Dr. Michael Eric Dyson: "Kobe is the Greatest Basketball Player of All-Time"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Charles Barkley (May 21st, 2017):

[on LeBron vs Kobe]

"The guy is unbelievable and I tell people: if he's able to win the championship this year I might move him on the level with Kobe Bryant. Kobe won 5 championships, LeBron has 3. If he's able to beat the Golden State Warriors, I say... Because right now I have him and Kobe neck-&-neck. Kobe's a little ahead of him because he's got more championships. But if he's able to win this championship and beat a loaded Golden State Warriors I might put him even with the great Kobe Bryant."

Source:

Another one...
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Scottie Pippen: (May 24th, 2017)

[on LeBron]

"I don't think he's surpassed Kobe at all, no. And I don't think he should be compared to either of those players [Kobe & MJ], because they play different positions. Kobe and Michael are both 2-guards, they're both scorers. They're mostly like a Kyrie. They're looking to score the basketball when it hits their hands. They're not looking to make plays for anybody on the floor. They're not looking to be a facilitator. That's the role that LeBron plays because he's such a dominant and powerful force, and he's a great passer."

Source:

Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Paul Pierce (May 25th, 2017)

[All-Time Starting 5]

“My starting five: Magic Johnson, I’m going Michael Jordan, I’m going Kobe at the 3, I’m going Russell at the four. My center is Kareem.

Source:

Rashad McCants (June 9th, 2017):

[Kobe is the Greatest of All Time?]

“The GOAT. He’s the GOAT. He came out of highschool. He mimicked Michael Jordan, who is arguably the greatest player of all time, of course. I feel like Kobe Bryant took the game and elevated it where Michael left it. He elevated it. 81 points, the consecutive playoffs appearances, his streetball mentality. He’s a better scorer than Michael Jordan, better three-point shooter, better ball-handler, better passer. He’s not a better athlete, he’s not a better defender. They both have that champion mentality. What you can say is that he won without Shaq and Michael Jordan didn’t win without Scottie Pippen. He didn’t need any other star player. He won 2 championships without having star players. It’s all about legacy. We make the legacy of our stars all about stats. I’m talking about skill. I’m talking about pure skill and will. I just finished watching film on Michael last night, and he’s incredible. The debate of saying Michael is the greatest, you have to put it up there. But Kobe Bryant came along as the student and surpassed the master. Kobe had those guys [Magic, Bird, Kareem, Russell] to climb over as well and he has. We just don’t want to give it to him. You don’t want to give it to him because Michael is our sports Jesus. Because he did it first, he did it first. He was the first one to give us everything. How many real good players were in the league when Kobe was in the league? A lot. A lot of guys didn’t win championships because of Kobe Bryant. Give Kobe his credit.”

Source:

Kenyon Martin (June 25th, 2017)

[on Lebron]

“For me it boils down to mentality. LeBron is a hell of a talent. He makes everyone around him better, we know that. For me it comes down to mentality. And I think the closest thing to Michael Jordan, in my opinion, is Kobe Bryant. Because of the mentality. By any means necessary. They ain’t taking thirteen shots in a finals game. They go down blazing. I’ma shoot. They just not gonna’ do it, man. And I’ve never seen that [hopeless demeanor] out of Mike or Kobe. I had this conversation with my son, his friends, other people: When LeBron goes to the basket, big and strong as he is, if there’s a center up under there LeBron won’t try to dunk on him. He ain’t going up through your chest, like ‘hold this’. That’s a mentality, man. And that says a lot for somebody like me. I look at that. Dwight [Howard] was probably the best shotblocker in the league at the time. Did you see what Kobe did to him? Like, ‘Hold this! I’ma go up in your chest. You a shotblocker? Watch this!’ It’s a mentality.”

Source:

Michael Jordan (August 2nd, 2017)

[would you rank LeBron over Kobe?]

“Would I rank LeBron over Kobe in terms of best of all time? No. There’s something about 5 that beats 3. Now [LeBron] may be mad at me now, but Kobe won five championships. LeBron won three -- although he's been to seven Finals."

Source:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20227286/michael-jordan-ranks-kobe-bryant-lebron-james

Kenyon Martin (August 3rd, 2017)

[Kobe over LeBron?]

“Yeah, I’m Team Kobe. But that’s just me. I played against both guys. More Kobe being in the West, seeing that first hand. Taking nothing away from LeBron, but I’m Team Kobe. [Because?] Just mentality. He’s the closest thing, in my opinion, to Michael Jordan.”

Source:

Demarcus Cousins (August 3rd, 2017)

[NBA Mt. Rushmore?]

“Magic Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal… this is tough man,” Cousins giggled. “Michael Jordan. I think LeBron James is one of the greatest all-time, but right now Kobe Bryant.”

Source:
http://www.opencourt-basketball.com/demarcus-cousins-reveals-time-mt-rushmore/

Markelle Fultz (August 12th, 2017):

[Kobe vs LeBron]

“I think Kobe’s better but that’s no knock on LeBron. But Kobe’s, I mean, the next thing after Jordan, really. Championships do have a role to play with it, but when you just look at the work that Kobe has done, it’s unbelievable.”

Source:
https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnba/i-think-kobe-is-better-than-lebron-76ers-rookie-guard-markelle-fultz

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-markelle-fultz-picks-kobe-bryant-over-lebron-james/2017/08/12/

Kevin Durant (August 23rd, 2017)

“I don’t remember the conversation but I can remember that I was very very... I was shaking. Kobe is a god to me, basketball-wise. So just to see him actually know my name at that time... I was 18... it was surreal,” Durant said of his first time meeting Bryant.

Source:
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/8/23/16193232/la-lakers-news-kobe-bryant-kevin-durant-basketball-god-first-meet-birthday

Charles Barkley (September 7th, 2017)

“It’s my list. 1) Michael, 2) Oscar, 3) Wilt, 4) Bill Russell, and 5) Kareem. Kobe’s 6. LeBron’s 7. Then you got 8) Jerry West, 9)Elgin Baylor, 10) Tim Duncan, 11) Larry Bird, and 12) Magic Johnson.”

Source:
https://twitter.com/CSNPhilly/status/905555475936235520

Kyrie Irving (September 18th, 2017)

[Kobe or LeBron?]

“Man, they’re both up there. But in terms of who my favorite player is? My dad first, Kobe second. You know how I feel about that.”

Source:
https://twitter.com/FirstTake/status/909835968731021312
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

That is a big stretch.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
That is a big stretch.

Had to catch up.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
That is a big stretch.

nothing is a big stretch when a superstar first ballot hall of famer, that has scored 62 points in 3 qtrs out scoring an entire top 3 offensive team, while also dropping 81 points to win a game where his team was down by almost 20 points. and the same person has 5 rings going thru some of if not these toughest competition due to playing in the best/toughest conference.

Yeah. not a stretch at all to call that person #1. Now you dont have to agree. You can state why you think its Kareem, Jordan, Magic, Larry...No I aint given big bill russ the nod. His team was beyond stacked those years he won all those rings. pretty much anyone would've won that many rings in that era if they had that kind of stacked team. Wilt didnt win enough. sorry stilt. Bron would be up there but he plays in a super weak conference so its a free ticket to the finals. I can't talk about bron having X amt of finals appearances like thats some great achievement that non of the guys from the past could do. when in reality non of the guys from the past played in an eastern conference that has been THIS bad for this long.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

And the list just keeps growing!!! (although someone did an epic dissertation about Wilt being GOAT somewhere in this forum, very well written)
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
And the list just keeps growing!!! (although someone did an epic dissertation about Wilt being GOAT somewhere in this forum, very well written)

I would love to read that.

Do you happen to have a link or remember what the thread title was?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
mookielala wrote:
That is a big stretch.

nothing is a big stretch when a superstar first ballot hall of famer, that has scored 62 points in 3 qtrs out scoring an entire top 3 offensive team, while also dropping 81 points to win a game where his team was down by almost 20 points. and the same person has 5 rings going thru some of if not these toughest competition due to playing in the best/toughest conference.

Yeah. not a stretch at all to call that person #1. Now you dont have to agree. You can state why you think its Kareem, Jordan, Magic, Larry...No I aint given big bill russ the nod. His team was beyond stacked those years he won all those rings. pretty much anyone would've won that many rings in that era if they had that kind of stacked team. Wilt didnt win enough. sorry stilt. Bron would be up there but he plays in a super weak conference so its a free ticket to the finals. I can't talk about bron having X amt of finals appearances like thats some great achievement that non of the guys from the past could do. when in reality non of the guys from the past played in an eastern conference that has been THIS bad for this long.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
mookielala wrote:
That is a big stretch.

I'd say there are 8 or 9 players who you could make the case for being GOAT, though in most of the cases you need to be a big fan of a particular player to wholeheartedly believe it.

By and large, I'd say the only players who have significant support for GOAT, outside their personal fan base, are MJ and Kareem, though Wilt does have some support because of his mythic numbers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

Wilt's numbers weren't myth.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I'd say there are 8 or 9 players who you could make the case for being GOAT, though in most of the cases you need to be a big fan of a particular player to wholeheartedly believe it.

By and large, I'd say the only players who have significant support for GOAT, outside their personal fan base, are MJ and Kareem, though Wilt does have some support because of his mythic numbers.

Add Bill Russell to that list, for essentially the same reason as Wilt. His support has waned over the decades, but there is still a faction of people who are fixated by all the rings.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
mookielala wrote:
That is a big stretch.

activ, not true on the part about "outside of their fanbase"

people dont mention kareem who are not serious fans of post play and old school bigs..not even laker fans mention kareem that arent from his era unless they are big men fans. which means they are fans of kareem.

Everyone is a MJ fan. The nba made it so. the shoes did the rest, the logo was over kill. you hear kids who have never seen jordan play swear that jordan is the greatest. how/why? because they were TOLD So.

MJ being the greatest in America is like Putin being the greatest in Russia. The media said it was so. Therefore it was so. NO discussions.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

making a case for wilt is the same as making a case for bron in this era.

you have two guys by stats and eyesight that say what is it that these guys can't do? shoot jumpers i guess. but thats about it.

wilt had silly numbers. comic book super hero numbers. but so did a few guys in that old school era. was it the comp? probably. but were these guys gods among mortals? possibly.

what happens if shaq played in the nba in 1950? what on earth would that look like?

What if hakeem played in 1950?

What happens if Tim Duncan plays in the 50's? Kevin garnet? Lebron?
Kobe? Magic?

Would they also have comic book stats?

And something I've noticed after watching some old Wilt clips. Wilt chamberlain is more like Dwight howard and less like shaq or other bigs, especially those like hakeem, kareem, etc. that had really good post moves. thats why when people say wilt would've beat shaq on the block. i say not so fast. wilt was the better athlete and was very strong. BUT he didnt have the footwork of even shaq. 90% of his stuff is based on his height, length, and crazy athleticism and those monster hands. not necessarily skill. but thats not a bad thing. wilt was just that an athletic specimen. he was really just an all around athlete who just so happened was 7'0+ tall. so someone said try your hand and basketball.

remember dwight pre back issues was giving you 20 20 games and dwight is barely 6'10 in reality. What would happen if he was 7'1 with the super wilt reach? he would've put up even crazier numbers based purely on athletic ability and size. not skill.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Not arguing whether Wilt is GOAT or not but can't remember for the life of me where I saw that epic post arguing Wilt as GOAT... very well written
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
MJ being the greatest in America is like Putin being the greatest in Russia. The media said it was so. Therefore it was so. NO discussions.

Eh, I've never been impressed with that narrative. Anyone over the age of 30 or so saw MJ play with their own eyes. Every great athlete gets a lot of media hype, but MJ is no more a media creation than Wayne Gretzky or Tom Brady.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Not arguing whether Wilt is GOAT or not but can't remember for the life of me where I saw that epic post arguing Wilt as GOAT... very well written

Look for threads including posts from Dantheman. Dan is the guy who produces the YouTube videos about Wilt. He may not have written the post you're looking for, but he probably posted something in the thread.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Batguano, that's an awesome list.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
remember dwight pre back issues was giving you 20 20 games and dwight is barely 6'10 in reality. What would happen if he was 7'1 with the super wilt reach? he would've put up even crazier numbers based purely on athletic ability and size. not skill.

I tend to be a skeptic when it comes to Wilt, but I'll take his side on this one. Wilt had more desire in his pinky finger than Dwight had in his whole body. Wilt was far from a flawless player, but he was a consummate showman who obviously loved the game. I believe that great players from any era would find a way to make it in the current era, even if it means that they had to totally reinvent themselves. That's because great players have the drive to be great. Dwight doesn't have that.

Otherwise, I generally agree with what you're saying. It's just that Dwight Howard is not the example I would have picked.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

Eh, I've never been impressed with that narrative. Anyone over the age of 30 or so saw MJ play with their own eyes. Every great athlete gets a lot of media hype, but MJ is no more a media creation than Wayne Gretzky or Tom Brady.

MJ's Play, plus the fact the nba was in a downturn at the time. Plus stern and the nba pushing him as the nba's best player. and Nike pushing him as the greatest thing on earth ever. and now that he has had some of the hottest looking shoes, with the nba hype, with the media hype. his legend will never die unlike say How good kareem really was in his prime. no new era kid is talking about how great cap was. But yet they will swear to you that jordan was the best when they didnt watch either guy play.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

MJ's Play, plus the fact the nba was in a downturn at the time. Plus stern and the nba pushing him as the nba's best player. and Nike pushing him as the greatest thing on earth ever. and now that he has had some of the hottest looking shoes, with the nba hype, with the media hype. his legend will never die unlike say How good kareem really was in his prime. no new era kid is talking about how great cap was. But yet they will swear to you that jordan was the best when they didnt watch either guy play.

Maybe a lil bit:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/19/investing/adidas-nike-under-armour-sneakers/index.html
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is one of the most dominating players ever if not the most dominating. I mean if you took Lebron out of the lineup, the Cavs might even miss the playoffs this season. Lebron made Lue, Spoelstra and Brown look like HOF coaches. Look at these teams and coaches with and without Lebron and you'll see the huge difference. If you took Kobe out of the Lakers, the Lakers would still make the playoffs easily. Kobe didn't miss a lot of games with the Lakers but when he was out, the Lakers was still formidable. I think the Lakers had a winning percentage under Phil Jackson with Kobe out of the lineup.

I didn't get to see MJ play much but there's no doubt he had the most profound impact on the game. He's a true legend that's still very fresh in people's mind today. Basketball fans or not, it's hard to find a person on this planet who doesn't know who MJ is.

My ranking

1. MJ
2. Lebron
3. Magic
4. Duncan
5. Kobe
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

MJ is número uno....
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Lebron is one of the most dominating players ever if not the most dominating. I mean if you took Lebron out of the lineup, the Cavs might even miss the playoffs this season. Lebron made Lue, Spoelstra and Brown look like HOF coaches. Look at these teams and coaches with and without Lebron and you'll see the huge difference. If you took Kobe out of the Lakers, the Lakers would still make the playoffs easily. Kobe didn't miss a lot of games with the Lakers but when he was out, the Lakers was still formidable. I think the Lakers had a winning percentage under Phil Jackson with Kobe out of the lineup.

I didn't get to see MJ play much but there's no doubt he had the most profound impact on the game. He's a true legend that's still very fresh in people's mind today. Basketball fans or not, it's hard to find a person on this planet who doesn't know who MJ is.

My ranking

1. MJ
2. Lebron
3. Magic
4. Duncan
5. Kobe

Just curious, were you born before or after 1998?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

My ranking

1. MJ
2. Lebron
3. Magic
4. Duncan
5. Kobe

Just curious, were you born before or after 1998?

Yeah, Duncan has no place in the top 5, Kobe ? Debatable. LeBron? We'll see. BUT, MJ, Magic & KAJ = definitely. Wilt, Kobe and others open for perspective debate; but many great players in the basketball lifetime; IMO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24
Jump to: