Rodney King Riots in LA - 25th Anniversary
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Rodney King Riots in LA - 25th Anniversary

63 confirmed homcides, 23 are unsolved

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/miranda/la-et-cam-la-riots-jeff-beall-los-angeles-uprising-20170427-htmlstory.html

stories of some murder victims:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/la-riots-victims-killed-defending-businesses-in-random-attacks.html

photos:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-fw-times-riot-photos-unfurled-20170427-htmlstory.html
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject:

did anybody get held accountable for pulling LAPD out of the riot zones?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

Aaron Ratinoff, a 68-year-old white man, was killed Friday, May 1, 1992, in the 11600 block of Gateway Boulevard in Sawtelle. Ratinoff was strangled by a supermarket produce manager in a dispute over corn husks.
==

wat

I dunno about some of these. A number of them sound like normal LA hood shootings. Where you from?!1 hits and other typical deaths that just happened from the 29th to 1st.

Harry Doller, a 56-year-old white man, died Friday, May 1, 1992, in Silver Lake. Doller, who lived alone in a cottage in the 3500 block Winslow Drive, "fell asleep with a cigarette and his bed caught fire," said Det. Andrew Cicoria. The coroner's office concluded that he died of a drug and alcohol overdose and that his cigarette may have started the fire.

==
George Alvarez, a 42-year-old Latino, died Friday, May 1, 1992, in Chinatown. Alvarez was beaten to death by some homeless people after he allegedly stole less than $5 worth of recyclable cans and bottles. His body was found in front of a recycling center, near Main and College streets.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

My family was living in Pershing square when the riots broke out. Although the looting and burning didn't reach the diamond district dad was overly protective as usual. He locked us all in the apartment and barricaded us in together with furniture at the door. We had a fire escape in case something were to happen. My pops didn't own a weapon nor does he care for guns. Even to this day he is still anti gun.

Anywhoo. A year later we moved out downtown and into the suburbs.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
My family was living in Pershing square when the riots broke out. Although the looting and burning didn't reach the diamond district dad was overly protective as usual. He locked us all in the apartment and barricaded us in together with furniture at the door. We had a fire escape in case something were to happen. My pops didn't own a weapon nor does he care for guns. Even to this day he is still anti gun.

That's good on yer pops, Nino. I'm reading these death accounts and a LOT of them are people who caught stray bullets from friend and foe alike, black, Hispanic, Korean, and white -- at least one of each. Utter mayhem. You read those and you can image the Purge going down in the streets.

I remember that peace march on the 1st like it was yesterday. I tuned into the Lakers/Blazers closeout at UNLV, which NBC aired at the tipoff. Clippers and Jazz played their finale at Anaheim.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
the truth is, they needed to. and this is coming from a black person. and yes it was bad. i was kid back when it happened.

we think the cops are bad now looking at all the unarmed black folks that have been shot dead in the streets these past few years around the US. but we L.A. citizens had to deal with the corrupt crooked, shady, racist cops(a lot of them were brought in from the south under the guise of "war on drugs"). L.A. in the 90's black folks specifically, dealing with cops was a horrible experience.

So in that situation of the riots. i was glad the cops were pulled out. Imagine what would've happened if cops started shooting people because they SAID person X kept coming towards them with a molotov or something. whether true or not. That may have been all out war, blacks vs cops. You dont want that. for the most part all we had to deal with is a lot of smoke from the fires, looting(most of these places had insurance). i read somewhere that their were around 63 deaths due to the riots. thats a lot. But imagine if the cops got in a war with black folks. that death toll could've been in the 100's easily on both sides. No thanks. no one wanted that. at the time i thought that was a terrible decision for them to back out but the longer i lived i realized it was the best decision they made.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Aaron Ratinoff, a 68-year-old white man, was killed Friday, May 1, 1992, in the 11600 block of Gateway Boulevard in Sawtelle. Ratinoff was strangled by a supermarket produce manager in a dispute over corn husks.
==

wat

I dunno about some of these. A number of them sound like normal LA hood shootings. Where you from?!1 hits and other typical deaths that just happened from the 29th to 1st.

Harry Doller, a 56-year-old white man, died Friday, May 1, 1992, in Silver Lake. Doller, who lived alone in a cottage in the 3500 block Winslow Drive, "fell asleep with a cigarette and his bed caught fire," said Det. Andrew Cicoria. The coroner's office concluded that he died of a drug and alcohol overdose and that his cigarette may have started the fire.

==
George Alvarez, a 42-year-old Latino, died Friday, May 1, 1992, in Chinatown. Alvarez was beaten to death by some homeless people after he allegedly stole less than $5 worth of recyclable cans and bottles. His body was found in front of a recycling center, near Main and College streets.

Unfortunately, you saw a lot of senseless violence and deaths because law and order broke down. People were looting, beating innocent people they saw on the streets, setting buildings on fire just for sheer mayhem, etc. In essence everyone was left to fend for themselves. I would say there was a lot of people that didn't even live in the area that took advantage of the situation and used it acquire free shoes, tv's, food, etc....
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
governator wrote:
the truth is, they needed to. and this is coming from a black person. and yes it was bad. i was kid back when it happened.

we think the cops are bad now looking at all the unarmed black folks that have been shot dead in the streets these past few years around the US. but we L.A. citizens had to deal with the corrupt crooked, shady, racist cops(a lot of them were brought in from the south under the guise of "war on drugs"). L.A. in the 90's black folks specifically, dealing with cops was a horrible experience.

So in that situation of the riots. i was glad the cops were pulled out. Imagine what would've happened if cops started shooting people because they SAID person X kept coming towards them with a molotov or something. whether true or not. That may have been all out war, blacks vs cops. You dont want that. for the most part all we had to deal with is a lot of smoke from the fires, looting(most of these places had insurance). i read somewhere that their were around 63 deaths due to the riots. thats a lot. But imagine if the cops got in a war with black folks. that death toll could've been in the 100's easily on both sides. No thanks. no one wanted that. at the time i thought that was a terrible decision for them to back out but the longer i lived i realized it was the best decision they made.

ok, didn't even think about that perspective. Good points. I was thinking about the victims of the riots (might have to expand the def of victims)
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

Cops probably wouldn't have been able to stop the hordes of angry mobs that were going around looting businesses, beating people, setting stores on fire. In essence the national guard coming in basically stopped the outsiders from coming into the area and contributing to the chaos not to mention restored some law and order that was lacking.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

We should also mention the Korean owned businesses, most of whom didn't carry insurance, which sustained about half the total amount of damages the LA riots caused.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/28/us/la-riots-korean-americans/

The LAPD abandoned those Korean owned businesses and then only came back to arrest them for arming themselves to protect themselves from looters and arsonists.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I stayed off the streets during all LA uprisings.

On one occasion I had to take a friend home. On the way back I passed a kinda upscale men's clothier on Crenshaw near Adams, Ed Burks.

A looter was coming through the broken window with clothes on both arms and his back. A officer approached, told him to stop. The guy stuck his tongue out at the cop. He was very lucky the officer shot him in the leg. I don't know what kind of load he had but the looter did a flip. Zeidlers & Zeidlers another upscale mens store was spared. I believe it was because it was next to The Magnificent Brothers barber shop. They were the leading shop for cutting naturals in Los Angeles.

I passed a burning building, the flames were so hot I could hardly stand them and I was in my car moving. I take my hat off to firefighters.

Changed has been little since Rodney King. It's not as open as it was in the past but the disrespect for Black people is still a problem.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

On one occasion I had to take a friend home. On the way back I passed a kinda upscale men's clothier on Crenshaw near Adams, Ed Burks.

A looter was coming through the broken window with clothes on both arms and his back. A officer approached, told him to stop. The guy stuck his tongue out at the cop. He was very lucky the officer shot him in the leg. I don't know what kind of load he had but the looter did a flip. Zeidlers & Zeidlers another upscale mens store was spared. I believe it was because it was next to The Magnificent Brothers barber shop. They were the leading shop for cutting naturals in Los Angeles.

I passed a burning building, the flames were so hot I could hardly stand them and I was in my car moving. I take my hat off to firefighters.

Changed has been little since Rodney King. It's not as open as it was in the past but the disrespect for Black people is still a problem.

I don't disagree with you that an injustice was done...however, what we saw with the reaction where people were going around beating folks up, murdering people, looting, and setting stuff on fire just showed how ugly it could get. It was basically every man or woman for themselves, law and order broke down and chaos ensued.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Cops probably wouldn't have been able to stop the hordes of angry mobs that were going around looting businesses, beating people, setting stores on fire. In essence the national guard coming in basically stopped the outsiders from coming into the area and contributing to the chaos not to mention restored some law and order that was lacking.
pretty much. sometimes, you have to just stand back and hope it doesnt get to bad. in reality it didnt. it looked CRAZY as heck. but in reality 1000 people didnt end up dead or severely injured. now to those that died or did get really hurt, or their families/friends they feel different. I'm talking in the grand scheme of things. if you're a police dept or a city sheriff or the mayor. you have to think more about the grand scheme in a situation like this.

Truth is, if the cops would've started running in their. they would've gotten hurt. which would've meant time to bring out the guns. and now they are shooting so called bad guys who are just kids that are HYPED over the crowd mentality(we know there's science behind this. i forgot what they call it...mob mentality...)

And remember who started this anyway? pretty much the justice system. They poured fuel on a city, stood back and set a match and then said "oh my I can't believe there's a fire right there."

You can't really blame a flame for burning when you give it fuel and started its initial spark. and for the record it would not have just been blacks catching it. others were out their in the streets, looting too. if you got closer to wilshire. you saw less blacks, less hispanics, a lot more whites, some asians actually looting spots. everyone was in on it. it wasnt just kids either. full grown men and women were like forget it. might as well get me a big screen TV too. cops could've easily accidentally shot one of them. and then what? you do know they really dont want all of the citizens coming together and going against them. It's more citizens by far then their arm cops or national guards. and guess who's on the police force and national guards? these people's family members and friends. that wouldnt end well either.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

now the firefighters should get all the love in the world. they were putting in major work doing those riots. props to them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't disagree with you that an injustice was done...however, what we saw with the reaction where people were going around beating folks up, murdering people, looting, and setting stuff on fire just showed how ugly it could get. It was basically every man or woman for themselves, law and order broke down and chaos ensued.

I was never a advocate of looting and burning. The ones who suffered most were the ones burning their neighborhoods.

Yes law and order broke down. Reason, Daryl Gates pulled the policemen out of the riot zone. They didn't try to stop the riots. Reginald Denny was nearly killed and the police were nowhere to be found.

Gates was forced to re-sign because of his handling of the riot. He was replaced by someone just as, if not worse, William Parker. It's rumored Parker recruited men from the south. Those men were allegedly given free reign to beat and harass Black people.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
We should also mention the Korean owned businesses, most of whom didn't carry insurance, which sustained about half the total amount of damages the LA riots caused.

The LAPD abandoned those Korean owned businesses and then only came back to arrest them for arming themselves to protect themselves from looters and arsonists.
this is true. they were standing on top of shoppers world with uzi's off of jefferson and la brea( a well known swapmeet at the time. its now some storage place i believe).

but at the same time. there were serious issues with korean business owners being extremely racist to black customers. i know black customers would give them hell also. But to think you can follow people around the store and not think they will get mad at you for ASSUMING they were stealing is beyond naive. and just the mere fact that all of these korean owned establishments were popping up in black neighborhoods. meaning they were all willing to make money off of the black consumer, while treating said consumer like crap. then take that money and either send it back home to korea or put spend it in korean neighborhoods here around the L.A. area. You want to be apart of the community? fine. then be a part of the community. spend your money in the community to. otherwise you're just a leach. and when a riot pops off guess who's going to catch the heat first? The leaches.

then to add insult to injury a lot of those businesses were harmful to the community. they were liquor stores on every corner. You have hundreds of years of racism by whites more or less placing blacks in a state of brokeness all stuck together in one area. Then you give bank loans for non black owners first(this was happening as well) to allow for poison in the community. there's nothing wrong with a little sipping here and there. But its much easier to only drink what you need to drink when you're not stress out because you may not be able to pay rent or your light bill next month. you get my point? it's similar what they did to the native americans. you give them liquor and cigs. then turn around and say "wow, you guys have a serious drinking problem and smoke problem." OH really? who would've thunk it.

what do people do when they are super poor and stressed out? They go have some cheap fun. go to the liquor store and by cigs(nicotine fix), mess with drugs-get high to forget you live in a 1 bedroom with your mother brother and sister, or get drunk for the same reason..maybe you can forget about your horrible living conditions. but the more you do these things. these vices. the more it hurts your limited chances of doing better. its a cold setup if you ask me. And i've had this conversation with my korean friends/asian friends in general over the course of my lifetime. i understood their side. but they never really thought about the other side of it. most people dont since thats not their problem or so they feel. they dont live like that so they dont have to think about it like that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
==

wat

==
see now. i didnt even want to do the research because i had a feeling it might be some questionable numbers. oh boy. you guys see what i'm saying. you can't even trust the numbers half the time. what a shame.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
999 wrote:

That's good on yer pops, Nino. I'm reading these death accounts and a LOT of them are people who caught stray bullets from friend and foe alike, black, Hispanic, Korean, and white -- at least one of each. Utter mayhem. You read those and you can image the Purge going down in the streets.

I remember that peace march on the 1st like it was yesterday. I tuned into the Lakers/Blazers closeout at UNLV, which NBC aired at the tipoff. Clippers and Jazz played their finale at Anaheim.
purge is an excellent call, thats exactly how it looked. all out mayhem.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
==

It was a small corner market that used to be a Bob's Market on Barrington, the employee got him in a chokehold and what I've been told is that he passed away after leaving the store. Not sure why this was a part of the riots list, but it was originally printed in the LATimes around that time.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

Just saw this documentary on Friday on Showtime. Was pretty good and timed right.

Its funny, even after living through that time period and seeing the stuff I did through tv, watching it again from this was something else to fill in some of those little gaps forgotten through time.

Burn MotherF*****Burn

Bye.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:

Yeah, I remember that. Fortunately, our family didn't do business in downtown K-town at the time, but many others were put in harms way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
Just saw this documentary on Friday on Showtime. Was pretty good and timed right.

Its funny, even after living through that time period and seeing the stuff I did through tv, watching it again from this was something else to fill in some of those little gaps forgotten through time.

Burn MotherF*****Burn

Bye.

That fueled the insurrection. People saw others walking off with furniture, alcohol, any and everything with no police in sight They had been pulled out of the riot zone. There was no resistance. . It looked easy.

As God is my witness. I saw a man walking down 103rd with a green couch on his back. He sat the couch down, walked over to a liquor store, got a beer, came back, sat down on the couch, drank it, got up and went on his merry way.

This was broadcasted on TV to Los Angeles at large. I'm sure it inspired some to go get theirs.

The police being pulled out of the riot zones was the reason Daryl Gates was made to resign.

The documentary title Burn MotherF*****Burn replaced the original chant Burn Baby Burn.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

On ABC 7, they showed a clip of Marc Brown, who is now the evening anchor, back during the riots interviewing some white guy who looked like he was from the IE or Orange County asking him why he took a pair of shoes from Payless? He said those corporations they charge too much for these shoes so we gotta rebel against the man.....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
On ABC 7, they showed a clip of Marc Brown, who is now the evening anchor, back during the riots interviewing some white guy who looked like he was from the IE or Orange County asking him why he took a pair of shoes from Payless? He said those corporations they charge too much for these shoes so we gotta rebel against the man.....

The looters weren't all from LA and they weren't all Black. Whites not from LA were caught on the freeway with truck loads of stolen goods.

TV coverage fueled the insurrection. It looked like a snatch and grab with no resistance.

gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

That was just all crazy. My Nana used to live down by west Adams and even driving around town when I visited her that following weekend, I could see stores that were vandalized or looted that weren't at the epicenter.

It was just crazy, going from tv to actually seeing it with my own two eyes.

So many boarded places, some that still hadn't boarded up too.

One of the biggest what if memories I had when it started was wondering if the rioting would be contained or happen throughout the entire Southland like a swarm.

Bye.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: