Yes, another computer question: laptop battery dead. Just...dead

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Yes, another computer question: laptop battery dead. Just...dead

LGers have helped me with various technological debacles before so...

I have a Lenovo laptop, four years old. Windows 10. Been a good machine. I usually can get like 3-4 hours on the battery.

Today, I was working on it while it was plugged in and charging. But the battery was 100 percent. I pulled it from the charger to walk to a different table and the computer died instantly. Nothing. I tried turning it back on, nothing. I plugged it back in and...turns right on. Check again, yep, 100 percent on the battery. Pull charger out...dies instantly again. Reboot and message pops up on screen saying "Your battery is damaged."

So, my questions:
Anyone had this before and have it be something that wasn't a damaged battery? Like maybe I just hit it a little or keep trying to turn it on and off and it works?

If it is damaged, how much do laptop batteries usually go for? And, since I'd have to hire someone to put it in, what's total cost usually, including labor? Assuming I take it to a regular computer shop.

Will buy a new laptop if needed but was hoping to wait a few months for that, but if the battery's only like 100 bucks or something, might go that route. Again, so far it seems to work fine when plugged in.

The asterisk: Eight months ago I spilled water all over the keyboard. Got a lot of it out and let it dry for few days and everything worked fine since, remarkably. But at time I read that some problems might not pop up until months later as corrosion sets in. Would that have any impact on battery? (obviously I know nothing about inner workings of computers).

Thanks for any info! Basically just looking to see if it might be anything other than a dead battery and what possible price usually is for those replacements.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

laptop batteries go between 50-100$ depending on where you look

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Google the battery model, and check out Amazon. Warning: Batteries can really vary by quality, in terms of holding a charge and life cycle. It's a challenge, as Amazon and other sites have been prone to have stealth PR firms pump fake reviews and ratings.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

Is putting in a new one as easy as this makes it sound?

http://bit.ly/2fNhkZj
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

Yes.

It's just a battery.

Time to sound like an old-timer: I can see your generation never had to solder a motherboard!
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Yes.

It's just a battery.

Time to sound like an old-timer: I can see your generation never had to solder a motherboard!

My mom soldered at her job for 40 years but never passed the skills on to her son, now 41, whose shop class teacher once told my parents he was afraid to let me near the bandsaw. Which...come on, how about offering some encouragement, teach.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

ebay and amazon are great sites for batteries. Like AP said, up to $100ish but as low as 25ish including shipping. Alternatively, if you never use your laptop away from an AC outlet, you can just remove the battery and run it on AC power indefinitely.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

Just make sure you get a genuine replacement and pay extra for it. You don't want to get a cheap knockoff that catches on fire....
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I've never had a Lenovo and don't know what model you have, but I'm not aware of many laptops for which the battery can't easily be removed and replaced without tools. That's not to say they don't exist....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

All right, thanks for the input, guys. Think I'm gonna get one and try it on my own. If I never post here again, just know it has nothing to do with disappointment over the state of the Lakers and everything to do with the fact something went horribly awry and I've decided to never use a computer again.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Yes.

It's just a battery.

Haven't had to solder a motherboard, but they're missing out on the fun times resolving those IRQ and COM port conflicts back in the day.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
All right, thanks for the input, guys. Think I'm gonna get one and try it on my own. If I never post here again, just know it has nothing to do with disappointment over the state of the Lakers and everything to do with the fact something went horribly awry and I've decided to never use a computer again.

Think you're going to be alright, hope all goes well with the new battery.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Yes.

It's just a battery.

Haven't had to solder a motherboard, but they're missing out on the fun times resolving those IRQ and COM port conflicts back in the day.

It was fun times back in those days when "friends" ask you to fix their computer problems.....
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Lucky you. I can't ship a battery to Hawaii. The local battery shops don't carry my model... so it seems I'm crap out of luck.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
spflakers wrote:

Think you're going to be alright, hope all goes well with the new battery.

Spf, your shop teacher has the two fingers you left by the ban saw, if you want them back that is....
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
K2 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Yes.

It's just a battery.

It was fun times back in those days when "friends" ask you to fix their computer problems.....

All too familiar with this
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Yes.

It's just a battery.

Or setting the jumpers for the correct CPU clockspeed.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

^Things have come a long way since the days of pencil modding bridges, cpu pin mods, and u shaped wire mods.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: