View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:
If you have a kid (or kids) and sometimes worry about their choices as they're growing up and exercising more independence, this might resonate ...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/opinions/hernandez-not-a-monster-jones-opinion/index.html

Anyway, RIP #81 ...

Oh please . . . there are lots of troubled people and people with troubles who don't resort to murder (and pointless and gratuitous ones at that). Plenty of people lose their fathers when they are young. Plenty have to deal with tough lives far worse than Hernandez's. Those aren't excuses for becoming vermin. No one breaks out excuses for the vermin who succumb to their baser instincts during adversity. But apparently if you are a talented athlete/celebrity suddenly you go from scumbag who coldly and selfishly chooses the worst path to a victim of circumstance.

No RIP from me. It's not deserved. About the best I will give him is that I hope the theories about him offing himself in order to hopefully salvage something financially for his daughter are true. He may be screwing the family of victim for his own ends, but at least his ends were to help his daughter and he removed his miserable excuse for a person from this planet in doing so.

Agreed. My father committed suicide when I was 20 years old (7 years ago next month). I moved past it, knew what I had to do, supported my family, graduated from a 4 year university, paid for my own wedding, and have a great job. It depends on the person and how you react to things like this. It either makes you or breaks you, but I NEVER felt sorry for myself. And btw, my dad and I were super close.

My condolences to you regarding your father. May I, in the spirit of acceptance, suggest a simple change? My suggestion is to change the use of the term "committed" suicide. It's based an old English term that implies, from the English and their traditions, that suicide was a crime.

Its not a crime, otherwise there would be a criminal.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
The crazy thing is if he came out as Bi. He would have been hailed by all the SJW crowd as a hero.

Just look what happened with Bruce Jenner sportsman of the year and he hadn't been a real sportsman in decades. Hernandez would have been off the charts.

Oh the irony.

Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:
If you have a kid (or kids) and sometimes worry about their choices as they're growing up and exercising more independence, this might resonate ...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/opinions/hernandez-not-a-monster-jones-opinion/index.html

Anyway, RIP #81 ...

Oh please . . . there are lots of troubled people and people with troubles who don't resort to murder (and pointless and gratuitous ones at that). Plenty of people lose their fathers when they are young. Plenty have to deal with tough lives far worse than Hernandez's. Those aren't excuses for becoming vermin. No one breaks out excuses for the vermin who succumb to their baser instincts during adversity. But apparently if you are a talented athlete/celebrity suddenly you go from scumbag who coldly and selfishly chooses the worst path to a victim of circumstance.

No RIP from me. It's not deserved. About the best I will give him is that I hope the theories about him offing himself in order to hopefully salvage something financially for his daughter are true. He may be screwing the family of victim for his own ends, but at least his ends were to help his daughter and he removed his miserable excuse for a person from this planet in doing so.

Agreed. My father committed suicide when I was 20 years old (7 years ago next month). I moved past it, knew what I had to do, supported my family, graduated from a 4 year university, paid for my own wedding, and have a great job. It depends on the person and how you react to things like this. It either makes you or breaks you, but I NEVER felt sorry for myself. And btw, my dad and I were super close.

My condolences to you regarding your father. May I, in the spirit of acceptance, suggest a simple change? My suggestion is to change the use of the term "committed" suicide. It's based an old English term that implies, from the English and their traditions, that suicide was a crime.

Excellent point. I never knew that. Thanks a lot
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:

Anyway, RIP #81 ...

Excellent point. I never knew that. Thanks a lot

The one thing I ask you to do is share it. There are families who have been suffering for years with emotional conflict because of the the damage done by that term.

My buddy in the 70's didn't commit a crime. He simply decided he wanted to leave. Also, your welcome MM.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
My father committed suicide when I was 20 years old (7 years ago next month). I moved past it, knew what I had to do, supported my family, graduated from a 4 year university, paid for my own wedding, and have a great job. It depends on the person and how you react to things like this. It either makes you or breaks you, but I NEVER felt sorry for myself. And btw, my dad and I were super close.

That's a rough road. Sorry you had to navigate it, but glad to hear you managed it well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

AARON HERNANDEZ
SUICIDE NOTE TO FIANCEE RELEASED
'You're Rich'

Pretty much confirms the theory as to why he killed himself - the financial advantage gained from the Mass. law that voids his conviction because he died while on appeal.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
AARON HERNANDEZ
'You're Rich'

Pretty much confirms the theory as to why he killed himself - the financial advantage gained from the Mass. law that voids his conviction because he died while on appeal.

Supposedly his estate is worthless, perhaps the NFL pension similar to how OJ has been able to stiff the Goldman family for murdering their son?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
AARON HERNANDEZ
'You're Rich'

Supposedly his estate is worthless, perhaps the NFL pension similar to how OJ has been able to stiff the Goldman family for murdering their son?

Aaron Hernandez’s Estate Is Now Worth $0

LINK LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun May 07, 2017 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
AARON HERNANDEZ
'You're Rich'

Supposedly his estate is worthless
, perhaps the NFL pension similar to how OJ has been able to stiff the Goldman family for murdering their son?

It may well be. The point is he was clearly under the impression that is finances would benefit from the Mass. law.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

Aaron Hernandez murder conviction thrown out by judge

That's a relief, for a moment there I thought he killed someone.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

You can be sure this is going up the courts. Right now the Patriots are on the hook for the last $6.5 million on his contract because of this.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

Lawyers start your engines....this isn't over by a long shot. Lots of money at stake on this one.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

It seems as though Hernandez may have known about the statute and Pats owing him. If he did and killed himself to set his daughter and fiance up for life it's surprising to me. He didn't seem to be the kind of person who would do that.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
It seems as though Hernandez may have known about the statute and Pats owing him. If he did and killed himself to set his daughter and fiance up for life it's surprising to me. He didn't seem to be the kind of person who would do that.

What kind of person did he seem to be then? He was convicted of killing one person. And though he was "acquitted" of killing two others, a jury person made it plain when she stated: "though we did acquit him, that in no way is the same as innocent".

It ain't surprising at all that a man who had a tremendous amount of skill & energy, which is reflected in him reaching the top of his profession, couldn't cope with that kind of energy and rage being caged for 18 of 24 hours a day.

He was 27. The guy knew that he was going to be there a long ass time with the his youth and health being almost in peak condition.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Aaron Hernandez murder conviction thrown out by judge

That's a relief, for a moment there I thought he killed someone.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Aaron Hernandez suffered from most severe CTE ever found in a person his age

BOSTON — Aaron Hernandez suffered the most severe case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy ever discovered in a person his age, damage that would have significantly affected his decision-making, judgment and cognition, researchers at Boston University revealed at a medical conference Thursday.

Ann McKee, the head of BU’s CTE Center, which has studied the disease caused by repetitive brain trauma for more than a decade, called Hernandez’s brain “one of the most significant contributions to our work” because of the brain’s pristine condition and the rare opportunity to study the disease in a 27-year-old.

Hernandez, a former New England Patriots tight end, hanged himself with a bedsheet in April in a Massachusetts prison while serving a life sentence for the murder of his friend Odin Lloyd in 2013.

In a diagnosis that linked one of football’s most notorious figures with the sport’s most significant health risk, doctors found Hernandez had Stage 3 CTE, which researchers had never seen in a brain younger than 46 years old, McKee said. Because the center has received few brains from people Hernandez’s age, McKee could not say whether Hernandez’s brain was representative of a 27-year-old who had played football as much as Hernandez. But she found the advanced stage of CTE alarming.

[...]

McKee said Hernandez had a genetic marker that makes people vulnerable to certain brain diseases and could have contributed to how aggressively he developed CTE.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/aaron-hernandez-suffered-from-most-severe-cte-ever-found-in-a-person-his-age/2017/11/09/fa7cd204-c57b-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Hernandez only played 3 seasons in the NFL (in addition to the football he played before his NFL career). I’m curious how his brain would have looked if his career last much longer than that. Those results are horrifying and his career was pretty short.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Bummer about the degree of his brain injuries.

You know what's also a bummer?

Being murdered.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Aaron Hernandez suffered the most severe case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy ever discovered in a person his age, damage that would have significantly affected his decision-making, judgment and cognition

Jeez, makes you wonder how much that played into what happened and would he have done it had he not had CTE.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

I haven't followed the case on whether or not his family got the 15 million the Patriots owed him? What was the decision about his will? Did CTE cause the company to be liable. What was decided on both?

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Being murdered.

Yes, this doesn't excuse his crime. It just adds perspective, and it's good to find out why something happened. It appears that this is probably on the same level as a mentally-ill person committing a crime.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Being murdered.

Yes, this doesn't excuse his crime. It just adds perspective, and it's good to find out why something happened. It appears that this is probably on the same level as a mentally-ill person committing a crime.

Problem is he was already down the path pre-CTE.

He was just a bad dude.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Being murdered.

He was just a bad dude.

It's my understanding he didn't start down the path of violence until college. He played football in high school and college. Who can say when CTE began.

I don't have any idea what kind of teen he was.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Being murdered.

He was just a bad dude.

It's my understanding he didn't start down the path of violence until college. He played football in high school and college. Who can say when CTE began.

I don't have any idea what kind of teen he was.

From what I have read, he was messing around with gangs back as a teen. Of course I'm sure the CTE may have had some influence on his judgement, but it didn't turn a straight-laced guy into a killer.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Being murdered.

A lot of former NFL players have suffered from CTE, one has committed murder. “Why” is a highly subjective term. There is nothing to support it. But there is the fact that Hernandez was a gang banger growing up. Maybe that is the why.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: