Magic to Jeanie before he took over: "I don’t know if you have the player yet... I would build the team around Luke.’”
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Magic to Jeanie before he took over: "I don’t know if you have the player yet... I would build the team around Luke.’”

Before Magic took the job, Jeanie Buss asked him about what direction the Lakers should go in, regarding the personnel on the roster at that time. The answer is not all that surprising, and could explain why so many think the Lakers are in for quite a facelift in the coming months.

Here’s how she described it, via the Open Run Podcast, with Jesse Williams and Stefan Marolachakis.

Quote:
“I asked him who he would build the team around. He thought about it for a second and he said, ‘I don’t know if you have the player yet... I would build the team around Luke.’”

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/4/24/15410058/la-lakers-news-magic-johnson-didnt-see-a-star-on-the-roster-before-taking-the-job-per-jeanie-buss?utm_campaign=anthonyirwinla&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

The first time in the history of the world that anyone has ever said "build the team around Luke."

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

Just got to this part of the interview

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/39/cf/6b/39cf6b15bce090ae6743bc3df711f572.jpg
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

I agree with Magic, I am high on Ingram, Russell and Zubac, but sustained winning starts with a winning system run by the Coach, look at the Spurs as the example been to the playoffs what 20+ straight years and have won and competed for titles in most of those years

Spurs have picked up players that fit Pop's system and I would like to see the Lakers do the same with Luke
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

Why would you publicly SAY that?

GURL
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

GURL

I don't mind that opinion; there's no Giannis, Anthony Davis, etc. on this team. But why say it aloud? Why?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

GURL

Smh this is going to be knicks bad!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

Gotta love the man in charge saying "I don't know" in regard to our players.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

To be fair she is also saying some not bad stuff too.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure what Luke's done to prove that he's "that guy" either. The reality is that guy either isn't in the organization at this point or hasn't emerged.

And yeah, saying it is silly, but par for the course.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

It was a great interview. informative and shows a little bit more of Jeanie's personality.

However, Magic is right. We don't know. Players you can build championships around are very rare: Bron, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, MJ, Magic, etc. Even as good as Dirk, Malone, GP, KD, AI, etc are, those guys were never able to get a ring as the best player. Of course that 2nd list ran into the first list but do we want to be a team who spends 20 straight years in the playoffs who only loses to MJ every time (Utah)?

We still need that main and if we get him, I think we've got all the other pieces in place. Maybe that's Fultz or Ball or maybe DLO or BI turn into one of those guys but either way, we don't know. IMO, and I could be wrong, but I can see Giannis and Towns turning into those types of players who can carry championship teams.

What we do know is that we've got a fantastic young coach who has the right style of play and personality to lead a championship team. I think Magic's premise is let's build around Luke's vision and what he's seeing. Essentially, Luke is our superstar and we need to give him what he wants.

In many ways, that is refreshing to my ears. It tells me Luke is going to have a HUGE voice in everything we do be it FA, drafting, trades, etc. Hopefully it keeps the young guys hungry and working too.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Gotta love the man in charge saying "I don't know" in regard to our players.

"I don't know" is a gentle way of saying "you don't have that player".
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
It was a great interview. informative and shows a little bit more of Jeanie's personality.

However, Magic is right. We don't know. Players you can build championships around are very rare: Bron, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, MJ, Magic, etc. Even as good as Dirk, Malone, GP, KD, AI, etc are, those guys were never able to get a ring as the best player. Of course that 2nd list ran into the first list but do we want to be a team who spends 20 straight years in the playoffs who only loses to MJ every time (Utah)?

We still need that main and if we get him, I think we've got all the other pieces in place. Maybe that's Fultz or Ball or maybe DLO or BI turn into one of those guys but either way, we don't know. IMO, and I could be wrong, but I can see Giannis and Towns turning into those types of players who can carry championship teams.

What we do know is that we've got a fantastic young coach who has the right style of play and personality to lead a championship team. I think Magic's premise is let's build around Luke's vision and what he's seeing. Essentially, Luke is our superstar and we need to give him what he wants.

In many ways, that is refreshing to my ears. It tells me Luke is going to have a HUGE voice in everything we do be it FA, drafting, trades, etc. Hopefully it keeps the young guys hungry and working too.

We don't know that.

All we know about Luke is that people really like him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

lol is Jeanie really so dumb that she doesn't understand how a rebuild/ tank works? "All I saw was that every year we were going the opposite way, that every year we were having less and less success on the court."

Uhhh... yeah? Your boy Magic was the one publicly saying if you're going to lose, go all the way and lose the most. That's how it works.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Didn't they supposedly give Luke what he wanted in Moz? If the guy they're relying on doesn't know talent then the whole house crumbles in this regard.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

All this proves is why Jerry wanted Jeanie nowhere near making basketball decisions.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lol is Jeanie really so dumb that she doesn't understand how a rebuild/ tank works? "All I saw was that every year we were going the opposite way, that every year we were having less and less success on the court."

Uhhh... yeah? Your boy Magic was the one publicly saying if you're going to lose, go all the way and lose the most. That's how it works.

I can't freakin believe I'm defending Jeanie Buss but she goes on to talk up the rebuilding process and how important it was at the deadline to hang onto the young talent the organization suffered so hard to get, and how it was necessary to trade Lou for a pick because he didn't fit the timeline of the youth movement
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

Was Giannis seen as a franchise level talent after his rookie season? I feel Ingram has similar potential if he can be a good shooter. That's a big IF, but he has improved post ASB and has been aggressive around the rim as well. Imo he can be a better all round version of Giannis if he can shoot well. Giannis is an athletic freak, but Ingram can be 8/10 in terms of athleticism once his body fills out.

Last edited by saetarubia on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
raykanishka
Rookie
Rookie

2019 wrote:

I agree with just about everything you said, but I have to note that Dirk Nowitzki won a title in 2011 as the Mavs best player. He wasn't in his prime anymore, but he was their best player
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

I think it's too soon to tell. but to be honest, magic's track record with talent evaluation is not the best. see okafor, jahlil. and carter-Williams, Michael. so I don't think that statement is the death knell for the young core that some will make it out to be.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

This regime me no likey so far
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

I believe he had a clear message. He still didn't know if we have a player good enough to build around, but he had confidence in the kind of system Luke is trying to run and that it may be a better idea bringing players that can operate under this system than bringing pieces to build around someone like Julius Randle.

Leave Magic alone, I'm going to be the first to tell he was a failure if he is not doing well in the due time, but we are nitpicking too much what he says.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

I thought even Magics biggest critics would've liked that answer. I thought wrong
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

For me it has nothing to do with believing in the FO or not, it is just that they need to STFU. Magic says stupid things, Jeanie says stupid things. Why?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

nash wrote:
I believe he had a clear message. He still didn't know if we have a player good enough to build around, but he had confidence in the kind of system Luke is trying to run and that it may be a better idea bringing players that can operate under this system than bringing pieces to build around someone like Julius Randle.

Leave Magic alone, I'm going to be the first to tell he was a failure if he is not doing well in the due time, but we are nitpicking too much what he says.

Right...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: