Let's all Laugh at the Clippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Bol wrote:
Meh. Paul wasn't taking the Clips anywhere and he's getting up there in age for a small player. Losing him instead of giving him a max contract isn't such a bad thing, IMO.

I think Blake probably will stay. Paul was a well known annoyance to teammates, they'll probably be secretly relieved he's gone. And contrary to popular belief, Blake is way more productive when he's not playing with CP and can have the ball in his hands more.

Of course the Clips likely will fall a few games in the standings unless they can strike gold in trade or FA, but they might still make the playoffs, and it's not like they were ever going to be a threat to the Warriors anyway.

Not sure how things will work out for Houston. Paul + Harden is about as bad a backcourt fit as I can imagine, with both being so ball dominant, and Paul is declining, but still obviously a talent upgrade. Doesn't really matter, they won't beat or even scare Golden State. Paul should've gone to the Spurs if he wanted a chance at that.

How can he not see this?

I think he would have had to carry the same load and burden with the Spurs. The ability of James Harden as a playmaker is probably the reason CP3 is happy.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Lakers could be better than the Clips next year, especially of Blake leaves (or gets injured)...!
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Lakers could be better than the Clips next year, especially of Blake leaves (or gets injured)...!
No reason for Blake to stick around.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

I think Blake probably will stay. Paul was a well known annoyance to teammates, they'll probably be secretly relieved he's gone. And contrary to popular belief, Blake is way more productive when he's not playing with CP and can have the ball in his hands more.

Interesting take.

I had not thought of this, but maybe Blake will stay now that CP3 is gone. I agree with you that Blake can be just as good or better without him and also that CP3's schtick had grown old with him and DeAndre Jordan for sure.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I did laugh at them, then I realized that we aren't any better and have a long way to go.

True. But they went from being much better to not being any better, and that is a lot more tragic than just being where we are.

And that tragedy makes me happy haha. Plus, now we can beat them again.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Its Blake Griffin's team now if he so chooses. Wonder if he really wants to stay a Clipper though. He has plenty of teams wanting him to be part of their playoff push. Theres some intriguing pairings out there.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Its Blake Griffin's team now if he so chooses.

Is there really something you've seen about Griffin that makes you think he even remotely wants that kind of position?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Maybe not same comparisons but when Harden played with Westbrook he was not the same impact player

When Harden played with Lin, he was better without Lin than with
When Harden played with Lawson, again not great

Beverly was his "Fisher" IMO

I don't know about this one

It could be great
Or it could be really lacklustre

I don't see an in between on this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Sorry if already posted. Interesting article that the Clippers could have had Melo, but Doc delined the trade because he didnt want to trade away his son.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19758509/la-clippers-trade-chris-paul-houston-rockets
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

How does it feel to be a Clipper fan? You are gifted with CP3 and a young core of promising players and you do absolutely nothing in the playoffs. You don't get further in the playoffs than the Chris Kaman-Elton Brand vintage 2006 Clippers, a team which exceeded expectations with less talent on the roster.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Its Blake Griffin's team now if he so chooses.

Is there really something you've seen about Griffin that makes you think he even remotely wants that kind of position?

Repeat after me - OKC! OKC!! OKC!!!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Sorry if already posted. Interesting article that the Clippers could have had Melo, but Doc delined the trade because he didnt want to trade away his son.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19758509/la-clippers-trade-chris-paul-houston-rockets

Yeah and it came from Clippers insider Michael Eaves as well. Of course Austin is on Twitter denying it.

There's also a rumor they didn't want to give up the full Supermax to CP3.

Back to the penny-pinching days of Sterling?

It would be insane if they wouldn't give it to CP3 who was the heart of the team but give one to Blake who has always come up short in the playoffs either through his play or his absence. Ain't no one coming to the Clips to play with Blake Griffin.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yeah and it came from Clippers insider Michael Eaves as well. Of course Austin is on Twitter denying it.

There's also a rumor they didn't want to give up the full Supermax to CP3.

Back to the penny-pinching days of Sterling?

It would be insane if they wouldn't give it to CP3 who was the heart of the team but give one to Blake who has always come up short in the playoffs either through his play or his absence. Ain't no one coming to the Clips to play with Blake Griffin.

Well, if you watch ESPN Sportsnation, it was alluded to that the Clippers didn't want to give him a 5th year.....
Anyways, the Clippers blew it....
The Commissioner of the NBA hands you one of the premier point guards in the NBA to build your team around and you surround him with guys that can't get it done in crunch time? You could see the frustration during game 7 vs Utah boil over when his body language pretty much said he's gone.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/28/report-clippers-never-committed-to-offer-chris-paul-five-year-max-contract/

$45 million for CP3 in the final year? Makes Kobe's $30 million look like a bargain...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/28/report-favoritism-for-austin-rivers-led-chris-paul-to-despise-doc-rivers/

Well we know how that turned out...

Usually a father coaching his kid is extra strict to dispel any notion of favoritism from other players. Seems Doc does the opposite and blatantly favors and protects his son in the team. Nepotism!
I've always thought he was also overrated as a coach, and totally sucks as a GM.

Listening to one of the sports shows today. They were talking about the trade. It was noted that Doc showed favoritism to Austin and some players don't like it. They also said Rivers and Paul didn't get along that well. It wouldn't surprise me if Doc was next.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

Not sure how things will work out for Houston. Paul + Harden is about as bad a backcourt fit as I can imagine, with both being so ball dominant, and Paul is declining, but still obviously a talent upgrade. Doesn't really matter, they won't beat or even scare Golden State. Paul should've gone to the Spurs if he wanted a chance at that.

Laker fans can't let it go and are still obsessed with Stern for nixing the CP3 trade to the Lakers as if we were guaranteed to win a 'ship if that deal went through.

But, like a Paul-Harden fit, I had questions how well Kobe and CP3 would mesh since they were both so ball dominant but with Kobe the one declining on that team.

Its tempting to say that of course that Lakers team would have won at least one 'ship, but I think we also expected the CP3 Clippers to do better too.

Would a Kobe-CP3-Howard team have beaten Miami's Big Three?

Bosh accepted his role and did what his team needed him to do. Howard had that weird reluctance to play to his strengths and do pick n rolls when you would have had the best pick n roll player in CP3.

And, I don't see a Kobe-CP3-Howard team beating the Golden State Warriors either.

I think that Lakers team would have been like the Clippers, who were good but not good enough to win where you shake you head at that wasted talent.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if Steve Ballmer is now having flashbacks of Microsoft buying Noika and regretting paying two billion for the Clippers when he thought he was buying a team primed to win a championship and with the threat of declining TV revenue from ESPN in the near future.

Buying Noika cost Ballmer his job, but at least it wasn't his own money, billions and billions of dollars, that Microsoft had to write off a few years later for that ill fated decision.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
I wonder if Steve Ballmer is now having flashbacks of Microsoft buying Noika and regretting paying two billion for the Clippers when he thought he was buying a team primed to win a championship and with the threat of declining TV revenue from ESPN in the near future.

Buying Noika cost Ballmer his job, but at least it wasn't his own money, billions and billions of dollars, that Microsoft had to write off a few years later for that ill fated decision.

I think the Clippers should change their name to the "LA Zunes".
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Chris Paul and James Haren on the same team? Can they combine to create one mega-flop?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject:

Austin Rivers will not be getting max contract next time, I guess.
The Players Association president despises him.

Sterling COME BACK!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
Bol wrote:

Laker fans can't let it go and are still obsessed with Stern for nixing the CP3 trade to the Lakers as if we were guaranteed to win a 'ship if that deal went through.

But, like a Paul-Harden fit, I had questions how well Kobe and CP3 would mesh since they were both so ball dominant but with Kobe the one declining on that team.

Its tempting to say that of course that Lakers team would have won at least one 'ship, but I think we also expected the CP3 Clippers to do better too.

Bosh accepted his role and did what his team needed him to do. Howard had that weird reluctance to play to his strengths and do pick n rolls when you would have had the best pick n roll player in CP3.

And, I don't see a Kobe-CP3-Howard team beating the Golden State Warriors either.

I think that Lakers team would have been like the Clippers, who were good but not good enough to win where you shake you head at that wasted talent.

The Warriors came around after the time period in which the Chris Paul, Kobe, and Howard trio woild have had their championship window. Our main opposition would have been Miami, San Antonio, and OKC.

The season in which we would have gotten Paul was the season in which Dwight needed back surgery... I don't see how Dwight being on the Lakers would have begated either that or his post-surgery decline. We weren't getting the Orlando version of Dwight even with Chris Paul, though it's a fun hypothetical.

Not sure that team beats Miami.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

They locked DeAndre in a house, got em to renege and now... peace out. Lol, tricked
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
Bol wrote:

Would have just added another player to the ever growing list of guys who got sick of playing with Dwight
WestwoodWizard
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
Bol wrote:

It's impossible to say whether or not that team would have won rings. It's certainly possible that they could have, but in no way would have been guaranteed. In my opinion, however, that isn't really the point. I think the problem most Lakers fans have with the situation is that Stern interfered with an agreed upon trade, citing "basketball reasons" as his rationale. I was not visiting this board during that time, but I would imagine that most here saw the situation as Stern caving to the protests of other NBA owners who did not want to deal with yet another strong Lakers team. Outcomes aside, what Stern did was wrong. He had appointed an acting chairman (Sperling) to run the Hornets, only to go against Sperling's (and the GM, Demps) decision to make that trade, by vetoing it on behalf of the rest of the league. It was clearly a conflict of interest.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

Ubuntu.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16
Jump to: