Magic Johnson - "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
2019 wrote:

My thing is why not just come out and say "we want the players to be in the best physical space they've ever been in".

Magic Johnson:
Quote:
“We told every player that they must improve and we want them to be in the best physical shape of their lives".

...?

why mention specific #s?

They are arbitrary and every person has a different body type

I mean if you give the quote some context:

Quote:
“We told every player that they must improve and we want them to be in the best physical shape of their lives. We don’t want anybody over seven or eight percent body fat anymore, and basically all but one or two players were in double-figures in body fat (last season),” Johnson said. “We can’t have that. We told them that this is all about excellence now. So you’ve got to be disciplined and put the work in.”

That wasn't the point of his whole comment. It's nitpicked from a quote where Magic Johnson is basically saying that the Lakers demand excellence and if the players aren't putting in the work to be the best they can be then the Lakers have no room for them. It's something you want to hear from your FO, that's what the Lakers are about right?

There is no reason to get all tied up in one sentence. People acting like Magic Johnson is going to be walking around and asking everyone over 8% to leave the gym and wait for themselves to get traded.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

If that wasn't the point, there was no need for specific, pulled-out-of-ass, numbers.

That's what people are arguing -- that Magic Johnson is a little bit of a simpleton, as far as public speaking goes.

If you take his body of work (Twitter, public statements and such) -- he comes off as someone who should really stop talking as much in public.

His thoughts are very often uninspiring, trivial and poorly-supported.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Are there any stats that show a correlation between body fat % and 'good at basketball' %?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Magic had 4% body fat for the 88-89 season, arguably his best regular season ever.

here is him talking with Chick about it. Link

Zero chance he was at 4% body fat.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if body fat % is calculated differently than it was in the 80's, and Magic's unaware of that.

IIRC from other interviews at the time, it was the water displacement test that has been around for decades and still used.

Magic was probably a lot more accurate about it than you give him credit for.

No. Just no.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell at Draft Combine = 8.3%
D'Angelo Russell on the LA Board = 12.3%

Larry Nance, Jr. at Draft Combine = 6.4%
Larry Nance, Jr. on the LA Board = 10.7%

Jordan Clarkson at Draft Combine = 4.3%
Jordan Clarkson on the LA Board = 11.8%

Julius Randle at Draft Combine = 9.4%
Julius Randle on the LA Board = 12.0%

And so on and so forth. Either every single one of our players has somehow managed to gain body fat% despite being on an NBA regiment, or there are significantly different techniques about how to measure this.

http://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?SeasonYear=2014-15
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
2019 wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
2019 wrote:

My thing is why not just come out and say "we want the players to be in the best physical space they've ever been in".

Magic Johnson:
Quote:
“We told every player that they must improve and we want them to be in the best physical shape of their lives".

...?

why mention specific #s?

They are arbitrary and every person has a different body type

I mean if you give the quote some context:

Quote:
“We told every player that they must improve and we want them to be in the best physical shape of their lives. We don’t want anybody over seven or eight percent body fat anymore, and basically all but one or two players were in double-figures in body fat (last season),” Johnson said. “We can’t have that. We told them that this is all about excellence now. So you’ve got to be disciplined and put the work in.”

That wasn't the point of his whole comment. It's nitpicked from a quote where Magic Johnson is basically saying that the Lakers demand excellence and if the players aren't putting in the work to be the best they can be then the Lakers have no room for them. It's something you want to hear from your FO, that's what the Lakers are about right?

There is no reason to get all tied up in one sentence. People acting like Magic Johnson is going to be walking around and asking everyone over 8% to leave the gym and wait for themselves to get traded.

Every green 2nd Lt. Should know not to make a rule you are not going to enforce.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

And so on and so forth. Either every single one of our players has somehow managed to gain body fat% despite being on an NBA regiment, or there are significantly different techniques about how to measure this.

Wow. Crazy stats. I always thought they would lose weight like crazy playing that many games.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Wow. Crazy stats. I always thought they would lose weight like crazy playing that many games.

Probably has to do more on measurement methodology differences and not a pre versus post difference.
FedericoV
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject:

First time poster long time lurker: I apologize in advance if my english isn't perfect.

I'm a recreational triathlete. 42 years old: beside work, family and friends I manage to have 10-12% of body fat mass with 6-7 training each week. I can reach 8% when preparing a race only by cutting sweet and wine and adding some extra work.

It is proven beyond any doubt that the percentuage of lean/fat body mass affects atlethic performances by a great deal. I'm not graduated but I've read a lot of studies and books about those matters. And in my opinion (and I would say in the opinion of science itself) Magic's point is self evident.

I cannot believe that some professional who get paid milions of dollars each year only to play basketball have more than 10% of fat body mass. It's not acceptable. I get that each individual is different but those guys must be doing something wrong in term of conditioning and diet (I think the latter is the culprit, I've seen a photo of them once going to the fast food and I was astonished).
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject:

FedericoV wrote:
First time poster long time lurker: I apologize in advance if my english isn't perfect.

I'm a recreational triathlete. 42 years old: beside work, family and friends I manage to have 10-12% of body fat mass with 6-7 training each week. I can reach 8% when preparing a race only by cutting sweet and wine and adding some extra work.

It is proven beyond any doubt that the percentuage of lean/fat body mass affects atlethic performances by a great deal. I'm not graduated but I've read a lot of studies and books about those matters. And in my opinion (and I would say in the opinion of science itself) Magic's point is self evident.

I cannot believe that some professional who get paid milions of dollars each year only to play basketball have more than 10% of fat body mass. It's not acceptable. I get that each individual is different but those guys must be doing something wrong in term of conditioning and diet (I think the latter is the culprit, I've seen a photo of them once going to the fast food and I was astonished).

Great post. Always nice hearing about real life experiences.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject:

it's not that simple tho. there's a big difference between being 6'10 and 5'10
FedericoV
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
it's not that simple tho. there's a big difference between being 6'10 and 5'10

Well, Kobe stayed for the longest part of his carreer on the 8/9% treshold and he is 6' 6''. Young lakers should strive to reach that kind of model and not going to Burger King .

Edit: just to say, that the percentage Magic has been talking about is not wrong technically. He has not pulled those numbers out of his arse . I guess that the average NBA body fat mass will be around 8-10%. So 7/8% can be considered "excellence" in terms of diet and conditioning. More is not acceptable from a professional athlete.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

It could also do with building the body as well, has to be fat and then leaning it down. Could me the method in which it's happening, particularly as their bodies grow.

Again however that makes what Magic is suggesting worse.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject:

A google search of Michael Jordan body fat showed this:

Quote:
The average American male's percentage of body fat is 15-20%. The average professional athlete's is 7-8%. Jordan's body fat was measured at 4%.

I don't know whether that's accurate or not, but it at least suggests that what Magic said might not have been so ridiculous.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Shaq would not have been on this team.

Hell, among the players with retired Jerseys only Wilt and Kareem would have made the team.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject:

Nearly 10 pages of LG picking apart a Magic quote that could easily be taken as nothing more than expressing: "we want guys to be in optimal shape".

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Nearly 10 pages of LG picking apart a Magic quote that could easily be taken as nothing more than expressing: "we want guys to be in optimal shape".

It's gonna be a loooooong offseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
Are there any stats that show a correlation between body fat % and 'good at basketball' %?

Exactly. As long as we don't have Charles Barkley or Fat Shaq level players out there...(oh wait they performed just fine).
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

I take this as he wants these young guys to take their careers seriously and that means proper nutrition and working hard in the offseason, I have no problem with Magic and the Lakers having high standards of what they want players to do in the off-season. Expecting this from your players develops a winning culture something that has been sorely missed for a few years now
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject:

If it boils down to shooting 1000 shots or doing wrestler tricks to make "weight/body fat%" I would rather they focus on the former.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If it boils down to shooting 1000 shots or doing wrestler tricks to make "weight/body fat%" I would rather they focus on the former.

Body fat % when you work out as much as these guys do is more about what you eat than how you specifically train.

These guys being young I would imagine their dietary habits are awful
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Body fat % when you work out as much as these guys do is more about what you eat than how you specifically train.

I'm sure the next thing Magic says is no premarital sex too.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

almost a decade ago, I went through show prep with a friend that was preparing for a regional show....I never had any desire to compete, but I had watched so many guys get ready for shows, and it looked so difficult, I wanted to basically just test myself. I used legal and less than legal products, diuretics, carb depletion etc....I was so lean I could not walk up stairs without cramping that last week.

We were using calipers and electron scales routinely to measure out bodyfat, and I thought I was less than 10%. Two days before his contest, he went in and was hydrostatic tested in water, and I went with him. To my surprise, I was closer to 15% than 10%....and I felt like I was on deaths doorstep. We left in separate cars and he went home to rest, and I went to Outback steakhouse...I truly do not think I could ever get to 10% unless through pure starvation.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm sure the next thing Magic says is no premarital sex too.

The #1 lesson from Rocky....no boom boom during training.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

I hope the fat% is not a goal that trumps on court achievement/production. As some have said getting to 7-8% isn't an easy feat. Our kids have so many on court skills to improve let alone meeting this goal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17
Jump to: