IndyStar: "Because if next season is not different, Paul George is probably gone to his hometown Los Angeles Lakers."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lol

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244356/GMs-Calling-2017-NBA-Draft-Strongest-In-A-Decade

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/806352951430316032

Where are these strong drafts that people speak of?

In the past decade, he would go top 2 or top 3 in all of them.

This is a strong draft.

He would have been maybe 3rd last year, probably 5th the year before and probably 8th or 9th the year before that.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lol

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244356/GMs-Calling-2017-NBA-Draft-Strongest-In-A-Decade

This is a strong draft.

He would have been maybe 3rd last year, probably 5th the year before and probably 8th or 9th the year before that.

Wow.

2016: Simmons still likely #1, he's better than everyone else.
2015: Better than everyone except KAT.

2014: I would take him over Wiggins, Parker, an injured Embiid. Not even close to 8th or 9th. Marcus Smart ahead of him? How about Exum, Gordon, Randle? Come on now.

You are really reaching.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

I think this is the weakest draft since 2013. That year, Fultz and Ball would both be in consideration for the #1 pick, just like this year. But I don't think either would be in any of the years 2014, 2015 or 2016.

In 2014, I think Fultz/Ball would go anywhere between 3-7, and Jackson would go anywhere between 6-10. In 2015, I think Fultz/Ball would go anywhere between 2-4, and Jackson would go anywhere between 5-10. In 2016, I think Fultz/Ball would go anywhere between 2-6, and Jackson would go between 3-10. This year, I could even see Jackson sliding to as low as 5-6.

Personally, I don't think Jackson's upside is any greater right now than Randle's was when Randle came out of school, yet Jackson will probably be drafted earlier. Not all draft picks are created equal.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Well if we're all giving our projections of where Fultz would be drafted then I'll chime in too.This is mainly taking into account how hyped these prospects were at the time of the draft and not how they turned out to be.

2016- Competing for the 2nd pick with Brandon Ingram but I think we would have selected BI regardless
2015- Competing for the second pick with DLO and I have a feeling that the Lakers would have taken Fultz in this case because of how much more athletic he is. I could actually see Fultz going first simply because I don't remember anyone projecting Towns to be as good as he turned out to be.
2014- Wiggins would still go first and Fultz would be the second pick above Jabari Parker.
2013- Markelle Fultz would clearly be the best prospect but Cavs are probably dumb enough to still take Bennett lmao
2012- Second after Anthony Davis
2011- First
2010- Second
2009- Second
2008- First, Second or Third
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject:

who is the best scorer of the bunch? thats who i'd try to go after.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
We can't have Zubac starting and be a good team, but otherwise yes, that would be a beautiful lineup if given a couple of years.
you think his defense is that bad? I'm hoping for a big defensive improvement from him next year, and even more improvement in the year after that (2018 after we sign George).

I do. I think he can improve but he's a couple of years away from being a quality starter. I feel similarly about Ingram as too and it will also almost certainly be true of whatever 19/20 year old we draft as well.
yeah that's realistic. These guys are very young, so even those of us who are extremely high on their upside (I expect Zubac to be an All Star and Ingram to be a top 10 player) shouldn't expect too much from them short term. Ingram and Zu will be 21 in 2018.

However, they will also be in their third years. And a lot of players start to break out around year three. We shall see.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
Well if we're all giving our projections of where Fultz would be drafted then I'll chime in too.This is mainly taking into account how hyped these prospects were at the time of the draft and not how they turned out to be.

2016- Competing for the 2nd pick with Brandon Ingram but I think we would have selected BI regardless

There's been some analysis that has Ingram's stock on par with Jonathan Issac's in this draft. So last year's 2nd pick could be this year's 8th-10th. Pretty deep.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

There's been some analysis that has Ingram's stock on par with Jonathan Issac's in this draft. So last year's 2nd pick could be this year's 8th-10th. Pretty deep.

They have been compared as potentially similar players IF Isaac develops... but Ingram was much more advanced at this point than Isaac, and is also more athletic despite having similar builds.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

Ingram was more advanced offensively than Isaac is at the same point, IMO.

I think Ingram would have gone 4th or 5th in this draft.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

I remember saying back in December that Ingram had he stayed a second year would drop in the draft about that far due to the new "Freshman" toys in the draft of Fultz, Giles, Ball, Jackson, Smith, Tatum, whatever backcourt Kentucky has, and Jonathan Isaac(aka the new "REAL NEXT KD")

Giles and Smith dropped, so it seems Ingram would go about 4th or 5th though I think he'd be a top 3 talent regardless of where he was drafted.

I am glad however that Ingram has shown much more than he did in December, as it really seemed to click after the goose-egg game vs Boston. So I hope he keeps riding that momentum throughout the off-season and into next.

I'm needing some "off-season training montage" videos right now lol like we kept getting with Clarkson a few years back.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think this is the weakest draft since 2013. That year, Fultz and Ball would both be in consideration for the #1 pick, just like this year. But I don't think either would be in any of the years 2014, 2015 or 2016.

In 2014, I think Fultz/Ball would go anywhere between 3-7, and Jackson would go anywhere between 6-10. In 2015, I think Fultz/Ball would go anywhere between 2-4, and Jackson would go anywhere between 5-10. In 2016, I think Fultz/Ball would go anywhere between 2-6, and Jackson would go between 3-10. This year, I could even see Jackson sliding to as low as 5-6.

Personally, I don't think Jackson's upside is any greater right now than Randle's was when Randle came out of school, yet Jackson will probably be drafted earlier. Not all draft picks are created equal.

I have about the same opinion I just believe Fultz is a tier above Ball, but I can't see someone picking him before KAT or a health Embiid. I find Jackson's comparison to Randle pretty accurate. I believe Dlo is a better prospect than Ball and what makes me think Fultz is a better prospect than him is the eye test, because they had pretty similar college stats.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I have about the same opinion I just believe Fultz is a tier above Ball, but I can't see someone picking him before KAT or a health Embiid. I find Jackson's comparison to Randle pretty accurate. I believe Dlo is a better prospect than Ball and what makes me think Fultz is a better prospect than him is the eye test, because they had pretty similar college stats.

less baggage too...
january
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lol

This is a strong draft.

He would have been 1st last year, on Towns tier in 2015 and 1st in 2014.
january
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

I thought about 2015-17 combine draft.

1-2 : Fultz and Towns
3-6 Ingram, Porzingis, Russell and Simmons
7-13 Booker, Tatum, Isaac, Jackson, Smith, Ball and Myles

2014? No one in 1st tier, maybe Wiggins in 2nd (but i prefer 3rd) , Jabari and Embiid (injuries) in 3rd tier.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Alright. Which one of you guys did it?
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject:

Oh yes!!!!! PG on Kimmel.

An amazing clip. Indy's leverage in any trade talks just plummeted. As that video gets around the league, other GMs aren't going to want to take the chance that PG walks, because that clip gives the idea of PG wanting to be a Laker a lot more weight than just hearing rumblings from his agents.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy small market owners and GMs when that clip goes around the NBA, as teams see that the Lakers with capspace and Magic as the frontman are going to be their worst nightmare.

Every small market owner is going to (bleep) themselves at the thought of their young-ish star being the next guy on Kimmel being asked about the Lakers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA pass some sort of rule that would forbid players from talking about other teams in public, in the same way that teams are forbidden from talking about other teams' players. This is going to sound off alarm bells in small market FOs across the league.

Which is just one more reason that it was so great to see.

The Lakers are on their way back. It's going to take a few more years, but the revenge tour is going to be sweet.

Last edited by babyskyhook on Tue May 16, 2017 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:

JK: "Have you talked to Kobe yet about coming to the Lakers"
PG: "Not yet, not yet....I plan on working out with him and ...pick his brain a little bit"

It sounded to me like the "pick his brain" part was in reference to what it would be like to be the star of the Lakers. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but I've never seen an athlete under contract talk about another team like that.

Amazing!!!! PG is going to look great in the P&G.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject:

Paul George as THE GUY on the Lakers takes us nowhere. He'd have to be the second best player on the team if we wanted to contend for a championship. Just how it is and where he is as a player.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Paul George as THE GUY on the Lakers takes us nowhere. He'd have to be the second best player on the team if we wanted to contend for a championship. Just how it is and where he is as a player.

So would you prefer not to sign him as a FA and hope Lebron will sign up here instead ?

Right now, this team isn't even competing for the playoffs. Adding one of the three to five best two-way players in the game would be huge for the Lakers in multiple ways. Once PG is on board, along with the young guys developing more, you can start looking to add an even better player, but you don't say no to PG if he wants to play in LA.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject:

Amazing how much hate and disdain for Magic/Pelinka by the long-running posters on this board. You can just feel the anger in their postings. I'm exhilarated that Jim Buss is gone and this duo is "righting" the ship. Maybe I'm wrong in being optimistic but I don't think so.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
Amazing how much hate and disdain for Magic/Pelinka by the long-running posters on this board. You can just feel the anger in their postings. I'm exhilarated that Jim Buss is gone and this duo is "righting" the ship. Maybe I'm wrong in being optimistic but I don't think so.

I've been around on LG for a bit and I was definitely one of the ones opposed to the execution of Jeannie's takeover as well as Magic's part in it. But, in the end, I am a Laker fan and have realized that the Moz/Deng deals were definitely grounds for firing and that the new regime thus far, have not been the unmitigated disaster I had feared they would be. The next two seasons are crucial in determining their vision, whether they keep their pick or not but I have began to lean on the optimistic side until something they actually do gives me a reason to think otherwise. So far, so good.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
MJST wrote:

So would you prefer not to sign him as a FA and hope Lebron will sign up here instead ?

Right now, this team isn't even competing for the playoffs. Adding one of the three to five best two-way players in the game would be huge for the Lakers in multiple ways. Once PG is on board, along with the young guys developing more, you can start looking to add an even better player, but you don't say no to PG if he wants to play in LA.

Adding a 28 year old all star that, as you noted, is a 2-way player who also would LOVE playing in purple and gold is definitely cause for scrutiny.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

I've been around on LG for a bit and I was definitely one of the ones opposed to the execution of Jeannie's takeover as well as Magic's part in it. But, in the end, I am a Laker fan and have realized that the Moz/Deng deals were definitely grounds for firing and that the new regime thus far, have not been the unmitigated disaster I had feared they would be. The next two seasons are crucial in determining their vision, whether they keep their pick or not but I have began to lean on the optimistic side until something they actually do gives me a reason to think otherwise. So far, so good.

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lol

This draft is good and all, but it's not that good. It's not.

It's a deep draft with starpower, but I really don't think there's standout prospects who are destined for stardom this year. It is a deep draft though.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Oh yes!!!!! PG on Kimmel.

An amazing clip. Indy's leverage in any trade talks just plummeted. As that video gets around the league, other GMs aren't going to want to take the chance that PG walks, because that clip gives the idea of PG wanting to be a Laker a lot more weight than just hearing rumblings from his agents.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy small market owners and GMs when that clip goes around the NBA, as teams see that the Lakers with capspace and Magic as the frontman are going to be their worst nightmare.

Every small market owner is going to (bleep) themselves at the thought of their young-ish star being the next guy on Kimmel being asked about the Lakers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA pass some sort of rule that would forbid players from talking about other teams in public, in the same way that teams are forbidden from talking about other teams' players. This is going to sound off alarm bells in small market FOs across the league.

Which is just one more reason that it was so great to see.

The Lakers are on their way back. It's going to take a few more years, but the revenge tour is going to be sweet.

PG wants that designated player exception, he doesn't want to be traded. That includes the Lakers. If he is traded, he likely won't give up his Bird Rights. The same scam that Cousins tried.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 13 of 18
Jump to: