Lou Williams for 28th pick a Good/Bad trade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

If it was under Jim Buss everyone would be saying it was the worst trade in the history of sports. Since it was under Magic Johnson everyone is giving him a pass. IMHO I believe we could have done a better trade...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:
If it was under Jim Buss everyone would be saying it was the worst trade in the history of sports. Since it was under Magic Johnson everyone is giving him a pass. IMHO I believe we could have done a better trade...

Do a better trade how? We saw what the going rate was for bench scorers around the deadline.

If Mitch, AND JIM, had a Utah deal on the table but waited to pull it off (in hopes of a playoff push) then we missed that deal because of them, not Magic. Magic waiting an extra day would not have magically summoned a lottery pick for Lou.

I think what you said is that exact opposite-- since it's Magic everyone wants to claim he was hasty in his decision.

In fact, I feel that many of the defenders of the last regime (which I was until a certain point in time) would have gave Mitch props for the same move.

People don't like Magic's approach and thus want to knock him. We got a first round pick, got worse, took on a contract that can be used as an expiring in a bigger trade, and then got Ennis in "separate" deal for Huertes.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

What else were we going to do with Lou? We got a pick we can use this year, and it helped our tank.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
It was a good trade. We have a chance of getting our pick back and showed some good will by sending Lou to a contender. My only issue was the timing, we did it too early. Mitch had the deal on the board for awhile but wisely waited until the deadline. Magic rushed it and pulled the trigger too early.

We now have to wait and see if this FO can be as good at drafting.
heir

Reports were Utah pulled their offer prior to Magic coming on board.

Waiting another day or 2 until the second the deadline expired is a risky game. Had Houston found someone else, then all we had left was Wizards who could have also potentially gotten Bogdan by then and we would have been left with nothing.

Magic did the right thing and took what was in hand and not waiting for what may or may not come or improve.

Not to mention, the Ennis for Huertes deal was probably being discussed at the time which was a clear win.

That's what I read about the situation.

I think we waited too long and should have pulled the plug on this when Mitch was still here.

I would also state that waiting around for the right move has never been a situation that helped the Lakers.

I just hope it works with PG13, LOL, because I don't want to even partially gut this team to bring him in.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:

Do a better trade how? We saw what the going rate was for bench scorers around the deadline.

If Mitch, AND JIM, had a Utah deal on the table but waited to pull it off (in hopes of a playoff push) then we missed that deal because of them, not Magic. Magic waiting an extra day would not have magically summoned a lottery pick for Lou.

I think what you said is that exact opposite-- since it's Magic everyone wants to claim he was hasty in his decision.

In fact, I feel that many of the defenders of the last regime (which I was until a certain point in time) would have gave Mitch props for the same move.

People don't like Magic's approach and thus want to knock him. We got a first round pick, got worse, took on a contract that can be used as an expiring in a bigger trade, and then got Ennis in "separate" deal for Huertes.

And there you have it folks. The perfect example right here...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
I wished Mitch would have pulled the trigger with Utah, since their pick is higher than the Rockets, but I guess it all depends one who we get. At this moment, I'm happy with the trade. Could be better, but it's good enough.

We will never know what we could have gotten.

Wizards had a 1st but wanted us to eat a bad contract that was worse than Brewer.

Utah, no one knows what they would have given up so I don't count that against anyone.

The only iffy was taking on Brewer's 7m deal, but that's not fatal and he provided some spark at the end of the year during our 5 game winning streak.

I don't think that getting Brewer in return was a bad move at all. They didn't have the expiring contract we needed, and Brewer has always been a hard player, something that can be good for our young players learning to play the game.

McDaniels/Ennis exp K would have worked.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:
2019 wrote:
BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:

You didn't refute anything he said.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Great trade for both teams. Rockets got a big time scorer to take pressure off of Harden. Lakers got back a 1st rounder in a deep draft and a much greater chance of securing our own draft pick. Also, Ingram's growth since the ASG is probably due to all the extra shots he got from Lou's departure.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

No point keeping Lou. We'd have probably won 30 games and had a 15% chance of keeping the pick instead of the 47% chance that we do have.

It seems this was the best return we could've gotten. I didn't Brewer getting attached, and I still don't, but if it's the best possible trade out there then there's not much to complain about.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:
2019 wrote:
BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:

http://purpleandblues.com/2017/02/21/lou-williams-utah-jazz-hopes-dashed-lakers-make-deal/

Heck, I’d even be so bold as to say that Utah’s expendable Shelvin Mack would have been a better option with more upside for the Lakers than the aging and struggling Corey Brewer, and that’s saying something! Yet even a comparison of the two players’ numbers would back that up as well.
David J. Smith @davidjsmith1232
It's clear that many teams could have bettered HOU's offer for Lou. Perhaps this is a play on Pelinka's ties w/ Harden, Gordon, Ariza?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:
2019 wrote:
BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:

Im still waiting for his response
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

in terms of just the trade, it was a bad trade in that williams was basically our best player. i don't understand why any team wouldn't want him. and i don't get why our fans are so excited about the potential of say, dlo, but not impressed with lou. doesn't really make sense to me. one guy has done nothing and it's all conjecture. the other guy is like a borderline all star who plays pretty well game after game.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
in terms of just the trade, it was a bad trade in that williams was basically our best player. i don't understand why any team wouldn't want him. and i don't get why our fans are so excited about the potential of say, dlo, but not impressed with lou. doesn't really make sense to me. one guy has done nothing and it's all conjecture. the other guy is like a borderline all star who plays pretty well game after game.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fanboy
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

It depends on who we get with the pick.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

double post, sorry.
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
It depends on who we get with the pick.

exactly. zubac was a second rounder. nance a late 1st and clarkson a 2nd. imagine if someone drops this year and we draft a steal.. vs we keeping lou and lost the top 3 pick to philly. its a plus that lou has a chance to win, our guards got more on-court time to develop their skills, and we have ennis who showed flashes of what he can contribute to the bench
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fanboy

Lou is 30. And he's definitely not a borderline all-star.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

At the same age, DLO was a much more talented player but that's not what this discussion is about... not sure why you're even taking it there.

My thoughts are that

A) Lou was helping us win games that we really didn't need to

B) Lou was taking away learning opportunities from the young guys when he'd take over.

C) Lou is 30

D) Lou plays no D and thus no guard rotation balance

The flip side is that we've since got a pick in the range where we drifted Nance and Zu and much higher than Clarkson. There will be someone that falls to the late first like every other year (see Skal).

Trading Lou was a no brainer despite him being entertaining to watch or that he was a likable person/player.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Lou had more value as a trade chip than helping the Lakers win games...now if he was 24-25, he would have a future on this team, but he is in his prime now and he would best be served playing on a playoff team. Nevertheless, he was taking away playing opportunities for young players on this team that need court time to see if they have a future on this team.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

It wasn't good or bad, it just needed to happen. Would've been nice to get an expiring contract back instead of Brewer.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:
2019 wrote:
BRANDON INGRAM 14 wrote:

When people are losing an argument, they usually shift to ad-hominem attacks. You're exactly right that he couldn't refute the points, so he shifted strategy.
KOBE2007MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:

A bad trade for the Lakers. No 28th pick is going to be half as good as the 6th man off the year averaging 20 pts a game!
If tanking was the purpose they could have shut him down for the year like they did Moz, Deng and Young.
They gave away our best player to a WC rival which is going to bite us in the a$$ for many years to come!
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Trading Lou was the right move. Whether it was a good trade depends on what other offers were on the table
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

KOBE2007MVP wrote:
A bad trade for the Lakers. No 28th pick is going to be half as good as the 6th man off the year averaging 20 pts a game!
If tanking was the purpose they could have shut him down for the year like they did Moz, Deng and Young.
They gave away our best player to a WC rival which is going to bite us in the a$$ for many years to come!
'

You and someone else I already shut down in this thread need to get together and find a way to actually substantiate what you're saying.

Anyone calling this a bad trade doesn't understand the macro view that's required to judge this deal.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:

I gave it a b at the time (in concert with the Ennis trade), and my only real issue was coming in letting everyone know you were making the trade today, and after dumping the guy who had potential deals on the table. I think it cost LA because teams went with their opening bid rather than their best deal, which is counterintuitive to a novice playing the deadline today game.

The value was the tank, and the hope that even a mediocre future asset is worth more than an old one when it gets to the point of contending. Of course, if you plan on speeding up the process, then not so much.

Last edited by Omar Little on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: