Our Young Core-Year in Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

Russell had a disappointing start to the season, though I think we can attribute some of that to his knee injury. But he's closed the season pretty strong. My concern with him coming into the league was his speed, but he's shown the ability to get off good looks despite it. I'm happy overall with his season, and he isn't afraid of the moment which is encouraging. He needs to improve his ability to get to the rim on the pick and roll, though that may be a difficult thing for him to improve due to his athletic deficiencies. He will probably be the first of the young core to become a 20 point per game scorer though.

Ingram was so passive early in the season, which makes his aggression driving to the basket down the stretch more impressive. While he may have had the weakest rookie season of the Lakers three recent lottery picks (unless you count Randle's 1 game rookie year), he had a strong second half and may be their best overall prospect. If he can get his jump shot on track this summer I expect a big leap from him next year.

Despite a lot of criticism, Randle had a solid year. His jumper, finishing, playmaking, screens and rolls, and defense were all improved to varying degrees. While he's probably our third best prospect at this point, I still like his upside as much as anyone on the roster. I want to see him work hard on that jumper and focus on defense this summer.

Clarkson had a somewhat disappointing season, primarily because he was too one dimensional and struggled with his jumper. This may be the player who he is, but that guy still has value. His role may be a younger Lou Williams for this team moving forward.

Nance continues to look like a solid outside the box pick. While he not be a shot blocker (he has the potential though), his ability to get steals as a big man, and his overall understanding of team defensive concepts make him a valuable role player. My biggest concern is health though. Can his body hold up?

Zubac showed a lot offensively. Needs to be more consistent on the glass and more willing to leave the paint when he gets put into a pick and roll. Considering his age and draft position though I'm pretty happy with what he gave us and is a likable kid.

Black was a mixed bag. I thought he was a very underrated role player early in the year, but he sputtered after being put in the starting lineup. With the Nance/Randle small ball lineup performing well down the stretch, and Mozgov and Zubac on the roster, someone has to go and Black is the most likely to be that guy. He plays hard though, I wouldn't mind keeping him around, but someone has to go.

I'm guessing someone gives T-Rob an above minimum contract next year based on his PER36 numbers and his effort. I'm not sure if the Lakers will be willing to do that considering the logjam at power forward. But I feel like his play earned him a better than minimum deal (from someone). You can't argue with the effort. He also showed the ability to drive the basketball and upped his offensive aggression as the season went on. Similar to Black, I wouldn't mind seeing T-Rob back, but someone has to go.

Nwaba was a good find. Solid defense, plays hard, electrifies the crowd with athletic plays. If he can improve his jumper he can be a very good role player.

Ennis probably earned himself a reasonable payday down the stretch. He was a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't mind seeing him back.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

Think the front office will do a big mistake by trading our young players for allstars who are not franchise players...
We should be patient another season !
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
Think the front office will do a big mistake by trading our young players for allstars who are not franchise players...
We should be patient another season !

Agreed, maybe this win streak will help make this a reality. It shows that these guys can win and it verifies improvement.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

For me, it's pretty clear :

D'Lo and BI, you don't trade them, unless it's for a sure franchise player, like Giannis, Davis or LeBron. Since they are not on the market, you don't trade them.
Randle, I could trade him, but only for the right player and at the same time get rid of Moz or Deng.
Nance and Zu, they are the kind of players that are great on teams who are contending, I'd love to keep them but at some point we'll have to trade some players if we want to contend again. Zubac, I'd like to see if he can improve defensively, because he could be a keeper : will he be a Marc Gasol or Enes Kanter ?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

Putting things in perspective:

New York, with Porky/Melo/Noah/Rose/Lee has won only 4 more games than us.

Minny with KAT/Wiggins/Lavine/Dunn/Rubio has won only 5 more games than us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

Looking to next season, I don't think it's unrealistic to see:

DLO: 18/5 rpg/6 apg
Ingram: 14/6/4 (inexplicably only averages about .5 blocks/steals a game)
Jules: 14/10/4
JC: 15/4/4
Zub: 11/6/1.5
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

I think Brandon Ingram and D'Angelo Russell are our two best prospects by a good margin. These two are the ones I hope we don't end up trading because they have some serious potential.

Ivica Zubac and Julius Randle have both shown plenty of reasons for us to be excited, however I think Randle is more of a 6th then being the 2nd or 3rd best player on a championship team.

I don't think Clarkson will be more then a bench scorer with good athleticism. David Nwaba is a great defender to have on your bench and Larry Nance is the perfect glue guy who can start or come off the bench.

This would be my personal rankings of our 5 best prospects:

1. Brandon Ingram
2. D'Angelo Russell
3. Ivica Zubac
4. Julius Randle
5. Larry Nance
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
I think Brandon Ingram and D'Angelo Russell are our two best prospects by a good margin. These two are the ones I hope we don't end up trading because they have some serious potential.

Ivica Zubac and Julius Randle have both shown plenty of reasons for us to be excited, however I think Randle is more of a 6th then being the 2nd or 3rd best player on a championship team.

I don't think Clarkson will be more then a bench scorer with good athleticism. David Nwaba is a great defender to have on your bench and Larry Nance is the perfect glue guy who can start or come off the bench.

This would be my personal rankings of our 5 best prospects:

1. Brandon Ingram
2. D'Angelo Russell
3. Ivica Zubac
4. Julius Randle
5. Larry Nance

I think the rankings are pretty fair. I might have Jules at #3 though b/c Zub will need some more time on the defensive end.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Many big men with Zub's size/girth have a problem with PnR and defending in space. Even if he leans up and gets stronger, it will be a fundamental problem. That's ok b/c we have interesting small ball options in Jules/Nance,.

I think Luke will use Zu like PJ used Bynum. Situationally. Maybe a "starter" in-name only. (unless he is the second-coming of MG, in which case, pencil him in for 32+ a night).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Many big men with Zub's size/girth have a problem with PnR and defending in space. Even if he leans up and gets stronger, it will be a fundamental problem. That's ok b/c we have interesting small ball options in Jules/Nance,.

I think Luke will use Zu like PJ used Bynum. Situationally. Maybe a "starter" in-name only. (unless he is the second-coming of MG, in which case, pencil him in for 32+ a night).

Yeah. I think Zub is a hard worker and smart player. That being said, MGasol is the exception not the norm for guys that big. I can see Zub being the 22-24mpg "starting" center with a small ball big man finishing games (i.e. Nance).
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think the team did a disservice to both Clarkson and Russell. While I agree that Russell has definite all-star potential, Russell plateaued a bit this season I think, in part, because of how he was handled and because we focused initially on winning rather than development. I don't think its a coincidence that the vets were shut down around the same time Magic/Pelinka came in. I also think they've played games with him and butted heads with him unnecessarily. Clarkson should have been at PG the whole season (as discussed below), with Russell at the off guard as well. I'm not sure that changes what is asked of Russell, but its clear Russell is better off when he has a score first rather than pass first mentality. In any case, Russell wasn't developed the way he should have been and, so, he didn't improve that much this season as a result.

As for Clarkson, I think he's been messed with too in the sense of the roles he's been asked to play. It's clear to me that, for no other reason than his and this team's development, he should have been a starter. Again, trying to win and creating a bench that revolved around Lou Williams, did nothing to help Clarkson or to help him learn how to run/play in an NBA system. He was made to look worse than he is because of the role he was asked to play. It's too bad. However, at least its been nice to see him growing over the last month since he was put in the starting lineup and asked to play what I think is his best position - PG.

I agree with Clarkson, but I disagree with Russell. I think the Lou Will bench wasted time and development for Clarkson in terms of making proper reads, as everything was simplified on the bench.

But Russell, playing with that starting lineup without any other creators, both put up some ridiculous stats (with that unit: 22-7-5 per 36, 57% TS% and 2.1 ATR) and got a huge boost in learning to actually run an offense.

To me, the problems with the roster mostly revolved around Lou and JC, who both were most effective outside of the proper sets Luke wanted to run. And really, I'd be open to the argument that JC only played that way due to Lou.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

Aside from above, I have to say that overall I'm really impressed with the strides Randle made. Sometimes I get caught up in where he is, and my frustrations with stuff like his offball defense. But I forget just how undercoached he was going into this season. When you think about his weaknesses going into the season, he's worked on them all:

1) Tunnel vision bully ball? Fixed
2) Shooting? Improved
3) Defense? Improved?
4) Screening? Improved
5) Finishing with his right? Improved

Sure, he has ways to go more, and there are legitimate gripes about his effort level. But all in all, these are the improvements you want to see him make. I'm excited to see how he looks next season.

Ingram has impressed me with his slashing ability. In my January article, I talked about how he didn't have the explosiveness of a Giannis, but I'm starting to hedge a little on that statement. Is suggesting he might get to 90% of Giannis in terms of athleticism sacrilege? But ultimately it's going to come down to his jumper. I fully agree with the Dirk comp as the route BI will have to take ultimately to become a true superstar on offense.

Nance is Nance, besides his 3 ball I don't think he has improved and I don't think he will. That's fine, he's a legit championship-level role player.

Zubac was also a pleasant surprise. Really good offensive feel. Good sense of shotblocking. His defense is terrible, but he's 19. Too early to say if he'll go the Gasol route or the Kanter route, to quote Yinoma.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah. I think Zub is a hard worker and smart player. That being said, MGasol is the exception not the norm for guys that big. I can see Zub being the 22-24mpg "starting" center with a small ball big man finishing games (i.e. Nance).

Zu morphing into Marc is the dream scenario, but I think the realistic middle ground he can shoot for is a better scoring version of Bogut (healthy Warriors' version), which would be amazing for the #32 pick. Bogut is huge and doesn't move well either, but he could protect the rim, and was generally a smart defender who know where to be and rotate (within his limited range) so as not to compromise the team defense. And his passing ability was big for their offense. Those are the things Zu needs to focus on.

(bleep) the Kanter comparisons, that dude never even tried to play defense. Zu at least has acknowledged (and the coaching staff has made this a point of emphasis for him, I believe) that he needs to improve his defensive awareness. Honestly, I see Kanter as his floor at this point.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Zu morphing into Marc is the dream scenario, but I think the realistic middle ground he can shoot for is a better scoring version of Bogut (healthy Warriors' version), which would be amazing for the #32 pick. Bogut is huge and doesn't move well either, but he could protect the rim, and was generally a smart defender who know where to be and rotate (within his limited range) so as not to compromise the team defense. And his passing ability was big for their offense. Those are the things Zu needs to focus on.

(bleep) the Kanter comparisons, that dude never even tried to play defense. Zu at least has acknowledged (and the coaching staff has made this a point of emphasis for him, I believe) that he needs to improve his defensive awareness. Honestly, I see Kanter as his floor at this point.

Bogut? You mean like one of the BEST NBA big man defenders?

The podcast I was listening to (can't remember which one) was using the Kanter comparison. Kanter is a good player, and to get that at #32 is a steal.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

The flip side is that Kanter is an elite rebounder and Zubac is absolutely garbage on the boards. His on/off rebounding splits are ghastly.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The podcast I was listening to (can't remember which one) was using the Kanter comparison. Kanter is a good player, and to get that at #32 is a steal.

Alright, I stand corrected

I never realized that Bogut was one of the best big man defenders of the last 20 years, which a quick search on Basketball Reference revealed to me...

But my point stands about the Kanter comparison. Maybe it's because I just never liked him as a player, that archetype in general, really. The efficient, low post scoring big man that gives away just as many points on D as he gets you on O. I won't accept that for Zu until he's 30 and there's absolutely no hope left for him on that end
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Alright, I stand corrected

I never realized that Bogut was one of the best big man defenders of the last 20 years, which a quick search on Basketball Reference revealed to me...

But my point stands about the Kanter comparison. Maybe it's because I just never liked him as a player, that archetype in general, really. The efficient, low post scoring big man that gives away just as many points on D as he gets you on O. I won't accept that for Zu until he's 30 and there's absolutely no hope left for him on that end

There's a reason Kanter is making $$$. He has serviceable skills that a playoff team like OKC value. It's not degrading at all but just serves to underscore Zub's need to improve his rebounding/defense. He's only 19 so he will naturally get better.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

The flip side is that Kanter is an elite rebounder and Zubac is absolutely garbage on the boards. His on/off rebounding splits are ghastly.

I think Zu's rebounding problems are easily fixed though - I really think in his past he was the biggest guy on the floor and didn't have to work for rebounds.
His problems are mostly 2 fold:
1. he stands with his knees locked & flatfooted most of the time on rebounds
2. he does not pursue rebounds at all. The ball will actually hit the floor 5 feet from Zu, with no one around, and he won't go get it

I just think no one has taught him how to actively rebound - again, he's so young & so big that when he was growing up he probably got rebounds just standing there. Which is what he does now.

Teach him to box out, get on the balls of his feet with his knees slightly bent so he can move quickly, and pursue rebounds - his #'s would go way up. Teaching him rebounding angle's isn't that hard either.

there isn't really much work there - it's not like fixing someone with a shotput jumper or something really broken like that.
Zu's not lazy - he actually works really hard during games.
someone just needs to show him how - and then yell at him every play until he starts doing it.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

^ I agree with you there... I just can't think of precedent of a very poor rebounder becoming a good one. But I definitely wouldn't rule out that it's possible.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
^ I agree with you there... I just can't think of precedent of a very poor rebounder becoming a good one. But I definitely wouldn't rule out that it's possible.

Yeah. Using MGasol as an example, he's a career 7.6 rpg. Never had a season above 10 rpg. I think if Jules/Zub are the future PF/C combo, Jules will grab a few rebounds from Zub b/c he's more aggressive and mobile.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Young Core-Year in Review

yinoma2001 wrote:
Ingram has shown me he has all star potential and is likely our highest valued player.

DLO has shown me similar all star potential, and is easily our 2nd highest valued player.

Jules has certainly (should be clear by now) wiped away any ridiculous fears that he's a bust. He may be on the near-all star trajectory.

JC is pretty much what I thought he'd be.

Nance showed his value on court as a smart defender. I worry about his durability going forward, but he's a big time keeper on this team.

Zubac has showed some flash in his offensive game. The concern remains about his defense (not necessarily rim protecting) in space and in PnR situations. Someone said that he may be going more towards an Enes Kanter (good offensive player, defensive struggle) trajectory, which is still quite a coup for a 32nd pick.

Nwaba is a good guy to keep. Love his life story and is a good reminder that the NBA is a daily grind and that each day should be cherished.

Ennis is an unrestricted FA and the Lakers are capped at 2.6m (due to CBA rules). So if a team offers him 3m, he's likely gone.

Black is likely gone unless we punt and keep his 6m deal.

It's been a really good year (especially post ASG) to evaluate these young players. We have at least 2 studs in the making (DLO/Ingram), a starting level player (Jules), 2 solid rotation players (JC, Nance) and a prospect (Zub). Things are looking well especially if we can add another top 3 pick this summer.

Go Lakers.

What do you mean Black is likely gone? He's under contract for next season, so it's more "unlikely" that he's gone.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Young Core-Year in Review

CaliRyderX wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ingram has shown me he has all star potential and is likely our highest valued player.

DLO has shown me similar all star potential, and is easily our 2nd highest valued player.

Jules has certainly (should be clear by now) wiped away any ridiculous fears that he's a bust. He may be on the near-all star trajectory.

Nance showed his value on court as a smart defender. I worry about his durability going forward, but he's a big time keeper on this team.

Zubac has showed some flash in his offensive game. The concern remains about his defense (not necessarily rim protecting) in space and in PnR situations. Someone said that he may be going more towards an Enes Kanter (good offensive player, defensive struggle) trajectory, which is still quite a coup for a 32nd pick.

Nwaba is a good guy to keep. Love his life story and is a good reminder that the NBA is a daily grind and that each day should be cherished.

Ennis is an unrestricted FA and the Lakers are capped at 2.6m (due to CBA rules). So if a team offers him 3m, he's likely gone.

It's been a really good year (especially post ASG) to evaluate these young players. We have at least 2 studs in the making (DLO/Ingram), a starting level player (Jules), 2 solid rotation players (JC, Nance) and a prospect (Zub). Things are looking well especially if we can add another top 3 pick this summer.

Go Lakers.

What do you mean Black is likely gone? He's under contract for next season, so it's more "unlikely" that he's gone.

Lakers can cut him by a date in July. It's a non-guaranteed 2nd year.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Young Core-Year in Review

yinoma2001 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Go Lakers.

Are you certain? I thought his contract was fully guaranteed? And why cut him, even if that's an option? He's a great back-up PF/C to have, and making peanuts, relative to the rest of the league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Young Core-Year in Review

CaliRyderX wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Go Lakers.

Are you certain? I thought his contract was fully guaranteed? And why cut him, even if that's an option? He's a great back-up PF/C to have, and making peanuts, relative to the rest of the league.

100% certain. It's a non-guaranteed deal. No cap hit.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Young Core-Year in Review

yinoma2001 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Go Lakers.

100% certain. It's a non-guaranteed deal. No cap hit.

Is there a difference between a non-guaranteed deal and a team option?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: