Lakers-Celtics 30 for 30 (Chick Hearn game calls wanted)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Lakers-Celtics 30 for 30 (Chick Hearn game calls wanted)

Hey, guys. As you may know there some Lakers-Celtics 30 for 30s coming out this summer. They are looking for a little help:

Quote:
I am one of the producers of the ESPN 30 for 30 about the Lakers and Celtics.

We are trying to find lost calls of Chick Hearn.

Would it be possible to mention our need for personal audio recordings of Chick Hearn doing the NBA finals in the 80s, especially when the Lakers and Celtics squared off?

We would ask that people contact us via lakers30for30 @ hockfilms.com

Thank you very much and all the best,

Alex Evans
www.hockfilms.com
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Send a PM to NPZ!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

NPZ is the one you want.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I got you. Lemme just hit up my source.

(Picks up phone)

Yo NPZ where you at?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I have full confidence in NPG and the rest of the site to deliver.

In fact, it is in the refrigerator.

The door is closed

The light is out

The butter is getting hard

And the jello is a-jiggling!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

I'll contact him, see more specifically what he's asking for. Audio recordings and raw footage are different things. There's clips from a show from 72 called The Way It Was hosted by Curt Gowdy that has a few Chick calls from the 1962 Gm 7 loss at Boston. It's a panel show featuring Chick/various Lakers and Bastard Red/various Celtics. Only such clips I've ever heard, including the tragic miss at the buzzer by Frank Selvy, the ball not getting into Logo's hands. KCAL used snippets from that show on their Chick retrospective when he died. I can't figure why they don't have access to stuff like that. Seems to me they could just contact KCAL or the NBA.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I'll contact him, see more specifically what he's asking for. Audio recordings and raw footage are different things. There's clips from a show from 72 called The Way It Was hosted by Curt Gowdy that has a few Chick calls from the 1962 Gm 7 loss at Boston. It's a panel show featuring Chick/various Lakers and Bastard Red/various Celtics. Only such clips I've ever heard, including the tragic miss at the buzzer by Frank Selvy, the ball not getting into Logo's hands. KCAL used snippets from that show on their Chick retrospective when he died. I can't figure why they don't have access to stuff like that. Seems to me they could just contact KCAL or the NBA.

When did the NBA start fully recording every single game?
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Oh yeah. When Classic Sports was taken over by ESPN you'd think all that stuff was there to access. Let alone the NBA.

That show was cool for the winner but must have sucked to be on the losing end to have to relive and tell all while watching it via groovy 70's graphics and productions.

Anyway, doesn't KLAC 570 have those archives? I remember hearing bits when they signed off on their farewell broadcast(which I still miss!) and they had an audio retrospective.

Bye.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

NPZ's gonna inundate ESPN with Chick calling Sedale Threatt pull-up jumpers.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Oh yeah. When Classic Sports was taken over by ESPN you'd think all that stuff was there to access. Let alone the NBA.

That show was cool for the winner but must have sucked to be on the losing end to have to relive and tell all while watching it via groovy 70's graphics and productions.

Anyway, doesn't KLAC 570 have those archives? I remember hearing bits when they signed off on their farewell broadcast(which I still miss!) and they had an audio retrospective.

Bye.

I uploaded that show years ago. Talk about suck, Red lit up his cigar when they played the final secs ticking down. You can see the pain on the faces of the Lakers sitting there. Audio is bad on this, admittedly, I never got around to cleaning this footage up and re-upping it.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
NPZ's gonna inundate ESPN with Chick calling Sedale Threatt pull-up jumpers.

Left leaning jumpers. Sedale must be taught to newer generations. I read that he has tried to reconnect with his son Sedale, who looks just like him. He wasn't a good father for a long time, sorry to say. Hope he's making it as right as he can at this stage of his life.

spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
gumby wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Bye.

I uploaded that show years ago. Talk about suck, Red lit up his cigar when they played the final secs ticking down. You can see the pain on the faces of the Lakers sitting there. Audio is bad on this, admittedly, I never got around to cleaning this footage up and re-upping it.

Somehow I'd never seen this! Finding an undiscovered NPZ clip is like someone stumbling upon an old Shakespeare text that's just been out in the open in a library somewhere.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
gumby wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Bye.

Somehow I'd never seen this! Finding an undiscovered NPZ clip is like someone stumbling upon an old Shakespeare text that's just been out in the open in a library somewhere.

yea this is an incredible clip.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
gumby wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Bye.

Not sure how Selvy, Hundley and Elg kept themselves from standing up and shoving that cigar down Red's throat.

That said, Red, Russell and the Celtics just figured out the game better than anyone had before them, and that's why their teams won so often. The Lakers had Baylor and West, and they were warriors, but the Celtics just had the better and tougher team year after year. The end.

I hadn't seen that show in a long time, the final sequence of regulation was interesting on a couple of fronts. First, some of the accounts of the game over the years had Selvy blowing a wide open look from the corner. But the footage shows Cousy making a great defensive recovery, scrambling back to Selvy and leaping toward him just as he took the shot. And Russell was only a few feet away, and that was always enough to give any shooter something to think about.

Two, Hot Rod mentioned over the years about how he had a look and should have taken the shot etc. He didn't have a look. He was covered, that's why he passed the ball to Selvy. It should further be noted that Selvy made two great buckets down the stretch to tie the game. I'm guessing that hasn't provided him much comfort over the years, but he certainly doesn't and never deserved a pair of goat horns for that game.

Thanks as always to Mr. npz!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
gumby wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Bye.

Not sure how Selvy, Hundley and Elg kept themselves from standing up and shoving that cigar down Red's throat.

That said, Red, Russell and the Celtics just figured out the game better than anyone had before them, and that's why their teams won so often. The Lakers had Baylor and West, and they were warriors, but the Celtics just had the better and tougher team year after year. The end.

I hadn't seen that show in a long time, the final sequence of regulation was interesting on a couple of fronts. First, some of the accounts of the game over the years had Selvy blowing a wide open look from the corner. But the footage shows Cousy making a great defensive recovery, scrambling back to Selvy and leaping toward him just as he took the shot. And Russell was only a few feet away, and that was always enough to give any shooter something to think about.

Two, Hot Rod mentioned over the years about how he had a look and should have taken the shot etc. He didn't have a look. He was covered, that's why he passed the ball to Selvy. It should further be noted that Selvy made two great buckets down the stretch to tie the game. I'm guessing that hasn't provided him much comfort over the years, but he certainly doesn't and never deserved a pair of goat horns for that game.

RE: Red, he was the only cocky sob there. The players who've been there/done that showed enough respect for their opponents, even Heinsohn.

Yeah, yeah. Selvy earned his stripes down the stretch of that game. This wasn't like Mel "Smell" Counts taking shots late in Gm 7 in 1969. I watched that final quarter just once and I can't watch it again even though I wasn't alive then. That's rough. Idiot coach had to pull a power play in a Gm 7 even after Jack Kent Cooke went down to him and talked in his ear, probably saying to put Wilt back in. As you are well aware, Creek, Wilt and Butch van Breda Kolff had a scuffle in the locker room at Seattle a year before if my memory serves. I know 1962 must've sucked for West and Baylor et al, but 1969 takes the cake. Former Laker Tommy Hawkins used to go on Joe McDonnell's show a lot to talk about the olden days. I remember he said he was wearing his uniform while watching the closeout in 1985. Hundley called him up and asked him if he was watching and he replied, "I have my uniform on!" That tells you all you need to know about the misery that every Laker of the 60s went thru. After Magic made those mistakes in 84, he apparently cloistered himself away from the public out of shame and disappointment. When has Earv ever not wanted to be in public, right?

Your take about the openness of Hundley/Selvy, etc reminds me of Magic's airball at the end of the 81 clincher vs HOU. It's simply presented as a bad shot and the play was drawn up for Kareem. I've seen it, the footage is out there, he didn't have a passing lane to Kareem. If he did, he would've gotten it to him. No one can challenge Magic on his expertise in passing the ball. He went to Plan B and drove into the yellow to put up a shot and got converged on at the last second and he couldn't extend his arm enough to hit the rim. The problem is that he missed. In the Baby Hook gm in 87, a lot of people think he could've passed it to Kareem, but instead, he did the same thing by driving it himself. Difference is he hit it. Kudos from every corner. Way it goes.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

OK, ladies and broz. I emailed them. Told them what I got, will see if he replies back. Thx to The Dude! Dancing Barry for the heads-up!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Mid 80s, if that? Even early 80s content is very scarce from my experience. They lost a lot of their own history, but that was par for the course pre-VCR era. I went on a wikipedia binge on recording methods dating back to the 40s and it was a long journey before recording and retaining televised content was made feasible. A lot of other TV shows from the 60s and 70s have lost episodes. I think the cost of media back then was such that they just reused it for as long as they could. I read that there's only 13 known NBA gms featuring Pete Maravich. That's one hell of a loss. Too bad. Not even to mention Jerry and Elgin.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
danzag wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Mid 80s, if that? Even early 80s content is very scarce from my experience. They lost a lot of their own history, but that was par for the course pre-VCR era. I went on a wikipedia binge on recording methods dating back to the 40s and it was a long journey before recording and retaining televised content was made feasible. A lot of other TV shows from the 60s and 70s have lost episodes. I think the cost of media back then was such that they just reused it for as long as they could. I read that there's only 13 known NBA gms featuring Pete Maravich. That's one hell of a loss. Too bad. Not even to mention Jerry and Elgin.

and they say only 3% of wilt's plays are on film.

i'm always amazed by the rules and/or the way things were called. they immediately call fouls, traveling, etc, even on the stars. they'll call an off arm push on offense, they won't allow the tiniest of travels. it's a much cleaner, sensible style of officiating. even the way they guard each other...it's funny how the old days has a reputation for being very rough and supposedly lots of contact. but there's way more contact today. the difference was that once in a while a player can clock another without a flagrant. but overall, FAR less contact.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
gumby wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Bye.

RE: Red, he was the only cocky sob there. The players who've been there/done that showed enough respect for their opponents, even Heinsohn.

Yeah, yeah. Selvy earned his stripes down the stretch of that game. This wasn't like Mel "Smell" Counts taking shots late in Gm 7 in 1969. I watched that final quarter just once and I can't watch it again even though I wasn't alive then. That's rough. Idiot coach had to pull a power play in a Gm 7 even after Jack Kent Cooke went down to him and talked in his ear, probably saying to put Wilt back in. As you are well aware, Creek, Wilt and Butch van Breda Kolff had a scuffle in the locker room at Seattle a year before if my memory serves. I know 1962 must've sucked for West and Baylor et al, but 1969 takes the cake. Former Laker Tommy Hawkins used to go on Joe McDonnell's show a lot to talk about the olden days. I remember he said he was wearing his uniform while watching the closeout in 1985. Hundley called him up and asked him if he was watching and he replied, "I have my uniform on!" That tells you all you need to know about the misery that every Laker of the 60s went thru. After Magic made those mistakes in 84, he apparently cloistered himself away from the public out of shame and disappointment. When has Earv ever not wanted to be in public, right?

Your take about the openness of Hundley/Selvy, etc reminds me of Magic's airball at the end of the 81 clincher vs HOU. It's simply presented as a bad shot and the play was drawn up for Kareem. I've seen it, the footage is out there, he didn't have a passing lane to Kareem. If he did, he would've gotten it to him. No one can challenge Magic on his expertise in passing the ball. He went to Plan B and drove into the yellow to put up a shot and got converged on at the last second and he couldn't extend his arm enough to hit the rim. The problem is that he missed. In the Baby Hook gm in 87, a lot of people think he could've passed it to Kareem, but instead, he did the same thing by driving it himself. Difference is he hit it. Kudos from every corner. Way it goes.

Indeed, 68-69 was Wilt's first season with the Lakers and he and Van Breda Kolff took an immediate and intense dislike to one another. VBK was a very old school hard-nose back in the days when old school wasn't old. When the Lakers got Wilt from Philly, the media asked VBK how he would deal with Chamberlain who fairly or not had a reputation at the time as a "coach killer". VBK replied something along the lines of "I can handle him". Wilt later famously said "horses are 'handled', not men". So needless to say, there was no love lost from the beginning.

In the haunted Game 7 of 1969, Counts did hit a couple of shots after Wilt got hurt, and the Lakers made a big comeback down the stretch. VBK stupidly figured he could win the title and embarrass Wilt at the same time. Cooke, who liked Wilt at the time (as with Jerry West, Cooke's relationship with Wilt would not end well), was absolutely livid after the loss and VBK resigned in lieu of being fired. Not that Cooke hanging prominently visible balloons in the rafters and hiring the USC Marching Band to play "Happy Days Are Here Again" at the final buzzer of the Lakers presumed victory - and drawing up a memo directing the same, a copy of which somehow made its way into the Celtics' hands prior to the game - had anything to do with Game 7's unhappy ending! Yes, 1969 did indeed take the cake...

The 1985 title over the C's did indeed mean something to some of those old Lakers. There is a great photo of Tommy Hawkins in front of his TV on the day of the clinching game with his old Lakers uniform on. Ol' No. 33, predating Kareem by a few years...

Yes, Magic in 1981, Selvy in 1962...as the newspaperman famously said at the end of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

The problem Magic had at the dawn of the 1981 playoffs was that he was rusty after missing much of the regular season with a knee injury, and his sort of open feud with Norm Nixon that was playing out in the papers as that series commenced. The media was beginning to turn on him, and the Houston loss was laid at his feet. Then Dr. Buss gave him the 25 year, $25 million contract that summer, which caused rather cerebral Lakers such as Kareem and Jamaal Wilkes to openly wonder if Magic was now also part of management. Then a few months later, Magic (correctly) made Paul Westhead disappear, which deluged Magic with bad press. Fortunately, Magic was made of stern stuff and a few months later they won another title.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
danzag wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Prior to his becoming just another blathering TV hack, Mike Wilbon was a pretty good columnist for the Washington Post, and in 1996 he wrote a column called "The NBA History Tree Is Missing Its Recorded Roots". I would have linked it here, but it's hidden behind a paywall now.

Wilbon correctly bemoans the lack of videotape of the pre-1980s days. He quotes then commissioner David Stern in the piece. "We had to convince the owners in 1980-something to spend $140,000 for VCR equipment. I think it was 1981. That's when we started to tape our games."

13 games of Maravich and I'm guessing most of those are from the tail end of his career when he was hobbling around with Bird and the Celtics. Wilt, Oscar, Jerry, Elgin. Russell. If today's fans could see those guys at their real peak, they would see the skill, ability and ferocity with which those greats played the game.

According to Bill Simmons in his basketball book, he was given access to a few old games still existing on videotape which he viewed at the offices of NBA Entertainment. If I'm remembering correctly, one of the games he claimed to have watched was one of Wilt's 60 or 70-something point nights vs. the Knicks. So if that's true (and I don't like Simmons but I'll assume he wasn't lying about it), then there's at least a few games that the league is sitting on for some reason. Why they won't let out whatever they have so the fans could have access to it is beyond me.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

http://chickhearn.ytmnd.com/
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
OK, ladies and broz. I emailed them. Told them what I got, will see if he replies back. Thx to The Dude! Dancing Barry for the heads-up!

Good work NPZ!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Good work NPZ!

Word. I talked to the two main guys who used to be with NBA Ent in the 80s, probably some of the people who produced hi-lites and championship vids etc. That's pretty cool. I have the kind of Chick material they were searching for and I'm about to ship it soon. My best expectation for this production is to see ANYthing of mine woven into it, and only I'll know for sure, so it's more for my own audio/video ego. I doubt I'm gonna be in the credits, and I don't mind if not. It might just be a few secs worth of content here and there if I'm lucky. Lakers vs Celtics is a giant subject, obv. I'm sure they're getting some Celtic mud from the Chowdaheads, too. Red Auerbach stuff, etc.

I've noticed clips from my Youtube channel used in those Top 10 shows on Spectrum. The clips have the same flaws that the YT upload has and it's stuff that I guarantee you Spectrum doesn't have in their volts. They're pretty light on historical content in general. They just use Jaime's glorious ass/ets to keep us tunin in. For example, there's a clip of Chick getting a birthday cake and balloons at a game at Portland in 93 and a snippet of Stu interviewing Mychal T at halftime of that same game. On a local podcast about a year ago, they used a stream of Chick calls from my Magic vid. Then ESPN just plain used my link as their video for Magic in that Top 100 players countdown. My man J.A. is a fan. I've gotten the Kaminiskys to put some of my links up on the LAT website before. I'm the King Of All Media, 22.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

Wilbon correctly bemoans the lack of videotape of the pre-1980s days. He quotes then commissioner David Stern in the piece. "We had to convince the owners in 1980-something to spend $140,000 for VCR equipment. I think it was 1981. That's when we started to tape our games."

And as you're well aware, decks in 81 cost like a G at minimum, some top tier home models at 2-3 grand. We're not even talking those large professional recording machines that NBA teams probably bought. I didn't even see a VCR in person until 84, when did you get your first one, Zeke? Also there were a lot of derelict franchises back then who had sell off players and picks just to stay in the black. Utah sold the rights to Nique for a million bucks and I remember an older Jazz fan saying they would've folded if they signed him, they were that close. That league is light years away from what it is today, with teams like the Lakers now being penalized left and right for basketball reasons.

I'm a Van Halen fan and they have a similar situation. They have a shameful lack of video of them playing from 78 to about 81, their prime. There's a promo lip sync vid of theirs from 80 that appears to be a Kinescope recording off of a rounded TV screen. A German television segment that was filmed on actual film from the camera aimed at the screen. If that's true, that truly proves that VCRs were unicorns until about 82 at the earliest. I don't remember video stores cropping up everywhere til 85.

I'm wearing that same outfit Dave has on, btw.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
22 wrote:
Good work NPZ!

Word. I talked to the two main guys who used to be with NBA Ent in the 80s, probably some of the people who produced hi-lites and championship vids etc. That's pretty cool. I have the kind of Chick material they were searching for and I'm about to ship it soon. My best expectation for this production is to see ANYthing of mine woven into it, and only I'll know for sure, so it's more for my own audio/video ego. I doubt I'm gonna be in the credits, and I don't mind if not. It might just be a few secs worth of content here and there if I'm lucky. Lakers vs Celtics is a giant subject, obv. I'm sure they're getting some Celtic mud from the Chowdaheads, too. Red Auerbach stuff, etc.

I've noticed clips from my Youtube channel used in those Top 10 shows on Spectrum. The clips have the same flaws that the YT upload has and it's stuff that I guarantee you Spectrum doesn't have in their volts. They're pretty light on historical content in general. They just use Jaime's glorious ass/ets to keep us tunin in. For example, there's a clip of Chick getting a birthday cake and balloons at a game at Portland in 93 and a snippet of Stu interviewing Mychal T at halftime of that same game. On a local podcast about a year ago, they used a stream of Chick calls from my Magic vid. Then ESPN just plain used my link as their video for Magic in that Top 100 players countdown. My man J.A. is a fan. I've gotten the Kaminiskys to put some of my links up on the LAT website before. I'm the King Of All Media, 22.

Yessir NPZ! Without a doubt, that's why everyone knew you refer to you in this thread

They really should put you in the credits though. W/o you they wouldn't have the clips they need.

Respect to people who use your content and give credit/links. It's only right
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: