Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If y'all think this is how Magic/Jeannie think, I think the upcoming summer will get a bit squeamish.

I don't think we should unload our young talent, but in trying to predict what Magic will do, I think he will.

Agree wholeheartedly!

Would prefer they take another year of player additions and development. Then re-assess the potential and future before making the blockbuster move(s) I also expect.

Lakers have just begun to rebuild. First year after the influence of the KFT and with a new HC and system. First year of a new FO group and GM.

Show some patience and let it breathe!

Some of the young guys may surprise us all.

True, but the single most reason Magic will make (love the word squeamish) huge moves is if he doesn't, he'll look like he's following the exact same course as Mitch & Jim.

i don't think that is even a thought in Magic's mind. Even if it were the damarcus situation disagrees with you.

What i think the most of fans can agree on is the all-star game is coming and its believable that both Jeanie/Magic feel most pressure to get a laker on the squad. For appearances, as hosts of the "show"...

I don't pretend to know what's in Magic's mind. I do know that the previous folks were biding their time watching the kids grew up. I do know that something substantial has to change so as not to follow the same course.

What do you mean by "the damarcus situation disagrees with you"?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already?

dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Go4thaGold wrote:
My boy who is a DIE HARD Lakers fan like us thinks we may already have younger versions of two players we would really like to see on our roster.

What do you guys think?

Quote:
Many here want the Lakers to pursue Jimmy Butler and or Paul George. But consider this...Couldn't one make the claim that Brandon Ingram is a very young (and skinny) version on Paul George with the potential to be a 2-way all star player? And if the Lakers are smart with their pick they'll strongly consider drafting Josh Jackson who in my eyes compares to a young version of Jimmy Butler with off the charts athleticism and defensive game.

Why not keep Ingram at SF, draft Jackson to play SG and build around a long athletic defensive team with developing offensive game?

They may, but doubt the Lakers wait 4-5 years (and missing playoffs until then) to find out.

Well we going to get our ass handed to us by the Warriors the next 4-5 years by going to the playoffs so we we're screwed regardless.

I'm not so sure about that.

Dynasties like that tend to crumble after a 3-4 year run (look at the recent Lakers, HEAT, early 2000s Lakers). Too many games over too many years. I can see at least 2 years of being an absolute no brainer top contender, thereafter, anyone's guess.
Wade got old, and his game was based largely on athleticism. Durant/Curry are 28, and their games are based on jumpshooting. They both should still be lethal at age 32. Klay/Green are 27.

Their #1 contender window is easily 4 years if health permits. They are a superteam of the highest order.

That is the point, they already have health issues.

As for Ingram, he hasn't shown the ability to defend that well yet, but there is room to grow.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

JC - Westbrook
Dlo - Harden
Ingram - Durant
Julius - Green
Zubac - Gasol

We just have to stand pat developing the HOF talent we have.

Well, a few folks don't think JC is the next Westbrook anymore, let's hope we have better luck with the development of the other guys
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
JC - Westbrook
Dlo - Harden
Ingram - Durant
Julius - Green
Zubac - Gasol

Well, a few folks don't think JC is the next Westbrook anymore, let's hope we have better luck with the development of the other guys

Um no.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
JC - Westbrook
Dlo - Harden
Ingram - Durant
Julius - Green
Zubac - Gasol

Not sure if you're serious...

but putting down names of great players (HOF's, superstars, all stars, MVO, DOPY) does not make it true because there are similarities in their games.

I could easily take the lowest approach to that comp list and give you
Lou Will-Billups-Iguodala-Terrance Jones-Kanter

Again, that does make it true or factual. Let's just see what these kids become.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If y'all think this is how Magic/Jeannie think, I think the upcoming summer will get a bit squeamish.

I don't think we should unload our young talent, but in trying to predict what Magic will do, I think he will.

I don't get the rush to trade for PG13 when if he really wants to be here he can come as a FA in a year. If we trade our assets then aren't we becoming Knicks west after the trade for Melo? In particular when he can leave after a year.

Coach Wooden
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't get the rush to trade for PG13 when if he really wants to be here he can come as a FA in a year. If we trade our assets then aren't we becoming Knicks west after the trade for Melo? In particular when he can leave after a year.

It's not me. I'm saying that's likely Magic's thinking.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Ingram will not become either player IMO; he's taller and doesn't bend as well as either guy mentioned but he could become quite a good player in his own right after a couple more seasons.

That said, if the question were rephrased to be what I think you meant to ask ("Is Brandon Ingram the Laker wing of the future, and is he the franchise's best shot at its new face to-be ?"), then I'd have to say maybe. It's gonna take some time.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's not me. I'm saying that's likely Magic's thinking.

Sorry, I know its not you. I was asking someone to explain to me the rush.

Coach Wooden
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I am ready for anything. Hopefully Pelinka will balance out Magic's Byron Scott tendencies.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am ready for anything.

Is VLF's body finally ready?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
nash wrote:
JC - Westbrook
Dlo - Harden
Ingram - Durant
Julius - Green
Zubac - Gasol

Not sure if you're serious...

but putting down names of great players (HOF's, superstars, all stars, MVO, DOPY) does not make it true because there are similarities in their games.

I could easily take the lowest approach to that comp list and give you
Lou Will-Billups-Iguodala-Terrance Jones-Kanter

Again, that does make it true or factual. Let's just see what these kids become.

I'm not putting down names, it is a compilation of the expectations I've heard from fans about our young core that is aligned with the title of this thread without taking into account our chance to draft Jackson/Butler
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already?

yinoma2001 wrote:
dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Go4thaGold wrote:
My boy who is a DIE HARD Lakers fan like us thinks we may already have younger versions of two players we would really like to see on our roster.

What do you guys think?

Quote:
Many here want the Lakers to pursue Jimmy Butler and or Paul George. But consider this...Couldn't one make the claim that Brandon Ingram is a very young (and skinny) version on Paul George with the potential to be a 2-way all star player? And if the Lakers are smart with their pick they'll strongly consider drafting Josh Jackson who in my eyes compares to a young version of Jimmy Butler with off the charts athleticism and defensive game.

Why not keep Ingram at SF, draft Jackson to play SG and build around a long athletic defensive team with developing offensive game?

They may, but doubt the Lakers wait 4-5 years (and missing playoffs until then) to find out.

Well we going to get our ass handed to us by the Warriors the next 4-5 years by going to the playoffs so we we're screwed regardless.

Dynasties like that tend to crumble after a 3-4 year run (look at the recent Lakers, HEAT, early 2000s Lakers). Too many games over too many years. I can see at least 2 years of being an absolute no brainer top contender, thereafter, anyone's guess.
Wade got old, and his game was based largely on athleticism. Durant/Curry are 28, and their games are based on jumpshooting. They both should still be lethal at age 32. Klay/Green are 27.

Their #1 contender window is easily 4 years if health permits. They are a superteam of the highest order.

that's my point. Health. Teams like the Warriors play 20+ more games than a non playoff team. Those games, accounting for intensity level, probably are worth 1.5 regular season games. So over 4 years, you're already logging over a full NBA season in playoff games. Durant's been injured this year. Curry has had a history of it. It's pretty unprecedented to see what you are suggesting would be a 7 year run to the Finals for one team.
It's rare because teams that good are tough to construct. But look at Jordan's Bulls. It can be done.

Why do you think Jordan took time off from the game?

I have my suspicions, and those aren't the reasons I think.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Ingram will not become either player IMO; he's taller and doesn't bend as well as either guy mentioned but he could become quite a good player in his own right after a couple more seasons.

That said, if the question were rephrased to be what I think you meant to ask ("Is Brandon Ingram the Laker wing of the future, and is he the franchise's best shot at its new face to-be ?"), then I'd have to say maybe. It's gonna take some time.

...like any minute now
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already ?

Go4thaGold wrote:
My boy who is a DIE HARD Lakers fan like us thinks we may already have and have the potential to gain (...if the pick is kept) younger versions of two players we would really like to see on our roster.

What do you guys think?

Quote:

actually nawaba could be jimmy butler if he ever finds a jumpshot and is dead serious about being a scorer. he already has the defense, the strength/athleticism/length for his height. he needs a reliable jumpshot and the will to be a scorer not just a hustle guy.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject:

we need to keep our youth unless we get an offer we cant refuse. Nobody in the west is getting past the Thunder anyway so no point making a foolish "win now" attempt
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject:

God I hope that they dont think that the buss family is like Guggenheim where there is an infinite salary cap or that the salary cap is effectively infinite like in the MLB. That would be a disastrous outcome.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already ?

splashmtn wrote:
Go4thaGold wrote:
My boy who is a DIE HARD Lakers fan like us thinks we may already have and have the potential to gain (...if the pick is kept) younger versions of two players we would really like to see on our roster.

What do you guys think?

Quote:

actually nawaba could be jimmy butler if he ever finds a jumpshot and is dead serious about being a scorer. he already has the defense, the strength/athleticism/length for his height. he needs a reliable jumpshot and the will to be a scorer not just a hustle guy.

what
there's more to offense than just shooting
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly!

Would prefer they take another year of player additions and development. Then re-assess the potential and future before making the blockbuster move(s) I also expect.

Lakers have just begun to rebuild. First year after the influence of the KFT and with a new HC and system. First year of a new FO group and GM.

Show some patience and let it breathe!

Some of the young guys may surprise us all.

True, but the single most reason Magic will make (love the word squeamish) huge moves is if he doesn't, he'll look like he's following the exact same course as Mitch & Jim.

i don't think that is even a thought in Magic's mind. Even if it were the damarcus situation disagrees with you.

What i think the most of fans can agree on is the all-star game is coming and its believable that both Jeanie/Magic feel most pressure to get a laker on the squad. For appearances, as hosts of the "show"...

I don't pretend to know what's in Magic's mind. I do know that the previous folks were biding their time watching the kids grew up. I do know that something substantial has to change so as not to follow the same course.

What do you mean by "the damarcus situation disagrees with you"?

Depends what story you believe; but the last draw was that they either almost traded our youth to trade him or they didn't get it done.

When the story broke and was validated with Divac's "i had a better offer" i thought it was because they failed. But afterwards the story was told as they were about to trade away everything in a last ditch attempt to extend their tenure and get a star here at all costs.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already?

dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Go4thaGold wrote:

What do you guys think?

Quote:

The Heat were actually younger than the Warriors when they got together, and they didn't win 4 straight titles. Wade was 28, LeBron was 25, and Bosh was 26. And yes, the Warriors are a jumpshooting team, but Curry and Thompson have already struggle n the NBA finals. You add in the fact that Curry will get a massive raise, Durant will get a raise, Iggy will get a slight raise, and Livingston will get a raise, and you can see how money will be a problem in the near future.

Last edited by Wildchild027 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's my own take, backed up by history, that dynasties that get to the Finals each year have a 3-4 year shelf-life due to wear/tear, injuries, salaries, etc.

Warriors are on year 3 of this quest, and we'll see if they will make 4 more Finals like you predict.

After this season, I give them 2 more years of dominating and then After that KD, Steph, Klay and Draymond will be 30+.
Andre igoudala will probably retire or be like Vince Carter of today.

Our young bucks who are still around will be in their mid 20's and developed while adding PG and Westbrook

Lebron will have formed another super team in Cleveland with A starting lineup of CP3, Kyrie, Melo, Lebron, and Klove.

Basically the rest of the NBA figuring out the cheesy Warrior ways.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already?

Wildchild027 wrote:
dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Go4thaGold wrote:

What do you guys think?

Quote:

The Heat were actually younger than the Warriors when they got together, and they didn't win 4 straight titles. Wade was 28, LeBron was 25, and Bosh was 26. And yes, the Warriors are a jumpshooting team, but Curry and Thompson have already struggle n the NBA finals. You add in the fact that Curry will get a massive raise, Durant will get a raise, Iggy will get a slight raise, and Livingston will get a raise, and toy can see how money will be a problem in the near future.

Curry,Durant,Clay,Green together is on a whole 'nother level than just Lebron,Wade,Bosh
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already?

audioaxes wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Go4thaGold wrote:

What do you guys think?

Quote:

The Heat were actually younger than the Warriors when they got together, and they didn't win 4 straight titles. Wade was 28, LeBron was 25, and Bosh was 26. And yes, the Warriors are a jumpshooting team, but Curry and Thompson have already struggle n the NBA finals. You add in the fact that Curry will get a massive raise, Durant will get a raise, Iggy will get a slight raise, and Livingston will get a raise, and toy can see how money will be a problem in the near future.

Curry,Durant,Clay,Green together is on a whole 'nother level than just Lebron,Wade,Bosh

Bear in mind, Curry is about to go from like 11m/year to closer to 35m/year. That affects depth. And as these guys play 25-28 additional games a year than non-playoff teams, coupled with depleted depth, that's how you see the dynasty crumble. Plus, I can TOTALLY see Klay when he's a FA looking to be "the man" somewhere else.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already?

yinoma2001 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Go4thaGold wrote:

What do you guys think?

Quote:

Bear in mind, Curry is about to go from like 11m/year to closer to 35m/year. That affects depth. And as these guys play 25-28 additional games a year than non-playoff teams, coupled with depleted depth, that's how you see the dynasty crumble. Plus, I can TOTALLY see Klay when he's a FA looking to be "the man" somewhere else.
Somewhere like L.A, maybe?
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Young Jimmy Butler and Paul George on Lakers already?

audioaxes wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Go4thaGold wrote:

What do you guys think?

Quote:

Not even close. Green is a role player, and Klay is mostly a spot up shooter. You add in the fact that LeBron, Wade and Bosh made about 51 million combined when they got together, and Durant and Curry will make over 60 million next season by themselves. That team isn't wining four straight rings.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: