IndyStar: "Because if next season is not different, Paul George is probably gone to his hometown Los Angeles Lakers."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
nash wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
governator wrote:
Well, if FO gets PG via trade, they'll have to construct a 'contending' team now. Meaning sign big names to play with PG, most likely Griffin or Melo via trade at the 4. Then prob flip the remaining youths for let's say Brook Lopez and a 'name' back court vet that's 'get-able... like Rondo and sign D.Rose. The rest will have to be plug in min $ players. We can be looking at (assuming the youths are gone and One of Mozdeng is traded):
Rondo, Rose, Ennis
SG, Brewer, third string guard
Paul George, back up Wing, third string wing
Blake/Melo, Deng, back up big
Lopez, back up Big

This is my nightmare.

Yet I am convinced that it is better then 50/50 this type of overhaul is coming.

I don't like the names, but I would love to see a roster overhaul if we can get a few all stars still young enough to play at a high level through the extension of a new contract.

If we can find ways to trade for Paul George and Butler still keeping young talent it would be perfect and we can still sign a top free agent.

Keeping one or two good prospects is like developing Kobe with Shaq here, developing Magic with Kareem, developing Bynum with Kobe and Pau.

I believe it is tough to develop young players in a loosing program, I believe it is desirable to keep a couple of young assets while you have a team able to win games.

Make an asset top priority, like Miami when they told we could have anyone but Wade for Shaq.

An example of good offseason for me if we keep a high lottery pick and it is not #1 would be:

Trading Russell, Houston pick and future picks for PG.
Trading lottery pick, Julius and future picks for Butler (better contract than PG).
Sign Curry or CP3 (Curry first choice due his age)

Curry/CP3
Butler
PG
Deng
Mozgov

This team can contend or at least compete while we keep young talent in Ingram, Zubac, Nance and JC.

I'm bringing PG and Butler names because those guys are still young and they are giving signals that they would like to get moved. With players of this caliber I believe we become a solid destination for tier 1 free agents and veterans chasing a title.

If you wish, swap Ingram for Dlo or the pick, it is about who do you perceive as your "must keep" prospect while you try to retain a few complimentary young pieces like Nance.

Names like Melo, Rose and other veterans past their primes you try to land for cheap later when you have a roster full of talent.

There are other scenarios like drafting Fultz, trading for PG and signing Hayward.

The idea is going for a sure thing that is still young enough to play for years at a high level while keeping some young talent going forward.

I agree with this for the most part. I'm am cool with flipping picks and young guys for some mid career talent. I think Melo is settling into the twilight of his career, Rose is a low character guy for sure and I feel the same about rondo and I've never liked lopez.

If the general idea is

Keep BI, ZU

and flip everything else we have for guys like PG and Butler then I'm good with it....we just can't get hosed in a deal.

PG - Randle/JC/#28 pick
Butler - DLO/Nance/Top 3 pick

Butler
BI
George
Deng (for now)
Mos (for now)

with Zu learning in the back is a pretty decent team. If BI blows up, it's a deep playoff team...if ZU blows up in 3-4 years, we make a run at a title. I'm sure that's as good as any plan our FO has .

No chance Bird accepts that trade especially if Butler costs that much. It'd take one of out top 3 picks at least(Dlo, Ingram, #3). Boston will come with a better package if our best offer is Randle/JC and #28. Nets pick in 2018 will allow Bird to select the player he wants.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He can join Kevin Love here.
I'd be cool with that pipe if by some miracle we kept Dlo and slim.
raykanishka
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
and actually I would keep Ariza. and go

Harden
Bev/Lou
George/Gordon
Ariza/Anderson
Capella/Nene

Harden is too ball dominant, PG's effectiveness would be neutered playing in that system
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
governator wrote:
Well, if FO gets PG via trade, they'll have to construct a 'contending' team now. Meaning sign big names to play with PG, most likely Griffin or Melo via trade at the 4. Then prob flip the remaining youths for let's say Brook Lopez and a 'name' back court vet that's 'get-able... like Rondo and sign D.Rose. The rest will have to be plug in min $ players. We can be looking at (assuming the youths are gone and One of Mozdeng is traded):
Rondo, Rose, Ennis
SG, Brewer, third string guard
Paul George, back up Wing, third string wing
Blake/Melo, Deng, back up big
Lopez, back up Big

This is my nightmare.

Yet I am convinced that it is better then 50/50 this type of overhaul is coming.

I don't like the names, but I would love to see a roster overhaul if we can get a few all stars still young enough to play at a high level through the extension of a new contract.

If we can find ways to trade for Paul George and Butler still keeping young talent it would be perfect and we can still sign a top free agent.

Keeping one or two good prospects is like developing Kobe with Shaq here, developing Magic with Kareem, developing Bynum with Kobe and Pau.

I believe it is tough to develop young players in a loosing program, I believe it is desirable to keep a couple of young assets while you have a team able to win games.

Make an asset top priority, like Miami when they told we could have anyone but Wade for Shaq.

An example of good offseason for me if we keep a high lottery pick and it is not #1 would be:

Trading Russell, Houston pick and future picks for PG.
Trading lottery pick, Julius and future picks for Butler (better contract than PG).
Sign Curry or CP3 (Curry first choice due his age)

Curry/CP3
Butler
PG
Deng
Mozgov

This team can contend or at least compete while we keep young talent in Ingram, Zubac, Nance and JC.

I'm bringing PG and Butler names because those guys are still young and they are giving signals that they would like to get moved. With players of this caliber I believe we become a solid destination for tier 1 free agents and veterans chasing a title.

If you wish, swap Ingram for Dlo or the pick, it is about who do you perceive as your "must keep" prospect while you try to retain a few complimentary young pieces like Nance.

Names like Melo, Rose and other veterans past their primes you try to land for cheap later when you have a roster full of talent.

There are other scenarios like drafting Fultz, trading for PG and signing Hayward.

The idea is going for a sure thing that is still young enough to play for years at a high level while keeping some young talent going forward.

You spin a good tale. I would be in favor of your roster over the other presented.

IMO you are being a bit optimistic in your trade proposals and not sure how many "future picks" you are considering. Curry or Paul ?

But that certainly would be a competitive roster and a "win now" scenario.

If the Laker FO can pull that off I will gladly give them the respect they deserve for doing so.

Funny that in five years this board is likely discussing "tanking", lottery protections and the lack of any free agents signing with a 20 win team all over again.

It is not a "bit optimistic", it is one of the best case scenarios. The thing I would remember about Mitch forever is that we didn't know anything about his moves until he had a formidable trade done.

This is not only about winning now, but if you can keep a few promising young prospects you are not throwing away the future for a few wins. Like most posters I'm completely against trading our prospects for an aged veteran, but I believe we have collected enough assets to start moving towards contention.

Last edited by nash on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

paul George is great, but he led his pacers to the 8 seed in the weak east. the warriors would laugh for the next several years at a George-led lakers squad. would 8th in the west be better than where we are now? of course. but only one kind of banner hangs in staples center -- and it's not a banner for a playoff appearance, division title or conference crown.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

vdogg11 wrote:
paul George is great, but he led his pacers to the 8 seed in the weak east. the warriors would laugh for the next several years at a George-led lakers squad. would 8th in the west be better than where we are now? of course. but only one kind of banner hangs in staples center -- and it's not a banner for a playoff appearance, division title or conference crown.

He is the first domino not the last.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
22 wrote:
I think he gets moved to Boston in the summer.

Then I hope he leaves them high and dry next offseason and comes here

In reality, if he gets traded, he probably stays a Celtic. Sadly. But what you said would be ideal.

True true.

Would they still have enough money to pay Hayward?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
vdogg11 wrote:

cool story. have you heard about the new CBA? as appealing as magic's smile is, it will always pale in comparison to ben franklin's visage.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mitch Lawrence of Sporting News, who postures that Magic Johnson should be wary of building around George.

A SoCal native, he’s (George) been talking about playing for his hometown team, the Lakers, for a long time. He’s never made his long-term intentions a secret within the Pacers’ locker room, according to former teammates. He wants to wear the purple and gold.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/4/24/15411986/la-lakers-trade-rumors-paul-george-wants-to-wear-purple-and-gold?utm_campaign=silverscreenandroll&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

vdogg11 wrote:
nash wrote:
vdogg11 wrote:

cool story. have you heard about the new CBA? as appealing as magic's smile is, it will always pale in comparison to ben franklin's visage.

Sure, that is why if you can trade for a legit player that is disgruntled you do it.

The question here is "what our chances?" not "should we do it?".
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
vdogg11 wrote:
nash wrote:
vdogg11 wrote:

Sure, that is why if you can trade for a legit player that is disgruntled you do it.

The question here is "what our chances?" not "should we do it?".

really? that disgruntled player could be a FA next summer and you could get him without having to give up anything at all.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

this reminds me of the Pau Gasol rumors years ago. There was so much smoke... then it didn't seem like it was going to happen and then... BOOM!

I think Magic is going to go for it. Indy is going to be asking for too much over the summer but at the trade deadline? Lose PG for nothing or trade him somewhere? Hopefully, our new front office is cold and calculating on this one. Keep building, keep adding draft pieces and young players that couldn't get playing time elsewhere like the "Bazemores" and "Arizas" we've picked up in the past then - throw them in a pot and cash in.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

You do any research on what Paul George might think of playing the 4? I think there's some out there...

If we retained Ingram (and Deng for that matter) while landing George, I think LA has he modern PF spot covered. George could stay on the wing.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

George isnt going anywhere if he gets voted on one of the All NBA teams, he isnt going to give up that money
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Jumping over lots of sharks in this thread.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
George isnt going anywhere if he gets voted on one of the All NBA teams, he isnt going to give up that money

Lakers can't offer the same if they trade for him?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:

I wonder how many votes he gets because the media member knows $70 Million is on the line....and the voting is public.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
tox wrote:
22 wrote:
I think he gets moved to Boston in the summer.

Then I hope he leaves them high and dry next offseason and comes here

In reality, if he gets traded, he probably stays a Celtic. Sadly. But what you said would be ideal.

True true.

Would they still have enough money to pay Hayward?

They should be able to, if the owner is willing to pay Hayward and George $30M each.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
pmacla wrote:

No, it has to be with the team that drafted you I believe. But trading for him would still allow us the chance to pay him more than the field.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
pmacla wrote:

nope only team that drafted you can offer the supermax, Kings screwed Cousins out his chance to get a supermax when they traded him
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
pmacla wrote:

I wonder how many votes he gets because the media member knows $70 Million is on the line....and the voting is public.

if you where his agent wouldnt ya have given some envelopes of cash to some voters to get him on one of those teams
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

raykanishka wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Harden
Bev/Lou
George/Gordon
Ariza/Anderson
Capella/Nene

Harden is too ball dominant, PG's effectiveness would be neutered playing in that system

I disagree...PG is a 37% career 3 pt shooter. and his main skills offensively include that and attacking the basket...You are right his shot attempts may go down but his %s would god up.

His defense is also elite and he can guard multiple possessions....don't understand how those areas of his game would be effective...He would be contributing to a winning team.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
governator wrote:
pmacla wrote:

No, it has to be with the team that drafted you I believe. But trading for him would still allow us the chance to pay him more than the field.

if your traded on your initial rookie contract, the team that acquires you can offer also....so if we traded DLo to Indy, and he stayed there and met the requirements, I am pretty sure they could offer it to him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
raykanishka wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Harden
Bev/Lou
George/Gordon
Ariza/Anderson
Capella/Nene

I disagree...PG is a 37% career 3 pt shooter. and his main skills offensively include that and attacking the basket...You are right his shot attempts may go down but his %s would god up.

His defense is also elite and he can guard multiple possessions....don't understand how those areas of his game would be effective...He would be contributing to a winning team.

he rarely attacks the basket
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
raykanishka wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Harden
Bev/Lou
George/Gordon
Ariza/Anderson
Capella/Nene

he rarely attacks the basket

PG in Rockets system would have plenty of lanes to attack the basket...and with his leaping ability is a great finisher. To question whether he would fit there is pretty ridiculous...He is a prototypical dantoni player IMO...

Can play and guard multiple positions, shoots the 3 at a high level, and can finish above the rim.

he would be an insane version of Shawn Marion.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18
Jump to: