Magic Johnson - "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

And what has he done wrong that actually impacts the team? So far all his moves have been positive:
- Pelinka so far has been the right move
- Trading Lou secured the tank and got us 3rd odds, got us a first round pick (which everyone wanted), and a high energy defensive guy (I know you think taking back Brewer was the wrong move)
- He cleared out wasted space (e.g. Huertas), and turned that into Ennis. Everyone laughed at it at the time, but now everyone wants to sign him
- He brought in Nwaba (everyone had been clamoring to leverage our D-League), finally bringing in some athletic, defensive, high working guys
- Now he wants everyone in elite shape, and somehow that is a bad thing

I may be wrong about that, but I think the problem at this point is that Magic was high on Okafor, never told Dlo is our PG of the future and now comes telling everybody is supposed to be well conditioned when Russell told in the exit interview he is supposed to workout to match the eye test of someone (something like this) ... what I get is a extreme fear from Dlo supporters that he is going to get moved as soon as we get a reasonable offer. I feel like the anti Magic crop is basically the pro Russell brotherhood. That would be funny if we have to create a Magic P&M thread before he actually makes anything.

I'm pro Russell, pro Magic and I'm going to be pro-whoever is a laker. It just makes no sense for me when guys are so negative against someone who plays such a vital role in our future. DLO turning out to be a bust would have messed up our franchise regardless of how happy anti-DLO posters would be and in the same way if Magic Johnson ends up being forced to step down, it will be after he's messed up our franchise bad enough to where we're (bleep) regardless.

I mean for crying out loud, Magic Johnson hasn't even made 1 bad decision about our franchise yet and we have 12 pages of people giving him crap. Can we atleast wait for him to do one thing wrong. It's almost like predicting someone will be a criminal before he commits his first crime.

D'Angelo Russell is my favorite Laker (or #2 after BI) and we've had so many small signs that are hinting at DLO being traded. I'll be (bleep) pissed if it happens but I'm not gonna (bleep) on him 2 months beforehand because I can't predict the future.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I don't want any players who can't shoot a jumpshot or defend, but 7 or 8% body fat... that's cool too, Magic.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

And what has he done wrong that actually impacts the team? So far all his moves have been positive:
- Trading Lou secured the tank and got us 3rd odds, got us a first round pick (which everyone wanted), and a high energy defensive guy (I know you think taking back Brewer was the wrong move)
- He cleared out wasted space (e.g. Huertas), and turned that into Ennis. Everyone laughed at it at the time, but now everyone wants to sign him
- He brought in Nwaba (everyone had been clamoring to leverage our D-League), finally bringing in some athletic, defensive, high working guys

I may be wrong about that, but I think the problem at this point is that Magic was high on Okafor, never told Dlo is our PG of the future and now comes telling everybody is supposed to be well conditioned when Russell told in the exit interview he is supposed to workout to match the eye test of someone (something like this) ... what I get is a extreme fear from Dlo supporters that he is going to get moved as soon as we get a reasonable offer. I feel like the anti Magic crop is basically the pro Russell brotherhood. That would be funny if we have to create a Magic P&M thread before he actually makes anything.

I think Magic is set on trading Dlo...just a gut feeling
don't think any anti Magic sentiment is rooted in Dlo's defense...more like fear he's going to be a bull in a china shop and ruin what little we've worked for the last few years of higher draft choices

That's the sad part. There's zero reason to presume that's how things are going to go. From the start there's been a consistent emphasis upon unity and collaboration as the staple of the new FO culture:

Quote:
“I’ll empower the general manager to make decisions,” Johnson said. “Anything to do with trades, draft, of course it’s going to end with me. Their input is going to be very important.”

Johnson also outlined a collaborative effort with Lakers coach Luke Walton, Jeanie Buss, scout Ryan West, scout Jesse Buss and D-Fenders president Joey Buss. Within that framework, Johnson envisioned his role as “a combination” of former Lakers owner Jerry Buss and former GM/VP Jerry West. While Jerry Buss had a final say on major decisions in coaching hires, trades, draft picks and free agent acquisitions, he often delegated to his basketball operations staff to do the work. Meanwhile, West helped construct the Showtime Lakers of the 1980’s, acquired Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal in the mid-1990s and then had another general manager role with the Memphis Grizzlies (2002-07) and an advisory role with the Golden State Warriors (2011-present).

“I’m a point guard. I like to work with everybody. Yes, I’ll be like Dr. Buss and will be like Jerry West,” Johnson said.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/02/21/lakers-magic-johnson-plans-to-call-shots-while-pledging-to-empower-next-gm/

Quote:
Pelinka was taken away by the amount of collaboration that Dr. Buss encouraged and — having been introduced as the Lakers’ General Manager on Friday — aims to replicate that in his new position within the franchise’s front office.

“We are all gonna come together like Dr. Buss envisioned and we’re gonna collaborate,” Pelinka said. “We’re gonna exchange ideas. People’s opinions are going to be shared and respected. Jeanie (Buss) and Earvin (“Magic” Johnson) are going to guide the vision and we are all going to architect it.”

Jeanie Buss, Pelinka, Johnson and head coach Luke Walton represent the Lakers’ leadership heading into this new era of the franchise.

Johnson, the team’s President of Basketball Operations, sat beside Pelinka at the press conference and dubbed him his “running mate” in the front office.

Johnson applauded Pelinka for sharing a similar vision but also being “strong where I’m weak.” Specifically, Pelinka has thorough knowledge of the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement and salary cap.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170310-rob-pelinka-magic-johnson

It's mind-boggling to me that people are just blatantly ignoring this and acting like Magic is dead set on being some autonomous, out of control maniac who just wants to push the little red button. The decisions that will be made won't just be "Magic" decisions. They'll be committee decisions. Just like Pop said in describing the same dynamic in San Antonio's FO, when everything is done as a group no one can just pin the blame on one person. If something fails, they all failed together because it was done as a group. But yeah, let's just ignore everything they've actually said and replace it with some speculative narrative, steeped in bias, and pretend it's factual. That seems....fair .

For what it's worth, I interpreted the body fat percentage thing as being more about setting a standard to set the tone for the culture than anything else. If the numbers Magic used are off they have an entire offseason to speak with grassfed or other nutritionists who can help them hash out those technical kinks with better precision. But of course, the anti-Magic crowd wouldn't dare let an opportunity to pile on him pass them by.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I think we should just cool our jets until he actually does something
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

tkLAKERS wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Nearly 10 pages of LG picking apart a Magic quote that could easily be taken as nothing more than expressing: "we want guys to be in optimal shape".

We did it with Jim. Magic took his place, so we're doing it with him. We'll do it with the next guy if he's a dolt too.

Magic is a dolt?

......have you seen some of his tweets?

You have an unrealistic expectation of people being astute, erudite, and cogent on MF Twitter of all things. Do you realize what you're even asking for? It's a moronic ass antisocial media site set up for the myriad of brilliant users to spurt out 2 line thoughts that run thru their heads at any given moment. Stop acting like Magic is supposed to sound like Einstein from his Twitter feed. The majority of tweets you've ever read were the text equivalent of cat videos.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Well for a guy who is president of the basketball ops to have never put together a team at any level to not hire a GM who has put together a team is an egregious error in my book. Th e Lakers are rolling in cash and who do they hire to run the front office? 2 guys who between them have zero hours running an NBA front office. Expect a learning curve. A big one.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
tkLAKERS wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Nearly 10 pages of LG picking apart a Magic quote that could easily be taken as nothing more than expressing: "we want guys to be in optimal shape".

We did it with Jim. Magic took his place, so we're doing it with him. We'll do it with the next guy if he's a dolt too.

Magic is a dolt?

......have you seen some of his tweets?

You have an unrealistic expectation of people being astute, erudite, and cogent on MF Twitter of all things. Do you realize what you're even asking for? It's a moronic ass antisocial media site set up for the myriad of brilliant users to spurt out 2 line thoughts that run thru their heads at any given moment. Stop acting like Magic is supposed to sound like Einstein from his Twitter feed. The majority of tweets you've ever read were the text equivalent of cat videos.

I don't think Magic needs to sound like Einstein, just not Homey the Clown.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
nash wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

I'm pro Russell, pro Magic and I'm going to be pro-whoever is a laker. It just makes no sense for me when guys are so negative against someone who plays such a vital role in our future. DLO turning out to be a bust would have messed up our franchise regardless of how happy anti-DLO posters would be and in the same way if Magic Johnson ends up being forced to step down, it will be after he's messed up our franchise bad enough to where we're (bleep) regardless.

I mean for crying out loud, Magic Johnson hasn't even made 1 bad decision about our franchise yet and we have 12 pages of people giving him crap. Can we atleast wait for him to do one thing wrong. It's almost like predicting someone will be a criminal before he commits his first crime.

D'Angelo Russell is my favorite Laker (or #2 after BI) and we've had so many small signs that are hinting at DLO being traded. I'll be (bleep) pissed if it happens but I'm not gonna (bleep) on him 2 months beforehand because I can't predict the future.

Well said. I also am a homer and love everything Laker.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
nash wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Well said. I also am a homer and love everything Laker.

I feel this way about players and coaches with a winning history here.

I used to get mad with posters calling out Pau when his body started to fade, I don't like the insults towards Magic, I couldn't even take the way Byron was mistreated despite the fact that I find him a bad coach.

I had a lot of fun with our team from the 90's, but I don't have the same feeling, no titles no love
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Listen ya'll, interesting debate but let's not kid ourselves. Doubt more than a handful of people here even know what 8% or hell even 18% body fat looks like. Even with a strict diet and strength training 8% is tough. 10-12% is usually what you shoot for to look "shredded" to the average person.

But I get the spirit of what Magic is saying. Given how much these dudes play basketball, 7-9% should be incredibly easy to attain, in theory. It would just require eating less than the 3-4000 calories they burn and maintaining protein intake. It's not magic...heh.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

One thing you definitely can't do and be in the type of shape that's being talked about, and that's drink alcohol.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
One thing you definitely can't do and be in the type of shape that's being talked about, and that's drink alcohol.

depends on how much alcohol. These guys run so much they can probably handle a few beers and stay at 8% but it's risky for sure. The real issue is these dudes eat like pigs
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

depends on how much alcohol. These guys run so much they can probably handle a few beers and stay at 8% but it's risky for sure. The real issue is these dudes eat like pigs

Another thing is in order for these guys to run and practice and play every other night, they're going to have to be chock full of carbs. High protein is nice and everything and key to building muscle and losing fat, but carbs form their energy and in order to eat clean and still take in enough food for trying to keep the fat off while having energy to perform at peak levels & maybe try to add a little muscle, they're going to have to be eating non stop. With their travel schedule it seems pretty tough, especially since we all know they go out and drink and prolly eat a lot of crap when they go out at night on the road.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Was about to say that this was the best news Ingram's had all year. And then Magic managed to fat shame even him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Listen ya'll, interesting debate but let's not kid ourselves. Doubt more than a handful of people here even know what 8% or hell even 18% body fat looks like. Even with a strict diet and strength training 8% is tough. 10-12% is usually what you shoot for to look "shredded" to the average person.

But I get the spirit of what Magic is saying. Given how much these dudes play basketball, 7-9% should be incredibly easy to attain, in theory. It would just require eating less than the 3-4000 calories they burn and maintaining protein intake. It's not magic...heh.

And for those trying to gain size and get stronger like Brandon Ingram?

IF he came into camp at a higher than 8% body fat due to the fact he's gaining size and it's going to become muscle, is he not going to play till it happens?
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

And for those trying to gain size and get stronger like Brandon Ingram?

IF he came into camp at a higher than 8% body fat due to the fact he's gaining size and it's going to become muscle, is he not going to play till it happens?

The decision makers are not computer programs or robots where It's automatically:

If weight > 8 then playing_time =0
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

im willing to give magic johnson a pass since so far he has been fine. even the last draft i thought, along with a lot of other people, that we would be drafting okafor. we're not at the workouts, magic wasnt either, so im sure working w/ the rest of the staff he'll do alright.

the one thing i fear tho is trading the youth for a star. in one hand i want to see them grow, in another i see how having a carmelo or george in la is attractive to vet free agents, esp playing for luke
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

So I guess 8% is an unreachable dream for me, Mr. Pacifico.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

romeo wrote:
im willing to give magic johnson a pass since so far he has been fine. even the last draft i thought, along with a lot of other people, that we would be drafting okafor. we're not at the workouts, magic wasnt either, so im sure working w/ the rest of the staff he'll do alright.

the one thing i fear tho is trading the youth for a star. in one hand i want to see them grow, in another i see how having a carmelo or george in la is attractive to vet free agents, esp playing for luke

ask yourself this question

Would you like to play on a basketball team with Carmelo Anthony?

George I agree may be attractive to other FA's. But I don't even think hes a guarantee.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

Any ball dominant iso player is probably not the most attractive to play with. Just another why I think the ceiling is so high on Ball. If his game hits I can easily see FA's trying to team up with him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

The entire Lakers team this off-season

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

So I guess 8% is an unreachable dream for me, Mr. Pacifico.

I'll raise a glass to that.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

So will this be the official Magic Johnson thread or are we going to create an official one for him? There's going to be ALOT of Magic Johnson related news this off season, I think it's fair he gets his own thread.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Lebron gonna Lebron. Wow.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
So will this be the official Magic Johnson thread or are we going to create an official one for him? There's going to be ALOT of Magic Johnson related news this off season, I think it's fair he gets his own thread.

yeah...don't want people pissin and moanin all over da place...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17
Jump to: