CBS Sports ranks the future of the non-playoff teams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: CBS Sports ranks the future of the non-playoff teams

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-futures-of-non-playoff-nba-teams-wolves-top-pack-lakers-need-paul-george/

Lakers at #6 but the writer says if they get Paul George, that changes everything and can make that major leap to contention. he also says if you get PG13 everything is on the table and you can end up bringing in Cousins or Griffin.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Thu May 04, 2017 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

The only team ahead of us I don't agree with is the Suns. They only have Booker, and then some long term projects that were just OK. But even then it's definitely reasonable to have them ahead of us, that's probably in line with outsider perspectives around the league.

The Pelicans too. I guess you kind of have to rank them high because they have Cousins and AD, but Cousins could leave after next year, and the rest of their team is pretty trash.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

As much as I hate it, the Celtics should be on that list.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
As much as I hate it, the Celtics should be on that list.

Non-playoff teams only.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
The only team ahead of us I don't agree with is the Suns. They only have Booker, and then some long term projects that were just OK. But even then it's definitely reasonable to have them ahead of us, that's probably in line with outsider perspectives around the league.

The Pelicans too. I guess you kind of have to rank them high because they have Cousins and AD, but Cousins could leave after next year, and the rest of their team is pretty trash.

If we get PG13 and another star player we will easily leap frog most of the teams ahead of us..
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

I read CBS Sports because they aggregate a lot of information....kind of a one stop shop...but I hate their original content. Matt Moore reminds me of a guy that spent many periods in high school stuffed in a locker, and now is punishing the world with weak snarky hate....and James Herbert is not much better.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

Good stuff.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Surprisingly optimistic from CBS.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

We have a lot of folks here that don't want to make a trade because they are sure we are going to contend just developing our young kids.

I found CBS realistic if you take into account they are talking just about lottery teams.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

We have a lot of folks here that don't want to make a trade because they are sure we are going to contend just developing our young kids.

I found CBS realistic if you take into account they are talking just about lottery teams.

I'm pro-breaking up the core as long as it's the right deal. Not even talking a win-now deal... The reality is that there's maybe 1-2 guys in Ingram and Nance who project to be a good defender and maybe 1-2 young guys in Ingram/DLO who project to be good shooters among the core. And I don't have perfect faith in DLO and Ingram to become good shooters, in fact still kinda skeptical of Ingram as a shooter down the road. I think they could use a shakeup and LAL is basically tied with PHX's young core.

Still places them ahead of plenty of other non-playoff teams who are on this list. Pretty fair. Matt Moore is usually pretty troll-y with Laker fans.

If anything, Philly is too high. They've got talent... But their best prospects have been injured. Not willing to rate them 2nd of all non-playoff teams until they prove they can stay on the court.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I think it's just as dangerous to become the Bulls as it is Orlando, if that makes sense.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
nash wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

I'm pro-breaking up the core as long as it's the right deal. Not even talking a win-now deal... The reality is that there's maybe 1-2 guys in Ingram and Nance who project to be a good defender and maybe 1-2 young guys in Ingram/DLO who project to be good shooters among the core. And I don't have perfect faith in DLO and Ingram to become good shooters, in fact still kinda skeptical of Ingram as a shooter down the road. I think they could use a shakeup and LAL is basically tied with PHX's young core.

Still places them ahead of plenty of other non-playoff teams who are on this list. Pretty fair. Matt Moore is usually pretty troll-y with Laker fans.

If anything, Philly is too high. They've got talent... But their best prospects have been injured. Not willing to rate them 2nd of all non-playoff teams until they prove they can stay on the court.

Getting the top 3 pick might put us in the same category as Philly and Minnesota in terms of young talent, but if we land PG13 and someone like Griffn then we are in conversation with the Spurs and Warriors.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
nash wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Getting the top 3 pick might put us in the same category as Philly and Minnesota in terms of young talent, but if we land PG13 and someone like Griffn then we are in conversation with the Spurs and Warriors.

To your first point, not exactly, because Minny and Philly are still adding a top pick to their cores as will Phoenix

Secondly, nah
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
nash wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

To your first point, not exactly, because Minny and Philly are still adding a top pick to their cores as will Phoenix

Secondly, nah

Just remembering the 76ers have more chances to get our pick than we have to keep it

Even if keep this pick we can just pray the player turns into an Embiid or Tows. One should be crazy to compare Julius, Dlo or Ingram to those players at this point.
SwissLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

76ers getting Fox/Fultz and Monk in the top 5 picks would be insane.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

In my brain we've already lost the pick and it is a gift if we keep it.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
nash wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Conversation with the Spurs and warriors regarding what? Being an nba team? Not in same galaxy as either team, especially the warriors.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

If true about the Pelicans (the rest is" trash"), we should reconsider just how steep and long a climb to respectability lay ahead for the Lakers. Jrue is a more complete two-way player than any guard we have today, even considering that his accomplished ceiling is set above the likely futures of either DAR and JC.
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
if we land PG13 and someone like Griffn then we are in conversation with the Spurs and Warriors.

Only if it's a "not as good" conversation.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

If true about the Pelicans (the rest is" trash"), we should reconsider just how steep and long a climb to respectability lay ahead for the Lakers. Jrue is a more complete two-way player than any guard we have today, even considering that his accomplished ceiling is set above the likely futures of either DAR and JC.

a) Jrue Holliday is not nearly as good as you think he is if you think Russell is unlikely to get to his level.

b) Jrue is a free agent anyways

c) They won a grand total of 8 more games than us with Anthony Davis and Holliday. That indicates that the rest of their team is indeed trash
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Ingram's development stalled?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

no...
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Ask me after may 16th.

It's not getting Paul George that's the big factor in our future prospect (at least not by trade...), it's keeping our pick(s).
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Did OP just compare George and Griffin to Curry/Klay/Durant/Green? Lmao
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
In my brain we've already lost the pick and it is a gift if we keep it.

That's actually how it is. We don't have a pick. With luck, we will get one.

But we traded it already. It is not the case that we have a pick to lose as many suggest.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: