Lakers brass doesn't think they need Jerry West; despite him wanting to return
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Maybe Jerry West's body fat% is too high for Magic's liking

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Magic Johnson on his biggest issue with Jim Buss

"[He's] trying to do it himself, trying to prove to everybody that this was the right decision, that 'my dad gave me the reins,' and he's not consulting anybody," Johnson said on ESPN's "First Take."

"His father was smart enough to understand that, you know? 'I can own the team, but I don't have the basketball expertise to make those decisions, so let me bring in Jerry West,' " said Johnson.

Magic Johnson now that he's in the same position

"We don't need Jerry West."

Guess he doesn't think it applies to him when HE is the one in charge....

So funny how Jeanie and Magic are literally becoming the precise way fans were convinced Jim was and so many aren't noticing it.

You bring up a fair point, but this is exactly why I feel this smells like Jeanie. Magic is a concensus builder, master delegater if you will. This just seems like him taking the hit for his good friend and now boss, Jeanie.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:

"[He's] trying to do it himself, trying to prove to everybody that this was the right decision, that 'my dad gave me the reins,' and he's not consulting anybody," Johnson said on ESPN's "First Take."

"His father was smart enough to understand that, you know? 'I can own the team, but I don't have the basketball expertise to make those decisions, so let me bring in Jerry West,' " said Johnson.

So funny how Jeanie and Magic are literally becoming the precise way fans were convinced Jim was and so many aren't noticing it.

You bring up a fair point, but this is exactly why I feel this smells like Jeanie. Magic is a concensus builder, master delegater if you will. This just seems like him taking the hit for his good friend and now boss, Jeanie.

Jeanie isn't the one making basketball decisions, which is why it is critical for her to have the best people she can, and why she would have no negative ego investment in West getting credit any more than she will with Magic. Her rep is going to be formed on whether she can bring in and empower people who are better than her brother and his people, and in that respect a known savant would be a no lose proposition. For her.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:

Jeanie isn't the one making basketball decisions, which is why it is critical for her to have the best people she can, and why she would have no negative ego investment in West getting credit any more than she will with Magic. Her rep is going to be formed on whether she can bring in and empower people who are better than her brother and his people, and in that respect a known savant would be a no lose proposition. For her.

I agree with you, I'm just not sure why Magic would be the one saying no given his track record, that's all. I'm just speculating and I really can't think of anything other than what went down during Phil/West era.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:

I agree with you, I'm just not sure why Magic would be the one saying no given his track record, that's all. I'm just speculating and I really can't think of anything other than what went down during Phil/West era.

His track record involves delegating to people who are better in the field than he is, but those are fields he isn't a star in. He didn't invent Starbucks or movie theaters or asset management, so he relies on people who leverage his q rating and marketing abilities.

In basketball, he was an alk time great, and has a history of strong opinions about it, and took the job of being the decision maker. His ego and belief in his own knowledge is invested here. If he succeeds it is all his. If he brings in West, not only are they likely to clash on some areas, but West is a known genius who will rob credit. There's likely a reason magic brought in a transactionally experienced agent with no front office experience. Pelinka will get credit for implementing the vision, but the vision and final hammer will be seen as magic's.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

JW convinced KD to sign and had a hand in drafting GSW core. There is no one who could get FAs and draft like JW. I don't see a problem other than Magic's ego.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:

His track record involves delegating to people who are better in the field than he is, but those are fields he isn't a star in. He didn't invent Starbucks or movie theaters or asset management, so he relies on people who leverage his q rating and marketing abilities.

In basketball, he was an alk time great, and has a history of strong opinions about it, and took the job of being the decision maker. His ego and belief in his own knowledge is invested here. If he succeeds it is all his. If he brings in West, not only are they likely to clash on some areas, but West is a known genius who will rob credit. There's likely a reason magic brought in a transactionally experienced agent with no front office experience. Pelinka will get credit for implementing the vision, but the vision and final hammer will be seen as magic's.

He better succeed then, because fans will be calling for his head especially if it becomes known that he is the one that ultimately didn't want Jerry West being a part of basketball ops.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

This was written by Ding a month earlier:

Link

Quote:
There just has to be a balance between personal goals and loyalty.

Jerry West was interested in returning to the Lakers, where son Ryan has carved out a useful role with the old and new regime, but, though Jeanie Buss will forever revere Jerry, he didn't match her vision for the future, according to NBA sources

It's one thing if it was only the heisler piece but the fact this is the 2nd time it's been brought up makes me worry. When there's smoke, there's fire as they say.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

That PJ influence. Thanks PHIL
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

For better or worse this was Jeanie's call. I would love to have Logo on board but its not the end of the world.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Any real quotes?

Indeed. Beware of Mark Heisler.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
For better or worse this was Jeanie's call. I would love to have Logo on board but its not the end of the world.

I think so.

Jerry was too close to Mitch that was too close to Jim that is not too close to his sister

I love Jerry, he did a fantastic job building dynasties and preparing Mitch to succeed him, but we have to be aware that he is no God, if not for Dr. Buss we could very well be discussing Sidney Moncrief now.

I don't thing Magic was necessarily the best name for this job, I loved him as a player even if he was never my favorite player, but man, it is getting insane here. Folks are going to blame him for North Korean President craziness the way things are going on. Guys are afraid that we can move some 2nd/3rd tier young prospects for an all star ... come on, this franchise is better than that.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

If Jerry is there, you don't so much need Magic. They would seem to be redundant and create a "too many minds in the room" situation, especially if you consider Pelinka to be one of those minds. You also have to wonder if Jeanie would feel like she was betraying Phil if she brought West in, although I don't really think that's the issue.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:

I think so.

Jerry was too close to Mitch that was too close to Jim that is not too close to his sister

I love Jerry, he did a fantastic job building dynasties and preparing Mitch to succeed him, but we have to be aware that he is no God, if not for Dr. Buss we could very well be discussing Sidney Moncrief now.

I don't thing Magic was necessarily the best name for this job, I loved him as a player even if he was never my favorite player, but man, it is getting insane here. Folks are going to blame him for North Korean President craziness the way things are going on. Guys are afraid that we can move some 2nd/3rd tier young prospects for an all star ... come on, this franchise is better than that.

I have seen it posted several times here but the Moncrief story is BS. West never wanted to draft him, he just wanted the GM to consider players other than Magic. And he was correct.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

My guess is that West would advocate for patience while the young guys grow and Golden St. goes on its run while Magic wants to be more aggressive than that. Jerry is well known to be over the top, threatening to quick over his opinion and Magic probably doesn't want to get in a situation where West, too long in the tooth to care about the politics and too well revered by fans to be ignored, might not be in favor of Magic's plan.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Math wrote:
This surprises me a bit considering Magic worked with Andrew Friedman who is all about building the brain trust.

Tbh this smells like Jeanie being petty over the Phil thing. This is just my opinion though.

If it's true. Could also be shade thrown at the new regime.

This.

And why West would want to leave the Warriors - WHERE HE IS PART OWNER - in the middle of a title run and when they apparently want him back (talking about an extension) makes no sense.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Math wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Math wrote:
This surprises me a bit considering Magic worked with Andrew Friedman who is all about building the brain trust.

Tbh this smells like Jeanie being petty over the Phil thing. This is just my opinion though.

This.

And why West would want to leave the Warriors - WHERE HE IS PART OWNER - in the middle of a title run and when they apparently want him back (talking about an extension) makes no sense.

Sometimes youbwant to go home.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

He still lives in LA, right? I remember reading he would fly up there once a month.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Math wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Math wrote:

This.

It hasn't been HIS home for 17 seasons. Moreover, one of the reasons he left (allegedly) was that Dr. Buss wouldn't give him an equity stake in the Lakers. Not only has GS done that, but the Lakers probably cannot do it now because of the way the trusts are organized.

Also, I'd rather Pelinka have as free a hand as possible. It will be tough enough with Magic looking over his shoulder and the ghost of Jimmy - still a part owner - lurking.

No, Pelinka hasn't proven jack. Neither had Gregg Popovic, Pat Riley, Danny Ainge, etc.

Jerry West was Lakers GM for 17 seasons . . . and has been gone for 17. He's 79 years old. Leave it alone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Math wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Math wrote:

This.

It hasn't been HIS home for 17 seasons. Moreover, one of the reasons he left (allegedly) was that Dr. Buss wouldn't give him an equity stake in the Lakers. Not only has GS done that, but the Lakers probably cannot do it now because of the way the trusts are organized.

Also, I'd rather Pelinka have as free a hand as possible. It will be tough enough with Magic looking over his shoulder and the ghost of Jimmy - still a part owner - lurking.

No, Pelinka hasn't proven jack. Neither had Gregg Popovic, Pat Riley, Danny Ainge, etc.

Jerry West was Lakers GM for 17 seasons . . . and has been gone for 17. He's 79 years old. Leave it alone.

He still lives in LA. You're correct that he fought with doc over money and such, and Phil getting the money he did, hooking up with the daughter, and having big sway were the ultimate killers. But he has always thought of himself as a Laker, and at his age, maybe he just wants to worknsome with his son, help out where he can, and do one last project? Nothing wrong with that.

I understand your position, but when you have access to that brain, you suck it up and say yes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject:

That is the point, there is no logical reason to dismiss West. Only emotional reasons.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

The press should hound the Laker brass on this. This is worse than the Phil non-hire.
Timing is everything and this is their one potential time to bring in Jerry West. If they do well from here, they will double down on not needing him. If they don't do well, it will look like a despiration move to try an bring him in.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

I think you add him when you have the chance to add him. There's a reason why the Grizz sucked horribly for years, he comes in, they're going to playoff contention. GSW sucks horribly for decades, he comes in, they're going deep into championship contention in a dominant way thanks to the key talent acquisitions of Klay, Steph, Draymon, and now Durant.

He's got the track record for it and I think you use him
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

Does Jerry West use stats??? haha
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I'd want West back but it's interesting that West is more popular with Laker fans when he is no longer with the team.

I'd love to read the posts here after West botched the last several drafts with the team, refused to trade Eddie Jones for Mitch Richmond in 98 which possibly cost the team a title, and then ruined the 99 season by trading Jones and Campbell for JR Reid and Glen Rice when the team was playing great basketball.

He didn't get Kobe and Shaq much help either which they could have used in 2003.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: