wrong choices?

At the end of the day, how is this any different than any other owner? I mean, how long did we watch Sterling make profits despite putting a mediocre product out there? At the end of the day, she's the owner and the one writing the paychecks. Either the current regime (Buss/Magic/Pelinka) figures it out, or she fires everyone and starts from scratch again. That won't happen for a while though.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

Eh, I merely said Jeanie's red meat was meant to be consumed by the low information knee jerk cohort (that's what propaganda is for btw), and a bunch of people apparently self identified with that. And I said it in response to a post calling anyone who didn't buy in to the propaganda a minion of Jim. But hey, im the bad guy, because you want to rage at and about anything and anyone you like while being treated ever so gently, even second hand about opinion you agree with.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
for posterity's sake

Zach Lowe of ESPN:

The Lakers badly overpaid for Deng; Washington had traction with Deng on a three-year deal worth $20 million less overall than L.A. ended up paying, and was stunned to learn of L.A.’s offer, according to several league sources.

Deng signed a four-year, $72 million contract with the Lakers ($18 million annually). So, that would’ve put the Wizards’ offer at three years, $52 million ($17,333,333 annually).

That makes a lot of sense.... that extra year is the only reason he would pick to play with a lottery team versus with a playoff team.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
Palin wrote:

At the end of the day, how is this any different than any other owner? I mean, how long did we watch Sterling make profits despite putting a mediocre product out there? At the end of the day, she's the owner and the one writing the paychecks. Either the current regime (Buss/Magic/Pelinka) figures it out, or she fires everyone and starts from scratch again. That won't happen for a while though.

It just wasn't the same for Jim. His ownership stay rested on meeting a deadline. Hers is perpetual.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
You also have misogynists in this thread insinuating other posters are misogynists without evidence.

Lmao.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

Eh, I merely said Jeanie's red meat was meant to be consumed by the low information knee jerk cohort (that's what propaganda is for btw), and a bunch of people apparently self identified with that. And I said it in response to a post calling anyone who didn't buy in to the propaganda a minion of Jim. But hey, im the bad guy, because you want to rage at and about anything and anyone you like while being treated ever so gently, even second hand about opinion you agree with.

I think you're giving this article, and similar ones, way too much credit. Are they annoying? Sure. However, most on here had their opinions made about Jim & Mitch before this season began, many even years before. As for the "unthinking masses," all they see is that the Lakers are garbage and 4 lotto seasons. Does said propaganda change the results?

Also who am I raging against? And who do I like???! Reaaaach
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Fortunately and unfortunately.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

I think you're giving this article, and similar ones, way too much credit. Are they annoying? Sure. However, most on here had their opinions made about Jim & Mitch before this season began, many even years before. As for the "unthinking masses," all they see is that the Lakers are garbage and 4 lotto seasons. Does said propaganda change the results?

Also who am I raging against? And who do I like???! Reaaaach

Fair enough. I meant you in the general, but cool. I just think there's a huge double standard both factually and behaviorally from the anti Jim fan in general. I have a ton of people I know and respect who have reservations critiques and concerns about Jim, and there's no problem discussing them, because it isn't burn Jim, bring us Jeanie. Most people who have rational issues with Jim have them with jeanie too, and acknowledge her war against him. And again, I'm fine with people thinking that wealthy celebrities are brilliant because they are successful, but thatbdidnt going to make me believe it, not make me shut up about it. And that's a key piece of it. I'm getting hate for calling it like I see it because that's not fair to the people who only want to hear it how they see it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: