CBS Sports ranks the future of the non-playoff teams
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

People still don't realize how talented we are. Ingram and Russell will be very dynamic perimeter duo in a few years. We just didn't give them green light to score. Zubac and Randle could be good front court combo too. Plus role players like Ennis, Clarkson, Young, Nwaba, Brewer, Deng, Nance, Black. We just have to be patient.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
People still don't realize how talented we are. Ingram and Russell will be very dynamic perimeter duo in a few years. We just didn't give them green light to score. Zubac and Randle could be good front court combo too. Plus role players like Ennis, Clarkson, Young, Nwaba, Brewer, Deng, Nance, Black. We just have to be patient.

What exactly are you seeing that even tops what Portland has right now - an 8th seed in the west ?...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:

You're talking 2-3 years minimum.

Lakers still have to beat out Portland, Denver, Minny just to name a few teams that have a young core.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sina wrote:

Lakers still have to beat out Portland, Denver, Minny just to name a few teams that have a young core.

This

It is clear we have talent, the problem is that it is also clear that a handful of other teams have better young talent than us.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

If we get PG, we will make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed and get bounced in the first round.

but it's a start
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sina wrote:

Having talent hasn't equated to success even when I look at many of the recent lottery-dwelling clubs, including the T-Wolves, New Orleans, Milwaukee. They each have some talent more proven than any one guy we have. Our path is a long one.

Whatever potential lay within the perceived current Laker future core (Ingram, Randle, Zubac, DAR), the connection to seeing delivery of future success is a tenuous one. I'm not underestimating any one player's potential, but skill coaching, player fit with systems, player fit with each other (complementary skills and needs), player commitment to development, health luck and front office moves must each work with strongly in the same direction to make the playoffs before, well, three more seasons are completed. Not likely to happen anytime soon with a huge amount of good fortune.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sina wrote:

Having talent hasn't equated to success even when I look at many of the recent lottery-dwelling clubs, including the T-Wolves, New Orleans, Milwaukee. They each have some talent more proven than any one guy we have. Our path is a long one.

Whatever potential lay within the perceived current Laker future core (Ingram, Randle, Zubac, DAR), the connection to seeing delivery of future success is a tenuous one. I'm not underestimating any one player's potential, but skill coaching, player fit with systems, player fit with each other (complementary skills and needs), player commitment to development, health luck and front office moves must each work with strongly in the same direction to make the playoffs before, well, three more seasons are completed. Not likely to happen anytime soon with a huge amount of good fortune.

My point is even if we had a few near all star level players NOW, it's still inevitably a 2-3 process for young teams. 19-21 year old basketball players really aren't as great as people peg them to be, even if they will eventually end up as stars.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sina wrote:

My point is even if we had a few near all star level players NOW, it's still inevitably a 2-3 process for young teams. 19-21 year old basketball players really aren't as great as people peg them to be, even if they will eventually end up as stars.

I pretty much agree. Even the very few truly transcendent young players who come out of school transform a struggling team quickly. The Lakers have some nice pieces, but certainly nothing anyone should mistake for an immediate game-changer. For example, LeBron and KG each needed a third season at CLE and MINN to broach a .600 winning percentage, and those guys became first ballot HoF shoo-ins. I don't see anyone like that on our team today. It's gonna be a while and it's just something we fans have to accept.

What I do read into a lot of posters' vibe (not yours however) is about a belief that turning around the club is the next piece away from the playoffs, and I think that's just kidding ourselves. Lonzo Ball, Markell Fultz, Fox, Tatum and Jackson are all solid or nice players but transformative - probably not.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sina wrote:

I pretty much agree. Even the very few truly transcendent young players who come out of school transform a struggling team quickly. The Lakers have some nice pieces, but certainly nothing anyone should mistake for an immediate game-changer. For example, LeBron and KG each needed a third season at CLE and MINN to broach a .600 winning percentage, and those guys became first ballot HoF shoo-ins. I don't see anyone like that on our team today. It's gonna be a while and it's just something we fans have to accept.

What I do read into a lot of posters' vibe (not yours however) is about a belief that turning around the club is the next piece away from the playoffs, and I think that's just kidding ourselves. Lonzo Ball, Markell Fultz, Fox, Tatum and Jackson are all solid or nice players but transformative - probably not.

Yeah, if it is hard for guys like KAT right now, it's harder for our guys (who I think have all star potential but are a tier down from KAT). Folks have to understand how painful a "stay the course" (i.e. let the young kids develop) is going to be, and how unrealistic it is for THIS FO to adopt that strategy.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
If we get PG, we will make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed and get bounced in the first round.

but it's a start

What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game. - Jim Mora, 2001
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

I'm being cautious. Everyone else (not you. you keep it real) will predict a 2nd or 3rd round playoff run after we get PG.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

It's pretty sobering how for the most part, in the past 30 years, we were basically a guaranteed playoff team, or at worst, would miss 1 playoff in a quick reload/rebuild.

We are on year 4 of missed playoffs, with no immediate guarantee of getting back to the playoffs. Just crazy.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
I'm being cautious. Everyone else (not you. you keep it real) will predict a 2nd or 3rd round playoff run after we get PG.

You're right about getting bounced in the first round with just PG, at least for next year. The hope would be that DLO and Ingram become 20+ ppg players by their 3rd and 4th years respectively. Inw hich case 2nd round/WCF is reasonable.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

i agree
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: