A Year Ago Today.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: A Year Ago Today.

Exactly one year ago today we all got to witness one of the most unbelievable and epic performances in the history of sports. A basketball legend was playing his final game in front of the home crowd. Kobe went out exactly how only he could. I still remember the nervous and anxious feeling I had because I just didn't know what to expect. I just wanted to Kobe go out playing well. I would've been thrilled with 25-30 points on not terrible shooting. We all saw how much Kobe struggled not just last season, but really after that terrible injury to the Achilles.

Kobe starts off really slow and then gets hot. He obviously was hoisting up a lot of shots, but appeared to be slowing down and getting fatigued. As expected from a guy in his 20th season. Somehow found a way to get himself going and got the Lakers back in the game. The atmosphere was incredible. It sounded just like it did during Game 7 of the 2010 Finals in the epic victory over the Celtics to win the championship. Still remember Kobe's struggles in that one and yet somehow someway the man found a way to get himself together, make some shots finally and capture that 5th NBA title. Much like then Kobe overcame fatigue, the pressure of having to perform like he had his entire career, and just had an incredible 4th quarter knocking down big shot after big shot. I was so happy for him that I burst into tears and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

That guy, #24 meant a lot to me over the years. I grew up watching the guy play basketball. He's the biggest reason I became a Lakers fan in the first place and fell in love with the game of basketball. Still remember being so depressed when Kobe's Achilles snapped because I knew it was the beginning of the end for him and it was unfortunately. Yet and still the fact that Kobe made it back and fought through all the struggles and multiple injuries and then went out the way he did I mean just makes me feel so fortunate to have witnessed such an incredible player and competitor in the prime of his career. Doing things on the basketball court that not many could do.

Kobe Bryant will always be my favorite player ever. Always be a guy that I'll just be glad and appreciate having been able to watch and become what he became. There were so many ups and downs for him. There was the whole mess with Shaq and then breaking up, then Phil leaving and coming back, Kobe having to play with a bunch of scrubs during some of his best years, then came the Pau trade and just when it seemed like he had everything he needed they got destroyed in that Finals against Boston and it was a rough series for him personally. People start saying he can't do it without Shaq. Really that had been the narrative for years, but only got louder after 2008. He responds by leading Team USA to Gold, wins back to back championships including as I mentioned earlier an incredible victory in a tightly contested Game 7. Erasing any doubt that he was one of the ten greatest ever. He fought off Father Time for a long time. Eventually it caught up to Kobe, but man was it impressive watching him even after losing a lot of his athleticism still be one of the game's great players. Testament to how hard he worked, the dedication to be in terrific game shape, continuing to evolve his skills, and just being what Kobe was about.

Miss watching Kobe play. I'm sure we all do, but I'm also really happy for him that he got to finish his career with a vintage Kobe performance and also more importantly find something he loves just like he did with basketball. This story telling and really making a profound impact when it comes to talking to people, think the guy is just a great motivator and really wants to help people out and be productive post basketball, reaching people you know and also staying involved with the game he's loved all his life.

Thank you Kobe. Always gonna be the baddest player in the world to me.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

I still have the game on my DVR...!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

The Black Mamba RULES!!!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Day: 365 Days After 24 Dropped 60
Quote:
A year has passed and it’s still hard to grasp that Kobe Bryant, at 37 years old dropped, 60 points in the final game of his illustrious NBA career.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2017/04/13/mamba-day-365-days-24-dropped-60/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Thinking about that Achilles injury truly breaks my heart, so many what ifs.. if he doesn't get that significant injury we are probably not missing our 4th straight playoffs
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Year Ago Today.

Lakers2015 wrote:
Exactly one year ago today we all got to witness one of the most unbelievable and epic performances in the history of sports. A basketball legend was playing his final game in front of the home crowd. Kobe went out exactly how only he could. I still remember the nervous and anxious feeling I had because I just didn't know what to expect. I just wanted to Kobe go out playing well. I would've been thrilled with 25-30 points on not terrible shooting. We all saw how much Kobe struggled not just last season, but really after that terrible injury to the Achilles.

Kobe starts off really slow and then gets hot. He obviously was hoisting up a lot of shots, but appeared to be slowing down and getting fatigued. As expected from a guy in his 20th season. Somehow found a way to get himself going and got the Lakers back in the game. The atmosphere was incredible. It sounded just like it did during Game 7 of the 2010 Finals in the epic victory over the Celtics to win the championship. Still remember Kobe's struggles in that one and yet somehow someway the man found a way to get himself together, make some shots finally and capture that 5th NBA title. Much like then Kobe overcame fatigue, the pressure of having to perform like he had his entire career, and just had an incredible 4th quarter knocking down big shot after big shot. I was so happy for him that I burst into tears and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

That guy, #24 meant a lot to me over the years. I grew up watching the guy play basketball. He's the biggest reason I became a Lakers fan in the first place and fell in love with the game of basketball. Still remember being so depressed when Kobe's Achilles snapped because I knew it was the beginning of the end for him and it was unfortunately. Yet and still the fact that Kobe made it back and fought through all the struggles and multiple injuries and then went out the way he did I mean just makes me feel so fortunate to have witnessed such an incredible player and competitor in the prime of his career. Doing things on the basketball court that not many could do.

Kobe Bryant will always be my favorite player ever. Always be a guy that I'll just be glad and appreciate having been able to watch and become what he became. There were so many ups and downs for him. There was the whole mess with Shaq and then breaking up, then Phil leaving and coming back, Kobe having to play with a bunch of scrubs during some of his best years, then came the Pau trade and just when it seemed like he had everything he needed they got destroyed in that Finals against Boston and it was a rough series for him personally. People start saying he can't do it without Shaq. Really that had been the narrative for years, but only got louder after 2008. He responds by leading Team USA to Gold, wins back to back championships including as I mentioned earlier an incredible victory in a tightly contested Game 7. Erasing any doubt that he was one of the ten greatest ever. He fought off Father Time for a long time. Eventually it caught up to Kobe, but man was it impressive watching him even after losing a lot of his athleticism still be one of the game's great players. Testament to how hard he worked, the dedication to be in terrific game shape, continuing to evolve his skills, and just being what Kobe was about.

Miss watching Kobe play. I'm sure we all do, but I'm also really happy for him that he got to finish his career with a vintage Kobe performance and also more importantly find something he loves just like he did with basketball. This story telling and really making a profound impact when it comes to talking to people, think the guy is just a great motivator and really wants to help people out and be productive post basketball, reaching people you know and also staying involved with the game he's loved all his life.

CHURCH

!...
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A Year Ago Today.

Lakers2015 wrote:

Great read man. You and me, both.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A Year Ago Today.

Lakers2015 wrote:

First time in a long time that a post made me take off my pants
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: A Year Ago Today.

Lakers2015 wrote:

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: