Magic Johnson - "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Anyway 9% bodyfat looks different depending on the person

This guy dropped to 9% body fat

http://www.embodyfitness.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/andy-transformation-WEBphotocred-01.jpg

This guy is 8% body fat

http://www.getontrackfitness.com/wellness/images/rubinFeb2011.gif

This guy is 13% body fat

http://www.getontrackfitness.com/wellness/images/evanFeb2011.gif

this guy is 10% body fat

http://www.getontrackfitness.com/wellness/images/cormilusFeb2011.gif

So is this guy

http://www.getontrackfitness.com/wellness/images/photo-pablo.gif

This guy' sat 11%

http://www.getontrackfitness.com/wellness/images/photo-orlando.gif

This guy is at 9%

http://www.getontrackfitness.com/wellness/images/photo-hector.gif

And this guy is barely under 10%

http://www.getontrackfitness.com/wellness/images/photo-tico.gif

This however is what's usually considered 5-9% bodyfat

https://cdn4.ruled.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/5percentbf.jpg

And this is considered 10-14%

https://cdn4.ruled.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/male-10-percent-body-fat.jpeg

https://cdn4.ruled.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/10p.png

And this is what's usually considered 15-19%

https://cdn4.ruled.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/16p.png

https://cdn4.ruled.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/JosefAfter.jpg

I think it would have been better for Magic to say "We don't want anybody higher than 9-19% body fat.

That would have been a lot more realistic and better for the players.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Lol @ Draymond being at 9% bodyfat. Not a chance.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't Riley basically tell his players the same thing?
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I like what Magic is trying to put into place. Players are paid millions and it's not an unfair ask of them to be in the best shape possible. I like that he actually was specific (talking body fat and the like) -- it makes things real, rather than a generic platitude type statement. By putting in something measurable, it helps concretize it and puts things into focus. Whether that exact number is the correct one, I don't think that was the point. It was more to set down a target that only elite levels will be accepted, and highlights the amount of work and corresponding mindset needed to achieve that.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:
What is Russell's body fat?

was 12.4%

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=181256

He better get to work!
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Gonna see a whole lot of trash cans out at training camp next fall
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
I like what Magic is trying to put into place. Players are paid millions and it's not an unfair ask of them to be in the best shape possible. I like that he actually was specific (talking body fat and the like) -- it makes things real, rather than a generic platitude type statement. By putting in something measurable, it helps concretize it and puts things into focus. Whether that exact number is the correct one, I don't think that was the point. It was more to set down a target that only elite levels will be accepted, and highlights the amount of work and corresponding mindset needed to achieve that.

Sure, forget that the target might lead to detrimental activities, as long as it is concrete.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

tkLAKERS wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
I do not understand all the complaining about this. What is possibly wrong with being in the best shape possible? Just like Pelinka was saying about getting these guys with somebody to get their sleep habits and diets at their optimal best, and having great leaders from other professions come speak to the team. Things like this are obviously second to working on their games, but can improve their play.

Agreed. Magic's 7-8% number isn't realistic but tbh most people don't actually know their accurate BF % and what it takes to get to that level. It wasn't a literal cut off number but rather him trying to tell the team that they will need to get into better physical shape and conditioning which has obviously been lacking the past few seasons. Optimal Diet, sleep habits, weight training, and cardio training will vastly improve everyone on our teams game.

But how dare Magic tell the team that they need to be in better physical condition?

Magic is now, in essence, the president of basketball operations for the Lakers. What he says carries weight and has consequences compared to when he was just a commentator. You may feel his body fat limit comment is no big deal, but it may affect our players' morale as well as free agents' decisions on whether or not they should consider the Lakers.

Maybe the 7-8% is unreleastic, but I take it in a broader sense of being in the best shape you can be.The players themselves know they need to work on their bodies, they said it in the exit interviews. He wants the best and is challenging the players to put in the work to be the best. These are pro athletes, grown men he is talking to, obviously not people on this board. They're not gonna get all sensitive about it, but any who do, they should be gone.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Sure, forget that the target might lead to detrimental activities, as long as it is concrete.

As I mentioned in my post -- I think people are getting stuck at the specific number, rather than what that symbolizes. Just to understand your point -- are you against the Lakers targeting to have elite level athletes?
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

This thread feels like an argument between Democrats and Republicans.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

As I mentioned in my post -- I think people are getting stuck at the specific number, rather than what that symbolizes. Just to understand your point -- are you against the Lakers targeting to have elite level athletes?

So it is good that it is concrete but because it is really only symbolic? Pick one.

To answer your question, I think it is pretty stupid, because it is an arbitrary number based on probably nothing, and possibly counterproductive to the actual goal of basketball fitness and ability. But it does make that great, "magic is telling them what's what" narrative that is so transparent.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Oh, if you want excellence, how about say yes to Jerry west?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Commitment to Excellence!

But not commitment to "having too many people smarter than me in the front office." I guess.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

nvm

Last edited by DangeRuss on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

weren't you against jerry west few months ago?

also since when did Mark Hiesler became legit? this is the same guy who swore MDA is not coming back or something like that and the exact opposite happened.

nobody in the national media is picking this between
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

also since when did Mark Hiesler became legit? this is the same guy who swore MDA is not coming back or something like that and the exact opposite happened.

Uh, no. And heisler didn't break this...
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Uh, no. And heisler didn't break this...

this is what i got from the other thread:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/14/heisler-lakers-no-longer-even-do-no-brainers-like-tanking-and-jerry-west/

Heisler: Lakers no longer even do no-brainers, like tanking and Jerry West
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:

Yes, some folks here take words to literally missing the message. Those guys make a lot of money and should be in top form.

It is probably consequence of the favorite player with a body fat above the line Magic is setting.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

So it is good that it is concrete but because it is really only symbolic? Pick one.

To answer your question, I think it is pretty stupid, because it is an arbitrary number based on probably nothing, and possibly counterproductive to the actual goal of basketball fitness and ability. But it does make that great, "magic is telling them what's what" narrative that is so transparent.

No need to pick one. Let me illustrate using something that different leaders in a company could say:

1. "We need to provide our customers with highly reliable systems" - weak as it's one of those generic statements.

2. "We will provide our customers with world class reliability" - bit better, but what does that really mean.

3. "Our customers can expect that we provide them 99.99+% system reliability". Something operations could definitely rally around. Doesn't mean every system has to hit that, but the bar has been set on what is expected.

I would say the leader of number three has the best chance of success based on how he's communicated his message. I'm sure you disagree as you have an in-built bias against Magic. And that's okay as I'm up front that I come in with an in-built bias to be positive about him and the change he's bringing in
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

We really should be prepared for dumb statements like this given Magic's tweet history.

Why didn't he just say the players need to come in in shape next season? Which is already a "duh" type thing to say anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

No need to pick one. Let me illustrate using something that different leaders in a company could say:

1. "We need to provide our customers with highly reliable systems" - weak as it's one of those generic statements.

2. "We will provide our customers with world class reliability" - bit better, but what does that really mean.

3. "Our customers can expect that we provide them 99.99+% system reliability". Something operations could definitely rally around. Doesn't mean every system has to hit that, but the bar has been set on what is expected.

I would say the leader of number three has the best chance of success based on how he's communicated his message. I'm sure you disagree as you have an in-built bias against Magic. And that's okay as I'm up front that I come in with an in-built bias to be positive about him and the change he's bringing in

That's not analogous to a fairly arbitrary and potentially unhelpful body fat percentage that all players need to achieve. Unless you're saying that a teams product is body fat levels (as reliable systems would be your analogy company's product).
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Magic had 4% body fat for the 88-89 season, arguably his best regular season ever.

here is him talking with Chick about it. Link
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Magic had 4% body fat for the 88-89 season, arguably his best regular season ever.

here is him talking with Chick about it. Link

Zero chance he was at 4% body fat.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if body fat % is calculated differently than it was in the 80's, and Magic's unaware of that.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

That's not analogous to a fairly arbitrary and potentially unhelpful body fat percentage that all players need to achieve. Unless you're saying that a teams product is body fat levels (as reliable systems would be your analogy company's product).

Actually they are analogous -- reliability in my example is not a product but rather shall we say a feature (e.g. Uber's product is the ride share, reliability is just a part of that overall service). For this discussion, 'athletic level' is a corresponding 'feature' of a larger product of the basketball team.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Didn't Riley have this rule in Miami too?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17
Jump to: