Breaking Down the Los Angeles Lakers' Potential Path to Paul George
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Thanks Emplay. Do you think Ingram, Randle, #3 and Brewer is too much to give up for PG13? I think I would do that.

PF-Nance
SF-George
C-Zubac
PG-Clarkson
SG-Russell

Randle, Russell and #3 is better for me. Ingram can be moved to the 2 with George at the 3. Clarkson did well enough at the 1 to move Russell.

Magic said he wanted guys who were committed to excellence. Russell has a lot of talent but I question is heart / energy too many times last year.

You guys are nuts. DLO, Jules AND a top 3 pick for 1 year of PG13?

Agreed- I am glad y'all are not our GM. There is no guarantee that PG would even stay if we traded for him. I would offer JC and Jules maybe our 28 pick and that is it. Take it or leave it. We can get PG in free agency if Indy does not like our offer.

You know, even if there was a chance that this would work, the bottom line is, we would be putting this teams future completely in the hands of a single player. That would just be completely foolish. We have seen what trusted a player to do the right thing can do to a team, Howard anyone? Do we actually want to put ourselves in this type of position again?? If we got burned by another player like that, the Buss family and Magic would be done in this town. In this league, as currently constructed, we would be down for at least another 10 years. Lotto for another 5. That would be so stupid!!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Thanks Emplay. Do you think Ingram, Randle, #3 and Brewer is too much to give up for PG13? I think I would do that.

PF-Nance
SF-George
C-Zubac
PG-Clarkson
SG-Russell

Randle, Russell and #3 is better for me. Ingram can be moved to the 2 with George at the 3. Clarkson did well enough at the 1 to move Russell.

Magic said he wanted guys who were committed to excellence. Russell has a lot of talent but I question is heart / energy too many times last year.

You guys are nuts. DLO, Jules AND a top 3 pick for 1 year of PG13?

Agreed- I am glad y'all are not our GM. There is no guarantee that PG would even stay if we traded for him. I would offer JC and Jules maybe our 28 pick and that is it. Take it or leave it. We can get PG in free agency if Indy does not like our offer.

You know, even if there was a chance that this would work, the bottom line is, we would be putting this teams future completely in the hands of a single player. That would just be completely foolish. We have seen what trusted a player to do the right thing can do to a team, Howard anyone? Do we actually want to put ourselves in this type of position again?? If we got burned by another player like that, the Buss family and Magic would be done in this town. In this league, as currently constructed, we would be down for at least another 10 years. Lotto for another 5. That would be so stupid!!

I agree, I don't want to trade for PG at all. I prefer the player development route with prudent FA signings of young players with potential with the rest of meager post Mozdeng cap space.

The only reason I would give up Randle is that we are going to have to pay Randle big money soon and I am not sure he is the big that we need due to his lack of D, rim protection and IQ. I have officially given up on JC ever increasing his bbal IQ to match his athletic profile so I am willing to part with him as well.

Overall my philosophy is internal player development with prudent FA signings of young players with potential. No more overpaying older FA's like Mozdeng and no gutting our core for win now players who will rapidly age and never get us past the first round.

Sure if we could trade for Giannis I would do that. But I am not giving up BI, DLO, Zu, Nance and our lotto pick this year for PG13 or Jimmy Butler.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

The only sure thing about the player development angle is that it will take time. No guarantees at the end of the rainbow that we have even an all star. It's a risky strategy no doubt. Every angle is a risky one this summer including trading said young players for someone like PG13.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

PG13 is not even CLOSE to being a franchise player. His ceiling is Robin/2nd best player on a great team. Why should we tried most of our assets that we tanked so hard for just to receive a tier 2 star? He isn't KD, LeBron, or Curry...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
PG13 is not even CLOSE to being a franchise player. His ceiling is Robin/2nd best player on a great team. Why should we tried most of our assets that we tanked so hard for just to receive a tier 2 star? He isn't KD, LeBron, or Curry...

The Cavs traded for Kevin Love and it ended up working pretty well. And who's to say we are only gonna ride with PG13 when there is possible FA signings to improve the team?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

No, teams are only allowed to make one move, that's it, lol
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

The Cavs traded for Kevin Love and it ended up working pretty well. And who's to say we are only gonna ride with PG13 when there is possible FA signings to improve the team?

Yeah, but the Cavs already had LeBron and Kyrie. Who do we plan to pair PG13 up with? And yes, having him here can open up the door for other FAs to come here so I get that. The only problem I have is relying on free agency for the time being. Because what happens if we trade for him and no one decides to come over?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

Yeah, but the Cavs already had LeBron and Kyrie. Who do we plan to pair PG13 up with? And yes, having him here can open up the door for other FAs to come here so I get that. The only problem I have is relying on free agency for the time being. Because what happens if we trade for him and no one decides to come over?

I'm sure Emplay can answer that, but for me getting PG13 gives us a chance to have other stars possibly interested in coming.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Be it via trade or FA - getting the first piece is the hardest part but it makes the 2nd, 3rd and so on easier to acquire
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Be it via trade or FA - getting the first piece is the hardest part but it makes the 2nd, 3rd and so on easier to acquire

Agreed, I may be slowly changing my mind on this.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
emplay wrote:

Welcome to the clan

Props to emplay for making you understand the situation.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
emplay wrote:

Welcome to the clan

Props to emplay for making you understand the situation.

Yeah I remembered emailing emplay a few years back in college and asked him some questions about the Lakers possibly pursuing Kevin Ollie as head coach for one of my writing assignments. Thanks again emplay
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:

I don't agree with that.
I don't know if I would trade for PG13 because of age and what he may have left in the tank (he's closer to 30 than 22) and that he would be an impending free agent.

However he is a franchise player. He has led his teams to the playoffs. He has gotten them deep, deep into the playoffs when the talent was better. He's never had a scorer as good as him on the same team.

I mean you look at the elite teams, it's not like they are winning with just guy carrying the load. Outside of Houston, who may be getting eliminated soon, the rest of the teams who are going deep in the playoffs are usually with 2 clear cut all-stars, maybe even 4 like with Golden State. or 3 like with Cleveland.

I mean not like PG has had a Irving, a Klay Thompson, a stand out elite scorer at either PG or SG to complement him as a front court wing player.

It's not fair to label him unable to carry a team when he has shown he can do so much without having even a second all-star next to him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

I don't agree with that.
I don't know if I would trade for PG13 because of age and what he may have left in the tank (he's closer to 30 than 22) and that he would be an impending free agent.

However he is a franchise player. He has led his teams to the playoffs. He has gotten them deep, deep into the playoffs when the talent was better. He's never had a scorer as good as him on the same team.

I mean you look at the elite teams, it's not like they are winning with just guy carrying the load. Outside of Houston, who may be getting eliminated soon, the rest of the teams who are going deep in the playoffs are usually with 2 clear cut all-stars, maybe even 4 like with Golden State. or 3 like with Cleveland.

I mean not like PG has had a Irving, a Klay Thompson, a stand out elite scorer at either PG or SG to complement him as a front court wing player.

It's not fair to label him unable to carry a team when he has shown he can do so much without having even a second all-star next to him.

He's the first important piece we could add alongside whichever of our young core remains to develop. If you like the GS model, I believe (when I want to be realistic) that given the young players' timelines, this move is akin to their acquisition of Iguodala- a veteran star, defensive presence and leader. By the time whoever we keep develops fully he'll still be one of our key players but not THE franchise guy. Thinking something like this (as a core, not new starting 5), age-wise:

Russell-25
Ingram-23
George-31
Nance-28
Zubac-24

Add in another max-ish free agent, fill in some role players and if we've got 3-4 possible all-stars on the roster we've got a top 2 or 3 team in the Western Conference. In 2021, with a window open for at least 5 years. Don't really see it happening much sooner unless Magic can recruit Durant or Curry this summer (lol).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

I don't agree with that.

Agreed. This isn't like a Kevin Love situation where it was clear he would never carry his team into the playoffs. I think the dumping on PG13 is in part a reaction to the real possibility that some of our favorite young players may be moved as a consequence (for me, I'm now bracing for DLO or Ingram to be traded). But he went head to head against Lebron this playoffs, and has historically. Put Kyrie and give him the Cavs and I think he could take that team to the ECF.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

I don't agree with that.

I've changed my opinion about whether we should trade for him. I think we should, but yes, unfair on my part to criticize PG13 for that when he hasn't had players like that beside him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

I don't agree with that.

I've changed my opinion about whether we should trade for him. I think we should, but yes, unfair on my part to criticize PG13 for that when he hasn't had players like that beside him.

Look at who he is going up against LeBron with.

A 21 year old Turner, an ok but not even great Teague. I mean it was literally PG13 carrying that team to eek out a few close games against the Cavs juggernaut.

Give him a Kyrie level player, an elite role player like Love, a defensive rebounding beast like Thompson, and I think we would think differently about him.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

I would definitely trade for George, any 2 combo of our young players. Only untouchable would be Ingram for me.

Not sure any of our players are All star caliber, getting that first piece in gets you moving in the right direction. George is in his prime (27), we are not trading for an all star 30+ and hit there peak already.
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

As far as PG being on an all-NBA team, there's a guy on reddit who's compiled so far all of the writers who've released their ballots, it was a decent sample size (around 30-40% I believe) and PG was pretty solidly not going to make one. Obviously there's still a lot unknown and he still could make it.

I'm all onboard for trading for PG, as emplay said getting that first star is the hardest, once he's in place it gets much easier. I'm of the belief get the star first then build from there.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Kingpin2010 wrote:
As far as PG being on an all-NBA team, there's a guy on reddit who's compiled so far all of the writers who've released their ballots, it was a decent sample size (around 30-40% I believe) and PG was pretty solidly not going to make one. Obviously there's still a lot unknown and he still could make it.

I'm all onboard for trading for PG, as emplay said getting that first star is the hardest, once he's in place it gets much easier. I'm of the belief get the star first then build from there.

I agree, I love the young core on the team, but as a fan who wants to win, I appreciate getting guys who can help you now, the Lakers have never been in a position like this, at least when the Lakers were rebuilding in the 90's they were making the playoffs and making noise.. this is not something we are used to seeing, I rather not wait to see if these guys get it.
PopcornMachine#32
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys, long time visitor to the site, since 2005 actually, but this is my first post. I always had a passion for sports writing and I recently decided to dedicate myself to it. I wanted to share my first few articles with my Lakers family. Some are Laker related and some are not. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can provide. Hopefully one day I'll be writing along side emplay:

https://inthefrontrow.com/lakers-in-need-of-an-nba-jam-duoand-fast/

https://inthefrontrow.com/can-we-just-yada-yada-the-rest-of-the-nba-playoffs-and-get-on-with-the-main-attraction-already/

https://inthefrontrow.com/as-lebron-continues-to-cruise-his-banana-boat-buddies-enter-dark-waters/

Thanks guys!
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine#32 wrote:

https://inthefrontrow.com/as-lebron-continues-to-cruise-his-banana-boat-buddies-enter-dark-waters/

Thanks guys!

Welcome aboard...

...more summer fun

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Richard-Jefferson-Luke-Walton-Basketball-Players-Bromance-Vacation-4.jpg
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
I don't agree with that.

Look at who he is going up against LeBron with.

A 21 year old Turner, an ok but not even great Teague. I mean it was literally PG13 carrying that team to eek out a few close games against the Cavs juggernaut.

Give him a Kyrie level player, an elite role player like Love, a defensive rebounding beast like Thompson, and I think we would think differently about him.
Is PG13 a super star - yes. Is he a transcendent player - no. Will he attract other stars, maybe but what is his track record of attracting stars to the Pacers

PG13's possible futures is listed here http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2017/05/09/doyel-who-says-indiana-pacers-have-fall-apart/313556001/ and would make the Lakers' interest moot.

Various factors to consider is which young players will still on the roster if Magic/Rob decides to trade for him and would it be better than what he got at Indiana. Considering that the most positive picture of next year's Lakers team is to be a .500 team, would that be acceptable to PG13.

For the Lakers to be a team that can realistically be between the 5th to 8th spot in the Western Conference, they would have to get another star. The only UFA worth considering would be Noel (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/) and that wouldn't make sense with Mosgov on the roster

In the most positive light - could a lineup with Mosgov, Deng, Randle, DLO and Ball (assumption) get twice the wins of last year? Would a bench of Ingram, Zuboc, Nance Jr., JC and Nwaba be good.
Note: this is with the assumption of having all the rookies back - which won't happen.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

So what happened to the Hayward + George talk?
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

a paul George-led lakers team is not going to change the number of banners on the wall at staples center.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: