The Lakers are finally building a identity..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: The Lakers are finally building a identity..

Despite the argument about getting a top pick... We are finally seeing a culture and identity being built, the young core are improving game by game and we are starting to see winning once again... If it wasn't for the unfortunate melt downs and early injuries we could have been a 32-35 win team.. If we get a star talent via trade or FA.. We are headed towards better days... So don't be down on these wins.. cause it means something and that something is the team gaining valuable winning experience.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Bingo!
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Nwaba, Ennis and Brewer have really upped the defensive intensity of the 2nd unit. And Larry's energy is also very contagious. We're just much better with thoses guys than we were when we expected Lou to shoot us in games.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I think if you take this exact lineup and play them in January, we go worse than the 2-14 we went in December. There's something to be said about the fact that the season's dead and we're beating teams that don't care anymore. That's especially true for energy/ hustle guys like Brewer and Nwaba, where they take advantage of the end-of-season, Cancun-esque lethargy from opposing teams.

I'm not going to complain about lowering out lottery odds or anything like that, but this 4 game win streak is, to me, a mirage. I'm happier about incremental improvements like with BI's scoring game (he got doubled in the post!!), Russell's ability to get into the paint, Clarkson learning to play in Luke's actual offense instead of the simplified stuff they ran with Lou, LNJ and Randle shooting 3s, Randle apparently improving offball on defense, Zubac's overall strides, etc.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I think if you take this exact lineup and play them in January, we go worse than the 2-14 we went in December. There's something to be said about the fact that the season's dead and we're beating teams that don't care anymore. That's especially true for energy/ hustle guys like Brewer and Nwaba, where they take advantage of the end-of-season, Cancun-esque lethargy from opposing teams.

I'm not going to complain about lowering out lottery odds or anything like that, but this 4 game win streak is, to me, a mirage. I'm happier about incremental improvements like with BI's scoring game (he got doubled in the post!!), Russell's ability to get into the paint, Clarkson learning to play in Luke's actual offense instead of the simplified stuff they ran with Lou, LNJ and Randle shooting 3s, Randle apparently improving offball on defense, Zubac's overall strides, etc.

I hear you but the end of the year razor cuts both ways. There are guys on the bench of the Spurs and Twolves and Kings ect who are playing for their next contracts as well with all of the increased effort that entails. A win is a win in the NBA. It is not ever easy.
bigkobe81
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

If this was during the middle of the season I'd agree
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

THIS !!

people get carried away with "progress" when we are beating teams playing out the string. pop and memphis' coach couldn't have cared less about the games vs LAL. Lest we forget, the frontline of LAL made WCS look all NBA first team and made that Skai guy look like a legit prospect. Russell may have finally dropped a Gw FG but he also had 5 tos and continues to try and thread needles that simply aren't there. I love how people are giddy about Randle shooting 3s..you know who else is happy about that turn of events? The dude guarding him. The opposition would gladly have Randle shoot anything outside 6-7 ft. And Clarkson? Well sure he's improved IMO he had nowhere to go but up.
On may 16 when our pick goes to philly, hopefully all the "yes men" on here can dig up their dvr of D-los game winner vs min to get them through the summer
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
tox wrote:

THIS !!

people get carried away with "progress" when we are beating teams playing out the string. pop and memphis' coach couldn't have cared less about the games vs LAL. Lest we forget, the frontline of LAL made WCS look all NBA first team and made that Skai guy look like a legit prospect. Russell may have finally dropped a Gw FG but he also had 5 tos and continues to try and thread needles that simply aren't there. I love how people are giddy about Randle shooting 3s..you know who else is happy about that turn of events? The dude guarding him. The opposition would gladly have Randle shoot anything outside 6-7 ft. And Clarkson? Well sure he's improved IMO he had nowhere to go but up.
On may 16 when our pick goes to philly, hopefully all the "yes men" on here can dig up their dvr of D-los game winner vs min to get them through the summer

Sounds like you and your brethren are gonna be more depressed this summer in that scenario. I feel fine, whether we get the pick or not. There's plenty of other young talent on our team to root for, and I look forward to watching their continued development as a team. If we trade one or two of them for PG13, I'll be excited for that, too. Plus we still have free agency to get us through the summer, and an encumbered 2018 pick that we don't have to go too crazy over like the past 2 seasons. There are lots of other avenues for improvement, so pardon me if I won't be throwing a pity party just yet.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
tox wrote:

THIS !!

I agree with these.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

How do folks feel about Deng not attending games while on the inactive list? Not exactly proving to be too invested in the team culture, at least that's the optics of it. Unless he expects to be moved he's not building a shared experience with the team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
How do folks feel about Deng not attending games while on the inactive list? Not exactly proving to be too invested in the team culture, at least that's the optics of it. Unless he expects to be moved he's not building a shared experience with the team.

Didn't someone see Deng at the Lakers game a few games back? I don't think it's a reason for anything, there is a full summer and training camp to involve himself with the team..
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

bigkobe81 wrote:

It's hypocritical to go "I wish they'd come into their own sooner" in one breath and then in the next wish "could you suck a little longer please?"

Young players turning the corner and starting to come into their own doesn't give a [expletive] about what's "Convenient" when it happens you're happy it happens, cause it could always have not happened at all.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Nwaba, Ennis and Brewer have really upped the defensive intensity of the 2nd unit.

Just playing hard makes a lot of difference no matter how talented you are.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Didn't someone see Deng at the Lakers game a few games back? I don't think it's a reason for anything, there is a full summer and training camp to involve himself with the team..

no, I have seen chatter about how he has chose to basically not attend games and create distance from the team, while Mozgov has stayed close to the team. Its really just the truth coming to the surface in that Deng is a good man, but really never had a resume of being a leader or locker room guy.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
tox wrote:

THIS !!

Well that's not necessarily what I was getting at
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

no, I have seen chatter about how he has chose to basically not attend games and create distance from the team, while Mozgov has stayed close to the team. Its really just the truth coming to the surface in that Deng is a good man, but really never had a resume of being a leader or locker room guy.

Very disappointing if true.
bigkobe81
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
bigkobe81 wrote:

It's hypocritical to go "I wish they'd come into their own sooner" in one breath and then in the next wish "could you suck a little longer please?"

Young players turning the corner and starting to come into their own doesn't give a [expletive] about what's "Convenient" when it happens you're happy it happens, cause it could always have not happened at all.

All I said was that if it was mid season then I'd agree. These wins have been against teams resting players for the playoffs, etc if we were still competing for the playoffs then I'd agree. The core has looked great even in games that we've lost after the ASB
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

If he wants another chance of scenery hopefully we can make something happen, but I don't see Deng as the type that will create problems.. we will find out about his Lakers future on Wednesday hopefully..
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Team dumped offensive players for defensive players. Lou Will wins some on the offensive end, but is a total liability on defense. Nick Young as defensive stopper was fools gold. The team needs some work, but having players added that play defense is improving the team. They just need another year. Yes beating teams that have nothing to play for, but still winning. Team surprised early, then DLO got hurt, team went in a tailspin. Since the all star break you are seeing individual improvement, not team improvement so DLO, Randle, Ingram have all started putting it together night after night.

Patience people it is starting to come together Next year you should really see some movement. Even better if they can keep the pick.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Team dumped offensive players for defensive players. Lou Will wins some on the offensive end, but is a total liability on defense. Nick Young as defensive stopper was fools gold. The team needs some work, but having players added that play defense is improving the team. They just need another year. Yes beating teams that have nothing to play for, but still winning. Team surprised early, then DLO got hurt, team went in a tailspin. Since the all star break you are seeing individual improvement, not team improvement so DLO, Randle, Ingram have all started putting it together night after night.

Patience people it is starting to come together Next year you should really see some movement. Even better if they can keep the pick.

Yep... all we need is hopefully that veteran star talent to get us to the playoffs..
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

I aint buy that about teams not trying hard. if we played a bunch of teams that were sitting their main guys that would be one thing. but that has not been the case.

lets talk this past game. if you're saying the twolves were not trying hard, i have to laugh at that. You can't not try and have 2 players drop 40 points . one of those guys has a 40 20 game. thats right 21 rebounds and 40 points for some guy named KT. lol. if thats taking a night off I'm afraid to see what he does when he's serious. THink about that for a moment. you just beat a team that had 2 40 point scorers and one guy had a 40 20 game. your kid lakers won that game.

let me make it easier for you to grasp.
imagine if The thunder with westbrook and kd. and lets say rus goes for a triple double and KD drops 40. yet the lakers still win the game. thats how crazy that is for us to beat a team that has two guys who dropped 40 and one guy dropping 40 and 20. while another drops off 10 dimes.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
tox wrote:

I aint buy that about teams not trying hard. if we played a bunch of teams that were sitting their main guys that would be one thing. but that has not been the case.

lets talk this past game. if you're saying the twolves were not trying hard, i have to laugh at that. You can't not try and have 2 players drop 40 points . one of those guys has a 40 20 game. thats right 21 rebounds and 40 points for some guy named KT. lol. if thats taking a night off I'm afraid to see what he does when he's serious. THink about that for a moment. you just beat a team that had 2 40 point scorers and one guy had a 40 20 game. your kid lakers won that game.

let me make it easier for you to grasp.
imagine if The thunder with westbrook and kd. and lets say rus goes for a triple double and KD drops 40. yet the lakers still win the game. thats how crazy that is for us to beat a team that has two guys who dropped 40 and one guy dropping 40 and 20. while another drops off 10 dimes.

The Wolves game was definitely the most impressive of the bunch.

Anyways I think you are missing some nuance. It's true teams aren't just rolling over and dying. But it's also true that most of these teams don't have much to play for, and a lot of guys have checked out. Just because Wiggins and KAT brought their A game doesn't mean the rest of the roster is locked into playing defense, for example. That doesn't mean they aren't trying to win. But maybe they're only at 70% engagement.

My point about the lineups with Brewer and Nwaba is that they are successful partly because their energy level is way higher than opponents'. While they are naturally energetic players, that's amplified in the doldrums of the season when many players (though perhaps not KAT and Wiggins) are thinking about Cancun right now. And it's that amplification that I think is making them more successful. When their energy advantage is 20% instead of 70%, I suspect their effectiveness will plummet.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

This reminds me a lot of Tobias Harris. He'd always show flashes at the end of the season that made you believe he finally turned the corner. Then you realized the next season he's just like all those mediocre players that go nuts in March/April when 3/4 of the league has nothing to play for and then get hyped up by homers and fantasy players.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

We.Were.Tanking.

Now that we've secured top three and opposing teams know where they stand as far as playoffs go, is it any wonder we start playing better basketball?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
This reminds me a lot of Tobias Harris. He'd always show flashes at the end of the season that made you believe he finally turned the corner. Then you realized the next season he's just like all those mediocre players that go nuts in March/April when 3/4 of the league has nothing to play for and then get hyped up by homers and fantasy players.
you can't use that analogy for non of the lakers since you havent seen them not get better the next season. every single one of the kids are better today then they were last year this time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: