Grass Fed(Tim DiFrancesco) Resigns--Rondre Jackson, Tania Jolly, and Sean Light let go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The one thing theybare likeliest to miss is the guy who makes the call on the draft picks and such. Their scouting is good, but it was always Mitch who decided alone on the actual trigger to pull. You can't do that by committee. Someone eventually has to decide among the different views, and that someone is as yet unknown.

I actually think Mitch was coerced into taking DLo. I swear it was written all over his face when he called the pick in.
And it was actually the right pick. No regret on not taking Porzingis (who'm some reports had as #3 on our list). Certainly hope Mitch didn't love Okafor.

Nah, it was a ballsy call (and im sure not without some trepidation), but he took full responsibility for those, although he would often deflect some credit to a scout or staffer (Ryan and Jesse on Clarkson, Lester on Bynum, their euro scout on zubac)
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious if Clay Moser will retain his current role.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The one thing theybare likeliest to miss is the guy who makes the call on the draft picks and such. Their scouting is good, but it was always Mitch who decided alone on the actual trigger to pull. You can't do that by committee. Someone eventually has to decide among the different views, and that someone is as yet unknown.

I actually think Mitch was coerced into taking DLo. I swear it was written all over his face when he called the pick in.
And it was actually the right pick. No regret on not taking Porzingis (who'm some reports had as #3 on our list). Certainly hope Mitch didn't love Okafor.

Nah, it was a ballsy call (and im sure not without some trepidation), but he took full responsibility for those, although he would often deflect some credit to a scout or staffer (Ryan and Jesse on Clarkson, Lester on Bynum, their euro scout on zubac)

Ya he did always take responsibility.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I've always said that the most necessary and toughest job is the guy who when there's a tough call and no pure obvious answer and everyone is in different camps on what to do, makes the solid call. It is a tough thing, and no amount of collaboration, upgradingnanalytics, or adding scouts changes that at some point, one person has to decide.

This is something I've taught to youngsters about being the boss. That moment when there's no good or easy call and when you look over your shoulder for help, there's no one there.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Your answer to number six is in the article. There is no longer another, more senior assistant gm. Jesse is now it, and while ryan is involved in two tiers of the scouting, Jesse oversees all of them. Jesse was the key family vote on the change. If he doesn't go along, no majority. There's a reason he's been inserted into the narrative and has quietly recreated where Jim was a couple decades ago vis a vis Jerry buss (now jeanie), Jerry West (now magic), and Mitch (now pelinka).

Yea certain things can be seen between the lines. He went from the guy who got chastised for getting caught pissing outside to being portrayed as a big part of the front office.

But I'm still curious about how much they relied on Ryan and if he leaves the organization in the near future since he won't be the GM. The Kings had offered him a position, but he declined.

That is sometimes the nature of things when family/owners are also involved in the day to day operations of a business. Jerry (Ryan's father) was less than happy with some of the things that happened in the organization such as the Jeanie and Phil pairing. I have no idea if Ryan had already considered the possibility that things might not go as expected in regards to his eventual ascension to GM of the Lakers.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject:

Magic, I haven't thought much of you heading in but this is a very good decision.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Wouldn't that be Pelinka now?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Who knows?
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

isn't it Magic? He pretty much came out and said that's what he wanted to do:

Feb. 10, 2017

Magic Johnson said he wants to “call the shots’’ for the Los Angeles Lakers, a week after it was announced he has rejoined the team as an adviser to owner Jeanie Buss.

“Working to call the shots, because it only works that way,’’ Johnson told USA TODAY Sports when asked what he hopes his role with the franchise will be. “Right now I’m advising. I get that. But at the end of the day, then we all got to come together and somebody’s got to say, ‘I’m making the final call,’ all right? And who’s that going to be?

“So, we’ll see what happens.’’

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/02/10/magic-johnson-shot-caller-los-angeles-lakers/97732992/
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Who knows?

My inferred guess is Magic, my delusion hope is Pelinka
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Who knows?

My inferred guess is Magic, my delusion hope is Pelinka

The concern here is that neither guy is tested in that arena. And as we've seen time and again, in both directions, you can't really say how a guy will do until he's in that chair. And even obvious looking skills may or may not transfer.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina
More changes with Lakers. Scout Chaz Osborne is no longer part of the team.

Say it ain't so
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:

Say it ain't so

the bartender?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Your answer to number six is in the article. There is no longer another, more senior assistant gm. Jesse is now it, and while ryan is involved in two tiers of the scouting, Jesse oversees all of them. Jesse was the key family vote on the change. If he doesn't go along, no majority. There's a reason he's been inserted into the narrative and has quietly recreated where Jim was a couple decades ago vis a vis Jerry buss (now jeanie), Jerry West (now magic), and Mitch (now pelinka).

Yea certain things can be seen between the lines. He went from the guy who got chastised for getting caught pissing outside to being portrayed as a big part of the front office.

But I'm still curious about how much they relied on Ryan and if he leaves the organization in the near future since he won't be the GM. The Kings had offered him a position, but he declined.

That is sometimes the nature of things when family/owners are also involved in the day to day operations of a business. Jerry (Ryan's father) was less than happy with some of the things that happened in the organization such as the Jeanie and Phil pairing. I have no idea if Ryan had already considered the possibility that things might not go as expected in regards to his eventual ascension to GM of the Lakers.

If I were Ballmer I would pry Ryan West away, have him work with Doc as long as he is there and then make him GM.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Tue May 09, 2017 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

zoom K083 wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:

Say it ain't so

the bartender?

That is a false dirty rumor. He attended bars. He did not tend bars.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Man this is some epic freaking house cleaning by this new regime.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

NOT CHAZ
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Who'll mix drinks now.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Man this is some epic freaking house cleaning by this new regime.

So far the only news we've gotten is a bunch of dude's losing their jobs...
Billium
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

If I were Ballmer I would pry Ryan West away, have him work with Doc as long as he is there and then make him GM.

If I was Ryan I would hold out for the Philly job, Colangelo was forced onto the 76ers because the NBA was tired of the process. If they don't make the playoffs next year he is gone. Easy situation for Ryan to step into and the stink of the process will be off him.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

I would keep watch on this page:

http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobskey.cfm?s=lakers

They won't post the top positions on here but likely will for the guys underneath them. So far, I see an opening for an assistant strength and conditioning coach.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
zoom K083 wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:

Say it ain't so

the bartender?

I can't believe Chaz was still cashing a paycheck post Jimbo/Mitch...

He makes a fantastic Pina Colada I am told.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
epak wrote:
zoom K083 wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:

Say it ain't so

the bartender?

Lol. In all seriousness, according to those who have interacted with him, he's a good guy and a competent one, but he was mostly in an administrative role, and has a personal the to Jim, so yeah, he was a dead man walking. The fact that they are getting around to it three months in is another sign of a poorly run transition. You purge everyone you can all at once and as early as possible.
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Lol. In all seriousness, according to those who have interacted with him, he's a good guy and a competent one, but he was mostly in an administrative role, and has a personal the to Jim, so yeah, he was a dead man walking. The fact that they are getting around to it three months in is another sign of a poorly run transition. You purge everyone you can all at once and as early as possible.

I think it would have been too much of a distraction if everyone was fired/resigned in the middle of the season. It was already huge when jim and mitch were let go.
Billium
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
epak wrote:
zoom K083 wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:

Say it ain't so

the bartender?

How do we know whose decision this was and what it was based on? All it says is that he is no longer part of the team. He could have seen the shake up and decided he didn't want to do the new job they had for him. His contract could have run out and he wanted more responsibility with the changes and they couldn't hammer out a new contract that both parties felt was fair. There are a multitude of reasons he is no longer with the team and I am going to need some facts that support your assertion that it shows signs of a poorly run transition.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21
Jump to: