Jonathan Demme, 'Silence of the Lambs' director, dead at 73

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Jonathan Demme, 'Silence of the Lambs' director, dead at 73

Jonathan Demme, the eclectic, ever-enthusiastic filmmaker behind the Oscar winners "The Silence of the Lambs" and "Philadelphia," and the director of one of the most seminal concert films ever made, the Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense," has died. He was 73.

One of truly good ones for sure. "Stop Making Sense" is one of my all time favorite concert films.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
bertrome
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Something Wild is tremendously underrated, great soundtrack too.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

"Philadelphia" Is....an incredibly heartbreaking movie every time I watch it. I was too young to be cognizant to how the film was received but imagine it may have been polarizing given when it came out. No need to go on about "Silence of the Lambs", the movie is a (bleep) masterpiece.

Always a shame to lose great talent,RIP.

!...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

bertrome wrote:
Something Wild is tremendously underrated, great soundtrack too.

I just saw that a couple years ago for the first time. Agreed. Quirky, looked of its time, Melanie got nude a lot, Ray Liotta and Jeff Daniels in their primes. I've seen that, maybe 3/4ths of Philadelphia just a year ago on telly, Lambs of course, and his Jimmy Carter Palestine book tour documentary called Man From Plains. That one is an excellent lasting view of Carter and his high intelligence and charm/decency, Demme and the editor(s) framed him well. There's a scene in there where he went down the aisle of a plane and save for only one persimmon, the faces of every age/gender/race lit up and he shook all their hands.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
No need to go on about "Silence of the Lambs", the movie is a (bleep) masterpiece.

Dr. Lector: "That's the Duomo scene, City Dawg... Have you ever been to Venice?..." "You look like a ruuube... Was yer Daddy a coooal miner?...Did he smell of the laaaaymp?"

I binge-viewed a load of Ebert reviews on YT when he died and was surprised and still unsurprised he didn't like it. He didn't like morbid content like that as a general rule, but he made it sound like it was a Friday The 13th sequel. Iirc, he thought it was too much darkness (which is valid -- Buffalo Bill was a rather grody fellow, you feel like taking a shower after seeing him display his pubes while he has a hostage in a pit who he plans to skin for a mask). That's actually akin to the grimness of Texas Chainsaw 73. At any rate, Hannibal is the MAN. Hopkins has done so many movies that his characters tend to blend in with each other, but he knocked that role out of the park, I think he won an Oscar aamof. One of my favorite scenes is the way he's standing as Clarisse gets her first view of him. He looked sinister even at first glance.

You ever seen Manhunter (1986)? Has William L. Peterson (To Live & Die in L.A., CSI) against a serial killer played by Mitch Kupchak. Dr. Lector is a character in that as well, but he's the Laron Profit version compared to Hopkins' Kobesque version. I'm pretty sure Red Dragon was the same movie redone.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to see Demme go. Loved his movies.

Philadelphia is a little dated now but it still resonates if you remember the way people really felt about AIDS back then.

As for Manhunter, I read in a movie book somewhere that Brian Denehey's portrayal of Lektor was just as good. I haven't seen it to know, I love Silence too much to compare.

CSB moment, back in the day when it came out, I went with my family as a teenager and was let into the movie theater and saw the last 5 minutes of the movie, then the movie ended and had to wait through cleanup, previews and the movie itself until I got to see how the ending figured it the movie properly.

I guess the attendant didn't care he told us to enter an already showing movie.

Bye.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

His work was quality. Seemed to be a real artist. RIP
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Hopkins has done so many movies that his characters tend to blend in with each other, but he knocked that role out of the park, I think he won an Oscar aamof. One of my favorite scenes is the way he's standing as Clarisse gets her first view of him. He looked sinister even at first glance.

I can see that one would feel, that way, but that's probably a function of the fact that he is an actor so in command of the subtleties that he doesn't feel the need to create a "character" for each role he performs - he just embodies himself into the role.

Here's a wonderful breakdown of his performance on Westworld that demonstrates the multiple layers and tiny things he does that bring an enormous to his skills:

Westworld: What Makes Anthony Hopkins Great

Quote:
You ever seen Manhunter (1986)? Has William L. Peterson (To Live & Die in L.A., CSI) against a serial killer played by Mitch Kupchak. Dr. Lector is a character in that as well, but he's the Laron Profit version compared to Hopkins' Kobesque version. I'm pretty sure Red Dragon was the same movie redone.

You are correct, they are two visions of the same story. I much prefer Man Hunter.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

http://sockshare.net/watch/yGDplNG6-neil-young-journeys.html
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
Sorry to see Demme go. Loved his movies.

Philadelphia is a little dated now but it still resonates if you remember the way people really felt about AIDS back then.

As for Manhunter, I read in a movie book somewhere that Brian Denehey's portrayal of Lektor was just as good. I haven't seen it to know, I love Silence too much to compare.

CSB moment, back in the day when it came out, I went with my family as a teenager and was let into the movie theater and saw the last 5 minutes of the movie, then the movie ended and had to wait through cleanup, previews and the movie itself until I got to see how the ending figured it the movie properly.

I guess the attendant didn't care he told us to enter an already showing movie.

Bye.

Brian Cox played Lecter in Manhunter. Its a much different take on the character than Hopkins. Much more...I dunno oily. A great performance, but he isn't in the film that much. Manhunter is a great movie, imo way better than the remake Red Dragon.

I watched Silence of the Lambs tonight and I'm amazed at how well it holds up. Just an all time great movie.

RIP
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, "The Silence Of The Lambs" is just one of those movies that will never get old. It just grabs your attention.

RIP, Mr. Demme.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject:

(bleep) one of my all time favs Silence is. What a masterpiece. That and Seven are my go2s for thrillers. (Also mad props to the almost equally brilliant Philadelphia)

You even made the lifeless Jodie Foster likeable, no small feat.

RIP Mr Demme, a true giant
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
No need to go on about "Silence of the Lambs", the movie is a (bleep) masterpiece.

Dr. Lector: "That's the Duomo scene, City Dawg... Have you ever been to Venice?..." "You look like a ruuube... Was yer Daddy a coooal miner?...Did he smell of the laaaaymp?"

I binge-viewed a load of Ebert reviews on YT when he died and was surprised and still unsurprised he didn't like it. He didn't like morbid content like that as a general rule, but he made it sound like it was a Friday The 13th sequel. Iirc, he thought it was too much darkness (which is valid -- Buffalo Bill was a rather grody fellow, you feel like taking a shower after seeing him display his pubes while he has a hostage in a pit who he plans to skin for a mask). That's actually akin to the grimness of Texas Chainsaw 73. At any rate, Hannibal is the MAN. Hopkins has done so many movies that his characters tend to blend in with each other, but he knocked that role out of the park, I think he won an Oscar aamof. One of my favorite scenes is the way he's standing as Clarisse gets her first view of him. He looked sinister even at first glance.

I need to see this, perfect casting.

!...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I binge-viewed a load of Ebert reviews on YT when he died and was surprised and still unsurprised he didn't like it.

He came around on it and later included it in his Great Movies essays.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-silence-of-the-lambs-1991
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

It's the same guy that played Jack the Ripper in Last Action Hero (one of my bigger guilty pleasure flicks). But yeah, he does resemble Mitch a bit.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I stand corrected.

Right first name at least.

Bye.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

You do need to see it. It's a Michael Mann movie.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

You do need to see it. It's a Michael Mann movie.

I just bought it on Amazon.

!...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: